Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: DayZ - Everyone is banging on about this
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:49 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

I now am the proud owner of this, damn it is good.

1st life got very over confident when I managed to punch a Z to death (needed a bandage after), then made the mistake of eating a rotten orange, after finding a screwdriver and a shovel I made for the town up the cost and had 4 Z's jump on me and eat me.....they be quick.

respawn

Ran to nearby town determined to get some gear and food the go hide in the trees, hear loud bang followed by black screen.....fuck

respawn

around 2 mins after spawning turn around after hearing a noise and see a guy with a axe charging at me, he then starts laughing like a loon over the open voice chat thing.

Go to respawn again and my better half clips me around the ear and tells me to go to bed :(

Think I am going to have to re-install fraps for this game it is hilarious. When I have gotten to grips with it a little more would be more than happy to team up with a few Beexers and see how long we can survive.

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 20:18 
Unpossible!

Trusting fool

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 20:25 
UltraMod

Yes, I need to get back on this.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 21:02 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

DavPaz wrote:
Trusting fool

:DD Not for much longer, don't think trusting anyone in this game is a good idea.

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:03 
Bad Girl

I reckon this is about as close to a Walking Dead simulator as you can get and my loading it up yesterday revealed as much.

Most people believe that the problem with DayZ are the players: they will shoot you. And when you are dead, you're dead and that's it.

This advanced knowledge lends the game a whole new twist for me. I don't want to die, I do want to survive and now I want to avoid people as much as possible. To me, this creates a perfect apocalypse scenario as you want to avoid the towns and cities as much as possible since you know that's where all the gun toting nutcases will congregate. This can lead to a solitary existence even on the most populated servers and I have no problem with that at all. The graphics, while not mind blowing, do a fantastic job of conveying an empty expanse of land with towns, cities, hamlets, factories, helicopter crash sites and so on. There is no music at all and the main noise throughout the game are the breathing noises created by the player character. Noises, which I must say, do a fantastic job of conveying breathlessness and exhaustion even when your character has been sprinting uphill for over 10 minutes. There is the sound of wind, sea and the odd bird noises but aside from that there is nothing to interrupt the lonely wandering. This is a good thing. It's even more jarring when your wandering is pockmarked by the sounds of distant gunfire or the noises of wandering zombies.

The zombies are a rather strange edition to the game. They are few and far between and tend generally to congregate in areas where you might expect them such as around the towns or the villages where the occupants have load since died. They aren't exactly aggressive and it will take a fair few hits to kill or incapacitate a player. The biggest threat poses by zombies are injuries inflicted on the player which will require the player to seek medical attention. Medical equipment is spare but thankfully not too sparse that you won't eventually find a medical kit or some bandages to wrap your wounds. You can even find T-shirts which you can wear or, in an emergency, tear into make-shift bandages. Zombies can be dispatched with weapons but should you be lucky enough to find a handgun or rifle and then also be lucky enough to find some ammo that fits your weapon that you won't want to waste it on the undead. The zombies also have a tendency to chase you for ages which can lead to a funny game of cat and mouse as you dart over to a neighboring house to hide only to find the zombie waiting outside for you even when you try and slip out the back exit. Or perhaps you manage to slip out the back and escape. Who knows, all sorts could happen. I thought I had managed to escape only to find some woman chewing on my leg about 10 minutes later while rifling around some shack. And it was bloody terrifying, as it should be.

There are plenty of bugs and problems, too many to list here, but a lengthy session yesterday just reveals how fantastic this game can be at creating your own narratives. Oh, and how it can be a back to basics gaming experience when it wants to me.

First things first, I had armed myself with a map that I found online. One of the main problems I had with starting with a new character was that it can seem pretty aimless and I wanted to find guns. Another problem was that the signs are all in Russian and any of the maps I found in game doesn't have the Russian character set and made locating myself on the map a fucking nightmare. The online solution helped since I could now locate myself and find my way to interesting places whilst avoiding the crowds.

I started at the beach, like everyone game, and made my way inland. I actually spotted some guy rummaging through the nearby buildings so I made a long trek into the woods with little provisions. Eventually I found a small village on the outskirts and after scoping it out for a minute I decided I'd have to start searching for provisions.

The prospect of finding people is scary and anyone that has played this will know that the tell tale signs of life are open doors. Open doors mean that looters have been this way before. I thought I'd chance it but after a decent search of a small number of houses it seems that the looter(s) had cleared the place out and all I could find was a dress to wear which had some extra pockets to put small items in.

