Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 820 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Pinball Arcade
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:06 
Sleepyhead

How much would the table cost for them to license?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 17:09 
Hello Hello Hello

Indeed, it would be interesting if they could give an idea of how much they need to raise, how much they'd expect to get from selling the table as DLC, what the difference is etc.

TZ is arguably the single finest table ever, so it'd be nice if they could pull it off.

Then again, you do worry about what happens when the XBLA servers disappear, your 360 dies, and there's no way to freshly download the game + DLC, unless MS do some sort of clever trickery with the next XBox in terms of backwards compatibility and maintaining the 360 back-catalogue for download (LOL).

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:09 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Their latest update :

https://www.facebook.com/pinballarcade/ ... 5202415879 (posted yesterday)

Quote:
Quick console update: The first 360 update will include both DLC packs. The PS3/Vita updates may include both DLC packs. They'll certainly include MM and Bride. All console updates are at least 3 weeks away from being released.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:41 
Hello Hello Hello

They need to do less Facebooking and more releassing!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 23:35 
8-Bit Champion

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
They need to do less Facebooking and more releassing!

Agreed although at least they are trying to communicate.

In other news about 30 miles away from me :

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
ImageImage

Sitting next to these

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

And given that level of commitment in an arcade you'd think they would actually look after them ? , no not really

Theater doesnt spot when you've lost your ball every time so i ended up tiliting it a few times to get the sensor to spot it (after the first time and i waited it out and the 2nd when i went to the change desk and was told "it'll fix itself) and the left flipper is not really strong enough to hit it up the far right ramp - and the box itself is a bit of a mess - however the table works and i'll still play it

Twilight Zone's left flipper sometimes 'sticks' (pressing it again releases it) and all the tables actual playfields are pretty dirty on all of these but they are working

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 23:56 
Hello Hello Hello

Argh!

The state of the playfield on TZ alone is enough to make me weep. (There are special polishes and cleansers you can buy to keep them lovely and clean and shiny, and to also protect the surface, a bit like waxing a car.)

Pinballs take an investment of time and money to keep them working properly (as per my TL:DR post a couple of pages back in this thread :D), fair play to this place for having them up and running, but a real shame they won't take the time out to maintain them :(

Where is that arcade zaphod?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:44 
Sleepyhead

I'm up to second on the ToM leaderboard. Should be top, but I completely messed up the final two balls and barely scored anything on them.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:46 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
I'm up to second on the ToM leaderboard. Should be top, but I completely messed up the final two balls and barely scored anything on them.

I thought I was doing well to top 3 billion the other day, but then when I saw the leaderboard I realised that everyone had been getting better at a faster rate than me :(

Got to the Grand Finale and totally fucked it up, THE PINBALL FEAR properly took over and I couldn't hit a damn thing.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:48 
Sleepyhead

Heh. I nailed it in about ten seconds. I was in The Zone.

Unfortunately, as I realised I was approaching the top of the leaderboard, I lost it completely. Not helped by a truly spectacular triple outlane disaster where I lost all three balls simultaneously during multiball.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:54 
Numbskull

Finally completed the Grand Finale on Theatre of Magic, so that’s all the wizard goals on that table done. Didn’t beat my score, but I'm still ahead of Curiosity, so that’s ok… ;)

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:59 
Sleepyhead

MrC wrote:
Finally completed the Grand Finale on Theatre of Magic, so that’s all the wizard goals on that table done. Didn’t beat my score, but I'm still ahead of Curiosity, so that’s ok… ;)

How the bloody hell do you get the 100m multiball jackpot? I know you have to hit the trunk first time with the first ball that comes out, but I can't even get it close. Always hit the wrap-around ramps. Argh!

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:07 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
Heh. I nailed it in about ten seconds. I was in The Zone.

It's nice when that happens, I find it happens far more on real tables than on computer simulations though.

I used to have some truly epic sessions on my TZ, because we didn't have any neighbours I had the volume cranked up as far as the speakers would go without distorting, (that era of Williams/Bally tables actually had a surprisingly capable subwoofer in the bottom of the main cabinet), and I would play it in pitch darkness at night time, so the that all the flashers and strobe effects looked beyond awesome.

