Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Borderlands 2
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:57 
It's all pish

Did Terramorphous tonight, and I'm not in the least bit embarrassed to say I used a sneaky-sneaky, cheaty glitch to do it. Turns out there's a "safe spot" at the edge of the play area. Logged in as my Japanese alter-ego, dumped him on the safe spot and then charged in as my L50 Gunzerker.
It still took me about 15-20 deaths before I could finally kill the bastard, but because I had another character still in the arena Terramorphous didn't regain his health after each death.

Whoever thought up Terramorphous is a cunt.

Xbox Live & Game Centre ID - MalcSeventyFour
You're not allowed to be better than me, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 19:43 
Hello Hello Hello

Malc74 wrote:
Did Terramorphous tonight, and I'm not in the least bit embarrassed to say I used a sneaky-sneaky, cheaty glitch to do it. Turns out there's a "safe spot" at the edge of the play area. Logged in as my Japanese alter-ego, dumped him on the safe spot and then charged in as my L50 Gunzerker.
It still took me about 15-20 deaths before I could finally kill the bastard, but because I had another character still in the arena Terramorphous didn't regain his health after each death.

Whoever thought up Terramorphous is a cunt.

I watched a video of a 'proper' Terramorphous kill with four L50s and I have to say it didn't look very interesting, they were basically just pumping him full of bullets for about 15 minutes and hiding behind rocks some of the time. I then watched some other kill videos and they were all pretty much the same.

I appreciate that there are no classes as such in BL2 and that everyone's a DPS (i.e. no designated tank, or healer, or DPS), but even so they could have put some movement phases into the fight or environment interaction or something like that.

As this thread will bear testament to I think BL2 absolutely rocks the house and was my game of the year for 2012, but the muitiplayer aspect of if does suck a bit IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 20:26 
It's all pish

The thing that annoys me about Terramorphous is that there's really no skill involved at all. It's all down to perseverance and pure, dumb luck. There's nowhere to run or hide and the cleverest strategy is right out the window if you get blatted out of the arena by one of his oversized tentacles.
You either stand with your back to the cliff wall and court certain death or run around on the plain and take the very real risk that you're going to get twatted off the edge.

Or you're lucky enough to have found The Bee and Conference Call which, along with some slag grenades apparently give you a chance to take him out solo, but I think the last couple of updates have made this much harder to do.

If there hadn't been two achievements hanging on me beating him I wouldn't even have bothered, to be honest.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 22:41 
EvilTrousers

Yay - I got me a purple relic for completing the doctor's notes mission for Tannis in the Wildlife Preserve. Finally got the "Decked Out" cheevo as a result.

TVHM playthrough means I'm doing a lot of side quests I didn't bother with on my first playthrough and they have almost all been really cracking missions.

Level 46 now - 50 is almost in sight. Must. Stop. Playing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:15 
Gogmagog

Re classes: Apparently, the Sleeper NPC is EvE will switch targets to attack the support ships, or ships giving bonuses to the mdamage dealing ships to prevent this sort of "tank, dps, heal" stuff from WoW as this increased the difficulty of killing them..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 13:41 
It's all pish

The fuckers seem to be proud of these "Invincible" enemies, as there's one at the end of each piece of DLC. I just skipped through a video of someone using a glitch to get past Pyro Pete in the Torgue DLC. Pete is glitched onto a wall and can't get down, and therefore the player is pretty much just blasting him with impunity and dodging his attacks.

The video is twenty three minutes long.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 15:47 
Honey Boo Boo

I'm reminded of the Lambent Berseker in Gears of War 3 when you say 23 minutes. Even with four of us shooting it, too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 19:36 
Hello Hello Hello

Loving the Captain Scarlett expansion, although not so much Captain Scarlett herself - I think Shades is a far better character.

Once again though I'm simply finding it too hard to leave optional quests alone and am having to force myself to stay on the main story mode before the quests turn trivial.

