Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Borderlands 2
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:35 

There were a couple of properly decent guns in there when I opened it, one was worth about 5k and the other about 2k, much better than anything I've seen for sale, so I was properly kicking myself.

But yeah, I love the gunplay, the story, the writing, the art direction, in fact most things about it really.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:37 
ugvm'er at heart...

Bastards, i've just bought this on Steam.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:00 

You'll enjoy it and by all accounts the PC version is excellent.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:17 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
Bastards, i've just bought this on Steam.

Let me know what you think Trooper, I'd really like this game but the inevitable STEAM EFFECT will kick in and make me cross.

'Ha ha we have noticed you just spent £30 on a game, so just for you it's £15 in this weekend's Steam Sale!'

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 15:50 
ugvm'er at heart...

s'alright. It's pretty much exactly as I expected, Diablo with guns, same as the last one. It's good fun to play, looks lovely, chugs a bit with the phys-x business turned up but then I have an ATI card, interface is as clunky as ever even with the changes. For a game that is all about loot collection, inventory management leaves a lot to be desired! It is fun, amusing and brutal though, so you can forgive the issues.
I'll no doubt play it for a few days then stop for some reason and never go back :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:04 
ugvm'er at heart...

Oh, for all you PC spods out there, this plays so much better with an xbox controller. The UI and inventory management makes a lot more sense and I find combat is a lot easier (that may just be what i'm used to these days though).

Just to be clear, i'm talking about using an xbox controller on a PC. This post was in no way intended to be a slight against PC's, nor was it intended to be any sort of comparison statement or declaration of preference regarding console or PC gaming. Your home may be at risk if you do not continue payments. The values of your shares can go down as well as up. Your mom plays PC games.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 16:02 
It's all pish

Worth following Randy Pitchford's Twitter account this weekend, as he's tweeting golden key codes at regular intervals if that sort of thing interests you.

Xbox Live & Game Centre ID - MalcSeventyFour
You're not allowed to be better than me, though.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 16:17 
ugvm'er at heart...

Malc74 wrote:
Worth following Randy Pitchford's Twitter account this weekend, as he's tweeting golden key codes at regular intervals if that sort of thing interests you.

Ta, I just picked up an extra key :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 20:06 
Honey Boo Boo

Played rather a lot yesterday, my friend has charged on Dimrill-style to near the end, so his character was all but invulnerable to the foes in my story and he also provided me with some astonishing guns. I now have an awesome corrosive SMG that eats robots for breakfast, and just found an even better incendiary sniper rifle which makes short work of organic things. He just rampaged ahead and ruined the storyline for me, including the bit with Lilith where I blundered around trying to figure out where the path to her was while the story played out over the ECHO communication thingy.

SWEET FUCK some of the quests are tedious.

As Malc74 said, the bit at the Dam is far, far too long which is a shame given how exciting it is otherwise. Likewise, the 'Firehawk Cult' one is seemingly endless, with lots of tedious runs across the landscape in the service of cunts... the penultimate mission requires almost ten minutes of just running through a previous area (no vehicles are present).

Word to the wise: That golden key thing you've got? It only works once per account. Don't accidentally open that big tempting box in Sanctuary with it unless you're very sure.

Oh, and according to the subtitles, Claptrap's beatboxing is 'unce unce unce'.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 20:14 
Skillmeister

metalangel wrote:
has charged on Dimrill-style to near the end,

Ay?! The first one you were late to the party. Me and Dave had co-oped it to the second city by the time you dragged your arse online. Not even a word you were going to buy it neither!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 21:17 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

metalangel wrote:
As Malc74 said, the bit at the Dam is far, far too long which is a shame given how exciting it is otherwise. Likewise, the 'Firehawk Cult' one is seemingly endless, with lots of tedious runs across the landscape in the service of cunts... the penultimate mission requires almost ten minutes of just running through a previous area (no vehicles are present).

I thought the Dam mission was superb. It was long, but I enjoyed every minute. Goodness some of the Firehawk cult missions are tedious though, yes.

Quote:
Word to the wise: That golden key thing you've got? It only works once per account. Don't accidentally open that big tempting box in Sanctuary with it unless you're very sure.

It does, but you can get another one by signing up for Shift under Extras on the main menu, and Gearbox people are tweeting loads of codes for more of them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 22:00 
It's all pish

metalangel wrote:
As Malc74 said, the bit at the Dam is far, far too long which is a shame given how exciting it is otherwise.

ALSO! Don't do what I did, which is get all the way to the end of that quest, get totally wasted by the boss, run out of ammo for your best guns and think to yourself - "Hey! There's a fast travel thingy here, which means I can scoot out, level up a bit and come back later. Hurrah!"
There is a fast travel kiosk. But it doesn't show up on the fast travel map. So what did I have to do last night? Do the whole fucking quest again, right from the start.
Thankfully it's done now.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:35 
ugvm'er at heart...

More golden key codes, active for the next hour or so.

