Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Painting and decorating
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 20:51 

It's taken me the best part of two days, but I've finished! Here's a pic:

user posted image

No wait, I haven't. It's taken me the best part of 1.5 days to get just the first layer of the wallpaper off, there's still all the backing paper and glue underneath. It's far too much hassle, so now that I've got all of the top layer off I'm just gonna get a man in.

The walls need a hell of a lot of plastering/skimming anyway before they can be repainted and I'm buggered if I'm doing that. Will just get someone to do it all for me I think, much easier.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 22:22 
Legendary Boogeyman

Fix that 'user posted image' please, I want to see. :)

Come on Gaz, you can't give up now. A 'man' would probably just charge you as much for getting the rest of it off than he would have in the first place, making your effort thus far worthless. C'mon! This is the easy stuff, stripping and painting is a piece of piss.

I boarded my entire loft a few months after moving in and that was an enormous bastard pain in the arse. I had to scoop out 50 years and dust and old, shite insultation before replacing it with new stuff and boarding over it, one giant floorboard at a time. It was about 6 weeks of part-time graft and the sheer level of dust and shite meant we had black, streaming eyes and spent a while sneezing and coughing up black stuff. But, the whole effort cost me about £100 for the boards, and the use of the loft is invaluable. A 'man' would have charged me £250 on top of the cost of the boards to sort it out. DIY for the win!

I've been meticulously cutting some tiles tonight to go around a sink, and that's also a pain in the arse, but a man would probably charge me £100 just for doing that. It's just a shame I can't plumb or do electrics - licence to print money, it is.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 23:11 
Peculiar, yet lovely

If I and my sister can paint and decorate my family's entire house ten years ago, you can do one small room. IT IS WRITTEN.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 23:12 

The broken "user posted image" is because a picture of the finished room doesn't exist ;)

I might try and strip the rest of the paper off tomorrow with the steamer, but I'm definitely not going to do the re-plastering and skimming. I might do the painting after that's done, but the problem is that I've got so much paying work to do that I've got precious little time to do any of this shit. I figured I'd set aside this entire weekend to get the room done and dusted but it's just not worked out. I'd rather pay a "man" whatever he wants than waste more time that could be spent earning the money needed to pay the guy in the first place ;)

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2