Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Legend of Zelda: The Skyward Sword
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:18 

Like most people that own a Wii, mine has done very little for the last 12 (maybe more) months, except gather dust, but that might be about to change.
My interest in this has gone from "hmm, there's a new Zelda game out at some point, that's my mum's birthday present sorted", to "I should really go back and finish the Twilight Princess before the new one comes out"

The game isn't out until next Friday and requires a Wii remote plus (or a Wii motion plus add-on), although there is a special edition package with a gold Wii remote plus (and an orchestral cd), and it looks like the review embargo has been lifted today, with most places being suitably impressed.

I might have to make sure my Wii still works properly. :hat:

Post subject: Re: Legend of Zelda: The Skyward Sword
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:20 
Hibernating Druid

I enjoyed the Twilight Princess. Especially towards the end when it turned darker.

Don't own anything by Nintendo now though.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:22 

Zardoz wrote:
I enjoyed the Twilight Princess. Especially towards the end when it turned darker.

Don't own anything by Nintendo now though.

I think you might have mentioned this once or twice, although I can't remember why. :p

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 14:59 
Excellent Member

I adore Zelda games and have always looked forward to them but I've been a bit worried about this one purely because the shite motion controls utterly ruined Okami for me. All the good stuff I've heard about the Motion Plus thingy and the way it's been implemented in this Skyward Sword has taken the edge off that worry a little but I don't approve of motion controls in general so I'm still wary. I'm sure it'll be a good game per se because it's Zelda; but I suspect that I'll need to fight with the interface rather than being enabled by it and that irritates me on principle.

None of the above will stop me of course, it's a fucking Zelda game so of course I'll play the thing and spend hours gurgling with joy at every single little bit of it!

So to gear up for it I'm going to need to get one of those Motion Plus plug-in things for our existing Wiimote; is there anywhere doing a particularly good price on those? Also we've always just run the Wii through the Scart socket of the TV and I know you can get a slight resolution bump from running it through component instead but is it noticeable enough to make it worth hunting down one of the leads? And if so is there anyone doing a reliable one for cheap?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 15:07 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

A bloke at work says it's by far the best Zelda he's ever played, and he loves Zelda.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 15:27 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

@Bamba I changed my Wii from Scart to component a while back and I was amazed at the difference! Its definitely worth doing.

I think I paid less than a Tenner for the lead off Amazon... I think.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 15:28 
Comfortably Dumb

TheVision wrote:
@Bamba I changed my Wii from Scart to component a while back and I was amazed at the difference! Its definitely worth doing.

:this: I initially planned to have my Xbox running via Component and then I'd switch to Scart for the Wii. After a session on the Xbox then switching the Wii on, I realised that I needed that component cable.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 16:15 
Excellent Member

Thanks folks, I'll definitely get myself a component lead then so as to enjoy this as much as possible.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 16:24 
Kvnt

I actually prefer the way my Wii looks on my CRT via RGB cables. I bought a component cable and hooked it up to my HD telly, and it just looked weird - soft and blurred, and yet with more jaggies around everything...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 16:30 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

YOG wrote:
I actually prefer the way my Wii looks on my CRT via RGB cables. I bought a component cable and hooked it up to my HD telly, and it just looked weird - soft and blurred, and yet with more jaggies around everything...

Might be more down to the TV (and remember you need to go into the settings and enable 480p ? for video) , it made a big difference moving from scart on mine.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 16:48 

YOG wrote:

:this:

...the lomitations of CRT tellies were what Nintendo banked upon seeing them through against the next gen. HDTV takeup has been awesome however, despite half the users not having their shit set up correctly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 16:56 
Excellent Member

Amusingly I just pulled up a random YouTube video for Skyward Sword to remind myself of the quality of the graphics and the video can be played at 720p. :D

ETA: Heh, maybe they've captured all their promo material from the Dolphin emulator.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 17:01 
Prince of Fops

GovernmentYard wrote:
YOG wrote:

lomitations

Right, that's my new word for the week. I reckon it can be used and people will still understand you. There are no lomitations in this course of action.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 19:20 
I forgot about this - how vain

I've a tradition that every Xmas when I go home to see the olds I pack a nintendo game (along with the console) to play after everyone's fallen asleep. Along with watching Die Hard it's the most xmassy thing ever.

