Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
 Post subject: Fifa 12
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 18:45 
UltraMod

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011- ... s-GBP54-99

I wonder if the supermarkets will have their annual war? I haven't bought one since 09, so was tempted this year.

Post subject: Re: Fifa 12
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 19:13 

Yeah I read this last week and though I'm sure it's true in terms of what Game are doing or planning, I'm still dismissing it as them just trying it on in the hope of getting loads of muppets to "pre-order" and all that bollocks.

I couldn't be without my annual Fifa, but there's no way in the world I would pay more than around £35 for it (well, any game really), but on such a big title as this I refuse to believe the supermarkets won't do their usual thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 19:15 
Time Out for Fun

I'm pretty sure the articles bullshit.

The ultimate editions RRP is £55 on the Game website, so I would imagine the normal edition is the usual price.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 22:24 

This again? Almost all Xbox games have an RRP of £50, remember. So this is +£5 over the normal price, not +£15.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 22:35 
Chinny chin chin

I have Fifa 10. It's a curious game. It's not bad but it's not much fun either. It's also not far different from the Fifa 04 I have on my PS2. Go figure.

The problem is that Sensi has ruined all other football games because I want them to be that fun. What's more I always feel cheated by Fifa yet when Sensi beats me the horrible truth is its my own fault if you see what I mean.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 23:49 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Football games lost their way the minute they all had to include all the real teams and names. Boooring.

Sadly, FPS games have gone much the same way - how many times have you used an M4 in a game now, do you reckon? 50? 80?

Yawn yawn yawn.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:06 
SavyGamer

Tesco are doing it for £27.60 on ps3, probably on 360 too (no listing yet).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:18 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
This again? Almost all Xbox games have an RRP of £50, remember. So this is +£5 over the normal price, not +£15.

:boots: :DD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:20 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

If they bring back 10v10 and the hive mind welcomes the return, I'd be in like Flynn. Other than that, I'm unlikely to buy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:21 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Football games lost their way when they spent 50% of the budget working on celebration techniques, spins and twists and character creation and not on the AI.

I played a football game once where I am sure you could press a button and you would send a player you aren't controlling on a run so you could then play the through ball (Not Wii pro evo); any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:23 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Bobbyaro wrote:
Football games lost their way when they spent 50% of the budget working on celebration techniques, spins and twists and character creation and not on the AI.

I played a football game once where I am sure you could press a button and you would send a player you aren't controlling on a run so you could then play the through ball (Not Wii pro evo); any ideas?

PES 3?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:30 
Participant in dramatic games

fifa 11 bored me, after 9 the series has goes down for me

pes 2011 was excellent though..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:44 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:

PES 3?

Maybe, I don't know, it was a good feature, so I am surprised if it was pes, as it isn't in anymore (is it?)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:51 

It was ISS 64, fools! The greatest football game EVER.

You can actually still do that in FIFA these days by holding the left bumper. It'll send a player on a run, but make sure you release it before you press the through ball button otherwise you'll play a lofted through ball.

But yeah, I'm also surprised/disappointed that PES didn't pick it up considering ISS was its predecessor. It did make through balls a little too potent in ISS, though, so I can sort of see why. FIFA's solution is pretty decent because it's not quite as overpowered, but it still does essentially the same thing.

And by far my biggest beef with PES 11 is the lack of players making appropriate runs whilst you're moving forward with the ball. You can make your players more likely to make runs for through balls in the tactical settings, but that's nowhere near as good as having the ability to make players run on the fly in-game. Apparently PES 12 will address this issue, but whether they're just improving the AI by making them run more often, or giving it a dedicated button, hasn't been announced.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:53 

Fifa 12 eh? Fuck that. Euro 2008 was brilliant because the Be A Pro mode was something a bit different - something the genre really needed (I know Fifa 08 had it but that wasn't very fleshed out).

Fifa 09 was good but I'd played enough Euro 2008 to get bored of it by the time 09 showed up. I maxed 09 and bought 10 but by then I just couldn't be arsed with. Avoided 11. Tried PES2011. It was capable enough but so very dull.

That's the problem. It's just so dull now. Fifa 12 is making a big deal about player collisions and improved AI. I bet this'll be barely noticeable in actual play. It'll still play the same. AI will make the same runs. Your basic methods of scoring will remain the same. Online pricks will still baffle your keeper by squaring the ball.

