Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Trials Evolution
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 14:20 
UltraMod

TheVision wrote:
I totally dig the challenge of it so maybe it's just a case of I've seen it all before?

Perhaps. How is it any different than Sonic 1 is to Sonic 2, though?

It's not Trials Revolution, after all. :P

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 14:23 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Maybe it's just me then? In all honesty, I haven't had a massive amount of time to play it over the past few days so it could be that?

When you see everyone else scores it seems like you've got a mountain to climb and as Homer Simpson said "Can't win? don't try"

Actually.. that sounds harsh. Forget that, I'll give it a go on this weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 14:24 
Skillmeister

TheVision wrote:
Maybe it's just me then?

Nope, I've reached that stage too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 14:30 
Hibernating Druid

I'm loving it so far. It's great that there are the medals to go for AND the Bezzie dots to chase on each level.

The scenery is lovely too, been distracted on several occasions by stuff happening in the background. :D

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 14:32 
UltraMod

Dimrill wrote:
TheVision wrote:
Maybe it's just me then?

Nope, I've reached that stage too.

But you didn't even enjoy the first game past the piss-easy tracks, so it was expected (and predicted by me!) :shrug:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 14:40 

Dimrill: Some of your times on the Medium tracks are genuinely fucking good! There are a couple I can't be arsed to attempt to beat because I know it'd take me bloody ages - if I could beat them at all. If you can manage that, I bet you could manage the Extreme tracks.

In the first game, I gave up on the Extreme tracks myself after watching some replays and seeing how easy those guys were getting over obstacles that I just couldn't fucking manage at all. Then one of my real life chums completed one of the Extreme tracks in about 400 goes and I thought "if he can do it, I bloody can". It took a hell of a lot of patience, but eventually I managed the first one and then I managed them all.

It's more about patience than skill, I reckon.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 14:43 
Skillmeister

I really don't give a shit about the times though. Winky waving doesn't interest me and never has. I haven't even completed the medium tracks because it's just the same thing over and over again. Not feeling it. Not feeling games in general at all.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 14:45 

Ah well. My point was that in order to get those times in the first place, you must have a certain amount of skill - and that skill would be more than enough to complete the harder tracks with a little persistence. But obviously if you just don't like it full stop, never mind!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 14:48 

In other news, I now have two Extreme tracks to beat. The last one - Inferno III - is just as tough as the first two Infernos, which is not good. The other one is the third-last one. I think I can manage that one, but Inferno III is going to take serious willpower. I think it's the third obstacle I can't manage - there are three progressively larger, almost vertical wooden boards. Ridiculously tough. I'm rubbish at the "hill climby" obstacles, and this is like a mix of hill climb and jumping. I made it to the top of the third board once after 200 goes, got excited, shat myself, and didn't make the jump onto the next platform which has a checkpoint. :'(

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 14:58 
UltraMod

Alberto would love this I reckon. He says he doesn't like bikes, though. :belm:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 15:07 
Kvnt

Getting better now, but still haven't got a gold medal on the sewage plant stage! It's those last few blasts of water that always get me. If I get over the three in a row, the one after them will always spin me onto my head. :'(

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 15:08 
UltraMod

YOG wrote:
Getting better now, but still haven't got a gold medal on the sewage plant stage! It's those last few blasts of water that always get me. *If* I get over the three in a row, the last one will always spin me onto my head. :'(

Try going with the spin and doing a complete 360. Trying to fight it doesn't work.

That said, I haven't golded it either, but I'm concentrating on achievements at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 15:12 
Kvnt

Cheers. Spinning with it is obv the way to go, but even that's difficult at some points in the stage - the bit where you're shot onto the bridge, for example. Sometimes you'll do a nice gentle roll, and sometimes you'll spin around three times and land on your bonce! Gonna get practicing this weekend, anywho. :p

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 15:26 

That was definitely one of the hardest tracks to gold - even compared to some of the Hard tracks. As myp says, try to go with the roll and land on your wheels again. Fighting against the momentum of a spin will likely see you land on your bonce.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 15:32 
Hello Hello Hello

/strokes his top of the Bezzies leaderboard time on Sewage Plant.

Trooper has come very close though.