A lengthy trek took me into the highlands and took absolutely forever since the map is massive. I resolved to find a small village in the highlands but the lack of provisions are seriously hampered my ability to go very far. I had been playing for what seemed like an hour already and my character was hungry and thirsty. I did make it to the village in the hills and was disappointed to find there were zombies about. This made rummaging around the 5 or 6 shacks somewhat difficult as I had to keep leading them on a merry dance before shutting the only door to each shack knowing that they would be waiting to chase me as soon as I emerged. There was also very little in the way of provisions. I found a medical pack, a rifle and an empty bottle. I took the tape out of the medical pack and fastened the empty water bottle to the end of the rifle to create a make-shift silencer but without any ammunition in sight this would be little more than a threat deterrent should I run into anyone.

The next place on the map was a factory that was a few miles away but downhill. The lengthy trek was killing my player however and the lack of food and water a constant noise at the edge of the screen in a prompt to remind me that I needed to take better care of myself. A look on the inventory showed that I was at an amber alert for both food and water and the amber was getting darker and would eventually turn red.

By the time I had reached the factory I was at a red alert. I was dying from starvation. The factory was little more than an empty car park with a small number of surrounding buildings. The buildings had bits of crap but crap that I sorely needed. A backpack for starters which was disappointingly empty. I milled around the factory structure which took far longer than it should as it was on 5 levels and items are normally concealed as tiny objects on the floor and can be placed absolutely anywhere. I found no food, no water but I found a bag of lime. Handy. I took it anyway...

The next place on the map was either a detour through the woods to a helicopter crash site that was miles away or a large town nearby. The town was near certain death if it was occupied when suddenly the colour from the screen started to bleed away as I started to succumb to starvation and thirst. If I didn't find something fast I was going to cark it so I decided to run as fast as I could to the town and get rummaging before making an escape with a bounty of food and water.

Starvation got the better of me however as the colour bleed got worse and the screen started to go blurry. By the time I arrived at the outskirts of the town, which was no where near as large as I thought it was going to be, I could barely discern objects. Finding objects on the ground would be an immense challenge suddenly as they are so small.

10 minutes later of ducking in and out of buildings and I had found nothing useful and it got worse when a zombie started following me around. A couple of hits and a Benny Hill style run around with a black and white blurry screen was challenging. It got the better of me though and made me bleed. I could bandage it up but imminent death from starvation was the highest priority.

Fortunately a can of beans presented itself. My savour! But with little way of opening the can the relief was short lived. Fortunately I am not an ape and had the tools for the job. A spade. I smashed open the can and spilled but 17% of the contents... but I wolfed it down nonetheless. That was not enough so I needed to get looking for more and quick sharp. The screen blur hadn't abated at all. I was ducking in and out of buildings, quick scan, got out, avoid zombie, go next door, shut door, quick scan, open door, avoid zombie, run next door, shut door. This continued along a row of terraced housing for a little while and whilst I found a can of tuna, which I greedily consumed, I hadn't found any water and both Hunger and Water were at Red Alert levels on the inventory screen.

I was running out of buildings but found an abandoned supermarket. Each and every shelf was empty. Except a cooking pot and a can of gas to run it. This would be immensely helpful if I had any food. I had ran out of buildings, scanned the map and made my way to the nearest locale with buildings but it was a distance away. I got to the edge of town and promptly collapsed unconscious. I didn't have to wait long to die however as the zombie soon caught up with me and started munching on my body while I started at the black screen: You are unconscious.

You are unconscious.

*rarrr*

You are unconscious.

*rarrr*

You are unconscious.

*rarrr*

You are unconscious.

*rarrr*

You are dead.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 14:13 
Bad Girl

Well that was a frustrating experience.

I spawned near a ship that had crashed on the rocks. I was able to go inside and explore, run along the top, look out into the sea, check all the rooms, climb the ladders and so on. I was fully kitted out, by the end of a 30 minute exploreathon, with bags, decent tops, army vest, a bag to put loads of stuff in and a great big wrench. I was exploring so long and forgot about my hunger and water levels despite just turning up and there wasn't much in the way of food on the ship. I thought I better make a dash for the exit and find a town when I dashed off the top of the ship and to my death. Clumsy dickhead.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 14:29 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Man, this sounds awesome. Is there any way of playing with a friend - ie. spawning together?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 14:46 
Hibernating Druid

I'd imagine Craster would like to spawn with you.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 14:46 
Bad Girl

I think Myp said there's no way to spawn right next to one another but since you spawn along the coast you can find each other easily enough with a bit of trekking and communicating.

So he said.

