Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 611 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Playstation Vita
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:52 

Might need to take a look at that. My PSP is still on CW 5.50 or thereabouts I think. To be honest, I've barely touched it since getting the Vita. I'm a little gutted that I've missed out on all the various chances there's been to load PSP homebrew on the Vita through bugged Mini apps as the only thing a PSP has over a Vita is the ability to run emulators. Even actual PSP games are much better played on a Vita.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:59 
Paws for thought

To vaguely get it back on topic, finally got round to picking up soul sacrifice.

The English dub is annoyingly painful (see also: enchanted arms). Never mind, thinks I, I'll just go into the options and change the audio to Japanese. Except it's disabled. And apparently available as pre order dlc. (!!!)

Bloody pre order dlc.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 19:34 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

throughsilver wrote:

Lynx is perfect, as I recall. And PC Engine! And of course, PSOne, as Sony enabled that in the firmware.

Ace..

Any closer to selling that PSP Doc?

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:23 

Oh. I forgot to take some pictures for you. Will do over weekend.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:10 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Thanks! I'll look out for them.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 21:59 
Bad Girl

eBay just said my Vita has been dispatched. I'll believe it when I see it...

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:17 
SavyGamer

Like new from Amazon for under £130.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 23:47 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Any closer to sorting out your PSP Doc?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:06 
SavyGamer

£100.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:27 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

TheVision wrote:
Any closer to sorting out your PSP Doc?

You could pick up a basic PSP for £22 ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listin ... ition=used

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:33 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I could but if the Docs is already hacked, then that would make my life easier.. plus, I'd rather give Gaywood the money.

I'll see if he comes back to me. I'm not in a rush to get one I just thought I'd take advantage while the offer was there.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:56 
Excellent Member

TheVision wrote:
I could but if the Docs is already hacked, then that would make my life easier

If you mean 'running custom firmware that allows you to play downloaded game ISOs' then I did mine in about ten minutes. With the later ones (i.e. the PSP 3000) you apparently can't make it permanent but it just means you having a file sat on the memory card which you run whenever you switch the thing on. The PSP then automatically reboots and that's you ready to go; it's a piece of piss.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:29 

Shit I forgot. I swear I'll do it tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:36 
Bad Girl

My Vita hasn't arrived from eBay yet. :( but also >:(

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:41 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Shit I forgot. I swear I'll do it tonight.

Thanks Doc! Much appreciated.. It's getting closer to payday for me anyway so the wait has probably worked in my favour.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 20:41 

Here you go...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/362 ... C_3535.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/362 ... C_3536.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/362 ... C_3538.jpg

PSP-2000 with 4 GB and 8 GB memory cards, charger, case, GTA: Vice City Stories on UMD. 5.50 Prome-4 custom firmware (I brought this full up to date about a year or so back).

I'm certain I have the box somewhere but it's probably under a ton of stuff in the attic. Haven't located it yet.

Currently on the memory cards (all booleg obv):
4 GB: MAME4All PSP v4.9r2, SNES9x emus (with a bunch of ROMs)
8 GB: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Half-Minute Hero, Tactics Ogre, Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker, Persona 3 Portable, Valkyria Chronicles II, Ur-Quan Masters (near-perfect remake of Star Control II), SCUMMVM (w/ Day Of The Tentacle, Indiana Jones, Sam & Max, Secret of Monkey Island -- all talky versions), DGEN (Megadrive emu), Final Fantasy Tactics: The War Of The Lions

Most obvious reason not to buy it is the light screen scratching (visible in the pics). It's not enough to bother me in use but I can't claim with a straight face that it's in mint condition or anything. The screen front material on these things is a fairly soft plastic (it might be polycarbonate) and it tends to accumulate scuffs very easily, even when carried in a case.

It's also possible the battery is a bit tired. It's quite old now. I believe it can be replaced quite cheaply.

I have no idea what it's worth. A quick look on ebay suggests 'not much'. Make me an offer if you want, but I won't be offended if you don't.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 23:42 
Worst

Bamba wrote:
TheVision wrote:
I could but if the Docs is already hacked, then that would make my life easier

If you mean 'running custom firmware that allows you to play downloaded game ISOs' then I did mine in about ten minutes. With the later ones (i.e. the PSP 3000) you apparently can't make it permanent but it just means you having a file sat on the memory card which you run whenever you switch the thing on. The PSP then automatically reboots and that's you ready to go; it's a piece of piss.