Plus, having now got my head around the BEST FRIENDS FOREVER talent tree, I'm finding it far more durable than the ANARCHY tree, since Deathtrap is such a badass motherfucker from that tree, and I don't take any aim penalty, the loss of raw DPS output is more than compensated for.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 20:37 
Hello Hello Hello

Well that's the Captain Scarlett DLC finished, I appear to have a couple of 'after-quests' to do but certainly the main storyline has been polished off, and I ascended to the TEMPLE OF GORGEOUS SHINING LOOT.

I'll finish off the few loose ends I have plus the couple of extra quests that have become available, and then it'll be onto Torgue.

Rather worryingly though, everything's trivial now, and the enemies aren't scaling to my level. I suspect the entire Torgue campaign will be trivial difficulty, so at L34 it'll be pretty easy albeit not a total cakewalk.

Perhaps it's time for TVHM mode, but I don't much fancy starting the entire game all over again.

Either way, it's been a truly glorious gaming experience overall and there's still a lot to come, last night I was blasting away after the family was tucked up in bed and it occurred to me on more than one occasion that this is the kind of videogaming experience I'd dreamed might exist in the future back when I was a teenager.

Definitely my GOTY for 2012 and depending on how 2013 pans out, it might manage 2013 as well......

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 21:39 
EvilTrousers

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
Either way, it's been a truly glorious gaming experience overall and there's still a lot to come, last night I was blasting away after the family was tucked up in bed and it occurred to me on more than one occasion that this is the kind of videogaming experience I'd dreamed might exist in the future back when I was a teenager.

Definitely my GOTY for 2012 and depending on how 2013 pans out, it might manage 2013 as well......

:this: . So much :this:

Totally missed Lynchwood first time round so did most of the missions there earlier. I'm never less than amazed by the high quality of stuff that I might never have come across if I'd just followed the main quest.

Got a couple of levels to go to get my assassin to L50 then I might do the whole thing again with a different character as there's definitely a fair few side quests I've missed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:40 
Hello Hello Hello

Trousers wrote:
Totally missed Lynchwood first time round so did most of the missions there earlier. I'm never less than amazed by the high quality of stuff that I might never have come across if I'd just followed the main quest.

I hit a real high point with it on Friday night, can't remember the name of the zone I was in but it was one of the DLC areas, where the CENSORSHIP robot is who wants you to purge Pandora of smut and piracy and bad language.

I was giddily blasting my way through waves of robots, doing the old 1-2 with slag>corrode on the enemies, I had homing corrosive health-stealing grenades on the go, Deathtrap doing his thing, and I've really got my head around the BEST FRIENDS FOREVER talent tree. I was, if I do say so myself, on top of my shit.

Of course the games looks absolutely glorious, and I'm playing it in totally pimped out PhysX-o-vision so there's all kind of crazy graphical effects going on, music pounding away, my mechromancer shrieking with joy at the carnage, the whole thing is just an amazing explosion of primary colours and sheer gaming joy - and I thought, 'This is what videogames should be, this is what it's all about, this is fucking brilliant'.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 18:55 
It's all pish

I'm starting to regret picking up all the Borderlands 1 DLC when it was on sale last week, as it's uniformly atrocious so far.
In fact, I'm glad I didn't buy it when it first came out, because I think it would have completely put me off buying Borderlands 2.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 19:05 
It's all pish

Oh, and Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt is out now. I'm downloading it through the season pass thingy, but I think I'm going to hold off playing for a while, until they actually pull their fingers out and increase the level cap.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 20:16 
Paws for thought

Malc74 wrote:
In fact, I'm glad I didn't buy it when it first came out, because I think it would have completely put me off buying Borderlands 2.

Hello!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 20:28 
Hello Hello Hello

I'm working my way through the Torgue DLC but nothing at all is scaling to my level (mobs or quests) and I'm basically just walking all over everything. I'm Level 35 and the baddies are 30 or 31.

Do I have to be in TVHM mode to get stuff to scale?