When I got into 'the zone' playing that table it was like being transported to another dimension.

For some curious reason I never quite got 'zoned' as much when playing ST:TNG, TZ just 'felt' better somehow, plus it had spectacularly awesome music and sound effects.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:10 
Numbskull

Curiosity wrote:
MrC wrote:

How the bloody hell do you get the 100m multiball jackpot? I know you have to hit the trunk first time with the first ball that comes out, but I can't even get it close. Always hit the wrap-around ramps. Argh!

When you're in multiball every rampshot on the right staircase ups the jackpot by ten million, so you'll have 100 million in no time. Then collect the jackpot in the trunk as usual. Job done.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:46 
Sleepyhead

MrC wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
MrC wrote:

When you're in multiball every rampshot on the right staircase ups the jackpot by ten million, so you'll have 100 million in no time. Then collect the jackpot in the trunk as usual. Job done.

Oh, I have done that before, but it didn't unlock.

:(

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:55 
Numbskull

Curiosity wrote:
MrC wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
MrC wrote:

Oh, I have done that before, but it didn't unlock.

:(

Um, then I'm clueless, seemed to work for me. I think Zaphod said something in an earlier post about the Williams Collection sometimes not unlocking things when you'd definitely achieved the goal. Maybe the same thing is going on here?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 13:16 
8-Bit Champion

Hayling Island

(this is an old post on another forum but shows they have been doing this for a while http://www.pinballnews.com/sites/hayling/index.html )

And this post from last year to show the other cabinets they have http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_ ... -of-havant

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 13:37 
Hello Hello Hello

zaphod79 wrote:

Hayling Island

(this is an old post on another forum but shows they have been doing this for a while http://www.pinballnews.com/sites/hayling/index.html )

Bloody hell the UK site reports on that site are horrible! (Well, the site reports themselves are excellent, but the state of all the pinballs! Heartbreaking!)

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 13:58 
8-Bit Champion

Bloody hell the UK site reports on that site are horrible! (Well, the site reports themselves are excellent, but the state of all the pinballs! Heartbreaking!)

The links are not 'new' - so for example the UK section lists a number of pinballs (in very bad condition) in Southsea - however I was there a few weeks ago and there were none (their link is from 2005) - even in dirty conditions the games can still play well (although very dirty and missing some cosmetic touches Adams family played well , and despite occasionally sticky flipper and dirty playfield so did Twilight Zone).

I however cant see the point of having 6 classic tables there with with a few hundred quids worth of work would be worth about £20,000 and leaving them in such a poor state (there was also a Johnny Mnemonic in another section of the funfair)

If you'd like to see some nice tables go to this link http://www.pinballparadise.co.uk/pinbal ... r-sale.htm and click on any of their for sale tables - thats the way i'd *like* to find a pinball table

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:38 
Numbskull

@ Curiosity

Looks like I was wrong about the 100 million multiball jackpot goal on ToM. Apparently there is a 5 or 6 second countdown after the first ball is ejected, plus it also has to be the first shot you make. I must have got it by dumb luck. Someone wrote that your best chance is to let the first ball out bounce off your right flipper and take the shot with the left. Worth a try at least.

Edit...wrong again - I'm pretty sure I just got the 100m jackpot again. It wasn't with the first shot but was definitely within the 6 second time limit.

Also, I upped the highscore to a smidge under 8 billion......should keep you busy for a few days. Mwhaha etc...

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:25 
8-Bit Champion

Funhouse and Cirqus Voltaire are on iOS now - £1.99 each or £2.99 for both tables and Cirqus Voltaire is the 'free' table for the month.