Last Year was SMG2, this year will be Zelda. Drunken parents asleep on the sofa, snow falling, fire crackling, and the jingle of an opening treasure chest. Glorius.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 19:23 
Hibernating Druid

:luv:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 23:08 
It's all pish

Shut it. You hate Nintendo, remember?

Xbox Live & Game Centre ID - MalcSeventyFour
You're not allowed to be better than me, though.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 0:43 
Excellent Member

Zelda has a Christmassy sort of feeling for me as well because I always seem to end up playing it at that time of year. Not long after I'd got together with Mrs Bamba I decided she need to be introduced to Zelda and I made her watch me play Twilight Princess; which I'd started when it first came out but never gone back to finish for various reasons. She got into it so much that she insisted we play more straight away, so we spent a long Christmas in our cosy candlelit living room drinking tasty German wheat beer and working our way through Ocarina of Time instantly followed by Wind Waker. Good times. Fucking good times.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:19 

Hells yes bamba.

Hello! Also.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:09 
Excellent Member

So I read the Eurogamer review of Skyward Sword. It has quotes in it like:

• "Instead, Skyward Sword joins motion control innovation and subtle restructuring together to make this the most effortless, breathless, free-flowing Zelda game since 1991's A Link to the Past on Super Nintendo."
  • "Motion Plus, the improved motion control available as an add-on or in the newer Wii Remote Plus controllers, is as integral to this game as the analogue stick was to Mario 64. "
  • "Nothing requires you to point at the screen, making for longer, more relaxed play sessions."
  • "Skyward Sword is a world away from the tacked-on waggle of Twilight Princess or Super Mario Galaxy, and by far the most successful synthesis of motion controls with traditional gaming to date."
  • "Despite the Wii's modest power, Skyward Sword is a very beautiful game, saturated with great artwork in dreamy pastels, rough edges smoothed away by impressionistic, painterly textures and atmospheric haze."

Shit. Yes. This is going to be fucking amazing isn't it? I have officially upgraded from 'cautious optimism with interface-dread' to 'full-on motherfucking confidence that this will rock my tits off'.

It's on Beex. It's fucking on.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:10 
Excellent Member

Dr Lave wrote:
Hello! Also.

Hello to you as well Dr. Lave!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:17 
Can you dig it?

Joans wrote:
My interest in this has gone from "hmm, there's a new Zelda game out at some point, that's my mum's birthday present sorted", to "I should really go back and finish the Twilight Princess before the new one comes out"

:this:

I was pretty close to the end I think - the temple in the sky with those freaky looking chicken people things.

I never did finish Majora's Mask either, I've been meaning to go back and do that for a long time now, but my 64 is packed away somehere... I was dead close to the end on that too...

Hold on... I never finished Link's awakening either (I just couldn't find the fire rod to melt some ice blocks)...

Despite really quite enjoying previous Zelda games, it seems that I don't always finish them. I've finished have been Ocarina, Wind waker (which, thinking about it may even have been my favourite, although at the time I found it a bit empty) and the one on DS where you had to draw things and do the same dungeon - Phantom Hourglass, that was it (took me a few moments to remember that one as I was typing).

This new one sounds interesting, but I'd have to get a wii motion plus thing, and check that the wii still works after the last round of softmodding. I'll be damned if I can remember what I last did to it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:14 
Excellent Member

Sir Taxalot wrote:
Hold on... I never finished Link's awakening either (I just couldn't find the fire rod to melt some ice blocks)...

That's a shame - you missed a great ending. I still think that Link's Awakening is the very best Zelda game, although many seem to just prefer ALTTP and OOT.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 20:47 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
"Motion Plus [...] is as integral to this game as the analogue stick was to Mario 64. "

That's the end of me buying it, then. Even when I'd forked out more money to make the Wiimote actually do what Nintendo said it would do from the start, it was still shit.

I still haven't bothered unpacked my Wii after moving house in August.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 14:08 
Best
Board Mother

Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:
"Motion Plus [...] is as integral to this game as the analogue stick was to Mario 64. "

That's the end of me buying it, then. Even when I'd forked out more money to make the Wiimote actually do what Nintendo said it would do from the start, it was still shit.

Do you not have any games on there that Sam might play?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 14:16 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Whenever a thread like this appears I feel obliged to jump to the Wii's defence but then I remember, if its such a great console... then why haven't I turned mine on for months?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 14:37 
Excellent Member

TheVision wrote:
Whenever a thread like this appears I feel obliged to jump to the Wii's defence but then I remember, if its such a great console... then why haven't I turned mine on for months?

