Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ] 
 Post subject: Rage
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 15:11 
Excellent Member

Anyone got this yet?

Has anyone seen it available on a good deal?

Post subject: Re: Rage
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 15:33 

Nope on both counts. I like the look of it, though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 15:35 
INFINITE POWAH

Ditto.

However, I've read some things about it and it sounds like it might not be as good as it looks - it's not really that "open world" as one would hope - e.g. vehicle trips to missions are about 30 seconds long.

Dunno - will wait and see what beex thinks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 15:46 

It seems to be getting solid enough reviews:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/rage

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 15:48 

Also has anyone else noticed the really quite odd product placement for it in the current series of Breaking Bad? Jesse has been playing the 360 version for months.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 15:49 
Gogmagog

markg wrote:
Also has anyone else noticed the really quite odd product placement for it in the current series of Breaking Bad? Jesse has been playing the 360 version for months.

They also put new products in old screening of TV now. If that makes sense. Kinda like seeing an advert for an iPad on Blade Runner.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 15:49 

markg wrote:
Yes -- and for Jesse, it's a lightgun game!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 15:54 

Very likely a Steam purchase for me on Friday, particularly as Dead Island is starting to bore me to tears already.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 16:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I'm not convinced by this (the PC this, at least). It looks fun, sure, but all I can see are people on Steam restarting the game over and over, which suggests 'issues'.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 16:41 
Comfortably Dumb

Either the TV ads for this are poor or it looks completely uninspired. They certainly didn't make me want to investigate the game further.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 16:42 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:
I'm not convinced by this (the PC this, at least). It looks fun, sure, but all I can see are people on Steam restarting the game over and over, which suggests 'issues'.

It's probably better on the 360.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 16:45 
Excellent Member

Reviews suggest its a cross between fallout and borderlands. Which sounds aces, I hope the walks and drives are short as mentioned coz the endless plods ruined fallout for me.

I think its on 3 discs too so must be huge!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 16:54 
Hibernating Druid

The plods where awesome in Fallout, not many games gave me the same sense of open wilderness.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 16:59 
INFINITE POWAH

Zardoz wrote:
The plods where awesome in Fallout, not many games gave me the same sense of open wilderness.

:this:

The only thing FO was missing was vehicles.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 19:24 
Gogmagog

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

:this:

The only thing FO was missing was vehicles.

No. It didn't need vehicles.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 20:16 
INFINITE POWAH

Yes it did.
Next.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 20:58 

It's Borderlands/Fallout in style/theme/setting, but if you're expecting similar gameplay you'll be disappointed. It's an id corridor shooter with some driving sections by all accounts. Bit disappointed it turned out like that to be honest - think I'll be giving it a miss. It's getting solid reviews, but a lot of the games around it are getting even better reviews.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 21:06 
Bad Girl

Comparisions to Fallout do nothing for me. It'll probably be more like Dead Island from the sound of it: drive somewhere for item, fight to item, drive back with item and collect prize. Rinse and repeat without so many bugs.

ID's console output of late has been piss poor and I've not been interested in something they've done since, um, the first Quake. Compare Doom 3 to, say, Dead Space. Compare Quake 4 to, um, anything really. ID might be superbrilliantacebest at technology or some shits but they haven't made an interesting game worth playing in years.

Colour me not interested. Turd brown perhaps.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 23:23 
Time Out for Fun

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
markg wrote:
Yes -- and for Jesse, it's a lightgun game!

Wasn't Jesse also playing that Sonic Kinect game with a pad?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 23:32 
Excellent Member

Tangent achieved. Who's played the f-ing game?!?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 0:04 
Bad Girl

It's not out till tomorrow (at least on console) so why would anyone? ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 0:14 

WTB wrote:
think I'll be giving it a miss. It's getting solid reviews, but a lot of the games around it are getting even better reviews.
Same here. A game has to be outstanding to get my attention at this time of year -- I hadn't finished Deus Ex, have barely started Gears 3, and Skyrim and Uncharted are just weeks away.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:10 

Damn! Uncharted! This is a terrible time to be skint as chuff. :(

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:44 
Excellent Member

Ian Fairies wrote:
It's not out till tomorrow (at least on console) so why would anyone? ;)

because pre-orders do have a tendency to turn up a day or two early?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:10 

It's downloading on my PC as we speak - hopefully we'll be ready to rock & roll come lunchtime as I wouldn't mind a quick go. It looks good to me.

