Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Windows 8
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 13:48 
Bad Girl

I will say words in types form about this topic:

I quite like Windows 8. It's alright. 'Cept that PDF crap but I've learned my lesson.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 14:14 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

TheVision wrote:
Nice tip.... But like you, I probably won't use it as I use Chrome primarily.

Someone will have made an extension to fake it by now.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 20:31 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

TheVision wrote:
Nice tip.... But like you, I probably won't use it as I use Chrome primarily.

Anyway... I have Windows 8 downloaded and ready to go. Are you excited? Anyone? No? Oh well.. I'll have a full report when it's installed I'm sure.

Don't know if its still the same, bu chrome was borked on Win8 a year ago. I'm now locked into IE as its not bad at all.

I'd probably have used tab and favourite syncing if it wasn't ludicrously absent when I got my Lumia.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 20:35 
Excellent Member

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Don't know if its still the same, bu chrome was borked on Win8 a year ago.

My mum's been using it as the main browser on her Win8 machine for well over a year now with no hassle. Well, there was hassle when a version update came in that automatically switched on fucking Metro mode and she couldn't work out how to close it down without just restarting the machine but that was easily fixed.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 20:40 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Bamba wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Don't know if its still the same, bu chrome was borked on Win8 a year ago.

My mum's been using it as the main browser on her Win8 machine for well over a year now with no hassle. Well, there was hassle when a version update came in that automatically switched on fucking Metro mode and she couldn't work out how to close it down without just restarting the machine but that was easily fixed.

Actually, as I recall now, it wasn't a win8 issue, it was a surface issue. Some legacy programmes cant cope with the super hi res.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 0:10 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

So far.... I like it!

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:47 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Well I don't see what all the fuss is about. Windows 8 is great!

It's exactly the same as Windows 7 except they've added the, frankly excellent start menu/screen.

I don't miss the traditional start menu at all as the new start screen does everything that did and more. I know people don't like change but I think that Microsoft have done a bold thing that will pay off in the long run.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:54 

I agree Windows 8 with Start 8 is excellent.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:54 
UltraMod

Nah it's shit.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:09 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

TheVision wrote:
Well I don't see what all the fuss is about. Windows 8 is great!

It's exactly the same as Windows 7 except they've added the, frankly excellent start menu/screen.

I don't miss the traditional start menu at all as the new start screen does everything that did and more. I know people don't like change but I think that Microsoft have done a bold thing that will pay off in the long run.

Admittedly, I only use Win8.1 on my surface (i.e. the usage case that they built after the event to justify the OS) but I do think its the best combination I've ever used. I've also tried using it without touch, and I have no issues there.

I wholly understand that other users, such as programmers rather than app+office users such as myself may have issues, but 95% of people are in my usage case.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:33 
Gogmagog

I have this at work.

The ribbon at the bottom annoys me as changing windows in excel is pernickety.
No recent documents
Excel loses color formatting.
It is frustrating.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:43 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I'm not sure you can blame it for Excel losing colours.

Also "Windows key + R | Type 'recent' | Press enter" - pin it where you want it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:45 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
I'm not sure you can blame it for Excel losing colours.

Also "Start | Run | Recent" - pin it where you want it.

Ta.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:50 
Excellent Member

I had to look at my dad's PC last night as it had randomly started black screening immediately after he logs in. I Googled it and it seems to be a pretty common problem, because Windows 8. First challenge was getting into Safe Mode as that doesn't work the same way it did before, because Windows 8. Indeed I only finally managed it because of the precise way it's fucked; I could still get to the 'shutdown' button on the login screen so could hold Shift + click on Restart. I'm still not sure how I'd have managed that if it was slightly more fecked.

Anyway, of course 'scannow /sfc' did nothing to help, because Windows 8. Next was the Startup Repair option, which also did nothing because Windows 8. Finally I went with the Reset But Keep Files option, which worked! Windows 8! Although it promised to make a list of the applications it had removed and this was missing some stuff, because Windows 8.

Next stage: trying to make the UI usable for my dad. Previously I'd used Classic Shell but none of these type of apps seem to be maintained any more, not surprisingly, so I don't feel comfortable using any of them in case they cause it to bork itself. I'd genuinely forgotten just how awful the Start Screen is. It's full of useless bullshit and nothing he'd be interested and, crucially, doesn't even show a list of your installed apps. Because Windows fucking 8. I, an experienced IT professional, took minutes working out how to even get to that view, so he'd have literally no chance. Luckily I found an option tucked away somewhere that defaulted to the app list instead of all the useless horseshit so that'll have to do. *sigh* Windows 8.

Finally, let's get it all patched up to date. The initial Windows Update scan took utterly forever because of course it did. Windows 8! After it had found a shitload of stuff to install I left it running and went to do something else. I came back about an hour later to a suspiciously silent machine. That's right, it had gone to sleep. The fucking thing is too damned stupid to stay awake TO INSTALL IT'S OWN FUCKING UPDATES! FUCKING WINDOWS 8! So I disabled all the power saving options, kicked it all off again and went to bed in disgust. Windows. Fucking. 8.

