Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 43  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1st world problems
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 13:16 
Paws for thought

Grim... wrote:
They don't though, they're just brighter (and a slightly different colour). You can easily spot them coming toward you and I've seen other drivers flash cars that aren't doing anything wrong.

Maybe its a height thing - I'd certainly be lower on the car than you, but my experience is that they entirely kill my ability to see.

Which doesn't greatly please me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 13:21 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I must admit, I did prefer it when the only cars on the road that had them were police cars. Made speeding on the motorway at night much easier.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 13:28 

Mr Dave wrote:
Grim... wrote:
They don't though, they're just brighter (and a slightly different colour). You can easily spot them coming toward you and I've seen other drivers flash cars that aren't doing anything wrong.

Maybe its a height thing - I'd certainly be lower on the car than you, but my experience is that they entirely kill my ability to see.

Which doesn't greatly please me.

.... Riiiiiight.

So according to you I'm somehow in the wrong here, despite having 100% standard, totally road-legal lights; that all those manufacturers who've spent many millions developing them are also wrong, as are all those safety bodies governing their use as well? Presumably therefore, it's quite okay in your book for people to not just briefly flash, but deliberately give it full-on, sustained beam, on dark, narrow roads, when oncoming at speed mere metres away - and I've got my missus or one of the kids in the car...?

For my part, that doesn't greatly please me, I can tell you.... ;)

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 13:29 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I flash back and wave.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 13:30 

Grim... wrote:
I flash back and wave.

Don't get chance most of the time, since many of the twats leave it until the very last possible minute, when they're right in front of me.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 13:36 

Cavey wrote:
So according to you I'm somehow in the wrong here, despite having 100% standard, totally road-legal lights;

It almost certainly is a height thing - driving the Celica at night is sometimes an exercise in annoyance because I'm sufficiently low enough that oncoming xenons are basically pointed straight into my face.

In the BMW, it tends to just be higher vehicles like Range Rover Sports etc. that cause it, but it's definitely a problem.

I only flash if I can see that they do actually have their main beams on.

Like I did the other day to a car coming towards me on the A5 dual carriageway with their main beams on - until I realised that, actually, they were on MY side of the carriageway 8)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 13:38 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I'd still argue that those cars have their headlights pointing too high.

You should be able to sit on the floor in front of them and be okay.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 13:47 

Yeah, I'm with Grim... on this. The alignment of a car's headlights must take its height into account such that regardless of vehicle size/height, the headlamps still shine on the same patch of road. (I believe headlamp alignment is tested as part of MoT)

In my case I wouldn't mind so much, but xenons (which TBH are excellent) were standard fit anyway...

Also Gaz, someone was coming at you in *your* carriageway...? 8) Shit, now *that* is something to complain about!

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 14:02 

Grim... wrote:

Well, yeah. But as I understand it they're required by law to self-level when they're switched on, which means that either a) the self-levelling is faulty, or b ) the level set by the manufacturer isn't right.

Cavey: Yep, someone else swerved to avoid her and ended up on their roof - it's the only time I've ever used my phone while driving (to call 999!) but I guess they couldn't catch up with her in time :/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 14:13 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

GazChap wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Well, yeah. But as I understand it they're required by law to self-level when they're switched on, which means that either a) the self-levelling is faulty, or b ) the level set by the manufacturer isn't right.

Hmm, that's new in the last three years then - the Mundano leveled (and centered, because it did the "point around corners" thing) when it started up, but you could still adjust them up and down manually if you liked.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 14:39 
Hello Hello Hello

Some are definitely worse than others, aren't there a few variations on the technology out there?

I know I've had oncoming cars on the mountain road (a totally pitch black unlit road at night if there's no moonlight) that have dazzled me to an extent that I've had to slow down considerably, such has been the effect of them. That's just on normal, not main beam.

4x4s seem to be particularly bad because they're higher up to start with.

The Scooby had LEDs and the C6 had xenons, but the Accord has traditional headlamps, and I have to say that I don't miss the LEDs/xenons at all, which I thought I would.