I haven't given it a shot though. Anyone on tonight? BeeX brigade hooooo!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 14:56 
Excellent Member

See this sounds like the worst game in the world to me. Almost all the stories about are along the lines of, "I spawned; spent ages achieving very little then died due to stupidity or something random I had no control over." Isn't that the opposite of fun?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 15:14 
Gogmagog

Bamba wrote:
See this sounds like the worst game in the world to me. Almost all the stories about are along the lines of, "I spawned; spent ages achieving very little then died due to stupidity or something random I had no control over." Isn't that the opposite of fun?

I suppose it depends on what you want from a game. If it is a narrative story with a moral lesson then it sounds like this is not it. I have been thinking a bit about this of late and come to the conclusion I want a story as a reward for collecting eggs or whatnot.

As this is open ended and is many short stories then it could be fun. I would be I interested to see how long it takes people to go and nobble others after starving to death umpteen times

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 15:19 
Bad Girl

It's true. My game yesterday can be abridged as "Went looking for food; didn't find any; starved to death." But there's something compelling about it: The atmosphere, the unknown, the fear of death. It's not fun - like Pacman is fun - it's engaging like, um, I dunno, it's an entirely different game to anything else I've played. It relies on your imagination a bit. If you've never hoped for a zombie apocalypse then this ain't for you, but if you've wondered how you might survive then this is as close as you'll get. Have you ever read The Road? It's kinda like playing that.

I can a hundred flaws in it but that doesn't make me want to stop playin it. I've found a military base highlighted on a map. It'll take some going but I desperately want to get there. It'll be a massive trek relying on some luck and probably multiple attempts, but I must find out what it is. It'll probably be a desolate structure with poor textures and not much incidental detail but that ain't stopping me.

Fascinating game in small doses here.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 15:27 
Excellent Member

The exploration aspect I can understand as it's exactly that which allowed Fallout 3 to grab me so hard but with F3 et al you know (a) there's very likely to actually be something at the location you're heading to because it's specifically been designed to reward you for wandering around and (b) you won't have all your progress wiped from either a sudden random event or just the slow death of a map empty of resources. It's like deciding progress by someone rolling a dice for you but it takes three hours for the thing to finally stop moving and when it does there's a 70% chance they'll have somehow rolled it right up your arse.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 15:28 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Is there any respawn mechanic at all or do you start back where you always start every time, with no stuff?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 15:30 
Bad Girl

Cras wrote:
Is there any respawn mechanic at all or do you start back where you always start every time, with no stuff?

That is the respawn mechanic in a nut shell.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 15:50 
Bad Girl

Bamba wrote:
The exploration aspect I can understand as it's exactly that which allowed Fallout 3 to grab me so hard but with F3 et al you know (a) there's very likely to actually be something at the location you're heading to because it's specifically been designed to reward you for wandering around and (b) you won't have all your progress wiped from either a sudden random event or just the slow death of a map empty of resources. It's like deciding progress by someone rolling a dice for you but it takes three hours for the thing to finally stop moving and when it does there's a 70% chance they'll have somehow rolled it right up your arse.

Insofar as (a) is concerned if you find some place you'll find some loot. As to what that loot may be I think it's randomised plus there's the chance someone could have looted the loot before you. The loot resets differently in different servers but it's usually every 4 hours, I think. The further into the map you go the less likely you are to find folk so densely but you may find them more well armed and but less aggressive. These folk have normally been surviving in the wilderness for a while but, then again, they might just be dicks. Just people, init.

(b) will always be a problem when you've got a human element to a persistent world. There's an element of luck but I'm sure if you removed the people I wouldn't have much trouble going to each town and snagging a load of provisions easily enough to help me survive for a couple of hours during which time I could find the next town and do the same. It's the people who make this game so dangerous.

Really it could do with an overarching campaign. Something to give you more purpose on your journey would be great but it doesn't seem as though this game is being developed in this fashion and will probably never get a full release from what I've heard.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 16:12 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
Something to give you more purpose on your journey would be great but it doesn't seem as though this game is being developed in this fashion and will probably never get a full release from what I've heard.

It's coming out for the PS4 so they won't get away with any 'early access' eternal beta shenanigans at that point.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 16:13 
Bad Girl

I don't reckon it'll ever be released on PS4. You heard it here first, folks.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 16:14 
Gogmagog

Bamba wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:
Something to give you more purpose on your journey would be great but it doesn't seem as though this game is being developed in this fashion and will probably never get a full release from what I've heard.