I had a look at TVHM mode but it seemed to start the entire game again, rather than let me carry on with where I was up to quests wise, but on a harder difficulty level.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 21:03 
It's all pish

Mr Dave wrote:
Malc74 wrote:

Hello!

The improvement is staggering. The DLC for B2 actually has fast travel locations for a start.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 21:06 
It's all pish

I'm working my way through the Torgue DLC but nothing at all is scaling to my level (mobs or quests) and I'm basically just walking all over everything. I'm Level 35 and the baddies are 30 or 31.

Do I have to be in TVHM mode to get stuff to scale?

I had a look at TVHM mode but it seemed to start the entire game again, rather than let me carry on with where I was up to quests wise, but on a harder difficulty level.

In Normal mode the DLC seems to cap out at L30 or thereabouts. You can switch back and forward between normal and TVHM playthroughs whenever you like, so there's nothing to stop you starting a TVHM playthrough, going straight to the DLC (which will level with you) and then go back to your normal playthrough if there's anything you still need to tidy up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 21:22 
Honey Boo Boo

Malc74 wrote:
I'm starting to regret picking up all the Borderlands 1 DLC when it was on sale last week, as it's uniformly atrocious so far.

Pfft, what do you know? A crappy DLC of palette-swapped enemies is HILARIOUS because it's poking fun at itself for being just that! No? How about yet another arena DLC entirely at odds with the rest of the game, that took the developers less time in seconds to make than it costs in MS Points? Oh. Fine, have the one proper DLC, then, I hope you like endless stretches of road. In fact, have another one too, with some grindtastic collect'em up shit thrown in for fun.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 21:55 
It's all pish

metalangel wrote:
Fine, have the one proper DLC, then, I hope you like endless stretches of road.

Knoxx is brutal. Playing in playthrough 2 difficulty was nigh-on impossible; not to mention I stumbled on the Level 61 loot midget the fuckers put in for laughs, who killed me in less time than it takes to say "Lilith's tits". Then I switched back to playthrough 1 difficulty and fuck me, some of the fuckers were still taking four hits with a sniper rifle to put down, even though I was seventeen levels higher than them!
And let's not even talk about the prospect of having to drive along those roads all over again, because there are no fast travel locations except for the one at the very beginning.

Worth mentioning to anyone who's interested - in Borderlands 2, the sniper rifles actually hit their targets most of the time. And you don't jump six feet in the air everytime you get hit by a bullet.

It's the same type of game, but B1 looks incredibly unpolished and downright bloody-minded next to B2 most of the time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 22:17 
Hello Hello Hello

Malc74 wrote:
Oh, and Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt is out now. I'm downloading it through the season pass thingy, but I think I'm going to hold off playing for a while, until they actually pull their fingers out and increase the level cap.

There's a new fast-travel location for it, same as the other two.

I went down to have a look, don't know if it scales or it just happens to be tuned for starting at L35, but the mobs I encountered were L35 and L36.

The first big spider thing I agrroed killed me 8)

I was then somewhat more careful about things, but even then the fights were all pretty tough, taking on groups of enemies was very challenging.

Either I'm crap, or the fact I'm basically maxing out at L30 guns is really holding me back. Dunno if the Hammerlock DLC is designed for people who've got a load of nice gear out of TVHM mode or something.

The guns and shields out of the vending machines were better than anything I had equipped, so it looks as if the gear has done a real leap, as happens with a WoW expansion.

Not quite sure what I'll do now in all honesty, I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and make a proper start on my TVHM playthrough.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 0:34 
It's all pish

Yeah, I went to check it out and ended up playing until I got to the lodge. I was playing in TVHM and everything was L49-51. Almost got stomped by a spider, but managed to see it off in the end.

