And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Emo/MCR fans vs Daily Mail
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 16:58 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

SteONorDar wrote:
Whilst, as I made clear, the whole emo thing bothers me, that doesn't mean that all of them do, should, or will cut or kill themsleves. Frankly, the opposite is often true - by being with other people who UNDERSTAND that sort of negativity, rather than goiing "(insert emo joke here - ed)" they have far more chance of getting through adolescense unharmed. It's about time the Daily Mail, and a few people here actually realised that.

Do you not think the culture itself encourages depression and self-harm? Surely it can't be actually helpful to one's mental state to make a lifestyle out of sitting around in dark rooms listening to incredibly bleak music and discussing the pointlessness of living?

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 16:58 
Excellent Member

Emo is just proto-Goths, with less suicide and more Harry Potter. The Smiths with makeup. The only thing half of them are rebelling against is the imposition of double maths.

I joke about it because I really, really don't want to rant about it.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 16:59 
Future War Cultist

Location: Nottingham. Again. No, wait, I'm back in Manchester.
Craster wrote:
SteONorDar wrote:
Whilst, as I made clear, the whole emo thing bothers me, that doesn't mean that all of them do, should, or will cut or kill themsleves. Frankly, the opposite is often true - by being with other people who UNDERSTAND that sort of negativity, rather than goiing "(insert emo joke here - ed)" they have far more chance of getting through adolescense unharmed. It's about time the Daily Mail, and a few people here actually realised that.

Do you not think the culture itself encourages depression and self-harm? Surely it can't be actually helpful to one's mental state to make a lifestyle out of sitting around in dark rooms listening to incredibly bleak music and discussing the pointlessness of living?

Do you really think that's all they do? Really? I have friends who own MCR shirts, they like sunshine and lollipops and partying in the sun.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 17:01 
Excellent Member

Davydd Grimm wrote:
THAT'S NOT EMO

That is.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 17:01 
INFINITE POWAH

Davydd Grimm wrote:
Do you really think that's all they do? Really?

That and take pictures of emo boys kissing, according to Google Images.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 17:04 
Future War Cultist

Mr Chris wrote:
Davydd Grimm wrote:
Do you really think that's all they do? Really?

That and take pictures of emo boys kissing, so I hear.

Oh, so you hate gays, too? Hmm?

VOTE: MR. CHRIS

:hat:

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 17:05 
Hibernating Druid

Davydd Grimm wrote:
THAT'S NOT EMO

Is.
\

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 17:06 
Future War Cultist

Zardoz wrote:
Davydd Grimm wrote:
THAT'S NOT EMO

Is.
\

Jesus, that looks like my ex. A girl.

Really, Fugazi were emotional hardcore. It's about the lyrics and that.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 17:07 
Sleepyhead

Davydd Grimm wrote:
Do you really think that's all they do? Really? I have friends who own MCR shirts, they like sunshine and lollipops and partying in the sun.

Indeed. I would have thought that singing the masterpiece of parody that is 'Teenagers' would make anyone happy.

(please note, those are my actual thoughts, not sarcasm)

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 17:07 
INFINITE POWAH

what's "emotional hardcore" then? As opposed to, say, Sara McGlachlan or Amy Mann?

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 17:09 
Future War Cultist

Mr Chris wrote:
what's "emotional hardcore" then? As opposed to, say, Sara McGlachlan or Amy Mann?

Hardcore, except they're not shouting about punching men.

Biohazard - not emo.

Circle Takes the Square - emo.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 17:10 
INFINITE POWAH

Davydd Grimm wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:

Hardcore, except they're not shouting about punching men.

Biohazard - not emo.

Circle Takes the Square - emo.

I'm confused, sorry - hardcore in what way? I don't know the bands you've mentioned so can't use them as a reference point. :(

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 17:11 
lazy eye patch

Danger! Danger Mr Chris! This will take some time!

Davydd, are Sunny Day Real Estate emo?