Yeah, I know the feeling. I did in fact sell mine a few months ago, although the wife still has one which she plays every so often.

It must be the games - hardly any appeal to me, and only Wii Sports/Sports Resort and Super Mario Galaxy 'hit the spot' for me. I guess that says more about me than the games, but there you go.

Skyward Sword is kind of interesting (hence me looking at this thread) but despite the changes mentioned in the reviews it just looks like 'same old, same old'.

Meanwhile, I'm having a real blast playing World of Tanks on my PC, and it's FREE! :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 15:07 

I've been playing for just under 2 hours and I think the game is about to start. Here be spoilers...

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
You start off free to wander around Hogwarts the Knight Academy, eventually getting to rescue a cat type creature from a roof and carry some barrels around as people teach you the controls. Today is the day of the Tri-Wizard Tournament Wing Ceremony, which will involve you flying around in your dragon Loftwing. Hermione Zelda shoves you off a cliff so you can summon your loftwing and get in some last minute practise, but, uh-oh, no loftwing, so you have to go and find it. As you'd expect, your arch rival for the race, Malfoy Groose, has kidnapped your bird to take you out of the competition. Finally, you can get a sword, learn how to use it, then go for a quick stroll through a cave to get it back, much to Groose's delight. A quick crash course in how to fly your Loftwing, and then the race begins, I didn't really pay too much attention during the briefing, but basically, there's a Loftwing carrying a small statue, and you and 3 other riders trying to be the first to get it. This probably took the majority of my playtime as I was a bit crap at working out to how to control it, and when you do eventually catch the statue the first time, Groose stops you and you have to do it again, while the other competitors throw eggs at you. Obviously, I was (eventually) victorious, and for my reward I got a sailcloth, so I can jump from great heights, and the opportunity to play Pilotwings try it out by jumping from a statue and landing within a target. Then I got to go for a post-victory flight with Zelda, but unfortunately a big tornado appeared and she fell into it. Back at the academy, Zelda's dad tells me not to worry, as she'll be perfectly safe as long as she's with her Loftwing, and I follow a mysterious ghostly figure until it happens to pass a save statue and decide that's a good time for a break.

I think this is probably why I've struggled with the 3D Zelda games, because there seems to be so much opening before you actually do anything, but I've tried to persist as I did with the Twilight Princess, and hopefully I'll enjoy the rest of it (assuming I ever get round to playing it again). Control-wise, the sword fighting sometimes requires you to make diagonal slashes, that don't seem to always come off first time, and rather than using the pointer for the menus, you just gesture in the appropriate direction, although at one point it went a bit mad and get flicking between all the different choices, oh, and it also decided to change my option before I pressed A, which was a bit annoying. Otherwise though, it's Zelda, you know what to expect.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 23:59 
Can you dig it?

Hmmm, my interest dropped a bit after reading that. If I can be bothered to finish Twilight Princess, maybe I'll consider this one. So... maybe not likely then.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:25 

Sir Taxalot wrote:
Hmmm, my interest dropped a bit after reading that. If I can be bothered to finish Twilight Princess, maybe I'll consider this one. So... maybe not likely then.

I didn't really mean it to sound that negative, but it did seem to drag a bit, when I just wanted to get a sword and start slicing things. I think most of the reviews mentioned a fairly slow start, and I'm hoping it's out the way now and it's time for the real game to start.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:24 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Probably. I'll set it up at some point.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 13:04 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Probably. I'll set it up at some point.

Was just wondering why GJ's son would come round to your house to play on the Wii, before it clicked.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 14:55 
Hibernating Druid

Is it just me that thinks Skyward Sword sounds like a hard on?

Hopefully you all will now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 15:14 
Excellent Member

Zardoz wrote:
Is it just me that thinks Skyward Sword sounds like a hard on?

Only if you're a hormonally challenged pervert. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:33 

Couple more hours tonight.
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Continued to follow the ghostly figure up to a temple, where I had to pull a proper sword from a stone, learn that the mysterious figure is called Fi and will accompany me throughout the game and dispense useful advice, and opened up a path to the surface. Quick bit of shopping later and it's time to dive down a hole.

