Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
 Post subject: Re: Next Generation (TM) - speculation, hype and whinging thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 19:40 
Bad Girl

That reminds me, you get 30 days free PS+ with God of War 3. I'm just waiting for something on there I can smash through in that time. For instance, The Cave is free although I'm holding out for something else. No idea what though...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 20:17 
Hello Hello Hello

$500 for the new XBox?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... ts-suggest

Given the way dollars usually equate to pounds, that's an.... interesting proposition.

Unless Microsoft are just doing a really intricate double-bluff of course, and we're going to be blown away when the real reveal finally comes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 23:50 
SavyGamer

It really is too soon to make any judgements about the next Xbox for sure. There's bound to be a lot of misinformation and speculation mixed in with legitimate leaks or whatever at this point.

Sony are saying a lot of the right things, but they've not got any specific games that I'm massively excited about announced just yet (although I do quite like Infamous), maybe MS will come up with a killer lineup for launch titles, or a few awesome features that get me on board.

Since I primarily game on PC these days, Sony's indie friendly stuff is really nice to see, but I'd still prefer to play the majority of those games on PC anyway (and will pay less for them). Obviously the always online stuff is setting off a lot of alarm bells, but maybe that will turn out to be nonsense, and maybe MS will absolutely nail the next xbox.

I do think that Sony's wider corporate strategy is more conducive to an exciting games console than Microsoft's at this point.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:35 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
That reminds me, you get 30 days free PS+ with God of War 3. I'm just waiting for something on there I can smash through in that time. For instance, The Cave is free although I'm holding out for something else. No idea what though...

Okami HD is one of the games at the moment if you've not played it before.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:18 
Bad Girl

markh wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

Okami HD is one of the games at the moment if you've not played it before.

I saw that but I'd clocked it on the Wii. Lovely game though (when it gets going).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:42 
Excellent Member

I tried it on the wii and it was too boring and unexciting. Maybe it gets going, but after how many hours? five?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:50 
Bad Girl

Ten+ actually.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:51 
Excellent Member

I similarly gave up on Wii Okami after a few hours but that was mostly the goddamned motherfucking waggly-ass bullshit motion controls.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 20:43 
Bad Girl

I didn't think the controls were that bad. Not enough to give up anyway (I absolutely hate leaving games unfinished in any event).

It was a typical Zelda-game with the same laborious pacing but turned out good in the end. Actually, right up until the near end when you learnt that you were an alien or some shit and had crash landed in your spaceship. :S

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:56 

Thanks for spoiling the end of Okami for me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:11 
Bad Girl

Don't worry, assuming that you're playing it, as that description is nothing like the actual ending.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 13:54 
Ready for action

About this new Xbox and the rumours...am I right in thinking that if the rumours are true and I had a new Xbox, my girlfriend wouldn't be able to play a game we'd bought because it would be tied to my account?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 13:56 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

That's sort of what the rumours are saying but they are only rumours at the moment. I wouldn't worry about it until we've seen some cold, hard facts.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 13:59 
ugvm'er at heart...

More importantly, does your fiancee know about this girlfriend?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 14:09 
Sleepyhead

Trooper wrote:

:DD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 15:57 

There are even rumours, due to patents filed by Microsoft, that it could use Kinect to detect the number of people in the room and require every one to have a valid Xbox subscription.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 16:03 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Now this is just getting silly....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 16:30 
Ready for action

Trooper wrote:

:DD

Of course not.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 15:55 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Todays batch of new rumors

http://www.vgleaks.com/microsoft-xbox-roadmap-2013/

Quote:
Microsoft Xbox Roadmap (2013) (Updated: Xbox Mini)

Update: We are going to update our previous information. We would like to clarify the Xbox Mini function for avoiding any misunderstood about the new machine (below).

Microsoft is working hard in its new strategy for the next years. The company wants to expand its Xbox brand with two new Xbox. One would be next-gen, the other one would be a new redesign for Xbox 360. Take in mind the Wii Mini, MS would like to offer something similar to Nintendo. This cheap model would be focused as a set top box product, although you will be able to load games too, but the games should be load directly from the HDD. This Xbox wouldn’t have disc drive.

