Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 820 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Pinball Arcade
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:12 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Is the PC version considered the definitive version for new tables etc? I may take a punt on this.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:59 
Kvnt

I suppose the iOS one is just as good. The Xbox version hasn't had any new tables in a cunt's age, though...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 13:01 
Excellent Member

TheVision wrote:
Is the PC version considered the definitive version for new tables etc? I may take a punt on this.

I tried the free table on my android tablet and it's a chore to nudge properly, so yes, i would say to go for the PC version.

Zen Pinball seems better for mobile play since it doesn't rely so much on nudging. It has the disadvantage of very long games though...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 14:10 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

I think they have always done best for new tables on mobile (iOS and Android have always had the new tables on launch day) - although since the last big update (near the end of Season 2) the PC version has also been available on launch day.

The PS4 version is supposed to have slightly better lighting effects but I cant see any real difference

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 16:37 
Hello Hello Hello

The iOS version doesn't play right, don't know if that extends to Android as well but I gave a couple of tables a go on the iPad back in Season One (think I probably posted about it in this thread somewhere).

Very impressive given the constraints of the platform but it just felt a bit off to me.

The PS4 version uses a more advanced graphics/lighting engine which they're supposed to be implementing on the PC, at some point.....

In an ideal world the 360 version wouldn't have become abandonware and we'd still have funky friends leaderboards and be right up to date with the tables and stuff.....

Plays fine on the PC with a wired 360 pad though.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:05 
Hello Hello Hello

Dracula now released for Pinball Arcade, pretty tasty table this one and another Williams production (hopefully we've seen the last of the fucking Gottliebs and Sterns).

Also they've launched their Addam's Family Kickstarter, which I'll most certainly be backing (same as I did Twilight Zone and ST:TNG) - they need just short of $100K for this one!

Then again it is arguably the best pinball table ever made. Like, ever, by anyone.

Attachment:
addo.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 13:26 
Excellent Member

I know you really hate Stern's tables, but Ripley's Believe it or not is excellent.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 16:25 
Hello Hello Hello

RuySan wrote:
I know you really hate Stern's tables, but Ripley's Believe it or not is excellent.

Pat Lawlor design though :) Previously of Williams/Bally (he designed TZ and Addam's Family, amongst many others).

The problem I have with Stern tables is the shit hardware they use (the sound hardware is ancient Data East twaddle, Sega then used it practically unchanged when Data East went bang, and Stern are still fucking using it! That's why the audio on Stern tables is pretty shit).

The tables are also very much built to a budget, (understandable given the state of the pinball market I suppose), which is why their tables tend to be pretty bland affairs with not much in the way of outrageous and imaginative toys like Williams/Bally used to put on their tables.

But yes, Ripley's is a good table, but that's because it's the creation of the best designed Williams/Bally ever had :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 19:11 
Kvnt

Gonna grab the third table pack in a mo. Given that I mostly want to play for high scores, and therefore won't be changing the table settings (which presumably disqualifies you from the leaderboards), is it worth buying the 'Pro' versions?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 21:29 
8-Bit Champion

YOG wrote:
Gonna grab the third table pack in a mo. Given that I mostly want to play for high scores, and therefore won't be changing the table settings (which presumably disqualifies you from the leaderboards), is it worth buying the 'Pro' versions?

The other difference is you can turn off 'child' mode on tables - I have not bought any tables as pro but I played a lot of Elvira Scared Stiff on real tables and there are samples and lines that show up on the real tables which are censored by default on the Pinball Arcade ones

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 23:12 
Kvnt

Cheers, mate. Went for the cheaper option for now! I've just added those of you I could find on Steam, too. Feel free to add me ("Klatrymadon"). I need some scores to aim for! :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 22:36 
Excellent Member

i just did 700 million on Monster Bash but then i realized that challenge scores don't count for leaderboards. :spew:

I'll never play challenges again :facepalm:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:23 
Kvnt

Do the leaderboards take a while to update? Just scored around 78mil on Arabian Nights but it's still showing a 25mil score...

Edit: also, if you lose your connection in the middle of a game, your score won't be uploaded the next time you log in, will it? :(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:36 
Excellent Member

Yes, it does take a few minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 21:07 
Excellent Member

YOG wrote:

Edit: also, if you lose your connection in the middle of a game, your score won't be uploaded the next time you log in, will it? :(

Probably not. :'(

Heartly, what's your steam ID, so i can have someone else to show my rubbish scores?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 21:46 
Hello Hello Hello

RuySan wrote:
YOG wrote:

Probably not. :'(

Heartly, what's your steam ID, so i can have someone else to show my rubbish scores?

Just good old 'Chopley Turnip' :D

Really annoyingly there appeared to be some sort of scores wipe at some point (not that I had any amazing scores but I had a few good ones as I recall), and since I got obsessed with Hearthstone I haven't been playing Pinball Arcade much.