It's like when you first watch a hi-def movie. It looks amazing for a few minutes and then you no longer notice the difference.

Every PES game said the same bollocks about improved AI etc but all these games need is more modes. I'd buy Fifa 12 if it had a proper 5-a-side mode and maybe some training challenge mini-games like the early PES games. Maybe.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:59 
Unpossible!

I am now completely unable to play either Fifa or PES as there are too many controls. I can cope with it in other games, but for some reason, football games are now the worst kind of mental torture for me. After 5 minutes with FIFA 10, I had a to go and have a lie down and then an hour of SWOS to reset.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:06 

Heh.

Whilst I agree a bit with Blucey, I'll still be getting at least one of them this year like an idiot. I really enjoyed PES 11, although it's mightily flawed, and I'm hoping 12 will be better. FIFA has pretty much plateaued at this point, but I don't seem to be able to resist the updated rosters and stuff... All I want from FIFA is a menu system that isn't dog slow, for the matchmaking system to not kick you back to the bottom of said menu system after you finish (or even worse fail to find) a game, and for the aforementioned "square ball in front of the keeper" trick to be nerfed to oblivion. Then it'd be pretty much spot on. PES is a slightly different beast, as it always was, and is thankfully looking like it's finally heading in the right direction. Plus it looks prettier than FIFA. Maybe I'll skip it until 2013 and just get FIFA this year - I'll see how the demos play out.

At the end of the day - all of my mates play FIFA/PES and I have to keep up to compete/play with them online, so I'm pretty much consigned to buying at least one of the fuckers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:10 

WTB wrote:
Heh.All I want from FIFA is a menu system that isn't dog slow,

They are apparently sorting that out and simplifying it in 12.

I played a bit of Fifa 10 over the weekend and the menus are unbearable.

That said, I think the menus are accessing something online. When we did the 1000 people online achv on NBA07, the main menu was lagging to horrible fuck.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:18 

Yeah they're constantly fondling the EA servers for no good reason. But I think that's combined with them being rendered in the fucking Crysis 2 engine or something. I really hope they sort it out. PES' menu system is so quick and painless it makes FIFA's look like a fucking joke. I mean, look at the CoD games - their menu system is the absolute pinnacle of responsiveness and they're constantly communicating with the web, so it's perfectly reasonable to expect EA to make less of a ham fist of it. The cunts. That'd really make me want to play FIFA more often.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:48 

and just rethink the way it operates.. i don't want a friendly, i want a cup final when i play.. i want it to remember my last teams (pes 9 did this, why not 11).. if i make a online league like ours, i want it to be accessible from the first screen, not everytime trying to remember where it is hidden..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 22:33 
Worst

chinnyhill10 wrote:
I have Fifa 10. It's a curious game. It's not bad but it's not much fun either.

Yeah. I've got FIFA 11. It's fine. But I have no urge to ever play it again, and I didn't get that far to begin with.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 23:13 
Excellent Member

DavPaz wrote:
I am now completely unable to play either Fifa or PES as there are too many controls. I can cope with it in other games, but for some reason, football games are now the worst kind of mental torture for me. After 5 minutes with FIFA 10, I had a to go and have a lie down and then an hour of SWOS to reset.

Im fairly sure there is an option in Fifa where you can play it with just two buttons. ie pass/shoot I dont know how or if this works as I havent tried it, but it might help people of the older generation.

Also, for me PES is always more fun when playing 1v1 offline but for everything else I prefer Fifa.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 22:37 

Bobbyaro wrote:
FIFA, from at least 09 onwards.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:57 
Excellent Member

myoptikakaka wrote:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-03-fifa-12-rrp-is-GBP54-99

I wonder if the supermarkets will have their annual war? I haven't bought one since 09, so was tempted this year.

Hey is this true that Fifa 12 is just for 54Euro. Is it true?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:24 

if this is a spambot it's in interesting on, deducting 1 from 55, changing pounds to euros...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:07 

I bought FIFA '10 the other week for the princely sum of £1.49.

Why anyone would pay full price for it, I don't know ;) Just wait a year!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:09 
Slightly Brackish

GazChap wrote:

I think some people like playing online, so waiting isn't really an option in the case of FIFA...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:13 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

romanista wrote:
if this is a spambot it's in interesting on, deducting 1 from 55, changing pounds to euros...

Almost none of our spambots are actually bots.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:36 
Time Out for Fun

GazChap wrote:

Or two years in your case.

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]