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 17:13 
BETEO voice of unreason

Mr Chris wrote:
SteONorDar wrote:
Right, rant time.

I've heard this line of reasoning before, and I really do have some sympathy with it. But it does strike me that it's just as likely to have the opposite effect. You get a bunch of depressed kids and they're hardly likely to be cheering each other up, are they? I've seen one or two "emo" boards where there's an awful lot of negative encouragement going on.

Plus, "emo" is a sub-culture - it's not a support group. I'm sure that there are depressed kids who help other depressed kids (and I hope there are), and they also just happen to be "emos" as we'd categorise them. But the whole "emo" thing as a sub-culture seems to be wallowing and almost glorifying that sort of depression. Turning depression into a fashion
statement is really, really pathetic. I know it's not every emo kid that does this, but it's the net effect of the whole grouping - from the pseudo-emos to the proper-emos. That's what leads to the jokes - most of the kids that would be described as emo by themselves or others aren't clinically depressed or suicidal, they're just whiney teenagers making out like they are. And therefore rightly fit for a pisstake.

No-one on here, I'm sure, would ever take the piss out of someone who's depressed or suicidal because they're depressed or suicidal. It just happens that the emo grouping includes some people who are genuinely depressed, and I can assure you those aren'tthe target of any piss taking.

I get the sense we pretty much agree with each other on this, too.

It seems to me that adolesence, always a difficult time, is becoming harder and harder, for a variety of reasons. Going back 15 or so years, when I was mid-teens, things weren't so regulated or difficult, or so it seems.

From personal experience, I find that being able to be negative in company is a great help - that's one of the reasons I value this place for example. Listening to depressive music gives a sense of community that listening to positive music doesn't, when I'm in a negative mood. It's not just music either - had a long conversation about 18th century poetry with someone last night which cheered me up no end. A Goth type, obv.

Quite apart from my own experience, I know many people who for whatever reason find the company of people who aren't relentlessly cheery far more pleasing. Probably the worst thing about negativity, whether clinical depression or the confusion of adolesence, is the loneliness. ANYTHING that alleviates that is, overall, a good thing in my book.

I imagine the emo types get exactly the same from their music and culture that I got from Alice In Chains and the rest of the grunge scene 15 or so years ago.

Also, that last post was flagged as a rant for a reason.
Craster wrote:
SteONorDar wrote:

No, I genuinely don't. As D.Grimm pointed out, that's not the whole of what is done.

Also, to use a metaphor I think works, sharing negativity can dilute it, not concentrate it, speaking from personal experience.

Typed, sitting in a dark room listening to incredibly bleak music. Er, country music from the 60s...

Townes.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 17:13 
Future War Cultist

Hardcore, um, it's sort of punk but a lot more aggressive.

Aaarghh, no, the questions! I'm not that familiar with SDRE, as it goes.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 17:14 
INFINITE POWAH

Craster and I were mid teens 15 years ago. We were quite cheery, and listened to Sleeper. And the Beautiful South.

Fuck.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 17:16 
Hibernating Druid

Davydd Grimm wrote:
Really, Fugazi were emotional hardcore. It's about the lyrics and that.

Unrealz.

Man, I'm not letting you get away with this. Don't make me quote Wiki.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 17:33 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Louise Werner 4TW.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 18:20 
Excellent Member

SteONorDar wrote:
It seems to me that adolesence, always a difficult time, is becoming harder and harder, for a variety of reasons. Going back 15 or so years, when I was mid-teens, things weren't so regulated or difficult, or so it seems.

Tish and indeed, piffle. Every generation thinks they have it bad, worse than their parents had it. Its called being a teenager. Mods, punks, goths, emo, Smiths fans, navel-gazers. Difference is that we didn't have internet sites to act as bloody support groups.