I assume there are minor updates for most of the other tables as when i downloaded the update I had to re-download all the other tables (or this might just be the way the updates work on iOS)

**edit ** from their facebook page

Quote:
We are very happy to announce the release of the second table pack on iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch! This pack includes the fantastic tables Cirqus Voltaire and Funhouse, as well as a fourth gameplay camera and multiple plunger cameras for all tables. There are also fixes for Troll Bombs and Super Skill Shot on Medieval Madness.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:16 
Sleepyhead

Gah! Nearly broke my record on Arabian Nights last night. Monumental second ball, but messed up my last two.

Am I correct in saying you get a max of two extra balls per 'ball'? As in you can't just keep racking them up? Coz I got about four off Ball 2, but only two counted. It's a bit annoying, as I would prefer it just not award them and wait until I'm on Ball 3. Cost me an extra go, so it did.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 13:36 
8-Bit Champion

Curiosity wrote:
Am I correct in saying you get a max of two extra balls per 'ball'? As in you can't just keep racking them up? Coz I got about four off Ball 2, but only two counted. It's a bit annoying

Yes , its mentioned in the instructions on some tables but not all of them - you can only have a maximum of 2 extra balls in any of the tables (i've earned 3 on ToM before and only got 2 and that was really annoying - extra ball from the clock / extra ball for score / extra ball for 'special' from the basement)

I think the table it explains it specifically is Black Hole (after knocking down 2 sets of targets and returning from the lower table there is an extra ball roller you can pass over near the top so its easy to gather spare balls on that table).

On Arabian Nights I've now managed to save the princess but i still have not got Harem ;-(

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 13:38 
Sleepyhead

Ditto. Harem is hard as very rarely does a shot in that ramp count.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 13:47 
8-Bit Champion

Curiosity wrote:

I'm getting close to The Grand Finale thingy on ToM but the one i think i'll struggle with on there is the Digital Pinball one , i've only had it once from the basement despite probably hitting the feature 50 times.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 15:04 
Sleepyhead

zaphod79 wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

I'm getting close to The Grand Finale thingy on ToM but the one i think i'll struggle with on there is the Digital Pinball one , i've only had it once from the basement despite probably hitting the feature 50 times.

Hold down LB when you start te game. Means you always get it first

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 18:34 
EvilTrousers

I got the wizard goals on Arabian Nights last night - Harem was an absolute fucker compared to rescuing the princess which basically involves keeping the ball alive for a bit then spamming the multiball for all of about 10 seconds.

Still fucking miles behind MrC on the leaderboard for it like.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 22:16 
8-Bit Champion

They have gone ahead with the kickstarter for Twilight Zone

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/106 ... light-zone

They want $55,000

Pledging $10 will get you the game on anything but Xbox and their estimated delivery for this is November.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 22:20 

Not for the 360 though. :'(

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 22:23 
Hello Hello Hello

WTF? Why not on the 360?

I'd lob some cash at them myself but the 360 would be my preferred platform....

(Prepares to decamp to upcoming PC version if TZ gets funded.....)

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 22:35 
Hello Hello Hello

Meh I pledged $10 anyway, for the best pinball table ever made, I can always just run the PC or Android version.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:37 
8-Bit Champion

WTF? Why not on the 360?

Microsoft wont (or dont have the mechanism) for them to give it away on that platform

Quote:
Get the Twilight Zone pinball table on a single platform of your choice (except for the Xbox 360- Microsoft won’t let us!) plus the satisfaction of knowing you helped make the preservation of this table possible.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:43 
Hello Hello Hello

zaphod79 wrote:
WTF? Why not on the 360?

Microsoft wont (or dont have the mechanism) for them to give it away on that platform

Quote:
Get the Twilight Zone pinball table on a single platform of your choice (except for the Xbox 360- Microsoft won’t let us!) plus the satisfaction of knowing you helped make the preservation of this table possible.

Yes I read that zaphod, I just don't understand what it means, what makes the 360 unique?

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 21:19 
Hello Hello Hello

zaphod79 wrote:
They have gone ahead with the kickstarter for Twilight Zone

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/106 ... light-zone

They want $55,000

They're up to $16,000 already, 28 days to go!