The Shift keys they post on Twitter from time to time are very handy for picking up rare loot from the chest in Sanctuary - it's definitely helped me along a bit. I'm quite surprised they aren't starting to charge money for Shift key bundles yet, to be honest.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:52 
Honey Boo Boo

I am really enjoying the game at the moment. The auto-shotgun you get for returning Marcus' dirty pics of Moxxi to her is fantastic. How common are auto-shotguns? I'll be sad when I out-level it, it's great fun.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 0:09 
Hello Hello Hello

Decided to just get on and start TVHM mode, I'm completely ignoring the optional quests (I did nearly all of them on my normal playthrough anyway), and since everything just scales to my level it's not like I'll end up under-level or over-level for the content.

It was a little bit rough to start with as the enemies had all scaled to my level (L35) but all my weapons were 30/31. Few second winds and a couple of deaths, which were costly at $34,000 each!

First bit of good luck was Boom and Bewm dropping that insane grenade that spawns 10 (!) child grenades, an orange item scaled to L35 so that's fucking devastating.

Was starting to get my eye in far more with how to play TVHM mode by this point anyway, so always matching my weapon type to enemy (including pinging away at shields with a shield weapon before switching to a different weapon for the main health bar, which I've never had to bother with before), using grenades a lot more readily, sniping where possible, slag > corrode/flesh etc, and I really can't lie - an awful lot of running away until the enemies gave up, waiting for my Deathtrap cooldown and shield/health to regenerate, and then going back in for another try.

On the fight up to Captain Flynt another bit of good luck with an L36 green sniper rifle drop (I'd dinged L36 by that point so could equip it straight away), highly effective against flesh and a decent mag size with great accuracy, so that helped a lot. Plus I had an L36 shield I'd been waiting to equip as well.

As such, by the time I got to Flynt I was reasonably well armed and far more down with the 'rhythm' of TVHM mode as well, got him down pretty comfortably at the first attempt.

I've got to Three Horns Divide, saved there, will resume tomorrow.

If anything I think I'm going to enjoy the TVHM playthrough as much as my first playthrough, albeit in a different sort of way if that makes sense - more for the challenge rather than the outright giddy fun lunacy of the first playthrough.

Once I've completed the main story again I'll then go off and do Torgue, then Hammerlock, not sure I'll do Scarlett again though.

I did note that I could travel directly to the DLC starting zones from the first fast travel station in Claptrap's house, but I just fancied a crack at TVHM mode in the normal game for some reason.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 22:03 
Hello Hello Hello

Got to Sanctuary in TVHM mode (I reckon it's about three hours play from a clean start if you ignore the optionals) and realised I didn't want to play through the entire game again so soon (it is less than a month since I did it for the first time).

As such, I've spent a few golden keys in Sanctuary (thanks to the new Community Guide feature on Steam I have looooads of keys :D) to get what I felt was a reasonable weapons arsenal for my level, and set off for the Hammerlock DLC.

It plays a very tough game, but I'm certainly finding it manageable, and less annoying than my abortive attempt with the same DLC when I was on-level but my weapons were under-level.

So I'll do Hammerlock in TVHM, then Torgue in TVHM (I gave up on that in normal mode as it was all trivial and a bit pointless), and then return to my main game TVHM playthrough.

Not convinced I'll do the Scarlett DLC again in TVHM though.

I have to say though, I can't see any good reason that they can't just have the whole thing scale in normal mode, I don't understand why it's the sole preserve of TVHM mode.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:17 
Honey Boo Boo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGTc2l3NmS8

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:11 
Hello Hello Hello

Got fed up with the Hammerlock DLC, too many insanely tough bloody animals to kill, so jaunted off to do the Torgue DLC instead (with TVHM mode scaling wherever you are and whatever you're doing, it's nice and easy to flit around).

Enjoying that more, but I still just wish there was an option to have all the DLC scale in normal mode rather than having to do it in TVHM mode if you want it to be on level, it does feel a bit overly tough sometimes, especially if you're not getting much luck with weapon drops, which I'm not at the moment.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 21:50 
Hello Hello Hello

Ahhhh yes, the Torgue DLC is massively more entertaining than the Hammerlock DLC, not sure why, but I got into the groove with it much better.