Also, I am only making a fuss about it because it's the ONLY BASTARD TRACK where I'm the best Bezzie.

myp is absolutely right, in that as 'wrong' as it feels there are a couple of water bursts where it's better to go with the roll rather than try to correct it. (Not on most of them though!)

EDIT - It may well be that WTB has a faster time than me but because I upset him he won't accept my friends request.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 15:35 
Kvnt

I think the tricky thing with the last blast is that (unless you're zooming past it) it blocks your view of the bike for a second. Determined to nail it now, though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 15:44 
Kvnt

And - would you Adam and fackin' Eve it? - I've just got the gold on my first attempt. Slight roll forward after the last water jet was exactly what I needed that time. :DD

Ed: just added myp. Coulda swore I'd done that ages ago, though!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 15:47 

Woo! I've found that coming back to it after a night's sleep often does that. Well, except for fucking Gigatrack.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 16:33 
UltraMod

YOG wrote:
Ed: just added myp. Coulda swore I'd done that ages ago, though!

I got loads of people deleted off my friends list when I got my Live account hacked. Nothing personal. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 16:36 

So he says.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 16:45 
UltraMod

WTB wrote:
So he says.

Dude, if it were personal, you'd have gone years ago!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 16:48 

:D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 16:49 
Excellent Member

myp wrote:
WTB wrote:
So he says.

Dude, if it were personal, you'd have gone years ago!

I cannot imagine you saying 'dude'. All I can hear in my head when I read your posts, is your voice and the word dude just doesn't work.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 16:55 
Excellent Member

AtrocityExhibition wrote:

Also, I am only making a fuss about it because it's the ONLY BASTARD TRACK where I'm the best Bezzie.

myp is absolutely right, in that as 'wrong' as it feels there are a couple of water bursts where it's better to go with the roll rather than try to correct it. (Not on most of them though!)

EDIT - It may well be that WTB has a faster time than me but because I upset him he won't accept my friends request.

What is your sewage plant time?

Mine's 35.408. :smug:

Took bloody ages tho, due to the randomness of the water bursts, it's such a hard track to get through without decking it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 17:00 
Excellent Member

Ramsea wrote:

Took bloody ages tho, due to the randomness of the water bursts, it's such a hard track to get through without decking it.

You're such a goon.

And I feel you have an unfair advantage by being able to play this for 6 hours a day, you jobless bum. Actually, 6 hours might be generous, seeing as you don't get out of bed until about 2pm...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 17:03 
Excellent Member

flis wrote:
Ramsea wrote:

You're such a goon.

And I feel you have an unfair advantage by being able to play this for 6 hours a day, you jobless bum. Actually, 6 hours might be generous, seeing as you don't get out of bed until about 2pm...

Between job hunting and housework, its a wonder I find any time to play it at all!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 17:26 
ugvm'er at heart...

Yeah, i'm pretty much done with this now too.
The medium and hard tracks are good fun. The extremes just aren't fun in the slightest. 50 attempts to get the pixel perfect joystick position needed to bunny hop over that rock and land on it on your back wheel with just enough power to propel yourself onto that sloped rock, which one slightly mistimed push forward on the stick pops your back wheel off off the rock for half a second, so you fall onto the landmine. Another 50 attempts to get to the same position, only for the same thing to happen again. But it's ok, once you manage to land on the rock without bouncing off, there is only another rock exactly the same to go before the next checkpoint... no wait, it's a steeper rock, with more perfect throttle control needed...

This was exactly the same point I gave up on the last game, 2 tracks into extreme. And for some weird reason, once I get to this point it taints the rest of the game for me.

It was good while it lasted :) I'll still do some multiplayer fun, but single player is done.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 17:35 
UltraMod

God, you lot are a right bunch of moaning whingebags. I've barely even started!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 17:39 

I give him three more days.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 17:41 
ugvm'er at heart...

myp wrote:
God, you lot are a right bunch of moaning whingebags. I've barely even started!

WTB wrote:
Come back to me when you've finished some Insane stages, yeah?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 17:51 
Hello Hello Hello

Well if the consensus(ish) is that the extreme tracks are stupid, why not focus on the easy/medium/hard tracks for some sort of Bezzie challenge?