WinPC: CBC3B-KKSFS-XTTTB-B3J33-RCW6R
X360: CBKBB-RSJWF-JXFJR-5XT3T-5RX3J
PS3: CBKBB-RSJZB-RZBKJ-9TW3T-5RXR6

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 17:41 
Honey Boo Boo

NOBODY STEALS MUSHY SNUGGLEBITES' BADONKADONK AND LIVES!
:DD

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 17:50 
Slightly Brackish

So basically, it's still a hateful drudge but with occasionally funny snippets thrown in at intervals to make you chuckle and forgive the tedium for just long enough to reach the next funny bit?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 17:53 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'm enjoying it, i've put in 11 hours over the weekend and it has taken me away from guild wars 2, so it has something going for it :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 18:40 
Honey Boo Boo

Alberto wrote:
So basically, it's still a hateful drudge but with occasionally funny snippets thrown in at intervals to make you chuckle and forgive the tedium for just long enough to reach the next funny bit?

It's all about shooting a TON of bullets and trying out different guns. Plus the world is bright and colourful and offensive and funny, I can't think of anything else quite like it apart from perhaps Saint's Row.

Can we get rid of Claptrap and have Tiny Tina as the mascot? She deserves her own game!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 18:42 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Alberto wrote:

If you find the basic premise of shoot and loot tedious, then sure. But then, probably best not to buy a shoot and loot game.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 23:16 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Craster wrote:
Alberto wrote:

If you find the basic premise of shoot and loot tedious, then sure. But then, probably best not to buy a shoot and loot game.

"If this is the sort of thing you like, you'll like this! 73%"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 23:41 
Honey Boo Boo

Grim... wrote:
"If this is the sort of thing you like, you'll like this! 73%"

That's so Future Publishing circa the 90s. Get with the 8/10gamer.net wave of the future!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:37 
It's all pish

Had an odd thing happen tonight - went to Friendship Gulag (or whatever it's called) and while I was there I had infinite sniper rifle ammo. Lasted for the fifteen minutes or so I was there, plus another ten minutes in another couple of areas and then my sniper rifle started using up ammo again. Any other gun I used during that period consumed ammo normally.

Bug, or is there some kind of time-limited pickup that does this kind of thing?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:49 
Honey Boo Boo

I hope you're right, as I could have done with having it during Tiny Tina's Tea Party.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:03 
UltraMod

Craster wrote:
Alberto wrote:

What other games would you put in that genre? It seemed like Fallout 3 to me, just boring.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:07 
ugvm'er at heart...

The Last Salmon Man wrote:
Craster wrote:
Alberto wrote:

What other games would you put in that genre? It seemed like Fallout 3 to me, just boring.

It's an FPS Diablo.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 

I got bored of the first one but I haven't got bored of this one yet. That could just be because I'm in a different mood or that last time something else came along and distracted me. I simply don't know.

I should get a job as a reviewer.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:11 
Hibernating Druid

I'm still not sold on this. I enjoyed your review Mark, but you lost me a little at times.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:11 
ugvm'er at heart...

markg wrote:
I got bored of the first one but I haven't got bored of this one yet. That could just be because I'm in a different mood or that last time something else came along and distracted me. I simply don't know.

I should get a job as a reviewer.

Weirdly, this is exactly the same for me. No idea why as they are basically the same game.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:29 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

The acting is better and more entertaining, and a number of the quests are a fair bit more involved than the previous game.

Also, bonerfarts. I forgive this game pretty much anything just for that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 13:40 
It's all pish

Craster wrote:
Also, bonerfarts. I forgive this game pretty much anything just for that.

:this: Plus, Scooter's line about Crazy Earl eating one of his cars had me in stitches. And the psychos have so many more lines of dialogue this time around. And Tiny Tina is just superb.

It's a very hard game to hate, even when it's being a total arse to you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 13:23 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Face Mcshooty

Best mission in the game.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:05 
ugvm'er at heart...

More golden keys being posted on twitter today. First ones at noon, then every 6 hours or so I think.

@Gearboxsoftware is the account.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:37 
Hello Hello Hello

I strolled down to GAME with a mate after work yesterday, he'd been given £100 in GAME vouchers as a leaving present as it was his last day there (he's moving to a different department).

He wanted to buy Borderlands 2 on PC and a wired 360 pad, he's one of a strange breed of folk who voluntarily play FPS games on the PC with a pad!?!?!??!? His old 360 pad has been taken over by his son so he needs a new one.

'Sorry, we've sold out' - they said. (Of Borderlands 2 that is, not the wired 360 pads.)

STUPID PLACE. Maybe if you had a bit more shelf space dedicated to NEW FUCKING GAMES instead of PRE-OWNED FUCKING SHIT, EH?

It's still £30 on Steam, I refuse to cave in.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:32 
ugvm'er at heart...

It actually plays a lot better with a pad, I use one even though i'm on PC.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:38 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
It actually plays a lot better with a pad, I use one even though i'm on PC.

DEVIANT!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 13:35 
It's all pish

I seem to be quite a fair way through at this point, and I'm strongly of the opinion that they significantly fucked up the pacing of the side quests this time around. For most of the game I've struggled to find more than one or two side quests at a time to keep me occupied - and on a couple of occasions I had nothing but the main quest to work on.
Now suddenly, after a significant plot development, everyone is throwing two or three quests each at me, to the point where I think I've got about ten side quests active at the same time.

