Post subject: Re: Windows 8
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 22:59 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Surely if it's ugly, it's ugly on both?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 23:01 
Unpossible!

I know there's a Surface machine in Sys Dev and it kills me that I'm not allowed to play with it. It's so pretty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 23:47 
Excellent Member

Craster wrote:
Surely if it's ugly, it's ugly on both?

I was referring to usability. The design suits finger-tapping and dragging on a tablet, but on a desktop PC it's no substitute at all for the normal Windows GUI.

And yes, it's ugly on both.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 0:49 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

My windows 8 install didn't work. >:|

Instead I watched a video on Youtube of some guy using it. It looks confusing.

Tomorrow nights job will be too delete the partition that I've had to make and to remove the dual boot option. Wish me luck.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 21:12 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Realised that ranting about the lack of Windows 8 Pro tablets to review because I absolutely MUST have one before I go away on the 20th October is somewhat academic when one realises that Windows 8 isn't released until the following Friday.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 21:16 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

You could buy a Windows 7 tablet and install Windows 8 on it. They have the same requirements.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 21:20 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Craster wrote:
You could buy a Windows 7 tablet and install Windows 8 on it. They have the same requirements.

There's precious little windows 7 that interests me. May well be w7 crippling otherwise good hardware. All the new pretty pretty is android only at this point, with a load of new shiny shiny annoyingly on the horizon.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 21:27 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

You read the post to the end, right?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 21:29 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Yes. To summarise, I want tomorrows hardware, optimised for my planned use, not yesterdays hardware upgraded. Shiny.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 21:31 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

And I want to know what that will be today, and I want it 7 days before it is released worldwide. IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK?!!!?11

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 14:37 
Excellent Member

Just whacked the Win8 preview on a separate partition and am fiddling with it right now. It's, um, it's interesting that's for sure. As others have said, the Metro UI is probably really nice for touch screen devices but for a normal desktop machine it's pretty but not all that useable. By which I mean that there's nothing I can think of to do with it that wouldn't have been much, much easier with Win7. After guessing at some shortcut keys it's a bit less intrusive as I can get to the real desktop easily enough but it really is going to confuse the living fuck out of any normal user who just wants a Windows PC.

The 'apps' for video, music and pictures are a nice idea to extend the Libraries concept that Win7 brought in, but they don't actually work. The Photos app won't show anything even though I've added a whole folder of images to the underlying library; the Videos app shows nothing under the My Video section and forces me to go browsing and there's a similar flaw with the Music app in that it only shows a handful of my albums randomly. I sort of can get to everything from those apps if I go browsing around from within them but then what's the fucking point? I might as well just launch Explorer and work my way along from there. Also, the Music and Video apps prioritise trying to sell me shit over showing me my own files which can absolutely GTFF.

Even just getting a list of all the programs I've got installed and launching one (i.e. what the old Start menu was essentially for) is a real fucking pain in the arse and even when you do find the list it just throws all the icons for everything you've got installed right in your face which is confusing and overwhelming. It's basically the Xbox interface with a couple of concessions to PC usage stapled on and it just doesn't work at all.

Unless they're planning on having a big fat 'always give me a more trad Windows layout' option somewhere I'd never in a million years recommend this for family members or anyone like that and I'm not even that interested in it for myself to be honest.

Edited to be slightly more readable.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 14:46 
UltraMod

Does Win8 stop you using paragraphs?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 15:00 
Excellent Member

The Last Salmon Man wrote:

It was just a brain dump of my thoughts about it but it's a fair point so I've edited.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 15:13 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
The Last Salmon Man wrote:

It was just a brain dump of my thoughts about it but it's a fair point so I've edited.

Cheers. I tried reading it twice, but my brain rejected it both times a few lines in.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 15:40 
Hello Hello Hello

I suspect Windows 7 will do me just fine until Windows 9 comes along, same as I stuck with XP until Windows 7 had been out for a while.

No interest in Windows 8 whatsoever.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 17:04 
Excellent Member

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
I suspect Windows 7 will do me just fine until Windows 9 comes along, same as I stuck with XP until Windows 7 had been out for a while.

No interest in Windows 8 whatsoever.

Windows 7 is a genuinely excellent OS and it's unlikely to leave you wanting for much. Which is part of the problem, there's very little that Win8 does that doesn't seem like a step back (e.g. doing away with the genuinely useful and instantly accessible universal search feature). I mean, there's a few UI tweaks which make the common aspects look a wee bit nicer but those are entirely non-functional so it's hardly worth moving for.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:16 
Sitting balls-back folder

If you want to search, pop up metro and start typing. It's completely unsignposted.

tiles can be grouped, but I don't know how.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:43 
Excellent Member

I must admit with only a month before the release I’m not bothered by Windows 8. With Windows 7 I ran RTM versions as my main OS for months before the final release. I’ve installed 8 on a tablet at home and a touch screen device at work.

Problem is that is has very little for a desktop PC user, Windows 7 is looking to be the New XP in that people will stay on it for ages, for the first time in 8 years this will be what I’m doing.