We have received new information about the latest Xbox Roadmap. Our source unveils new details for Durango, Xbox mini and the Microsoft strategy; moreover we don’t forget Kinect 2.0.

Xbox Mini

The “Xbox Mini” is not a 360 add-on, it is a stand alone product that contains Xbox 360 functions for gaming, and alone it is meant to compete with Apple TV. Since it is likely it will not have a disc drive, it is being designed with “always online” in mind, and with internet being required for Live functions. Xbox 360 Games can be played on it by purchasing Games on Demand on Xbox Live (for new purchases) or if already purchased, simply download it. This also applies to music and movies. To further clarify, the Durango will also have these (TV) functions, just with next-genration gaming hardware instead of Xbox 360 at a higher price.

When used with Durango, it offers connectivity with it for backwards compatibility with both disc based and On Demand games, and it’s no more different than what Sony will be doing with Gaikai for playing PS3 games on PS4, only with Xbox it will be done locally and not through the cloud. You can control the Xbox Mini under a single interface and not have to worry about switching between devices in a single display input.

These connectivity functions cannot work with existing Xbox 360 units due to the difference in external interface. The Xbox Mini was designed for this along side Durango.

Microsoft expands its Xbox brand

Getting to the point there are going to be two console as part of the redesigned “Xbox Line” of products. A repackaged and reoriented Xbox 360 unit and the new “Durango” gaming console, both designed to compete with more than Sony in gaming, but against Apple as well.

When the Durango (game machine) launches, it will not support backwards compatibility for 360 games out of the box. Instead, this functionality will come from the other unit that will be networked with the Durango to provide this (not unlike the DVD add-on for the original Xbox).

The purpose of the smaller Xbox unit is to compete with Apple TV, but also provides XBLA and 360 game support which will give it an edge over Apple TV. The rumors of “always online required” comes from the smaller Xbox unit which may not have a disc drive and like Apple TV it would require a network connection and internet to provide any real functionality. It may be possible they will design both consoles to be stackable.

Durango itself will also always be online like any other device (correct with rumors), but it will not be a requirement to play local content and it will not prevent playing used games. Putting in an Xbox 360 disc into Durango will prompt the user to attach the supporting device that is sold separately. By separating the two devices and their functions it will ensure price competitiveness for both pieces of hardware. Microsoft’s delay in announcing these products from April goes more inline with not having a physical set of devices to show (among specification updates), which should be ready by May or June when this information is officially released.

The price goal of the smaller Xbox is $149 or lower and it is likely to not have a disc drive and would require a network connection. Durango will be priced competitively according to PS4′s price.

Kinect 2.0

A different department within Xbox handles Kinect hardware and software. The focus was more on developing and networking both consoles with Kinect more of an after thought at that point, considering dealing with it would be less of an issue even with hardware changes to the main console hardware. Kinect isn’t the primary focus.

The development kits required several pieces of hardware as to combine all “potential” hardware which may or may not be required to work with each other, which also includes the potential for any or all devices to required a network connection, which is where most of the “required” rumors are coming from.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 15:57 
8-Bit Champion

Oh and from that 'always on' twitter mess

https://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/arc ... signs.aspx

Quote:
Following Twitter Tirade, Microsoft Creative Director Adam Orth No Longer With Microsoft

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 15:58 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I saw that coming a mile off. Poor bloke.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 16:22 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Well that description is confusing as hell. The mini is a set-top box that also plays Games on Demand games, whereas durango is the full console although it won't have any backwards compatibility unless you also have the mini. And if you have a durango, presumably the backwards compatibility is the only feature of the mini you'd need, because all the STB features will be in durango anyway.

That seems too weird to be accurate.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 16:30 
8-Bit Champion

Cras wrote:
That seems too weird to be accurate.

Right now I would bet that there are some grains of truth in the whole thing and lots of total lies mixed in.