:this:

Precious little 'hacking' involved. Just update to the latest firmware, then download the posh homebrew version of it. Then it plays emus - no sideloading or whatever. If you turn it off, you need to run the mini-reboot thing again, but that takes five seconds. If you put it in sleep mode, you don't even need to do that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:01 

What they said. It isn't hard.

(I'm a terrible salesman.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:16 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Thanks for taking those pictures. It's very much appreciated.. I'll take this to a PM now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:33 
ugvm'er at heart...

At £100 i would be interested in a Vita, due to having PS+, but how much do all the memory cards cost? They are mega expensive aren't they?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:42 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Trooper wrote:
At £100 i would be interested in a Vita, due to having PS+, but how much do all the memory cards cost? They are mega expensive aren't they?

At £100 I was looking yesterday and it seems that the cheapest (a 4 gig) is about £15 but thats basically 1 game and you really need a 16 or bigger

Cheapest 16 I could see was about £35 so that would mean about £130 for the Vita right now so I didnt buy - perhaps Sonys E3 presentation next week will change my mind.

To see how much they gouge you on this just look at the 32 gig cards - cheapest I could find for them was about £55
cheapest 32 gig SD card was about £16 for a branded Sandisk (from Amazon so i'm pretty confident its a real card and not a fake)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:00 
ugvm'er at heart...

Yeah, that's what I thought. That's a no go then, maybe if they drop to £50.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:05 
SavyGamer

Yeah, the memory cards are obscenely expensive.

In the US they just released a memory card that comes bundled with a load of games (PSN serials), that seemed to be a slightly better deal. Maybe they will make one of those for the UK.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:39 

The memory card prices are by far the worst thing about the Vita, but I've never for a moment regretted buying mine. It's a fabulous little machine with some genuinely terrific games of it's own, even before you factor in the fact it can play PlayStation Mobile, Mini, PSP and PSone titles. If someone managed to hack it for homebrew, it'd be perfect.

Edit: obviously the PSP can do all the above, except the Vita and Mobile games, but the 2nd stick, vastly more ergonomic design and that incredible screen make the Vita something else. PSP games are genuinely better played on a Vita.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:42 
Bad Girl

I'd like a pop at that Soul Sacrifice game as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 13:21 
Paws for thought

Saturnalian wrote:
I'd like a pop at that Soul Sacrifice game as well.

The (jp) demo was good, but I just can't get past the terrible dub on the UK version.

This is probably only an issue for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 20:19 
Worst

zaphod79 wrote:
Trooper wrote:

At £100 I was looking yesterday and it seems that the cheapest (a 4 gig) is about £15 but thats basically 1 game and you really need a 16 or bigger

Cheapest 16 I could see was about £35 so that would mean about £130 for the Vita right now so I didnt buy - perhaps Sonys E3 presentation next week will change my mind.

What do they take - Pro Duos, or another type? I got a 16GB for £30 the other week.

That's not so expensive. I remember getting a 2GB one as my main birthday present in 2005.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 20:35 
SavyGamer

"PS Vita Memory cards".

The only thing that uses them is the PS Vita.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 20:46 
Bad Girl

Am I Rite when I say that your PS3 will hold onto your game when you need space on your memory card? So if you download a game to your PS3 you can just copy it across to your Vita and when you need Vita-space you can just delete it off the card safe in the knowledge you can move it back on from the PS3 if you fancy it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 20:47 
Worst

LewieP wrote:
"PS Vita Memory cards".

The only thing that uses them is the PS Vita.

Sony, you've done it again! :facepalm:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:57 

Saturnalian wrote:
Am I Rite when I say that your PS3 will hold onto your game when you need space on your memory card? So if you download a game to your PS3 you can just copy it across to your Vita and when you need Vita-space you can just delete it off the card safe in the knowledge you can move it back on from the PS3 if you fancy it.

Well, you'd need to copy it back to the PS3 if you wanted to retain your save games (although I think the Vita supports cloud-based saving for PS+ users, doesn't it?).

Anything you buy via PSN goes into your Downloads list and can be redownloaded on PS3 or Vita whenever you like.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 17:45 
Bad Girl

Picking up my Vita from parcelling collecting peeps now! 'cited!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 19:05 
Bad Girl

Damn, this is one sexy bit of kit.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 21:40 
Bad Girl

Downloaded all the games off PS+ on a 16Gb Vita card that cost me £30 from ASDA.