The only problem I have with stereotypical emo is the idea that "having issues" is worn as a badge of honour. I damned near throttled someone once who was very loudly proclaiming about his "depression". As someone who really has suffered depression I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy so to see some young scrote trying to show off about it - and make no mistake, that is what it was - made me utterly furious.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 18:43 
BETEO voice of unreason

Plissken wrote:
SteONorDar wrote:

Tish and indeed, piffle. Every generation thinks they have it bad, worse than their parents had it. Its called being a teenager. Mods, punks, goths, emo, Smiths fans, navel-gazers. Difference is that we didn't have internet sites to act as bloody support groups.

The only problem I have with stereotypical emo is the idea that "having issues" is worn as a badge of honour. I damned near throttled someone once who was very loudly proclaiming about his "depression". As someone who really has suffered depression I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy so to see some young scrote trying to show off about it - and make no mistake, that is what it was - made me utterly furious.

I have some friends who are teenagers, and it does seem harder now. The ridiculous attitude that you are a child up until the day of your 18th birtday is something new - just look at the amount of IDing people having a drink in a pub and not kicking off, despite being 17, or the recent law change to the age limit for cigarettes.

Add to that the ridiculous social and financial pressure connected with university, and the fact that most people now have to work more or less full time whilst at uni, and things have changed a great deal. That's in the 13 years since I was 18.

As for people "pretending" to be depressed, yes that is seriously annoying. However, being 15 or whatevee is a seriously unpleasant age for many people, and whether or not they are clinically depressed a lot are genuinely unhappy.

Frankly, I'd far rather it be talked about than ignored, the way it was even 15 years ago. having suffered from depression on and off for at least that length of time, I would say that attitudes have changed much for the better.

Sorry if none of this is entirely coherent - my head is not at a great place today...

Townes.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 18:50 

to be 'Emo' do you have to only have one eye visible and the other hid under a big shelf of fringe?

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 18:54 
Excellent Member

Mimi wrote:
to be 'Emo' do you have to only have one eye visible and the other hid under a big shelf of fringe?

No
\

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 18:55 
BETEO voice of unreason

Mimi wrote:

More or less. Unless you're the old sort Davydd was on about. When you don't.

Townes.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 19:06 
UltraMod

Plissken wrote:
Mimi wrote:

No
\

The guy on the far left looks like a young Ronnie Corbett.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 19:13 
Excellent Member

It is quite clearly Ben Elton.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 19:43 
INFINITE POWAH

Craster wrote:
Louise Wener 4TW.

Idiot FTFY :)

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 19:55 
making out to faces of death

I read her novel. It was quite good.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 20:17 

SteONorDar wrote:
I also know people who cut themselves, and that REALLY is no laughing matter. I'm not talking the scratching to make a cool scar, I'm talking the needing stitches and having to hide the marks sense.

I see where you are coming from and I think it might be prudent for me to point out that the self harmers I work with are at the 'blood everywhere' end of the scale and, given the causes of self-harm, cracking a joke about it is very often the first point at which a client and support provider might properly begin to address the issue. I've never got anyone to even admit to sefl harm by being serious about it, but I've known people to unlock whole torrents of stuff for the first time in their lives, which was causing their SH, due to the fearless candour of the conversation at hand.

I must add it isn't as simpleas cause/effect, but obviously this is a webforum and I'm trying to get drunk so I eed to be brief.

Emo lawn jokes aren't always appropriate, but they aren't always not. Irreverent web forums where bad taste jokes are prevalent is probably not somewhere you'll ever be able to avoid such stuff, mind you.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 20:32 
BETEO voice of unreason

Maybe you're right, Goatboy. I may be being oversensitive, but I got the impression that there were people saying "ha ha, laugh at the miserable kids". If that's a misunderstanding of anyone, I apologise.

Suffice to say, there's personal reasons it bothers me. I alluded to them above, but I don't really want to go into detail.

Townes.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 23:47 
Lurker

http://www.fourfa.com/

Best guide to emo EVAH.

To be honest it's one of those words like "punk" that has meant so many different things that it's now pretty much meaningless, or at best context-dependent. I remember when "emo" was all Promise Ring and Get Up Kids...

