Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 611 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Playstation Vita
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:12 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Saturnalian wrote:
Left and right on the back pad, or the touchscreen, I forget which. Touchscreen, I think. Back pad is for L/R3, I reckon.

I should have let Zaphod answer shouldn't I. I don't know, something on the front or back. It's a touch thing anyway; touching somewhere on the Vita where you're supposed to touch it. But not in a creepy way. I mean, don't stroke it, just like bang your finger on it. Fingerbang, if you will. No, no, not finger bang. Anyway, I'll let Zaphod clear it up.

You can actually manually choose the controls you want however default has the top of the rear touchpad as L2 / R2 and bottom as L3 / R3

You can switch this around and also assign the front touchscreen for other controls.

And it sounds like you have played (or would like to play) Monster Monpiece

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:14 
Bad Girl

Quote:
i think Sat liked Kick n Fenix

Did I fuck! It was derisory dogshit and I hated every minute of it up until it crashed for good; then I was happy i'd never have to play it again.

To modify your list, I really enjoyed Xenodrifter and thought Uncharted was good for Vita but still a poor game and Killzone Mercenaries was a load of shit too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:21 
8-Bit Champion

Ah it was Lave that liked it

Quote:
6. Kick and Fennick - Vita - I've said it all over the place, but this is such a surprising delight. A genuinely novel and new 2D platformer. Game of the Year contender. I'll be wittering about this all year. Fantastic. As I said in the PS+ thread, there is something really primal and entertaining about parabolas. Must be evolution getting us to enjoy chucking rocks at mammoths. Or the use of urinals. Or something. But whatever the reason, a 2D platformer based on the recoil from a sniper rifle sending you flying in beautiful parabolas across the map is just superbly enjoyable to play. Binged and completed it over 3 days. Didn't outstay it's welcome, and bar a tiny dip in the middle where there is too much of a focus on timing puzzles, it fires on all cylinders throughout.

Killzone is the closest to a handheld COD game , it looks great - keeps the framerate up and the multiplayer stuff 'works' its an amazing achievement that they got all this running on a handheld , it was one of the first Vita games I got that i spent hours playing even when I had my other console games available.

Uncharted again was an early vita game for me - i've not revisited it recently so it may have aged but it again goes for the console feel.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:45 

Wipeout is good, if you like that sort of thing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:46 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

lasermink wrote:

Paul Daniels was good on it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:54 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
lasermink wrote:

He is quite the math genius, too and a decent coder. He had a hand in creating the forerunner to quick acess computer memory, and SSDs using a daemon to swiftly retrieve data: The Wizbit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:56 
UltraMod

MaliA wrote:
Grim... wrote:
lasermink wrote:

He is quite the math genius, too and a decent coder. He had a hand in creating the forerunner to quick acess computer memory, and SSDs using a daemon to swiftly retrieve data: The Wizbit.

I spoke to him on the phone when I worked for 123-reg. He was really polite and humble.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 21:39 
8-Bit Champion

New game from the Drinkbox team (Guacamelee) - available April 26th

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 22:33 
Prince of Fops

zaphod79 wrote:

New game from the Drinkbox team (Guacamelee) - available April 26th

looks like it's basically Infinity Blade but in a funky Guacamelee stylee. Will be fun, at the right price.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:55 
Bad Girl

I love their art style but releasing on the Vita assures that it'll be a huge flop. I hope it doesn't tank the developers because I'd love for them to do well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:02 
Prince of Fops

Saturnalian wrote:
I love their art style but releasing on the Vita assures that it'll be a huge flop. I hope it doesn't tank the developers because I'd love for them to do well.

true. Weird that they've not gone for iOS. Not that I'm complaining. Vita needs more good stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:29 
Participant in dramatic games

So i got a cheap psvita second hand yesterday. Read the recommendations here. Anybody tried the edf 2017 port? Loved that on the 360. Bit steep priced (29 euros) though

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:56 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Everything is steep priced.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 13:02 
8-Bit Champion