As of this morning there were yet more updates required so I kicked those off and and went to work. I fully expect to somehow have my evening consumed by it tonight again as well somehow. Because Windows 8.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:53 
Excellent Member

TheVision wrote:
I know people don't like change but I think that Microsoft have done a bold thing that will pay off in the long run.

Also: hindsight lol.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:00 
Hello Hello Hello

Windows 7 is arguably where it's at these days, since it only gets security updates, and it's supported until 2020. (Plus MS have already said they'll extend that out to 2023 but it'll cost.)

Microsoft have just pulled the October 2010 Windows 10 Update because of the very minor inconvenience of it..... Deleting all your personal files as part of the process......

(This also seems to confirm that what these 'updates' do is essentially reinstall the entire operating system.)

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/10/0 ... 10_pulled/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:04 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Bamba wrote:
TheVision wrote:
I know people don't like change but I think that Microsoft have done a bold thing that will pay off in the long run.

Also: hindsight lol.

Yep. Proven right once again! I use the new start menu all the time and don't miss the old one, one bit.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:10 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
Windows 7 is arguably where it's at these days, since it only gets security updates, and it's supported until 2020. (Plus MS have already said they'll extend that out to 2023 but it'll cost.)

Microsoft have just pulled the October 2010 Windows 10 Update because of the very minor inconvenience of it..... Deleting all your personal files as part of the process......

(This also seems to confirm that what these 'updates' do is essentially reinstall the entire operating system.)

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/10/0 ... 10_pulled/

I'm really happy with Windows 10 in general. It's ran as fast and smoothly for me as Windows 7 on the whole while keeping a more modern look and, crucially, not forcing the awful Start Screen on me. No regrets at all in moving to it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:15 
Hello Hello Hello

I don't mind Windows 10, it works OK and is enough like Windows 7 not to annoy me too much.

Mrs Hearthly's Windows 10 PC did just randomly kill itself after one of the updates though, and required recovery mode to bring it back to life.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:16 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Hearthly wrote:

Nah, nothing close to that. What it's looking like in this case is that it tries to clean up old, unused user profiles on the system, including machine-only profiles that hang around when they shouldn't. However, whatever's doing the job of identifying 'old, unused' is buggy as shit.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:31 
Unpossible!

Hope the update returns soon as it's the only way to update the windows mixed reality platform

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:57 
UltraMod

I really hate that every time there's a major update Windows 10 reverts back to auto-updating drivers until I turn it off again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 13:57 
Excellent Member

Lonewolves wrote:
I really hate that every time there's a major update Windows 10 reverts back to auto-updating drivers until I turn it off again.

Does it auto-update gfx drivers? Those are really the ones I care about and I'd quite like it if those were kept up to date, but mine certainly don't seem to be?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 16:33 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Does it auto-update gfx drivers? Those are really the ones I care about and I'd quite like it if those were kept up to date, but mine certainly don't seem to be?

Nope.

Windows 10 just breaks my Logitech wheel drivers every time it sets itself back to auto-updating as it downloads and applies a driver for it that's for an entirely different wheel. So I have to uninstall it and reinstall the proper one manually, then set Windows to not fucking auto-update drivers. Rinse and repeat every time there's a major update as it "forgets" and flicks back again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 17:00 
Excellent Member

Lonewolves wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Nope.

Windows 10 just breaks my Logitech wheel drivers every time it sets itself back to auto-updating as it downloads and applies a driver for it that's for an entirely different wheel. So I have to uninstall it and reinstall the proper one manually, then set Windows to not fucking auto-update drivers. Rinse and repeat every time there's a major update as it "forgets" and flicks back again.

Can you work out where it's downloading the files to and manually set the files/folder
to read-only?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 17:23 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Nope.

Can you work out where it's downloading the files to and manually set the files/folder
to read-only?

Possibly, but it might break something else.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

My Surface has a problem with the touch screen which makes it register constant phantom "touches" on the top left corner.

I switch the touchscreen driver off with the hardware manager which cures it (and disables the touchscreen, obv).

Each major update I have to do it again. Imagine how hard that is when it's constantly wrenching focus away.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:10 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Script it, then you can just double tap once to run the script

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:11 
Unpossible!

Cras wrote:
Script it, then you can just double tap once to run the script

:this:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

You underestimate my laziness, good sirs.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:28 

Can't you get it fixed or is it too old? They do seem a bit flaky some of these Surfaces, there were some going around at work not so long back, I never tried to get one but quite a few of the people who did have ended up turning them back in for the standard Dell laptops.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:30 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It's old, but it can be fixed. £300 to take a look at it, though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:52 
ugvm'er at heart...

I can look at it for £250.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:56 
Hibernating Druid

Move everything you want to click on to the top left corner.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5