Also, id didn't make Quake 4.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 14:58 

Played it for 20 mins in my lunch break. It is very pretty, but the graphics engine is a wee bit odd on PC (I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 280). You can set your resolution and anti-aliasing, but the game itself does the rest automagically in order to keep your frame rate silky smooth. It does a damn good job, but there's lots of peculiar pop-up happening. It does moan that my driver is out of date when it boots, but I have the latest non-beta driver issued by Nvidia! Also, it has a moment at the start that's a bit like emerging from Vault 101 in Fallout 3 that made my eyes want to pop out of my sockets, and not in a good way. Something weird about the way it displayed made me feel a bit ill.

As for the game: the drive-y bits seem a good laugh and the shooty is pleasingly visceral, in a way that the people that made Doom & Quake excel at. I think it's going to be a lot of fun.

Once I get a new graphics driver.

Yeah, I know... buy a 360.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 15:55 
Ready for action

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
WTB wrote:
think I'll be giving it a miss. It's getting solid reviews, but a lot of the games around it are getting even better reviews.
Same here. A game has to be outstanding to get my attention at this time of year -- I hadn't finished Deus Ex, have barely started Gears 3, and Skyrim and Uncharted are just weeks away.

Uncharted is the one game that tempts me back to ps3. I have only played the first one but i loved it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 18:32 
SavyGamer

I've got this on PC, nearly downloaded now.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 22:01 

Just picked this up in Tesco while we were out shopping. It's £25 if you spend more than £30 on other stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 22:10 
Excellent Member

Played a few hours this morning, its decent, nothing special, will keep me going for a week or so til something else comes along, prolly arkham City.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:30 
Excellent Member

Grown to like this rather a lot now, played for hours and I am on disc 2.

The weapons are great, wingsticks and as usual RC bomb cars are good fun.

Very borderlands-ish but without all the weapons having point values

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 23:10 
Bad Girl

I haz dis.

Boy is it pretty.

Boy are the loading times tedious.

Boy does it repeat sections and pass them off as new missions.

Boy are the races boring.

Boy is the shooting boring after a while.

Boy I'm sick of driving from A to B to A to C to A to B to A.

Boy do I wish I was playing Dark Souls...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 23:45 
Bad Girl

Hang on, I've entered dead city and it's looking interesting again. I can't tell you how lovely it looks on the PS3. Resistence 3 still pisses all over it though... I was going to say 'despite being linear', but it's better for it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:59 

I thought the graphics were great, the controls imprecise and unwieldy, the baddies too athletic and the ammo supplies too disingenuous for a corridor shooter. I'm sure there's a deep seam of gameplay in there ready to be mined but I don't want to based on the demo, particularly as we're back in Borderlands again. It really is just borderlands, setting wise. Yorn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:38 

It looks great on the Xbox 360 as well, with a 60 fps frame rate that you won't quite believe until you see it. When I (finally) got into fights, though, I got the definite impression that this game was not designed for game pads. So I'll hold out until I get round to it on the PC.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 23:37 
Bad Girl

It's got shit again. Repeating sections with different enemies. This time they're the guys from FEAR who talk through comms that are so loud that everyone can hear them.

Plus ID haven't got a fucking clue how to do assault rifles have they?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 20:16 
Bad Girl

This assault rifles sounds like someone trying to disguise the noise of their squits from a queue waiting outside the door.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:11 
UltraMod

You shouldn't moan about Rage. This is the thread where people gush verily about the game Rage.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:39 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Bought rage, played main quest line, sold rage. It was cool but I wouldn't want to play it again. Needed to be a little more in depth, upgrades needed to be more meaningful. Did enjoy it however.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 17:32 
and!

Haven't played this, despite the Fallout/Borderlands comparisons because from what I've heard I smell the tedious mucking about of Far Cry 2.

The demo is on my Xbox, though so it is enturely my own fault.

Comedy podcast, films and that - http://www.wenton.co.uk - Now with Hammer horror special

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 17:45 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

The only Fallout/Borderlands comparison I would make is the setting.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 19:15 
Bad Girl

The thing I like most about it at the moment are the mutants. They run, dodge, weave, clamber up the walls, cling to the roofs and swing across pipes. They're awesome.

But not fearsome.

In pairs and threes they fall quickly to a shotgun slug to the face. The "ouff" of being hit failing to convey the impact of a blow. Tens of them fall quickly without breaking into a sweat.

But I don't blame the mutants. They're doing they're best and doing it well, it's the fault of the combat; of the customisable weapons. There's no weight. No boom. No cranium crunching splinter of skull and brains. The combat feels wooly, lightweight and tame.

Rocket launchers splutter into action, armour piecing bullets zap instead of smash, fists slap rather than crunch. It's disappointing because ID made weapons cool. They brought a chainsaw to a knife fight. So why is Rage so, so... tame?