Maybe it's my imagination but the xenons of today seem a lot more ferocious than when they first started to turn up on the roads, ten years ago or whatever it was.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 14:56 

Grim... wrote:
GazChap wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Hmm, that's new in the last three years then - the Mundano leveled (and centered, because it did the "point around corners" thing) when it started up, but you could still adjust them up and down manually if you liked.

:shrug:

http://www.blindedbixenon.co.uk seems to have a bit of info on the subject, though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 14:58 

They should make windscreens like mirrors that just go really dark when headlights shine on them. I can't see any drawbacks to this idea at all.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 15:01 

I had to drive to Birmingham and back in MissChap's Yaris on Saturday, and it made me realise just how much the BMW has spoiled me - all the rear view mirrors in the BMW dim automatically if they get too much light shone in them, and the Yaris' don't.

I spent most of the journey with the manual dimmer activated because the lights of everyone behind me were so bright it was ridiculous.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 15:04 

I was quite amazed the first time mine did it. I hadn't even heard of it before.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 15:11 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It's hard to search for, but headlights are being developed that are constantly on main beam, and lots of thin "eyelashes" move over them to cover up the bits that would be shining onto oncoming cars.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 15:16 

My main point is that, even if you *do* think someone's lights are "too bright", or if they've got their high beam on, surely the thing to do is to slow down, briefly tap your high beam when still at a reasonably safe distance - as opposed to doing nothing until within 10 metres, then putting both normal and high beam on right into their faces?

Many's the time some twat has left their beam on; it happens to all of us. If they don't turn 'em off I just slow down until they've passed and then drive on. It seems seriously stupid to do anything else; why increase the hazard even more? If someone is veering all over the road, it's not as though you should too, so as to "teach them a lesson"...? (Besides, they're obviously fucking dozy to have done this in the first place - and quite possibly pissed. I had xenons on my TT 11 years ago now; they're hardly new fangled).

I truly despair of drivers/driving. As a motorcyclist, the standard - and temperament - of your average driver on the road, in charge of 2 tonnes of flying metal, is truly terrifying.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 15:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It's best to turn your lights on and off to flash someone at nighttime, rather than flip your main beam on.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 15:37 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
It's best to turn your lights on and off to flash someone at nighttime, rather than flip your main beam on.

I can't do that unless I turn auto lights off completely.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 15:38 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

SilentNight wrote:
Grim... wrote:

That sounds daft. On a Ford the options on the dial switch are "Off", "Side", "On", "Auto" - so you just flip it off and back to auto again.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 17:02 
Chinny chin chin

Grim... wrote:
It's hard to search for, but headlights are being developed that are constantly on main beam, and lots of thin "eyelashes" move over them to cover up the bits that would be shining onto oncoming cars.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 17:09 

:excellent:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 17:48 

Top tip, if you meet a fanny that doesn't dip their lights or has badly adjusted ones or there's too much glare* then slow down & watch the line/verge as far ahead as you can until they've passed and are away burning some other poor cunt's retinas.

Cavey wrote:
My main point is that, even if you *do* think someone's lights are "too bright", or if they've got their high beam on, surely the thing to do is to slow down, briefly tap your high beam when still at a reasonably safe distance - as opposed to doing nothing until within 10 metres, then putting both normal and high beam on right into their faces?
I think the folk that do that are just spackers rather than deliberately trying to teach you a lesson. You see a lot of that at the start of autumn because nae cunt remembers** what the fuck they are meant to be doing at night!
*Clean your glasses and your windscreen inside & out, it's probably your fault!
**I reckon half of them don't even know what they're meant to be doing in the first place. This is one of those rare moments where I'm in 100% agreement with Cavey! ;) There a lot of terrifying eejits out there that should probably not be allowed to operate heavy, fast moving & potentially dangerous machinery.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 18:18 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
SilentNight wrote:
Grim... wrote:

That sounds daft. On a Ford the options on the dial switch are "Off", "Side", "On", "Auto" - so you just flip it off and back to auto again.

If my lights are turned to the off position, they still come on when I turn the ignition on and it's dark. I need to jigger around with the settings and turn auto off for that not to happen. Because French.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 19:44 

Wullie wrote:
Top tip, if you meet a fanny that doesn't dip their lights or has badly adjusted ones or there's too much glare* then slow down & watch the line/verge as far ahead as you can until they've passed and are away burning some other poor cunt's retinas.