It's coming out for the PS4 so they won't get away with any 'early access' eternal beta shenanigans at that point.

Super!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 16:14 
Gogmagog

Saturnalian wrote:

BOO!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 20:25 
Bad Girl

Anyone wanna play with me for a bit? Today? About 30/40 minutes time? Anyone? DayZ? My headset actually works.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 21:32 
Bad Girl

I'm on! Who's on too! Who's on!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 22:11 
Hibernating Druid

Saturnalian wrote:

Tis!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 22:34 
Bad Girl

I'm still on!

No one is coming are they...

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 23:06 
Hibernating Druid

Not in the way you'd like.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:29 
Bad Girl

Since not a single person wanted to DayZ with me yesterday I set out on my own.

It's a mixed bag ain't it? It's buggy as shit sometimes but equally it can be quite beautiful too.

For instance, I went on this weird server with only a couple of people just so I could have a good stroll around and when I got there it was nighttime. I didn't even know DayZ had a day/night cycle. Anyway it's bloody creepy at night but you start with a flash light so it's all good. I'm not sure whether it was the lack of people but the area was more densely populated with zombies which made it scary fun as you get chased around in the dark or some bastard can pop up and start chomping on you whilst you're distracted looking for stuff. It's all good.

Anyway, the beautiful bit occurred when I came across some chem lights. You can break them and hold them as you walk about or drop them on the floor like little waypoints. They come in all colours: red, blue, white, yellow. All the colours of the rainbow. If those colours are red, blue or yellow. The effect is really good too as your vision is slightly limited by the glow of holding a chem light in front of your face just as I imagine it would be in the real world. So you get a better look of the surrounding area but reduced vision of the distance (not that you get much vision in the dark anyway, but it's so jarring as you cannot see anymore than a few feet in front of you). I even picked up a lamp that runs on gas that had the same effect. Then a light you wear on your head.

Hang on, I'm getting too much stuff. I found a place with shit loads of clothing and bags. Where's all the food? I didn't come across any food whatsoever. Or water. I lasted ages though until it seemed as though the server was just spawning chem lights. Chem lights, chem lights, chem lights. The server was fucked.

So before I switched it off I was turned back to notice that the chem light I stuck on top of a building could be vaguely seen glowing in the background. No doubt if this was a populated server that would be a beacon to scumbags to come and pop you.

I left wondering whether night would be the most awesome or most frustrating experience of them all and wanted to have a go at that soon.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:40 
Paws for thought

Quote:
Since not a single person wanted to DayZ with me yesterday I set out on my own

I want to, but I don't own the game, and would only be interested in getting it if I were sure it's not something we'd play once or twice and then bin.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:58 
Bad Girl

I bet you've got plenty of games like that! ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:45 
Paws for thought

I think I haven't played over half the games I own on steam.

Which is why I'm trying not to add to that list.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 13:53 
Bad Girl

Occasionally I'll dip into this and see what is happening.

I think I'm what you call "Casual".

I still play it as though I'm a real person in a real location so I'll avoid the cities, go wandering and savage from buildings and houses and tool sheds looking for that illusive weapon. I swear Steam has me down for having played 21 hours and during that entire time I've never shot a gun in anger. I'd be lucky if I could find a gun and then I'd feel extremely lucky if I could find the right ammo for it.

I picked up my character from my last location in "fuck-knows-where" which was a field somewhere in land. The wood was so densely packed that I couldn't see a single town or settlement nearby. I figure I must have gone trekking in the country in my last playthrough, got bored after an hour of going nowhere and turned it off.

In the distance I saw a structure on a hilltop which looked like a single building surrounded by woods. I was thinking maybe this was Hilltop from The Walking Dead so I set off on a 20 minute journey to see what was cracking. Turned out that building was the top of a ruined castle. It was bleeding awesome I saw. A destroyed tower surrounded by walls dotted about the place. So I thought I'd climb to the top of the tower and have a looky look. The vista was awesome (apart from the skybox glitching occasionally. Tch, aye?) but there weren't much around.

I had a look around the walls and found a hidey hole tucked away. AND A FUCKING BODY. This guy was packed to the rafters with weapons, ammo, food and all sorts of shit. Someone had just killed him and left him. I swear it was the scariest thing in the world so I pegged it out without so much as looting a single thing from this guy and went to hide in a tree for 20 minutes.

No one came. My heart was racing. So I slinked back in sure that this guy had some mates or his killers were still around. I knew that I couldn't talk my way out of any situation as I wasn't mic'ed up either so if I got cornered I'd be fucked.