Except when its on sale - e.g. that EDF game has been on sale for

£3.99 http://savygamer.co.uk/2014/10/08/earth ... vita-3-99/
and
£5.79 http://savygamer.co.uk/2015/05/06/earth ... vita-5-79/

And its 'okay' - not as good as the 360 game but its fine to play on a portable device

Metacritic : http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... 7-portable

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:38 
8-Bit Champion

If your still interested EDF is back down to £3.99

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-gb/ ... 7PORTABLE0

And EDF2 (which i've not played) - is 1/2 price - £15 instead of £30

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-gb/ ... EFENFORCE2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:23 

Thans. Glad i could refrain myself. Tomorrow long trainride to Maastricht. Perfect timing.

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:54 
SavyGamer

Findus Fop wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

true. Weird that they've not gone for iOS. Not that I'm complaining. Vita needs more good stuff.

Presumably they got a bag of money from Sony and it will come to iOS/Android at a later date.

I imagine it actually started life off as a mobile/tablet game before Sony stepped in.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 15:00 
UltraMod

romanista wrote:
Thans. Glad i could refrain myself. Tomorrow long trainride to Maastricht. Perfect timing.

Rick

MALC HAS TAKEN OVER YOUR ACCOUNT

Ps - treat yourself in Maastricht. Get it?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 14:42 
SavyGamer

Update to the latest firmware, and go to this website on your Vita browser, and you got Vita homebrew.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 14:44 

LewieP wrote:
Update to the latest firmware, and go to this website on your Vita browser, and you got Vita homebrew.

...but you can never update your Vita again :(

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 14:47 
UltraMod

My Vita deserves more love than it gets (tbf so does my 3DS but my gf has that at the moment). I think I've just gone off portable gaming - I don't even play games on my phone anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 14:56 

Lonewolves wrote:
My Vita deserves more love than it gets (tbf so does my 3DS but my gf has that at the moment). I think I've just gone off portable gaming - I don't even play games on my phone anymore.

Yeah me too, I'm mostly using my Vita to see if anyone's online on PS4!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 14:59 

Steamworld Heist has been getting a good airing during my commute, although I've hit an annoying difficulty spike.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:52 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Lonewolves wrote:

Sounds like you should sell it then!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:10 
Prince of Fops

I grabbed XCom Plus in the sale last night for around a fiver. I think it's the fourth time I've bought XCom now, owning it on 360, PC and iOS. I don't really begrudge it though, as I don't think I've spent more than a tenner on any individual version, and the devs deserve it.

It seems to include The Enemy Within and is actually a really nice port. The loading times can be horrible and it can be juddery scrolling around the map, but they've done a brilliant job adapting the controls for the Vita. Real pleasure to play.

Should make my commute much less onerous.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 15:14 
SavyGamer

I've had a bit of a play with the very much wip GBA emulator for the vita and I reckon with a little bit of work to iron out the minor performance issues, it'll be the best way to play GBA games. They look lovely on that screen. Pretty impressive given it's so early.

They've been working on it for months, but I had a chat with one of the devs on twitter, and he said that because the old way to do homebrew was so convoluted, they'd basically stopped working on it because testing and fixing bugs was so arduous, but now that it's really easy, they've made a lot of progress in a short space of time.

I had been considering picking up a GB Micro because I'd been Jon the mood to revisit a few GBA games, but this'll be more than adequate.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:22 
Prince of Fops

This morning, somewhere between Gatwick and East Croydon, I was actually in Canada blundering through an alien abduction. Nigella Lawson's sniper got herself killed on the first move by climbing atop a train carriage and making a sitting-yet-sultry duck of herself (forcing a reload. I know I know, but she was my only sniper).

Then Mark Ruffalo went carousing through that same carriage into what I thought was cover but turned out to be a prime position for a sectoid to knock six health off him. Having lost Ross Kemp, Fern Britten and Alexis Petridis in the two prior missions, I was keen to keep casulaties low so I kept Mark back and hunkered him down. A more sensibly positioned Nigella was able to pick off his assailant and the little dude who was brain-docking with him.