No start button and a pointless (for desktops) touch UI make it not worth the hassle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:49 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I have played a bit with Windows 8 and keep meaning to install it virtually on my laptop.

I suppose with Windows 7 working so well, i am not in a rush to move on to something different.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 15:22 

I've installed it as the main OS on my work laptop, because we've finally got our build process working on 64bit Windowses and I don't see the point in switching now then again later. Twice in two days though, thanks to cunting Dell*.

The main issue so far is that something is different in msxml6.dll that prevents us importing it (and therefore compiling our code) properly. Other than that, it's nice to have Hyper-V virtualising properly instead of VirtualBox sitting on top. Sound card doesn't virtualise, but eh.

* They've done something weird with the Intel SATA controller, seemingly to prevent installation of Windows 7 32bit; the Intel drivers just Do Not Work. Now with Win8 it only installs with it set to ATA in the BIOS; the AHCI drivers just Do Not Work. Trying to persuade them resulted in the hard drive getting wiped.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 18:26 
Hello Hello Hello

Surface RT tablet is sack of shit:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-ha ... -rt-review

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 19:09 
Paws for thought

Doesn't exactly tie up with what I've been hearing elsewhere.
But then again, meh. Not really sold on tablets anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 19:12 

Mr Dave wrote:

For yourself, or as a force of change in the industry?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 19:17 
Paws for thought

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

For yourself, or as a force of change in the industry?

For me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 21:06 
Hello Hello Hello

Tablets are pretty good for some things, women and children, mainly.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 21:33 

Uhh, what?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 22:09 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Uhh, what?

Most men prefer a proper computer, whereas women and children get by quite well with the simplicity of a tablet.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 22:15 
ugvm'er at heart...

Refuses to bite.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 22:58 

Disagree. Holding one right now, it is excellent. I'm loving it.
(Not mine sadly :( it belongs to another family member)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 22:59 

Most men prefer a proper computer, whereas women and children get by quite well with the simplicity of a tablet.

So, women and children are too stupid to use proper computers?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 23:16 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

So, women and children are too stupid to use proper computers?

It's not a question of intelligence, I think it's a case of tablets being computers for people who don't like computers very much, and/or who aren't interested in computers, and/or who don't understand computers.

Now I'm not for one second suggesting that women are incapable of understanding computers, I've worked with a few female techies over the years and they've been as good as any bloke (very, very much in the minority in numerical terms though), BUT, the fact remains that 'computer geekery' is still very much the domain of the male - for better or for worse.

Going off my own family and circle of friends, the people who've latched onto tablets are the women, the old people, and the children, and the blokes who don't like computers.

Indeed, my bestest chum (the one who comes over every year to visit) has practically attached himself to his iPad via an umbilical cord, I don't think it's any coincidence that he's never built a PC in his life, has always sort of 'tolerated' one at home rather than actually liked it, and every time anything has ever gone wrong with it, he's carted it off to PC World or suchlike to have one of their 'experts' look at it. He loves his iPad mostly because it separates him from having to get entangled with his PC on any sort of regular basis.

Please understand there's no insult intended with what I've said above, I've just found that tablets seem to find the most favour with people who don't like computers in the traditional sense - and that tends to be women, children, and old people who don't like technology very much.

I can appreciate tablets and what they do, and by all accounts they have actually shifted the entire demographic of 'computer users' (just Google around the subject), but I think there's a reason why they've done that - and that's because they make using a computer very much like not using a computer ever used to be before.

(And yes, I do realise that's progress and I applaud it on that level :) )

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 23:57 
SavyGamer

My take on it is that a tablet instead of a computer serves a different purpose to a tablet and a computer. Both are equally valid, but it's probably different types of people. People who understand/care about technology/computers would probably be more likely to use tablets/smartphones, whereas geeks will be more likely to use either, depending on the situation.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:29 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Uhh, what?

You sir have a very usual view of the world..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 
Excellent Member

As I work in IT I felt I needed to push myself with Windows 8 and try and use it. I have no intention of installing in on my Alienware PC at home, so put it on a HP 2740p Tablet, this model is 2-3 years old now.

The success of Windows 8 in the tablet market will depend hugely on the hardware its installed on. With the HP I regularly loose the finger touch functionality, although the supplied pen works. I have to reboot by pulling the battery out before the finger touch works.

Windows is a pain in the arse for none touch systems, I find you need to do more clicks to get things done, with a touch screen device its ok but some of the apps are hard to exit from and return to the opening menu. I find myself on the desktop a lot killing apps via task manager.

I have a friend who pre ordered as surface and he loves it, said it’s brilliant, mine will be here in 3 weeks so I will wait and see.

I think with Windows 8 there is new ways of doing things, unlike previous OS that have tried to move people in this direction, but failed as all the old ways of doing things was still in place, Windows 8 pushes you more without options.

Problem is not everyone wants or needs what Windows 8 is offering. I will use it but not on my gaming PC.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:09 
Excellent Member

Quote:
Going off my own family and circle of friends, the people who've latched onto tablets are the women, the old people, and the children, and the blokes who don't like computers.