I nicked the lot but made sure I had my original head wear (a natty red beret) on else I might get mistaken by his killers as him again or anyone in his same gang. This was the idea anyway.

Then I made a run for it! Then I hid in a tree again and waited.

No one came. I'd been playing for at least 90 minutes.

Fuck this, I thought, I'll log out or I'm getting capped with all this gear. So I turned it off.

This game scares the shit out of me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 13:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

That sounds amazing. I must give it a shot.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 14:52 
UltraMod

I'm happy to play DayZ with friends. Although how we find each other is a worry.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 15:20 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I'll be the guy with all your stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 15:21 
Bad Girl

Let's do this!

Go here, and print this map off in landscape.

http://orcz.com/images/b/b4/Chernarusma ... dalone.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 15:25 
Bad Girl

Actually this is the same one but with a better resolution: http://orig14.deviantart.net/5266/f/201 ... 515453.png

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 15:27 
Bad Girl

No, hang on, tell you what, get on your tablet or phone of choice and download iZurvive - Map for DayZ Standalone.

Done. Right, who's on tonight?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 15:31 
Bad Girl

Here you go, look, you can tab all the spawn locations on the map (and zoom in and shit). If you're miles away you can kill yourself and reroll.

I wish I had this last night. Dick.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 18:28 
Bad Girl

Just gave the app a run and it works fine. Respawn and find a sign to tell you the city, locate on app and you're good to go.

Then some guy ran up to me and begged me to kill him so he could reroll his spawn. I politely refused in case it was a ruse, so he threw himself off the roof of a building as I sat bemused watching this bizarre suicide.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 23:20 
Bad Girl

Since no fucker wants to play with me I've been lone gunning it. I'm tooled up to fuck with all my kit pinched from that dead guy. Ive got at least 3 guns and shitloads of bullets for the baddies. I've played 3 hours and met no one. I've been as far in land as I've ever been and discovered airports and military bases normally surrounded by occupying forces. But not this time. No, the places had been ransacked from top to bottom. I was endlessly wandering around from town to town staring at all the empty rooms and open doors (the latter being a tell that people have been there). I was sure I'd bump into whoever was opening these doors if I just ran fast enough. Maybe I'd find a friend.

No. I found Devil's Castle. High on a hill with a great vantage point for any intruders Devil's Castle could be an excellent home base. If there weren't so many trees about blocking the views for assassins to creep up and Hitman you in the arse. Turned out though, that too was empty!

Where's everyone go? I thought I'd climb the tower and have a look around.

Then I fell off a staircase and died.

Bye, bye loot. Fuck this game.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 23:48 
Bad Girl

Also, the Steam Controller (with the top community key bindings) is perfect for this.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 0:15 
Gogmagog

Quote:
Ive got at least 3 guns and shitloads of bullets for the baddies... I thought I'd climb the tower and have a look around.

Then I fell off a staircase and died.

Bye, bye loot. Fuck this game.

Sorry. I laughed a lot. But at least you will pass happiness on when someone finds a well tooled up corpse and then dies comically soon after...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 0:56 
Bad Girl

I've got this cool new thing from AMD/Raptr set up now where I can save videos on my PC, like what the PS4 does. The editing tools are a a bit better though. Shame the mic has recorded some weird popping though.

Anyhoo, here's some terribly boring highlights of me milling around.

First clip: Just showing off the terrific topography. And a zombie!
Second Clip: First view I got of Devil's Castle right off in the background above the trees. Thought I'd take a peek.
Third Clip: Approaching the castle through the car park and front door.
Fourth Clip: Death from 6 foot drop.

But, come on, look how fucking awesomely badass my character was. Sheeet, I actually had 2 pistols, a mosgin and a trumpet (neatly folded away in the sack). And two fricking flash grenades!

http://plays.tv/s/KiSEt_G40rLW

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:01 
Bad Girl

Cor, that upload is in 780p and looks alreet; better than Youtube. I could have gone 1080p but it only records for an hour or so.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:16 
Paws for thought

Saturnalian wrote:
I had a look around the walls and found a hidey hole tucked away. AND A FUCKING BODY. This guy was packed to the rafters with weapons, ammo, food and all sorts of shit. Someone had just killed him and left him. I swear it was the scariest thing in the world so I pegged it out without so much as looting a single thing from this guy and went to hide in a tree for 20 minutes.

Was he next to a set of stairs? If so I think I may know what killed him...

The curse.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 21:04 
UltraMod

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 21:16 
Paws for thought

Never has a live stream been more gripping

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 21:25 
Unpossible!

I am watching you!