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:47 
Son of a Reaperman

SteONorDar wrote:
Maybe you're right, Goatboy. I may be being oversensitive, but I got the impression that there were people saying "ha ha, laugh at the miserable kids". If that's a misunderstanding of anyone, I apologise.

Suffice to say, there's personal reasons it bothers me. I alluded to them above, but I don't really want to go into detail.

You're absolutely right of course, but a fair old percentage of them are just playing at being depressed. I should know, shamefully I did exactly the same thing when I was 16 and listening to Nirvana non-stop. The music's miserable, your idols are miserable, so at that impressionable age you try to follow suit. As anyone knows there's nothing more frustrating than seeing people walking straight into mistakes you've already made yourself, which is why, broadly speaking, I think emo kids are a bunch of twats.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:03 
INFINITE POWAH

The mention of faux-depressed teenagers listening to Nirvana has reminded me of Arseface from the Preacher comics. There's a salutory lesson.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:09 
Chinny chin chin

Plissken wrote:
It is quite clearly that guy from Peep Show.

FTFY

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 15:24 
BETEO voice of unreason

Tmuk wrote:
SteONorDar wrote:

You're absolutely right of course, but a fair old percentage of them are just playing at being depressed. I should know, shamefully I did exactly the same thing when I was 16 and listening to Nirvana non-stop. The music's miserable, your idols are miserable, so at that impressionable age you try to follow suit. As anyone knows there's nothing more frustrating than seeing people walking straight into mistakes you've already made yourself, which is why, broadly speaking, I think emo kids are a bunch of twats.

Well, I wasn't playing, which is why the musci then meant something.

Still not playing at it, either.

I doubt that the several friends I have, of various ages, diagnosed with depression, bipolar disorder, any eating disorder you care to name, or who self harm, are all playing at it either.

My point is not to have a go at anyone, it's to try to make people realise that a LOT of people, especially but not exclusively teens-early twenties, have real problems.

Townes.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 16:26 
Excellent Member

SteONorDar wrote:
My point is not to have a go at anyone, it's to try to make people realise that a LOT of people, especially but not exclusively teens-early twenties, have real problems.

Broadening this into something more general - I'm not entirely convinced this is true. Far, far too many people have some kind of "illness" or "condition" out of all proportion with reality.

Some people have glandular problems, some people just eat too many pies - "I'm not fat, I'm big boned." Part of this is because hell, you can't tell off the disabled, giving some people a handy excuse. Part of this is encouragement that "hey, everyone has issues. Everyone has problems! What is yours! And how can we take money off you/give you something to fix it?"

This was kind of prompted by an advert I kept seeing in the US talking about something like, for sake of argument, "Enlarged Prostate Syndrome". It irritated me because having an enlarged prostate isn't a fucking "syndrome". It isn't some kind of inherent genetic defect. You have an enlarged prostate, you have some pills, it gets fixed.

IMO, in an increasing number of cases, people are using a "condition" to excuse themselves when pulled up for acting like a twat. Had a bad day - stop taking it out on some innocent bystander, rather than acting like a git and going "oh, well, I've got some shit going on in my life". Everyone has bad days, the difference being some of us a) don't demand everyone else give us a special break for it and b) we don't have that particular condition that prevents us from saying "sorry".

I've just realised that could possibly be construed as a pop at CUS, and I really don't mean it that way. I'm just being general and ranting about the excuses culture. Everyone is a bloody victim. I've had people try to blame forum postings in txt speak on having a minor form of ADD for fucks sake!

All this takes attention away from the genuinely needy.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 16:33 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

SteONorDar wrote:
I doubt that the several friends I have, of various ages, diagnosed with depression, bipolar disorder, any eating disorder you care to name, or who self harm, are all playing at it either.

But surely the amount of people who are emo because it is a 'scene', and don't have real problems, are obscuring the problem?