I may be remembering wrong, but the original game seemed to be a lot more evenly paced with its doling out of side quests.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 14:45 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

That was my feeling as well, I often found myself going back to previous areas just to make sure I hadn't missed a quest as the only thing I had on the go was the story.

Vault Hunter mode is a significant jump in difficulty from the normal campaign...it's an absolute bugger.

I've started on a Siren character now but I've actually got more of an itch to play through the original and DLC again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 21:14 
Honey Boo Boo

Mechromancer is out today! Downloading...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 23:28 
Honey Boo Boo

The Mechromancer is fun! She seems like she's Tiny Tina's older sister/cousin/whatever. Her special ability is releasing a robot which goes around and fights other people, both providing a second target for them that's not you, and doing some reasonable damage. The robot is called, hilariously, Deathtrap.

She also does Tiny Tina-esque soundbites when killing and other things, including a well timed and observed "awww, but I wanna use them both!" when I was comparing a newfound gun in the inventory screen vs my existing one.

She also has ANARCHY!

BL wikiwahwah wrote:
Killing an enemy or fully emptying your gun's magazine while in combat grants you a stack of Anarchy. For every stack of Anarchy you have, you gain bonus gun damage, but your accuracy is decreased. Prematurely reloading your guns removes all stacks of Anarchy. Anarchy stacks are quickly lost while in "Fight for Your Life."

My friend, who is currently obsessed with BL and 8972 Badass Rank, finds that he's making mincemeat of bosses and enemies several levels above thanks to Anarchy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 22:56 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

metalangel wrote:
BL wikiwahwah wrote:
Prematurely reloading your guns removes all stacks of Anarchy.

That's hugely annoying. I'm a compulsive reloader.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 23:24 
Honey Boo Boo

Especially as the game flashes RELOAD!!!! at you if you don't. I've done a lot of stuff around Sanctuary with it flashing, trying to ignore it.

Reloading and Fight For Your Life both fuck it, but the damage boost you get is insane if you put more points into it when levelling up.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:27 
It's all pish

MORTE! PUT THE JOYPAD DOWN! BACK SLOWLY AWAY FROM THE GAME!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:55 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Never!

Liking the new character class...seems slightly over powered compaerd to the others though. For example I managed to free Roland on the Bloodshot Ramparts this evenings rather than having to go to the Friendship Gulag as I had previously with the other characters (and I'm sure it's nothing to do with the maginal bonuses that I've built up for all the characters).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:16 
It's all pish

Okay, bullet-sponge midgets jumping out of loot boxes... just a tad tiresome when it happens with THREE BOXES IN A ROW.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 13:27 
ugvm'er at heart...

Pirate DLC is out today, apparently.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 19:36 
ugvm'er at heart...

And I'm sure it is great fun, if my game install recognised that there was any new content. Currently backing up then ill delete everything and redownload 6 gig of data to try and fix it...
Fucking PC gaming. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 22:12 
Honey Boo Boo

Trooper wrote:
Fucking PC gaming. ;)

It's the only proper way.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 17:15 
Honey Boo Boo

Been given one of those infinite ammo automatic pistols. It's level 50, I'm level 22, so I hope I remember it's in my safe when the time comes.

For some reason, I've been pushed ahead a few story missions. I'd joined a friend who was at
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
killing mutant Bloodwing
and now I'm there too, so I'm about four levels below where I should be.

I've got a lovely slag-firing SMG. It would be nice if your character didn't have to cough and splutter and go 'ugh, slag!' every few moments while holding it, especially during pivotal moments in the 'story'.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 18:48 
It's all pish

I'm pretty close to the end I think, and I've just been back to The Beginning (which will make sense when you get there).
Very enjoyable game. I think I'm at something ridiculous like two and a half days playtime at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:01 
It's all pish

Finally finished it tonight. Final boss isn't massively difficult if you can find a good place to blast it from.

Am now doing the Vault Hunter mode, which is... hard. The Bullymongs are ridiculous and I haven't even gotten out of Liar's Berg yet.
Just a warning though - if you pick the Vault Hunter mode you go back to the very start of the game (you still have all your weapons, levels and XP and stuff), but once you've made the decision there's no way to get back to where you were after you kill the final boss, so if you're cheevo hunting make sure you tidy up any extant quests/missions before you choose to give VH mode a crack.
As a bonus though, doing the early missions again earns thousands and thousands of XP points, so in terms of getting the Level 50 cheevo it's probably best to restart in Vault Hunter mode.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:02 
ugvm'er at heart...

Same here, I completed the first run through at the weekend, I think I was L32 when I finished. Thoroughly enjoyable in the main, but by the end I was skipping option quests to get to the end of the story. Like most games of this ilk, the "ending" is dragged out way too long. Now I know exactly how long it is and where the actual ending is, I'll be happier to play through it all again and do the quests I missed.

Haven't tried vault hunter mode yet. I shall remedy that this week.

Reply to topic  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next