From personal family experience this can be true, my parents have an IPad and use it far more than the PC. In fact my mother never used the PC, but Skype’s me now from the Ipad.

I have heard the same thing from people at work who have bought an IPad and found that their wife’s who wouldn’t use the PC won’t put it down. In some cases they have bought another one.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:12 
Excellent Member

I think it's a real shame they're forcing the new UI on everyone because everything I hear about how well Win8 actually performs is glowing so if they'd let you choose the UI you wanted (or, perhaps, automatically switch it on only when installed on a touchscreen device) I'd totally upgrade as I'm more than happy to support MS for churning out genuinely good, fast, stable stuff like Windows 7 is. Their apparent inability to admit that the Metro stuff is pretty horrible as an interface for mouse users though is a total fucking deal breaker for me which is disappointing mostly because it all seems to needless.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:19 
Paws for thought

Bamba wrote:
I think it's a real shame they're forcing the new UI on everyone because everything I hear about how well Win8 actually performs is glowing so if they'd let you choose the UI you wanted (or, perhaps, automatically switch it on only when installed on a touchscreen device) I'd totally upgrade as I'm more than happy to support MS for churning out genuinely good, fast, stable stuff like Windows 7 is. Their apparent inability to admit that the Metro stuff is pretty horrible as an interface for mouse users though is a total fucking deal breaker for me which is disappointing mostly because it all seems to needless.

As Ive noted before, if they tried to force the new ui on everyone, theyve failed.
Many third party tools are available that pretty much make metro never appear.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:24 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mr Dave wrote:
As Ive noted before, if they tried to force the new ui on everyone, theyve failed.

The same was true of the new start menu and stuff in XP though, of course. I comfortably predict that lots of people will avoid metro as much as they can at launch. Within 2 years, everyone will be using it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:29 
Excellent Member

Craster wrote:
The same was true of the new start menu and stuff in XP though, of course.

Not quite, the newer style Start Menu could very easily be switched off in the settings in XP; which I always did purely because the old one works much better with keyboard shortcuts, putting utility over design is the easiest way to make people not want to adopt your new shit. With Metro they're not giving the option though which signals a different intent entirely on MS' part. Obviously it's not all that well hidden if third-party tools can already reliably resurrect it but relying on such things to get your preferred UI back isn't ideal.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:31 

Craster wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

The same was true of the new start menu and stuff in XP though, of course. I comfortably predict that lots of people will avoid metro as much as they can at launch. Within 2 years, everyone will be using it.

:this:

I remember the amount of folks that used to run xp in classic mode.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:40 
Excellent Member

KovacsC wrote:
Craster wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

I still do at work because I can launch programs with it easier than the newer one. Give me something that actually works better and I'll adopt it. Remove utility from me for the sake of a UI reshuffle and I won't though. I'm easy in that respect!

I mean I'm happy with the Win7 Start Menu because of the excellent search stuff that's integrated which not only replaces but genuinely improves on the XP functionality. Anything else though can GTFF.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:25 

newer one xp is not new it has not been new for over 5 years :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:55 

Bamba wrote:
I mean I'm happy with the Win7 Start Menu because of the excellent search stuff that's integrated which not only replaces but genuinely improves on the XP functionality. Anything else though can GTFF.
Good job Win8 improves the search stuff then! It's how I use Win8, in fact.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 13:07 
Excellent Member

KovacsC wrote:
newer one xp is not new it has not been new for over 5 years :)

I don't understand your post.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 13:09 
Isn't that lovely?

He's saying that a feature that has been around for 5 years isn't new (I would suggest that it's been around for closer to 9 years)

Malc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 13:10 

Bamba wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Craster wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

I still do at work because I can launch programs with it easier than the newer one.

Just saying XP is not new... so the xp menus are not new

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 13:32 
Excellent Member

KovacsC wrote:
Bamba wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Craster wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

I still do at work because I can launch programs with it easier than the newer one.

Just saying XP is not new... so the xp menus are not new

Well, yeah, but I was replying directly to your comment about XP and people running it in Classic mode so I kind of assumed that, in that context, it would be obvious what I meant. Also, to be fair, I never said "new", I only ever said "newer" so I was even the best kind of correct into the bargain!

:shrug:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 14:15 
Excellent Member

So much for a 3 week delivery for the MS Surface, mine turned up after 3 days.

The order I placed for 2 online went through twice so I have 4 of them!

It looks nice, better that the tablet. Problem I have at work is that our wireless is either dished out by group policy , which is nice and fast but for domain PC's only. Or its a really shit ADSL conection thats less that 2MB. I'm on the latter with the surface so the app updates are taking for ever.

So I will play with it at home were I have a much better line. Also getting Infinity installed in our workshop next month.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 16:56 
Meh

The upgrade version was £25. It may well still be. For that price and being on Vista SP3 it was a no brainer.

It is very fast. You get used to metro interface (and no I don't have a touch screen). I am spending less and less time in desktop mode.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 17:00 

It's £25 until the end of January if you buy it digitally direct from MS, £50 for a DVD. Or £15 if you bought a computer after June.

Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next