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 16:36 
INFINITE POWAH

Craster wrote:
SteONorDar wrote:

But surely the amount of people who are emo because it is a 'scene', and don't have real problems, are obscuring the problem?

I think perhaps the definition of "real problems" is the issue, here. Is teenage angst being medicalised into depression a bit too much at the moment? We know for certain that young kids being boisterous young kids is resulting in them being dosed on Ritalin, so it wouldn't surprise me. And, as Plissken says, there seems to be a growing desire amongst certain sections of society to have a "condition" to blame things on.

This is not to belittle those who are genuinely ill - quite the opposite. The spreading "me too!" with these things is what's belittling the genuine cases.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 16:52 
BETEO voice of unreason

Right, erm, you probably already know this, but I suffer from depression, quite badly at times. I'm on medication for this. I strongly believe that, had I been diagnosed with this many years ago, as opposed to the 5 or so I was, my life would be a hell of a lot better now. As it is, with a couple of exceptions my life is in about the best place it's been for 10 years. One excption being a particularly lovely ex-girlfriend who is still a good friend, and who will never read this but I would feel bad for not mentioning.

Anyway...

I'm not suggesting that all teenage angst is depression, or should be medicalised. However, it is a serious issue at that age. Anything that helps is, in my opinion, a good thing. I know several people in their teens and early twenties who might actually benefit from medical assistance, but don't choose to go for it, as believe it or not there's still a stigma attached to it. I also know several people of that age group who are happy, balanced people, and these people have been great friends to me when I've needed. There are of course many in between.

Plissken - I don't think I know anyone with genuine problems who would use that to get out of being responsible for something. It may be the reason for their actions, that doesn't make it an excuse. This is my approach, for what it's worth, and I've already had to apologise to someone on this forum today for similar reasons.

Craster - I'm not sure. Maybe the scene is hiding problems, maybe it's helping the people who do have problems. Probably, to be honest, both. As I posted earlier, but I think it bears repeating, one of the worst problems with depression is loneliness. Anything that helps that, again in my opinion, cannot be a bad thing.

Townes.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 20:42 

There's a lot of truth in what Plissken is saying, thought it doesn't apply to people with genuine problems. At university there were a group of people I'd dubbed the "bad hand gang" because they seemed to have competitions about who hit their doors/walls hardest in some random manic outburst. At least one of them ended on beta blockers. In retrospect, I guess they did have problems, because I mean you'd have to, to want to cling to an excuse or justification so much that you end up on medication. There was also the girl who one day couldn't walk- right around a major coursework deadline. Nobody believed it*, but she refused to walk. She ended up in a wheelchair, and last I knew, she probably did lose the use of her legs, through sheer stubborn refusal to use them, if not from any genuine sudden trauma.

It's a real problem. If you invest support and empathy in people who are acting up, I think you're in danger of making things worse, and you're also expending effort that probably isn't deserved. On the other hand, if you despair of it all, and throw your hands up saying "Just get on with your life!" to everyone who expresses that they have some disorder, then you're pushing away people with genuine problems who could really benefit from some support.

The question is, how do you tell silly children to grow up and stop making excuses, and also identify and support the ones with genuine needs?

* Her boyfriend had said he'd seen her not long after the incident, walking.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 20:55 
BETEO voice of unreason

AceAceBaby wrote:
The question is, how do you tell silly children to grow up and stop making excuses, and also identify and support the ones with genuine needs?

Honestly, unless you know them and their circumstances, I'm not sure you should. To put it bluntly, I don't think adolescent angst equals silly children, and whilst "silly children" may apply to some people, I think that attitude causes more harm than good.

As for the wall punching, I've been known to do that, although not boast about it... Better than punching another person. Also, if anything like that is done in a group, the likelihood of someone who goes too far getting help is increased. As for the wheelchair girl, at the very least it sounds like she had stress she couldn't cope with.