Louise Wener was charging forth with her shotty to grab the Meld, supported by Princess Diana. Now we had the Meld, we just needed to clear up the aliens, but couldn't find them anywhere. Suddenly, two came from behind us, where poor old Mark Ruffalo was marooned on his own. Luckily, and awesomely, Mark Ruffalo took one of the aliens down with Overwatch while everyone else dashed back to support. But before they could get there, Mark Ruffalo took down the other alien with a very long range and speculative round of machine gun fire.

Which is definitely the best thing I've done on a train.

I don't know if this Plus version is a little harder, but I'm finding the aliens more aggressive than on other versions. I am only playing on Normal because I am a wuss.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:29 
Paws for thought

Findus Fop wrote:
This morning, somewhere between Gatwick and East Croydon, I was actually in Canada blundering through an alien abduction. Nigella Lawson's sniper got herself killed on the first move by climbing atop a train carriage and making a sitting-yet-sultry duck of herself (forcing a reload. I know I know, but she was my only sniper).

Then Mark Ruffalo went carousing through that same carriage into what I thought was cover but turned out to be a prime position for a sectoid to knock six health off him. Having lost Ross Kemp, Fern Britten and Alexis Petridis in the two prior missions, I was keen to keep casulaties low so I kept Mark back and hunkered him down. A more sensibly positioned Nigella was able to pick off his assailant and the little dude who was brain-docking with him.

Louise Wener was charging forth with her shotty to grab the Meld, supported by Princess Diana. Now we had the Meld, we just needed to clear up the aliens, but couldn't find them anywhere. Suddenly, two came from behind us, where poor old Mark Ruffalo was marooned on his own. Luckily, and awesomely, Mark Ruffalo took one of the aliens down with Overwatch while everyone else dashed back to support. But before they could get there, Mark Ruffalo took down the other alien with a very long range and speculative round of machine gun fire.

I don't know if this Plus version is a little harder, but I'm finding the aliens more aggressive than on other versions. I am only playing on Normal because I am a wuss.

This isn't the dreams and nightmares thread.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:22 
Prince of Fops

Mr Dave wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

This isn't the dreams and nightmares thread.

wait till you hear about what happened with Gordon Ramsay and Marilyn Monroe in the barracks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 14:08 
Prince of Fops

I suspect most people who own a Vita here already own Persona 4 Golden. But if you don't, you can pick it up for a bargainous £6.99 on the Playstation Store

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:16 
Prince of Fops

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Steamworld Heist has been getting a good airing during my commute, although I've hit an annoying difficulty spike.

This has been commuter game of the last couple of weeks. Really enjoying it.
Which bots are your preferred companions? Payday and Beatriz seem to be my regulars, though I feel bad for leaving my buddy seabrass at home so often. He's now too many levels down, as is the red neck bot, whose kill shot could be a valuable perk if I'd known about it earlier.

And what brilliant music in the bars!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:29 

Findus Fop wrote:
Which bots are your preferred companions? Payday and Beatriz seem to be my regulars, though I feel bad for leaving my buddy seabrass at home so often. He's now too many levels down, as is the red neck bot, whose kill shot could be a valuable perk if I'd known about it earlier.

I favour mobility and fast killing, so Sally (for Kill Shot), Payroll (for speeeeed), often Piper for Inspire/heal (but I don't often give her sniper weapons), Ivanski (for heavy weapon support and tanking when I fuck up my party movement.)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:58 
Prince of Fops

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

I favour mobility and fast killing, so Sally (for Kill Shot), Payroll (for speeeeed), often Piper for Inspire/heal (but I don't often give her sniper weapons), Ivanski (for heavy weapon support and tanking when I fuck up my party movement.)

dangit, I knew I made a mistake neglecting Sally. She's a lowly Level 2 and I'm a couple of missions into the third act.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 14:03 
Prince of Fops

This is totally a multi-format game, but sounds ideally suited to the Vita:

Vostok Inc review on Eurogamer

Shoot shit. Build shit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 15:38 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Yeah, I liked the look of that too. Didn't realise it was on Vita.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 15:39 

As someone who'll be spending almost thirty hours on planes in the next three weeks, this interests me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 15:43 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

As someone who can't make his hands into the correct claw shape to use his Vita, it doesn't :(

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 21:43 

ah very nice, some new spice in the vita, when going to moldova next month..