I think it might be down to the landscape, the Hammerlock DLC is sort of open spaces and suchlike, whereas the Torgue DLC is more of an urban environment - which lends itself much more to trickery and sniping from rooftops and getting enemies trapped in enclosed spaces before lobbing a 10x child grendade into the mix. (Plus it's mainly humanoid enemies, which I get on better with. In terms of killing them, that is.)

Will definitely go back to the Hammerlock DLC, but I'll use the Torgue DLC to get a seriously mental weapons loadout sorted, and then return to the Hammerlock DLC.

Super cool game overall, quality stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 21:35 
Hello Hello Hello

Quote:
I'M SO CLOSE TO THE EDGE OF MY SEAT, THAT THE CHAIR IS PRACTICALLY IRRELEVANT AT THIS POINT!

The Torgue DLC is fucking awesome.

Hammerlock, not so much so.

Scarlett is excellent.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 22:27 
Hello Hello Hello

TORGUE DLC FINISH IN TVHM MODE - Spectacularly good, solid 10/10, fucking superb.

SCARLETT DLC FINISH PREVIOUSLY IN NORMAL MODE - Excellent but doesn't have the sheer pizazz of the Torgue DLC, 9/10 may upgrade to a 10 after I've done it in TVHM mode.

HAMMERLOCK DLC IN TVHM MODE - Working my way through it and after an alarmingly poor start has really stepped up a gear to start being surprisingly awesome. Jury still out but it's properly hit its stride now. NOTE -
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Claptrap turns up again, but I like him, especially now he's ascended to a God in his own little robot head.

MAIN GAME FINISH IN NORMAL MODE AND PLAYING THROUGH AGAIN IN TVHM MODE - Late entry for GOTY 2012, still early days but GOTY 2013 has a lot to do to beat this.

OVERALL - Best game I've played in ages. Fantastic stuff. Also, a textbook example of how to do DLC properly.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 17:47 
Hello Hello Hello

The Hammerlock DLC is a bit brutal, the various savages and witch doctors in particular are a dreadful pain in the arse.

I've gone back to my main campaign playthrough, I think I need to get seriously tooled up for the Hammerlock DLC, unless I'm just doing it wrong, which is entirely possible.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 21:52 
Hello Hello Hello

I have just two words to describe my current RAGE with TVHM mode.

No hang on I'll stretch it out to three words.

GLUTTONOUS FUCKING THRESHER.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 0:36 
It's all pish

I could never get on with threshers until I learned to be at least two levels higher than them (otherwise run away, run away!) and pack some kind of monstrous shotgun to take them out at close quarters.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 0:55 
Hello Hello Hello

Malc74 wrote:
I could never get on with threshers until I learned to be at least two levels higher than them (otherwise run away, run away!) and pack some kind of monstrous shotgun to take them out at close quarters.

Well this being a boss thresher he's clearly a total bastard. I remember having some measure of difficulty with him in my normal playthrough so I really wasn't relishing the TVHM flavour.

I was at least packing a reasonable arsenal this time round, but was still getting my ass kicked.

You can't go toe-to-toe with the bugger so I was sort of trying to train him around so that him and the robots in the area would fight amongst themselves. Problem with that is the thresher always picks you as his #1 enemy, and the robots are 50/50 at best as to who they'll go for - plus Thresher himself just burrows and spawns above ground all the time, usually right fucking next to you.

Got him very close on one attempt but knobbed up my movement and he got one of those 'one shot kill' moves in on me. GRRRRRR.

I then decided to try something different and headed over to the left hand side of the area where the hangars are, and discovered that round the back of one of the hangars, he basically can't spawn on top of you, as the 'strip' at the back of the hangar is too narrow for him to spawn in. (I think he needs a large sort of 'square' on the map grid to appear from, and it doesn't exist round the back of that hangar.)