Townes.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 20:59 

It's not a good thing to pander to poor behaviour and allow excuses for it. I agree that you shouldn't judge unless you know, but you have to hope that in those cases somebody does know, and is telling them. My point about the wall punching is exactly because they were boasting about it. "That's nothing. I broke two of my fingers, see." And yes, wheelchair girl obviously did have a problem, the tragedy being that the last I knew, she was being treated for the fake problem, not the real one.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 21:08 
BETEO voice of unreason

Actually, that can often be a way to tell if it's real or not - virtually no-one I've known with genuine problems uses them as an excuse. An explanation sometimes, accompanied with an apology, but not an excuse.

Also, I'm not condoning fakery or twattish behaviour, far from it. It's the assumption* that most or all such behaviour is that that I'm questioning.

*Not that I'm suggesting anyone here is assuming that, but some people in some places do.

Townes.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 21:17 
Gogmagog

No one will turn up anyway.

I reckon 200 people, tops.

The time clashes with Hollyoaks.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 21:37 

SteONorDar wrote:
ng fakery or twattish behaviour, far from it. It's the assumption* that most or all such behaviour is that that I'm questioning.

You're totally right. It's why I'm concerned about the crying wolf causing more negative reactions to people who have genuine issues.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 21:43 
BETEO voice of unreason

AceAceBaby wrote:
SteONorDar wrote:
ng fakery or twattish behaviour, far from it. It's the assumption* that most or all such behaviour is that that I'm questioning.

You're totally right. It's why I'm concerned about the crying wolf causing more negative reactions to people who have genuine issues.

Which, er, at the risk of agreeing in a negative and confrontational fashion, is why I'm keen to stress that not all people are faking.

This thread has been a surprisingly good discussion.

Townes.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 22:09 

I know what you're saying, and I agree. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 22:39 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

AceAceBaby wrote:
SteONorDar wrote:

And this was what I was aiming at when I was complaining about the 'scene' - if it's trendy to appear depressed, you both mask the people that really need help, and also turn public opinion against all of them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:26 
Excellent Excellente

Some highlights from the march....

Audiojunkies - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0KyyAIxZo8
Anonymous - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=E9gqvYYU2vk&fmt=18

I kinda wish MCR's fans were still varied. They used to be.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:02 
Excellent Member

what a bunch of losers.

the guys with the cameras, I mean.

grow up tbh.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:24 

When you are an adolescent you experience emotions that you haven't experience previously. Adult emotions that, because they are new, are difficult to interpret correctly. They can therefore appear far more extreme than if a fully mature adult were experiencing them. Perhaps that maturity comes from constant management of such feelings or perhaps those feelings become lessoned with experience.

It is however so dominated by the individual's circumstances and sense of self that it is very difficult to make sweeping generalisations about it. It seems to me that some people's experience with depression is intrinsically associated with their growth into adulthood. Thus even if all auxiliary problems are solved they remain depressed as though the act of growing up is itself the problem. Ofcourse as an adult there are a multitude of socially identifiable problems (alcohols, drugs, gambling, violent abuse etc) that can act as an expression of such feelings that a child perhaps doesn't have access to.

Parents, teachers etc. should obviously do all they can if a child seems to be suffering from some emotional or mental problem. I've seen all sorts of problems amongst my peers, anorexia, self-harm, drug abuse and who knows what else that you can't see. And frankly the support they have received has not often helped them. Once they become adults and the concern of teachers and others disappears the problem invariably becomes worse. It does all seem like a "cry for help" rather than a physical or physiological problem they can't control and even after the problem (if there was one) that caused such actions have been removed, the crying can become such a habit that it continues.

Frankly, I think the vast majority of people with such problems should be told to buck up and in no way indulged. The world will continue whether you are in it or not so you either take responsibility for your problems and take charge of solving them (i.e. reach adulthood) or shuffle off. That I am afraid is the 'real' world. Being a depressive can be quite an expensive business, maybe that's why so many middle-class kids suffer from it?

Cheer yourself up
Amiga Power Scans.

Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next