However, I'm more than up for a bit of a high score challenge if a few of us can agree on a table to have a crack at :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 22:01 
8-Bit Champion

Hearthly wrote:
However, I'm more than up for a bit of a high score challenge if a few of us can agree on a table to have a crack at :)

Pick something from Season 1 as more people are likely to have it ?

And the delayed iOS version of Dracula is now out , and i played a few games and it didnt click for me and then i realised i was getting it mixed up with Frankenstein :-(

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 23:03 
Kvnt

Theatre of Magic comp, maybe? I have all three packs now, though, so I'm up for anything! (Apart from some of the intolerable older widebody shiters.) :p

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 23:40 
Hello Hello Hello

Yes I concur, Theatre Of Magic is a fine table and it doesn't get as one note as chasing high scores on some of the others does.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:04 
8-Bit Champion

Hearthly wrote:
Yes I concur, Theatre Of Magic is a fine table and it doesn't get as one note as chasing high scores on some of the others does.

"Shoot for the Magic Drunk"

Okay - so a time limit - say next Friday - post your score in here from any version (Xbox/ps3/ps4/IOS/android/PC/Mac)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:02 
Excellent Member

Don't we all use the PC version?

We can use the "Weekly" tab on the leaderboards

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:18 
8-Bit Champion

RuySan wrote:

I mainly play on Mac and i'm not sure if it uses steamworks to merge the scores or not - you would need everyone to be on your friends list on Steam (not an issue for me but may be for some)

I'm also thinking it allows those who bought it ages ago on the 360 to join in (like Curio) without shelling out on a new version

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:27 
Hello Hello Hello

Yes I think coalescing the scores here makes sense for the reasons zaphod says, but of course those of us on PC will be able to see the friends leaderboards as well.

I'll drag myself away from Hearthstone/Rayman Legends for long enough to get a score in but can't promise anything amazing, plus I've got a mate over for a long weekend so that'll disappear into a haze of beers and grand challenges at the likes of Hyper Sports on my old chipped XBox running MameOX :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:30 
Excellent Member

zaphod79 wrote:
RuySan wrote:

I mainly play on Mac and i'm not sure if it uses steamworks to merge the scores or not - you would need everyone to be on your friends list on Steam (not an issue for me but may be for some)

I'm also thinking it allows those who bought it ages ago on the 360 to join in (like Curio) without shelling out on a new version

it doesn't use steamworks. It's still needed to have a farsight account, but the game automatically adds every steam friend to the friends leaderboards. I'm also almost sure that those leaderboards are cross-platform.

But yes, ToM is a great table. I'll play it later and post my score.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 18:30 
Kvnt

First go. Managed to beat the top default score, at least. :p

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 20:12 
Hello Hello Hello

Turned in over a billion on my first go but I have to say I'm fucked off with the total game wipe that happened some time ago. (The game totally reset all high scores and goals for every single fucking table. Not sure if it was a bug or intended with an update or whatever, but all my scores and goals on every table are gone.)

ToM was actually one of my better efforts, and whilst I can't remember what my score was, I know it was a good one and it'd give me something to aim for in terms of knowing what I'm capable of.

I'll see if I can conjure up the enthusiasm to get properly stuck in before the week is out but Hearthstone is winning out in the battle of the games at the moment.....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 21:30 
Excellent Member

I was hopeful that i was getting finally into the grande finale, but like always i wasted the 2 extraballs in an instant.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 16:46 
Excellent Member

So the winner gets to choose the next table?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:39 
8-Bit Champion

Steam sale on for Season 1 and Season 2 both 1/2 price (11.49 instead of £23)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:56 
Excellent Member

yay!

I was waiting for something like this to buy Season 2. Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 18:00 
8-Bit Champion

First look at The Adams Family

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 19:45 
Hello Hello Hello

I'll deffo be buying this table when it's released, nothing else thus far in Season 3 has tempted me to part with any money.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 19:55 
Bad Girl

18 seconds. Eighteen seconds. EIGHTEEN.

That's how long it took for me to turn off that video due to that guy's voice.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 15:48 
Excellent Member

That's 95% of gaming videos for you. People with annoying voices that should never had the freedom to broadcast anything.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 16:08 
Hello Hello Hello

RuySan wrote:
That's 95% of gaming videos for you. People with annoying voices that should never had the freedom to broadcast anything.

On the other hand I've found that 'fan created' or 'amateur' content or whatever you want to call it has basically replaced what you'd traditionally call 'professional' programming for me.

I'd much rather watch a Trump video or a Gaming Sack video etc etc than about 99% of the shit on telly.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 17:34 
Excellent Member

Well, i also don't need to watch shit on the telly. I can watch Better Call Saul and Game of Thrones instead.