It's old school sensibilities are worn on its sleeve and everything that isn't a mutant can take several shots to the face and keep coming. Guys with tin hats can withstand much of what you have in your armoury and buckets of dispensed ammo is left on the floor following a firefight with 'some guys' and you wish thd mutants were back to trouble you.

The environments are lush. The graphics awesome. The sun blisters the land and eeks its way into cracks and broken windows. Incidental details are everywhere: boxes, bottles, litter, broken glass to broken floors of a building.

So you smack a box with the butt of your shotgun. And nothing.

Nothing is more destructible than it already is and everything is rooted to the spot. Cans stand steadfast from the pop of your handgun to the full barrage of a stream of missiles from the rocket launcher. It's picturesque but not interactive. It's like walking around a painting.

What else? Check points spaced a fair distance apart. Lengthy loading times. Checkpoints that start not at the start of the area you were but at the door that leads you to the area you were; meaning a restart begins with 'death, lengthy load of other area, spawn at door, press x, lengthy load of where you died'. The defibrillator bit is tedious too where you play an easy mini game to continue. It's just odd and annoyingly breaks the fiction too. Lord knows what they were thinking and why it's included.

Oh I don't know, it's alright but not great. Far from it. When I've clocked the main story I don't think I'll be seeing it again.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:56 

It's only average at best, I think ID must have just been asleep when developing this game & failed to look at what was being developed around them. It looks pretty but that is all, I got RAGE with it but still continued to complete.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 0:27 
Bad Girl

And. I've. Finished? Erm... Only two hubs then? I've rattled through the main quest arc in what turned out to be rapido time.

But where was the fucking story?

I swear the final hub had no more than 5 quests. Let's think: blow up the tube for no reason - done. Reroute the power for the tattoo headed guy - done. Get the disc drive thing for no reason - done. Very short blow up the bridge thing for no reason - done. Then the upload the data mission to end the game abruptly. Yeah, that's five.

In retrospect Rage was shit. Utter dogshit.

There's little reason to use the turrets or the spider robots and I spent all my money between missions on shit loads of shotgun shells which could fuck up most enemies day. The remaining weapons were boring as hell and I'd made the mistake of saving the most powerful stuff for the big brutes that never came. The ginormous dead city boss has no other competitor in the game. The power station boss was no match for 9 explosive shotgun shells and didn't hit me once. There's no end boss and instead you're treated to the same enemies you'd been fighting to get to the last section some more. Cept this time they only jump out in twos instead of three. Sensing I'd misjudged when the end may come I deployed the spider robots and kicked back as I suddenly realised I was no longer needed.

And then it ends after a prolonged shoot out and *hnnngh* waiting to press three buttons. That's the finale? Get fucked ID. You're clearly no longer relevant to game design.

So the campaign must have only taken about five hours ignoring the padding and filler missions. Each mission has the same structure: walk around hub and collect mission, drive to area, do mission, find handy shortcut to get back to the car, drive back, talk to some poorly animated no-character character. Collect next mission. It's GTA without the humour, artful characterisation, story or, dammit, fun. It's not even scary.

The side mission just repeat areas you've been and ask you to fight the same enemies again so why bother? I'm not into collectables or cheevos (or at least the cheevos here weren't interesting enough to bother with) so the joy of repeating the same wooly combat I'd just spent 10 minutes doing had zero interest for me.

I'm just astonished its so bad. It's looks lovely. The buggy is actually decent fun to push around in and controls pretty good. The races are dull and although varied just can't sustain your interest when what you want to be doing is going back to dead city and tackling those funky mutants again.

You actually do end up on a return visit but the mutants have cleared out and the FEAR clones have invaded. Tch.

Also, where the fuck are these mega textures? I could barely tell the difference from , say, Halo's buggy sections. The draw distances are similar and Rage takes place mainly in canyons so you never get the expanse of land to traverse like Halo. I couldnt tell the difference in these sections. Personally I'd have preferred something less pretty indoors but interactive.

Something like Resistence 3. Something like FEAR 3. Both games are light years ahead of Rage. Both games are fun. Rage isn't. It's tedious. It's looked at the competition and thought 'you know what people like? Collecting stuff, messing around with mini games, wasting their time. They want more useless shit crammed into their games.'

Resistence 3, against all odds, was the best shooter of last year. It did it because it looked at the most beloved game from around 10 years ago and wondered why no one was copying it. Rage has just looked at what games are doing now. And that's why it's a load of old shit.

3/10. Marked up because even though it was shit it had the decency to be brief.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 0:34 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Wow.. I'd just come into this thread to say I've got this and played it in multiplayer tonight. I haven't touched the single player game but it looks lovely!

I was going to play it next but after that review, I think I might go with something else.

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]