Bit like the Bezzie MAME challenge but this time the scores are built into the game itself! It would be very modern.

One track per week, or one track per week in each of easy/medium/hard categories, something like that.

I got Trials HD on the PC and I concur with the folks here who are saying that the uber-hard tracks just sucked the fun out of it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 18:05 
Hello Hello Hello

Ramsea wrote:

DAMMIT!

/reluctantly sends Ramsea a friends request.

Post subject: Trials Evolution
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 18:36 
ugvm'er at heart...

Well if the consensus(ish) is that the extreme tracks are stupid, why not focus on the easy/medium/hard tracks for some sort of Bezzie challenge?

Bit like the Bezzie MAME challenge but this time the scores are built into the game itself! It would be very modern.

One track per week, or one track per week in each of easy/medium/hard categories, something like that.

I got Trials HD on the PC and I concur with the folks here who are saying that the uber-hard tracks just sucked the fun out of it.

Do the leaderboards work on a silver account? Could be fun to have a time limited competition on a track where the only scores that count are the ones done on the day. We'd have to start on the easy tracks though obviously.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 19:28 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
Do the leaderboards work on a silver account? Could be fun to have a time limited competition on a track where the only scores that count are the ones done on the day. We'd have to start on the easy tracks though obviously.

Yes the leaderboards work on a silver account (I'm silver), not even Microsoft would dare to try and gouge that much :D

It just seems like a nice way to extend the life of the game for the folks who aren't minded to smack their heads against the brick wall of the extreme tracks.

It's quite easy to dash through all the easy and medium tracks, and to a lesser extent the hard tracks, without really appreciating a lot of them along the way.

Since the leaderboards are built into the game, it's the perfect Bezzie challenge IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 20:48 
I forgot about this - how vain

Just got this. It's loveeeeely.

I like watching you all zip of at the start whilst I bounce around on my moped.

Is there no point trying to compete until I've got the later bikes?

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 20:52 
UltraMod

Not really, no.

I've just got my first platinum medal. *buffs other lapel*

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 20:53 
Hibernating Druid

Depends if your chasing WTB or not. ;)

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 20:54 
Kvnt

Yeah, you need the 450cc bike before you can start beating people, really. The first couple seem far too slow/weak once you have that and the Phoenix. I bet there are some levels you actually can't finish with them...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 21:36 
UltraMod

Just obliterated WTB on 'Out of the Pit'. Watching his sorry sack of shit dot flumping all over the place was a sight to behold.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 21:41 

:'(

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 21:43 
Kvnt

Just got gold on 'Tree Hugger' (I think that was the name, anywho). That one was fun fun fun!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 21:48 
UltraMod

WTB wrote:
:'(

*canned awws and mock sympathy*

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 21:49 
Sleepyhead

There are several levels where I can get a really good start an get ahead of all the dots, until one place which I will then always bugger up. Gah!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 21:52 
UltraMod

Curiosity wrote:
There are several levels where I can get a really good start an get ahead of all the dots, until one place which I will then always bugger up. Gah!

I find that sometimes it's quicker to go slowly over certain bits, especially to stop you bashing into the ground and come to a juddering halt.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 22:02 
Kvnt

Deffo. Lots of the big jumps will cock up your run like that - landing at the foot of a slope instead of coasting down it, etc. Small bursts of acceleration get you through the levels much quicker.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 22:11 
Time Out for Fun

Urgh, just got to the last checkpoint on Inferno 3 and ran out of lives when I got there. Pile of shite.

I've done all the other extreme levels though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 22:13 
Sleepyhead

myp wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

I find that sometimes it's quicker to go slowly over certain bits, especially to stop you bashing into the ground and come to a juddering halt.

Oh indeed, but I am the kind of player who frowns on letting go of the throttle.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 22:33 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I too approach this in a similar manner to making love to a beautiful woman. Full throttle.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 22:34 
ugvm'er at heart...

Lots of swearing and giving up when you can't get her over the final jump?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 22:36 
ugvm'er at heart...

Trying to beat your friends to the finish when you are all on the same bike?

Reply to topic  [ 388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next