But i really really hate this trend of youtube gaming videos, twitch and whatever. It seems everyone is too lazy to read and write nowadays. And if i'm listening to someone, i want that person to have at least a pleasing voice, it's the bare minimum.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:21 
Hello Hello Hello

Addam's Family now released, £3.99 on Steam which I guess is perfectly reasonable.

Had a quick crack at the trial version and it looks like they've done of their better jobs with it (some of the conversion work has been a bit shoddy IMO).

You wouldn't notice the replacement Christopher Lloyd artwork if you didn't know about it (his was the only likeness they couldn't license so they had to redraw his face on the glass and playfield).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 13:48 
Hello Hello Hello

DX11 beta version for PC now available, which is a massive graphical upgrade on the old DX9 version.

Despite it being a beta it's running perfectly for me, no stability issues at all and absolutely as smooth as you like. (Although looking at the bugs thread there are a few gremlins in there so do be aware of that.)

The lighting model is hugely better, and there are two sliders, one for ambient room light and one for bulb intensity. Drop the room light down to 20% (or even 0% if you prefer), leave the bulbs at 50% or go up to perhaps 60%-65%, play in a darkened room on a big monitor and ZOMG it looks absolutely fucking amazing - brings a whole new level of amazeballs to the experience. (I'd love to see it running on a big 50 inch telly, but it's luscious enough on my 27 inch monitor.)

No extra costs or anything involved, just follow the instructions in this thread - http://pinballarcadefans.com/showthread ... -Available

(I didn't need to download the beta as per those steps, Steam updated the game itself when I launched it.)

Also there's another new table to play, JACK-BOT, which is an old favourite of mine. (I've actually bought the Season Four pass now, there's enough stuff in there to justify it now.)

TBH I've always thought the graphics in this game are pretty ropey (and IIRC I've said as much earlier in this thread), but this new DX11 version well and truly fixes that.

Here's a side-by-side on the Addam's Family, although screenshots really don't do it justice, you have to see it in motion.

Loads more here - http://steamcommunity.com/app/238260/di ... ideModal=1

Attachment:
addams.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 16:40 
Excellent Member

Thanks for the heads up. Not only looks better, but it also runs better.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 16:08 
Excellent Member

I need some more friends for the leaderboards. What's your steam ID Hearthly?

Mine is RuySan. Anyone is free to add me.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 18:36 
Hello Hello Hello

I haven't got any scores worth shit on there at the moment, there was some sort of score-wipe last year (don't know if it was accidental or not) and TBH I haven't since racked up any real scores of note on any of the tables. Because Hearthstone, mainly.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 19:51 
Excellent Member

Even better. I want to be first on a list with much more people.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 20:01 
Hello Hello Hello

I'm just 'Chopley Turnip' on Steam, feel free to add me then in that case :)

I'm a member of the Steam BEEX group too so I should be in that list.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 16:19 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I think this could have been updated on the 360. It looks like the Star Trek table, the Addams family table and Terminator are available.

Not sure if this brings it up to date but it's a good start. The only problem is the prices. I figured that it would cost over £70 to get all the tables.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 16:28 
Hello Hello Hello

Problem is you're only going to get the DX9 lighting model on the 360/PS3 versions, which look really horrible compared to the new DX11 lighting model which is on the PS4/PC versions. (I assume the XBox One uses the DX11 model too.)

I launched the DX9 version of Pinball Arcade by accident a few days ago and was shocked at how shit it looks compared to the new DX11 version.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 17:07 
8-Bit Champion

The 360 has been updated and they dropped it all as basically one big update - however there are better places to play it (any newer console or PC/Mac)

Last few tables have been fairly basic but everything seems that way after The Addams Family :-)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:49 
Hello Hello Hello

zaphod79 wrote:
Last few tables have been fairly basic but everything seems that way after The Addams Family :-)

Funny you say that 'cause Red & Ted's Roadshow has just been released :) Quite a deep ruleset on this one, especially for maximum scoring.

Pat Lawlor design, he of Twilight Zone and Addam's Family fame.

Looks lovely as Britt Ekland's bottom double in The Wicker Man in DX11 mode too.

NOTE - If the game doesn't update itself in Steam, opt out of the beta and it'll queue it and then download it, doesn't affect your ability to play the game in DX11 (beta) mode.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:49 
Excellent Member

DX11 mode makes many tables flippers tips to be out of the frame in every single camera. There should be a custom camera in this game..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:24 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:12 
Hello Hello Hello

THE GETAWAY : HIGH SPEED 2 is the latest table to launch which is super because it's a fantastic table.

Unfortunately it's also the first table in Season 5 so I've had to shell out £29.99 for the Pro version of the season. The table is available on its own for £3.99.

Non-Pro version of the season is £22.99 but I like the Pro extras such as being able to go into the Operator's Menus.

Reply to topic  [ 820 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next