Using the 'dead zone' at the back of the hangar I was basically able to control his spawns to an extent, run off to the left and he'd spawn somewhere in a 90 degree arc on that side, over to the right it was even tighter, and he was even more locked down - which enabled me to get a rhythm down with:

1) Sniper rifle with shield element damage to fuck off his randomly and infinitely regenerating shield
2) SMG with slag to get the slag effect on him
3) DEATHTRAP AHOY doing nice electrical damage + the slag on his flesh - toasty
4) Me using a basic but powerful 'normal' pistol with a ridiculous mag (30 or 40 shots IIRC) with slow bullets but high accuracy, perfect for strafing a big static target and hitting reasonably hard.

And basically rinse wash repeat on that, depending on how 'tight' his spawn was sometimes it was more just a case of hide in the dead zone and hope for a better spawn next time, and every time Deathtrap went on cooldown it was just a case of hiding full stop.

The good thing about the spot in general was no robots came out there whatsoever, so even though it took a while, it was just me versus the Thresher.

Took a good few minutes but the kill in the end was fairly straightforward.

Still loving the game to pieces, Level 44 now, think I might go back and see if I'm overpowering some of the Hammerlock DLC now, 'cause that was causing me the most bother.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:45 
It's all pish

Ah fuck, that bastard of a thresher! Yeah, I'd forgotten about him!
He totally fucked me up a couple of times, until I realised that the bridge controls that get blown up by the loader as you're going in are back again if you restart the game. I just lowered the bridge, ran over, lured the bastard out of his compound, scooted over the bridge, raised it and then blasted him from the relative security of the other side of the gap.

He wasn't fun at all.

Even worse is the protecting the fucking beacon thing in Overlook. Wasn't too much of an issue with my Gunzerker playthrough, but my Assassin got eaten alive in there, over and over again.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:47 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Interesting...I couldn't get anywhere with my Gunzerker character (probably need to look again at his build) but found the run through with my Assassin a doddle.

I wish you were able to take the original characters through the new game as playing the original I realise I miss my Bloodwing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:35 
EvilTrousers

Malc74 wrote:
Even worse is the protecting the fucking beacon thing in Overlook. Wasn't too much of an issue with my Gunzerker playthrough, but my Assassin got eaten alive in there, over and over again.

See I found that much more difficult on my first playthrough with my assassin. In TVHM with a geared up assassin and bore++corrosive weaponry I chewed through those fuckers with only about 1 second wind. On both occasions I was at the same level as the incoming robots.

I think that is entirely indicative of the awesomeness of the game - even the same characters at the same point result in different experiences.

As regards that Thresher though - totally agree - fucked me right off. In the end I had someone assisting* me split screen so its health didn't regenerate.

Bit of a pain in the arse that a game with such care and attention to detail could have a boss which basically can swipe 80% of your health off you from just about anywhere and you can't see it coming. Cheap bastards.

*hiding at the other end of the map

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 18:09 
Hello Hello Hello

Trousers wrote:
I think that is entirely indicative of the awesomeness of the game - even the same characters at the same point result in different experiences.

:this:

Even though me and the chaps are ploughing our own furrows with the game (since it's a better game in single player than multiplayer), we're still sharing tales of our adventures over a cup of tea at work.

Sometimes we've done areas/bosses in the same fashion, but quite often we've managed to come up with completely different solutions to the same situations.

We're all moving through the 40s now in TVHM, and we'll deffo be having a crack at the big bosses once we've got four of us with L50s to play.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 0:40 
Hello Hello Hello

Hybrid build!

This was very much a staple of WoW and I have no doubt loads of other earlier RPG games that I never played but am not aware of, but it was WoW where I first experienced this.

Basically, you end up with too many talent points to put into one tree, you can put them all into one tree but you end up on a curve of diminishing returns, so you spill over the extra points into a secondary tree and try to combine some of the cool stuff from both trees.

I tried to do this earlier on in BL2 but I didn't have enough extra points to make the secondary tree viable, and my mod at the time wasn't giving crucial enhancements to my primary tree.