Cavey wrote:
I think the folk that do that are just spackers rather than deliberately trying to teach you a lesson. You see a lot of that at the start of autumn because nae cunt remembers** what the fuck they are meant to be doing at night!
*Clean your glasses and your windscreen inside & out, it's probably your fault!
**I reckon half of them don't even know what they're meant to be doing in the first place. This is one of those rare moments where I'm in 100% agreement with Cavey! ;) There a lot of terrifying eejits out there that should probably not be allowed to operate heavy, fast moving & potentially dangerous machinery.

... Hey, me & Wullie agree about stuff! :)

:excellent:

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 19:47 
Hibernating Druid

Put a moth suit on and flap around on their bonnet.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 21:01 
Decapodian

Grim... wrote:

I think the latest A8 has full LED headlights where they can selectively disable parts of the beam to avoid blinding people. My Octavia will have a much cheaper version that switches high beam off and on.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 22:19 
Excellent Member

ugh I really hate those kinds of headlights
but I've never flashed my headlights at people driving cars that have them, what's the point? do people think you can/will turn them off?

I've had a rotten stressful everything-going-wrong kind of day, making me unfocussed and totally forgot to get a parking ticket as I dashed into the library to return some books. Come back to the car, no more then a few minutes later - guy giving me a parking ticket :(
So I ended up crying because of feeling stupid, and on top of that feeling stupid over crying over it
great

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 0:38 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Was it a council car park or a private car park? If its the latter, don't pay. You'll get away with it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:21 
Excellent Member

dutch town car park
it's going to go to my job who will pay it and then keep the money from my salary
although I'm obviously sorry about the money it's more the feeling stupid and the rest of the stressy day

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 17:44 
Excellent Member

There's quite a storm coming, and i can't decide if i'm going to surf tomorrow, Thursday or Friday. But i also don't know if my country can be described as "1st world", or if this is even a first world problem.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 17:45 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Yes it can, and yes being spoilt for choice on when to go surfing is quite definitely a first world problem.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 17:58 
My friends don't want to get drunk with me tonight :(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 18:05 
Unpossible!

RuySan wrote:
There's quite a storm coming, and i can't decide if i'm going to surf tomorrow, Thursday or Friday. But i also don't know if my country can be described as "1st world", or if this is even a first world problem.

Your country is Portugal, right?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 18:29 
Excellent Member

DavPaz wrote:
RuySan wrote:

Your country is Portugal, right?

Yes. According to wikipedia i can post on this thread

Quote:
Portugal is considered a developed country with an advanced economy and high living standards, listed with the nineteenth-highest quality of life index rating in the world as of 2005. It's one of the world's most globalized and peaceful nations

2005.... :facepalm:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 18:32 
Gogmagog

Go both days. A bad day in the sea is better than a good day in the office.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 17:42 
UltraMod

I bought what I thought was a red protective shell for my MBP, but it's not quite the colour in the photo.

I now have a pink MBP.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 19:01 
Decapodian

My purple iPhone case turned out to be pink as well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 19:15 
Worst

SilentNight wrote:
I bought what I thought was a red protective shell for my MBP, but it's not quite the colour in the photo.

I now have a pink MBP.

excellent.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 23:14 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I know I shouldn;t, but MBP? something phone?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 23:17 
INFINITE POWAH

Microscopic Beanshaped Penis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 23:18 
Excellent Member

MaliA wrote:

I chose Thursday. Big mistake.

Friday was the one.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 23:19 
INFINITE POWAH

MaliA wrote:

You do not live in Point Break, Mali.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 23:35 
Worst

Bobbyaro wrote:
I know I shouldn;t, but MBP? something phone?

Melt Banana Plyometrics.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 23:39 
ugvm'er at heart...

My blue poo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 23:39 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Macbook Pro.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 23:40 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Oh shit, doing it wrong. Monkey Buggers Potatoes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 23:41 
ugvm'er at heart...

Mali break point

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 23:54 
UltraMod

Mandy Blyth's Pornology.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 0:00 

Malleable Bollock Protectors

Reply to topic  [ 2112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 43  Next