Gravity Rush, Uncharted, Soul Sacrifice demo, Sine Mora, Coconut Madness, some spaceship game and Rayman Origins. Got em all on there with room to spare.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 21:44 
Bad Girl

Can I just say that Uncharted, Sine Mora and Rayman Origins in particular really do look the business on it? Yes, yes I can. Rayman looks bloody gorgeous on Vita's sexy screen.

I might have a play with the remote play in a bit to see if I can watch a film in bed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 22:10 
Bad Girl

I'll say this: remote play is pretty bloody impressive. The only thing it can't do is play PS3 games. Shame that but apparently there's somehow you can use the Vita like a tablet.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 22:18 

You know it'll play all the PS4 games though, right?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 22:19 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
I'll say this: remote play is pretty bloody impressive. The only thing it can't do is play PS3 games.

So it's Remote Watch then?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 22:20 
Bad Girl

Tell a lie, you can play some games remotely but not many. Guess what is though: ICO and SOTC! Well, of course they are. Cause they're ace in any sense of the word.

Here's a list of cross-controller, cross-play, cross-buy and Alex-Cross in a new book about the same boring shit. One of these is a lie.

List of stuff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 22:25 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
Tell a lie, you can play some games remotely but not many. Guess what is though: ICO and SOTC! Well, of course they are. Cause they're ace in any sense of the word.

Heh, yeah, I Googled it after my last post and thought you'd be excited to see those on the list.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 22:26 
Bad Girl

Bamba wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:
I'll say this: remote play is pretty bloody impressive. The only thing it can't do is play PS3 games.

So it's Remote Watch then?

Erm, not really (I see what you did there though), you use your PS3 as normal on the Vita like a second screen. You can go on the Internet, look at pictures, play music, Netflix, LoveFilm, message, download stuff off the store etc etc and can play SOTC.

Mind you, some of that's pointless with the Vita's functions but, say, I've got my external hard drive with my movies and TV plugged into the PS3 and can access that hard drive from anywhere. The screen quality is lovely.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 22:28 
Bad Girl

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
You know it'll play all the PS4 games though, right?

I read that and as long as, say, they don't charge you for two copies it'll be magic.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 22:30 
Bad Girl

Bamba wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

Heh, yeah, I Googled it after my last post and thought you'd be excited to see those on the list.

You should stop playing those hidden object games and play the only game worth playing!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 14:20 
Bad Girl

So I've got onto my parents Wi-Fi with the Vita, I've logged into PSN, I've also left my PS3 turned on at home all connected to the Internet, remote settings are on but can I log in remotely?

No.

Do you only get remote control on the same hub?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 17:08 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
So I've got onto my parents Wi-Fi with the Vita, I've logged into PSN, I've also left my PS3 turned on at home all connected to the Internet, remote settings are on but can I log in remotely?

No.

Do you only get remote control on the same hub?

It's either going to be an issue with one of the two routers involved not forwarding traffic properly or maybe, according to Sony's instructions, because you need to leave the PS3 in 'remote play connection standby mode'.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 17:54 
Bad Girl

Apparently it does work so it must be one of those issues. I can "connect via Internet" at home and even turn it on remotely when it's on standby so maybe it's my folks Internet. It's be cool if it'd work anywhere so I could access my hard drive.

I'd probably do it about twice then never do it again.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 17:58 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
Apparently it does work so it must be one of those issues. I can "connect via Internet" at home and even turn it on remotely when it's on standby so maybe it's my folks Internet. It's be cool if it'd work anywhere so I could access my hard drive.

I'd probably do it about twice then never do it again.

Probably an issue with your parents' router then; I did a wee bit of Googling around and it seems certain routers don't automatically forward the traffic properly. You can potentially fix it with manual port forwarding and such like but I assume that's a level you don't want to get into.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 18:04 
Bad Girl

I haven't a clue what you just wrote. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 17:58 
Bad Girl

Amazing things:

1) Put the PS3 on remote when I went out and logged in at my folks this time and it worked! Yay. Played some Tokyo Jungle remotely which was ace.

2) "Discovered" that you don't need a separate PS Vita USB lead cause the USB end is actually the bit that goes into the 'brick'. I thought it was all one thing. Tch.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 18:01 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
2) "Discovered" that you don't need a separate PS Vita USB lead cause the USB end is actually the bit that goes into the 'brick'. I thought it was all one thing. Tch.

This is a pretty standard design these days and you'll find it with most hardware that uses USB for charging.

Reply to topic  [ 611 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next