I revisited it this evening at Level 47 (probably left it a bit late), as you can see I've got down to the bottom of BEST FRIENDS FOREVER as efficiently as possible (including a massively useful +3 and +4 from my mod, shown with the blue circles here), and then used the extra points in the ANARCHY tree, managing to get down to a couple of crucial Tier 3 and Tier 4 talents (shown with the red circles here).

The difference is fucking staggering, Choplette is now kicking ass on a biblical scale. She's not indestructible by any stretch of the imagination, (in fact both her and Deathtrap are squishier since I moved a lot of points out of the BEST FRIENDS FOREVER tree), but with the instant +25 anarchy stack talent and Deathtrap bonuses from both trees, she's a serious death machine.

I do so love this game, the only thing I don't like about it is I'll get to the point where I've done everything and there'll be no reason to play it any more.

Attachment:
cool.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 23:48 
Hello Hello Hello

Well it appears my current mechro build is almost too good :metul:

I'm just stamping all over everything, even in TVHM.

Admittedly I have had a nice little run with weapon drops, and I used the last of my golden keys to open the super chest in Sanctuary a few more times, plus I've given Moxxi piles of cash on a couple of occasions until she offered up her amazing breasts favourite gun - as such I'm running with a nice selection of weapons, although not off the scale awesome truth be told. (I'm still using the orange L35 grenade that dropped off Boom & Bewm at the start of my TVHM playthrough, and there are a couple of greens in there too. Mostly blue, purple and E-Tech around my level (48) though.)

I also absolutely will not let go of my blue L35 mod, because it gives a perfect 'free' seven talent points in the BEST FRIENDS FOREVER tree, which is why I've been able to get so far down the ANARCHY tree.

Obviously it's all within the confines of the design of the game and it's not a cheat in any way, but it has just made for a nifty little character setup that's absolutely fucking deadly. The BNK3R and Rescue Angel fights were absolutely trivial, far easier than on my normal playthrough.

With it being TVHM I still have to be careful of course, as the incoming damage can be so devastating, so quickly, but as long as I keep my wits about me, I'm basically a quick-moving jive-talking wall of death.

On one level I do feel like I've 'beaten' the game now because I'm pretty much kicking it about at will even in hard mode, but it's still such a delightfully fun game to play that I'll see it out to the end again, return to and finish off the Hammerlock DLC and then maybe look at some sort of completionist approach to do every quest in the game and that sort of thing.

One of the best games I've ever played, I think it's safe to say.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:56 
Excellent Member

I've given Moxxi piles of cash on a couple of occasions until she offered up her amazing breasts favourite gun

Idly Googling that character led me to this slightly NSFW image that I thought I'd share because, well, click it and see.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 17:40 
Hello Hello Hello

Which sackless idiots complained about this?

TINY TINA IS RACIALIST!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... -of-racism

I hope they tell them to fuck off and make Tiny Tina the main character in Borderlands 3.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 18:09 
Hello Hello Hello

Bamba wrote:
I've given Moxxi piles of cash on a couple of occasions until she offered up her amazing breasts favourite gun

Idly Googling that character led me to this slightly NSFW image that I thought I'd share because, well, click it and see.

Oh my.

I'm not normally one for comically large breastages, but I might make an exception there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 18:23 
EvilTrousers

Which sackless idiots complained about this?

TINY TINA IS RACIALIST!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... -of-racism

I hope they tell them to fuck off and make Tiny Tina the main character in Borderlands 3.

I read the article and though "What the holy royal FUCK?". It's not as if it's Jar Jar Binks - it's proper funny is what it is. Nothing more nothing less.

I'm giving Borderlands 2 a rest now until some DLC comes out that raises the level cap. Killing stuff and not seeing the XP numbers is somehow less satsfying.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 19:11 
Hello Hello Hello

Trousers wrote:
I'm giving Borderlands 2 a rest now until some DLC comes out that raises the level cap. Killing stuff and not seeing the XP numbers is somehow less satsfying.