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 21:33 

So... When they say 'except 360' does that just mean we'll have to buy it on 360 rather than get it given for donating? Or is it not coming to 360 at all? I'd be perfectly happy with the former. Just realised I assumed the latter without really investigating.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 21:41 
Hello Hello Hello

WTB wrote:
So... When they say 'except 360' does that just mean we'll have to buy it on 360 rather than get it given for donating? Or is it not coming to 360 at all? I'd be perfectly happy with the former. Just realised I assumed the latter without really investigating.

Yeah I know, it's an ambiguous message :shrug:

If we still have to buy it on the 360 then TBH I don't mind that, it'd just be mega-super-hyper-awesome to have TZ recreated in the Pinball Arcade.

But if it's no 360 version at all, then I really need to look at a different platform.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 23:31 
Sleepyhead

For me, it means it will be on 360, but not as a give away from the Kickstarter.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 23:33 

I accept this interpretation and am happy. If I hear anything different in future, it's all YOUR fault, Curio.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 23:36 
Sleepyhead

WTB wrote:
I accept this interpretation and am happy. If I hear anything different in future, it's all YOUR fault, Curio.

I shall accept such blame.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 23:42 

*gives Curio a single nod of acknowledgment*

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 23:44 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I was thinking that they meant that the setup of Live meant that there was no mechanism for giving it away free to those who donated. But I thought there were DLC voucher schemes - so you could send everyone who donated a free code to download it, even though it would be priced as 'not-free' to anyone else?

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 23:52 
Hello Hello Hello

WTB wrote:

I concur.

Also the blame bit, and the subsequent sinister nod.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 0:37 
Paws for thought

They make it clear:

We will definitely release the table on the 360- we just can't give it to anyone as a reward for being a backer. The codes that Microsoft issues us only work for purchasing the main game, not for downloadable content.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 0:43 

Ah, fucking sweet! I'll be donating come pay day.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 0:57 
Hello Hello Hello

I believe this is justified.

Attachment:
Bill and Ted.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:43 
Hello Hello Hello

Oooohh I really hope they make it.

(I'm limiting myself to my original $10 pledge for now though, there's a recession on and boxes of Namaqua don't buy themselves.)

Attachment:
cap.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:37 
Hello Hello Hello

The TZ kickstarter is up to $26,000 now, although I suppose the rate of gain will slow down as the month goes on.

Still a reasonable chance they'll make it though I reckon!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:20 
Hello Hello Hello

Got an email from the Kickstarter, apparently they've bought their own TZ table despite the fact they haven't reached the target yet (still $15,000 to go), so I'd say that's a pretty good dead cert for them going ahead, surely?

Seems to be putting the cart before the horse a bit.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:29 
8-Bit Champion

Got an email from the Kickstarter, apparently they've bought their own TZ table despite the fact they haven't reached the target yet (still $15,000 to go), so I'd say that's a pretty good dead cert for them going ahead, surely?

Seems to be putting the cart before the horse a bit.

Although there were very few donations over the weekend they do seem to be on track for things (and Kickstarters often get a large bump in the last few days)

This site

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/106736 ... light-zone

Tracks where they are and 'projects' they will make it by quite a long way

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 14:59 
8-Bit Champion

83% of target but an announcement today I think may well push them up to the top

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/106 ... sts/237312

Quote:
We've got some great news- we've worked out with Microsoft a way to award the Xbox 360 version of the Twilight Zone table as a reward to our backers! You'll need to already own the Xbox 360 version of the Pinball Arcade to have access to the table on the 360. If you've pledged at the $10 level we'll contact you as the ship date approaches asking you which platform you'd like the table on (including the 360). If you've pledged at the $100 level you'll get the table on every platform (including the 360) as well as the access to the Table Operator's Menu on every platform (including the 360)! Kickstarter doesn't allow us to edit the text of the rewards, so unfortunately the language about the 360 version not being available as a reward will remain (but we'll post a clarifying FAQ).

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 17:53 
Kvnt

Shouldn't Bride of Pinbot be out soon? It's been about three weeks, no?

Reply to topic  [ 820 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next