The latest 'announcement' date is being given as mid May (21st?) so we've probably got about another 6 weeks of this type of speculation before someone at Xbox.com accidentally presses the wrong button and makes it all live on the site the day before the conference :-)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 16:53 
8-Bit Champion

Really odd way of handling things by Square E but

http://kotaku.com/on-steam-square-enix- ... -472619157

and this thread on Neogaf http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=539037

The basics are that when Tomb Raider came out on the PC it included Japanese language support (possibly by mistake) , so Square have released a patch which removes it , and now that is available as DLC for the game if you'd like to buy it then its $30

Where this fits in with the 'always on' Next Gen stuff is if you buy something the makers can come in and mess around with it / change it and you dont have any options - your stuck because your system needs to be 'online' , so will get the update , and you'll lose what they dont want you to have.

There are a number of 'broken' things like that in the past but because of the way things work they still exist - digitally I have Midway games on my Xbox which can no longer be purchased (or things like Outrun which has also vanished) - early versions of Shinobi had Spider Man and other characters which were later removed due to legal threats (same for the Michael Jackson Zombie in Plants Vs Zombies)

In the 'always online' future - you can buy a game - and then lose bits of it because someone else has decided that your not suppose to have it or your going to get forced over to a new version which does what they want

FYI i'm sure :attitude: had a rant about an iOS title that basically after buying it - the next upgrade added adverts and other stuff so he's just kept the 'un-upgraded' one

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 16:57 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

He did have a rant about that and I think it was a Skee ball game? Or something?

Anyway, yes.. this is a problem. I have something similar with my Windows Phone. I've got Doodlejump on there but when I go online into my account history, the normal "download again" link has been replaced with a "This game is no longer available" line.

No explanation.. It's just vanished. I paid for that game so what happens if I lose it off my phone and want to play it again?

Post subject: Next Generation (TM) - speculation, hype and whinging thread
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 21:43 
8-Bit Champion

Oh yeah - and mr always online - Xbox live is down at the moment and from what I can see has been offline about an hour - I'm playing zombies on black ops 2 solo - good job my console doesn't need the Xbox network to be up to work isn't it !

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2013/04 ... e-problem/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 23:41 
8-Bit Champion

One more for the 'always on'

Their page lists that they are having intermittent problems

Good job the console works without being able to call home then isnt it ?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 19:16 
SavyGamer

New Xbox is being announced on the 21st of May. Livestream at 5pm UK time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 20:28 
Decapodian

LewieP wrote:
New Xbox is being announced on the 21st of May. Livestream at 5pm UK time.

Excellent. Thanks for the heads up.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 22:31 
8-Bit Champion

Major Nelsons post about it

http://majornelson.com/2013/04/24/xboxreveal/

Quote:
April 24th 2013 10:01 am PT
#XboxReveal

On Tuesday May 21st, we’ll mark the beginning of a new generation of games, TV and entertainment. On that day, we’ll be holding a special press event on the Xbox campus and we invite you to join us via the live global stream that will be available on Xbox.com, Xbox LIVE and broadcast on Spike TV if you are in the US or Canada.

On that day, we’ll share our vision for Xbox, and give you a real taste of the future. Then, 19-days later at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles, we’ll continue the conversation and showcase our full lineup of blockbuster games.

We are thrilled to pull back the curtain and reveal what we’ve been working on.

A New Generation Revealed
Xbox Campus, Redmond WA
Tuesday, May 21st @ 1p ET/10a PT/17:00 GMT

*BIG* black box in the middle of the Xbox dashboard now with 'xbox event' on it so I expect to be spammed about it constantly until then

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:55 
Sleepyhead

I would love it if they announced an 'always connected' console, but the popularity of the event causes Live to crash and all the video streaming of it to run unacceptably slowly.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:16 
SavyGamer

Sony want to get the PS4 out before March 2014.

That's probably not internationally, though.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 13:20 

Hoping it gets released in Europe this year.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:11 
8-Bit Champion

8 hours till the Microsoft event

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22556805

Quote:
Xbox revealed: Experts on Microsoft's next games console

Live stream here : http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news ... event.html

And on the Xbox itself and probably in lots of other places

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:16 
Excellent Member

I honestly couldn't be less interested. It's weird, but i see a much higher possibility of buying a wii u or a PS4 somewhere down the line than the new xbox.

The only enticing thing about xbox was indie gaming but the pc has caught it already. It always seems to me that microsoft doesn't understand and respect gaming and gamers enough.

Reply to topic  [ 1135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23