I've not hit 50 yet but I am 48, and I'm wondering how I'll feel about it all once I know there are no more levels coming, no more talent points to spend, no higher level weapons to come and so on. Plus of course, watching the XP bar move along is a compelling reward mechanism in and of itself.

In WoW there's a whole new game starts at the level cap, as you start to gear up your character for dungeons and heroic dungeons and raiding, get your professions maxed out, go for reputation with the factions to unlock gear and enchants and, well, literally a whole new game to start.

Incidentally Trousers, if you really like BL2 (and you obviously do), don't be afraid to give WoW a go - they do have an awful lot in common. Certainly if you find yourself with time to kill in hotel rooms on a regular basis, and you have an internet connection - WoW could be ideal. It'll also run nicely on any reasonably modern laptop.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:52 
EvilTrousers

Incidentally Trousers, if you really like BL2 (and you obviously do), don't be afraid to give Porn a go - they do have an awful lot in common. Certainly if you find yourself with time to kill in hotel rooms on a regular basis, and you have an internet connection - Porn could be ideal. It'll also run nicely on any reasonably modern laptop.

FeeX

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 0:38 
It's all pish

I'm giving a rest for now as well. I've gone back to the original Borderlands and am hatefully grinding through some of the DLC for that.
Incidentally, Randy Pitchford seemed to indicate on twitter recently that a level cap raise might be a while off yet, sadly.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:00 
Hello Hello Hello

Malc74 wrote:
I'm giving a rest for now as well. I've gone back to the original Borderlands and am hatefully grinding through some of the DLC for that.
Incidentally, Randy Pitchford seemed to indicate on twitter recently that a level cap raise might be a while off yet, sadly.

Don't they just change a number in a config file from 50 to 60?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:05 
Hello Hello Hello

I returned to the main campaign a few days ago, I'm a way into the Hammerlock DLC (Chapter 4 IIRC) but I've decided to leave the rest of it for the level cap increase. In the meantime I will just finish my main campaign TVHM playthrough, and then mop up ALL THE QUESTS. I have it in my head to do every single quest in the entire game.

Dinged 50 last night but was quite happy to carry on playing, didn't miss the increasing XP bar as much as I thought I would, plus it seems to tune weapon/item drops, quest rewards and vendors to 48-50 immediately, so a nice opportunity to get tooled up.

I must retract my earlier statement about stamping all over it though, the fight up to that bit where you have to blow up the guy's chopper to get him to come down the lift so you can get up to the top and have the Slabs pick up all the explosives, was particularly tough.

At one point I was wedged between threshers at the entrance side of the camp, and all the baddies in the camp on the other. Much running away and inventive use of all my arsenal was called for. Died a few times too, loads of second winds. Oh yes, and fucking three or four Buzzards at once plus all the bastards on the ground, which was nice.

My current favourite weapon is an absolutely insane L48 blue Torgue (explosive!) shotgun that uses three bullets per shot and only has a mag size of 7. With the mag size penalty from the ANARCHY tree that reduces to 6, although that makes no difference as it's still just two shots per mag with either 7 or 6 mag size.

The damage is proper mental, it seems to fire about seven explosive shells per shot, with a decent number of anarchy stacks (75+ or so), it basically two shots fucking anything, even Super Badasses. The trick of course is getting close enough to them to use the bloody thing, although Deathtrap is very handy to distract their attention.

Possibly the most glorious gunplay of any game - ever.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 19:49 
Hello Hello Hello

I'm having serious problems killing a SUPER BADASS CONSTRUCTOR.

After several VERY FUCKING EXPENSIVE DEATHS the Hyperion reconstructor thing that you respawn at says to me sarcastically:

'So, how are things?'

Still, that big fucking Saturn bastard dropped this.

Attachment:
orange50.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 23:37 
It's all pish

Malc74 wrote:

Don't they just change a number in a config file from 50 to 60?

Heh. Somebody on Twitter asked Pitchford that very question. He was... rather unimpressed, as apparently they have to go back and re-tweak the entire game for some reason.

Reply to topic  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next