On the surface, creatures are hard (get hit, expect to lose a whole heart, but you do start with 6), come across a locked door, which I have to unlock by heading all the way to the bottom of a spiral, then back up to the door. Seems Zelda passed by this way and I have to head into the woods. Come across a small creature who thinks the elder of his people has seen Zelda, find him and he sends me off to play hide and seek with 3 other creatures. Find all of them and he's given me a slingshot, which I think will allow me to get into the first dungeon. Current playtime 3 & a half hours.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 18:51 

This has arrived with the special edition controller and has been put away for xmas (or at least december).

Must not be tempted...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:00 
Bad Girl

I'll be having some of this for Christmas too.

However, did anyone see the bug that stops you progressing? Seems if you save after a song of something or other you can't continue and the save game is fucked. You either start at the beginning or start from an earlier save game.

Nintendo know about the problem and are actively fixin...no they ain't, it ain't getting patched or nowt. They're just telling people not to save there. *sigh* they just don't "get" the Internet at all, do they?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 17:09 
Excellent Member

As some people will be glad to hear, I've given up on Skyrim (and thus my petty whining about it elsewhere on the forum) and traded it in for this. This afternoon was spent getting the Wii ready to go in preparation for actually playing it tonight. Until then, have some new whining from me about the Wii in general:

• ARRGGHHOHGODFUCKINGJESUSCHRIST!!!!! *cough* Sorry, that was just my visual cortex's response to seeing the Wii in action again (even through the new and barely improved component cable of uselessnes!). Seriously, it's just...words fail me at how ugly everything is.
  • Our Wii's been unplugged for literally years so obviously the first thing I do is go online and run a system update. Why then am I forced to do another one as soon as it boots up the Skyward Sword disc? Surely to God the system software on the game disc isn't newer than the one I've just freshly downloaded from the internet? And, if not, what the hell were you up to?
  • So, system software up to date and game disc booting up: title screen here I co...hold on, what the hell's this? Seriously Nintendo? An unskippable three minute long video (in a resolution that would embarass the shittiest of YouTube videos) showing me how to plug the MotionPlus thing in and then how to plug the Nunchuck into that? Fucking seriously? It should obviously be ignored that I'd actually forgotten to plug the nunchuck at this point. Ahem.

I'm warning you Skyward Sword, you'd better be bloody good...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 17:11 
Kvnt

That video did my head in, too. Fear not, though! The game is brilliant, for the most part, and has the most brisk start of any of the modern Zeldas (by which I mean the first three hours didn't make me consider throwing in the towel, or throwing myself out of a window).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 17:17 
Excellent Member

I am actually looking forward to it now it's all set up (with a +5 to trepidation due to general motion control fear) and will be getting into it straight after dinner so I'll post some initial thoughts tonight probably.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 17:59 
Bad Girl

I've yet to play through the tutorial yet. Uncharted 3 is keeping me away from it even though it'll probably be aces after the boring shit. The boring shit just lasts too long though: Three fucking tedious long hours till it picks up? Outrageous.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 18:13 
Kvnt

Well, it takes about that long to get to the first dungeon, but most of what leads up to it still involves nifty level design. It's quite light on pure RPGing, if you want it to be.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 19:36 
Terrible Human Being

It took a while for my eyes to adjust after months of PC gaming and nothing else, but now I'm used to it again it's fine. Finding it a great amount of fun, although the controls take a bit of getting used to at first, especially if you do what I did at first and cock up the calibration.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 21:12 
Kvnt

Remember you can recentre the pointer by pressing down on the d-pad, too. I often have to do this after I've been flying and need to use a menu or map, etc. It's no big deal, but unless you get into the habit of doing it, you might think your remote's not working properly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:11 

It seems to be constantly necessary to recalibrate. I don't remember ever having to recalibrate in, for example, Wii Sports Resort, so it is a bit puzzling. The closest I have come to an explanation is that whenever you enter a mode where you use the remote to point (map, slingshot, whatever) it seems to attempt some sort of automatic recalibration, and if you are not at that moment pointing directly at the screen then something goes horribly wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:15 
Kvnt

It's only the pointer function that needs resetting, as far as I can tell. The sword-swinging, flying and swimming have been spot-on throughout. Maybe I just haven't noticed because I press down all the time. :p

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:33 

Maybe I should say "recenter" rather than "recalibrate". I don't know if it actually does the same thing. Probably not.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:41 
Excellent Member

Some random thought from the hour and a half or so I played this last night:

• The graphics continue to be awful. Wind Waker looked brilliant because the style of it allowed them to do so much with so little, why in God's name didn't they stick with that? I did begin to get used to it last night and I'm sure once I get right into a good dungeon the immersion will be almost complete but I'm currently still at the stage where it's jarring as all hell.
  • Coming off the back of years of playing Xbox and PS3 games, the lack of second analogue stick to control the camera is a killer. I'll get used to as I always do (and as I recently did in Deadly Premonition now that I think about it) but it's just so much less convenient and immersion breaking to continually click a button to centre the camera behind you.
  • As a slight consolation to the above, it's amusing to realise that when clicking the 'first person' button you can, for the first time in a Zelda game, continue to walk around which essentially turns Zelda into an FPS! You can't jump or use your weapons and Mrs Bamba won't let me do it because it makes her feel sick thought so it's really just an amusing novelty.
  • Zelda stuff aside, the Wiimote is suprisingly uncomfortable to use. When looking to click the 1 or 2 buttons I found myself having to change my grip to stretch my fingers down from the core buttons at the top of the Wiimote. And I've got pretty big hands, how do kids manage it? That aside I've got absolutely no muscle memory for the thing and constantly find myself looking down at it to see where my fingers are so I can click stuff. That's not the Wii's fault of course and no doubt I'll be all over it after a couple of dungeons but it's odd and slightly amusing to have to actually think about the controller again and not just have it be an almost subconscious extension of my hand the way the Xbox pad is.
  • The motion controls for the sword fighting are well introduced in the wee training room and I did have fun slapping logs around. The real question though is whether they'll hold up in frantic fights with bosses and whatnot. I'm currently on the fence about this as things did get a bit random and flail-y during the mini training dungeon full of bats and blobs. Hmmmm.
  • Talking of motion controls; when you lift a small barrel you can apparently either throw it or roll it. I can throw things fine but the roll just didn't work at all. No doubt it'll end up being a critical mechanic (I'm thinking of having to roll bombs through small gaps at a boss or some such) so that's a headache waiting to happen. Is everyone else merrily rolling stuff hither and thither or is this an actual real problem?
  • I may have to do some weight training if flying is a major game feature; my arm was fucking killing me after chasing that yellow bird around in the competition.
  • It's a bit early doors to be declaring me the champion of the world and handing me a feature-sword is not? Jesus guys, at least let me work for it a bit!
  • What the hell's up with the head guy's kitten? During the night section it went all feral on me but when I slapped it with my sword it ran away and wept in a heart-breaking fashion and I got a bollocking from Mrs Bamba. Don't force me into animal abuse and then make me feel like a bastard for it Nintendo, that's not what I pay you for!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 15:54 
Kvnt

I'm thinking you just need the right kind of set-up for the graphics to look nice. The art style is clearly amazing, it's just that it's obscured by shedloads of jaggies on my display, and the 'impressionist' background filtering can have mixed results depending on your location - sometimes it seems to be in effect in the foreground and makes everything look blurry, etc. I'm currently playing it on an HDTV via Wii2HDMI, but I've also tried it on a 15" CRT via RGB cables. Since you can only play it in widescreen, switching back to the CRT wouldn't be a good alternative for me. Bet it looks good on a bigger one, though.

Rolling bombs works fine for me. Point the remote downwards, flick upwards, bish bash bosh. Oh, and don't worry about attacking the evil cats - they're a generic enemy. You're not battering your pal's pet. :p

The only time the remote was problematic for me was during the tightrope walks. You're supposed to point it upwards (as you do for a Skyward Strike) and then tilt left and right to balance, but the game doesn't explain this to you at all. Which is odd, because it explains and reminds you of everything else 1000 times more than is necessary.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 16:03 
Excellent Member

YOG wrote:
Rolling bombs works fine for me. Point the remote downwards, flick upwards, bish bash bosh.

Hmmm, bugger. I'll have to have a fiddle around again tonight and see if I can get it working.

YOG wrote:
Oh, and don't worry about attacking the evil cats - they're a generic enemy. You're not battering your pal's pet. :p

Really? Fair enough, it's just odd then that you can't kill them as the cat in question just cowered in a corner after the first hit no matter what I did after that, it never actually died or anything.

YOG wrote:
The only time the remote was problematic for me was during the tightrope walks. You're supposed to point it upwards (as you do for a Skyward Strike) and then tilt left and right to balance, but the game doesn't explain this to you at all.

Nice one, I'll keep that in mind!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 16:05 
Kvnt

Yeah, you can't kill 'em; they're the village cats. They're nice during the day and barmy at night, or something.

Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next