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:34 
Prince of Fops

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
As someone who'll be spending almost thirty hours on planes in the next three weeks, this interests me.

Don't know if you tried Neon Chrome, a ps plus freebie recently. Just started it and seems to be a very enjoyable rogue game. Cyberpunk setting, excellent synthy sound track.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:51 

Findus Fop wrote:
Don't know if you tried Neon Chrome, a ps plus freebie recently. Just started it and seems to be a very enjoyable rogue game. Cyberpunk setting, excellent synthy sound track.

I have. I initially hated it because it's one of the Vita games that uses too much RAM, so you can't go into Settings without quitting the game. But then Bose fixed the bug on my headphones that meant I had to toggle Bluetooth on and off before I could get sound, so now I think I can play it again.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:09 
Prince of Fops

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

I have. I initially hated it because it's one of the Vita games that uses too much RAM, so you can't go into Settings without quitting the game. But then Bose fixed the bug on my headphones that meant I had to toggle Bluetooth on and off before I could get sound, so now I think I can play it again.

Ha, I've been having the exact same grumble with my Sony headphones and this game. Sadly i have to stick a lead in to avoid rebooting the game. Cyberpunk my arse.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:13 

My old LG Bluetooth 'phones did the same thing. I assume the Vita does something weird, and Bose have added a workaround. Hurrah for buying headphones with user-updateable firmware I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:04 

Findus Fop wrote:

Shoot shit. Build shit.

the playstation store only offers me the ps4 version at the moment:( or is it a bundle?

this months psplus offering down the well looks nice too..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:28 
Prince of Fops

romanista wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

Shoot shit. Build shit.

the playstation store only offers me the ps4 version at the moment:( or is it a bundle?

this months psplus offering down the well looks nice too..

It doesn't look to be out on the Vita yet (Vostok).

I've downloaded Downwell, will give it a fumble later.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:01 

btw, i might have asked this before , but i always though there were some good tare-mode shooters on the vita, but can't seem to find any http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41801 (except for hacking it)

downfall has it, btw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVNQ_qTPJXY

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:21 
8-Bit Champion

I remember there being some good PSP games that did that , and most of those will be available on the Vita as well (Capcom collections and some pinball ones are the things I can remember without googling for them)

Neogaf thread with the same question from 3 years ago : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=907067

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:29 

Well that is what i heard to, but i can't seem to find any on the playstation store (like the port of super star soldier)...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:48 

mmm it really is a shame that the psx classics on the pasture don't offer dodonpachi here.. from that thread i see only cap com classics reloaded https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capcom_Cl ... n_Reloaded as a possibility, but.. 1943 is not really dodonpachi..

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:24 
8-Bit Champion

So the other option , and I know this is messy is to use a US account on your vita

We have some things which are not available to the Americans / Canadians (for no real reason) and they have stuff that's not available to us

Sign out of the PSN store and then click this link (if you are signed in - it will try to take you to the European page which does not exist)

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-ca/games/super-star-soldier-(ps3-psp)/cid=UP0555-NPUF30010_00-SUPERSTARSOLEH06

Which will take you to Star Soldier (the game mentioned in the thread above) which is compatible with the Vita and costs $6 (Canadian)

Games on the Vita *are* region free , but you cant have more than one account on a memory card , and to switch you need to turn the vita off / swap cards / turn it back on and wait for it to rebuild its database which is a faff if your doing it on a regular basis.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 15:56 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

I've now played a ton of this (completed it twice.) It's pretty good. Message ends.

Reply to topic  [ 611 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next