Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ] 
 Post subject: A thread about threads that people want threads of
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 
lazy eye patch

Hi! This is 'A thread about threads that people want threads of'. If this were a play with a cheeky alternative title, it might be called 'Put Up or Shut Up'.

Please feel free to discuss here the kind of threads and stuff that you would like to see more of, the kind of threads that you would like to see less of. Please note however that any suggestions such as 'More on games and stuff' are useless, being neither specific or indicating how many more there need be. And obviously 'and stuff' is just silly.

There have been previous attempts to engender such conversation, so there may be mention below of Topic Icons and/or a Cookery Sub-Forum, in some fashion. I mention this so any cries of 'Bezzie Elitism!' can be stamped out now, with a resounding cry of 'No, You Just Weren't Here, What, Do You Think The World Stops For You, Or Something? Get Over Yourself!' Obviously, this doesn't specifically relate to anyone or anything, so saying 'Oi, is that about me?!??' will just make you look silly, precious, and guilty.

It would be nice to keep this one on-topic if possible. Whelks are available next door.

So, to recap: this is 'A thread about threads that people want threads of'. I think that is sufficiently non-cryptic but if silly ol' CUS has been wascally wabbit again with his kerrazy bollocks, then let me know and I shall engage MSPaint in providing some kind of comic book representation of this.

Right, I think that's everything, there's nothing left to say but go, go thread discussion!

Post subject: Re: A thread about threads that people want threads of
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:40 
Goth

I don't necessarily think the forum is lacking particular threads but it seems that the atmosphere of this forum is much less sensible than on WOSF. It seems to me that since the harsh overlord has been erm.. fled from, there has been far more threads with mayhem and image replies. I don't really care that much as I wasn't a huge contributer to WOSF anyway and I still contribute here where things interest me. It's just somehow it seems like people are indulging in things here specifically because Stu wouldn't have liked it. Look basically I want you all to be miserable and totally serious all the time, ok? WE'LL HAVE NO FUN AND FRIVOLITY HERE, CITIZEN.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:27 

Tits thread, or tits and arse thread.

A thread about MMOs and Civs and Sims and stuff so's I never have to read about them.

A thread slagging off people who post on other forums.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:01 
Best
Board Mother

Goatboy wrote:
A thread slagging off people who post on other forums.

Won't that be all of us then?

Hello, I'm GJ and I post on other forums.

*sits down*

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:03 

Undiscovered gem games. Although not a single thread. A thread for each gem.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:04 
lazy eye patch

Go on then. Sounds good. Review Warh

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:09 

Yeah I'll do it later. I've got SEO to do!

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:14 

I can't help but think that if people want these threads to exist then they should go forth and make such threads, rather than just say that they'd like to have these threads in this thread. Underthread what I mean, Thread?

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:02 

Yes, people can start topics here, results in other forums may vary. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:03 
UltraMod

I would like a thread about threads about threads that people want threads of.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:05 
lazy eye patch

But doesn't everyone think that it'd be all so much easier and nicer if we just all said 'Sorry' to Stuart, and went back to WoS and promised to not post anything off-topic (unless it's interesting) or funny (unless it is funny) or non-games related (unless it's about Parcelforce or Labour or Scotland or...)? If he'd be good enough to let us all, that is. Come on everyone, we've made our point, now let's stop arsing around and be nice.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:06 
Excellent Member

I don't care, I've just got excited that at some point I'll be able to say, "Thanks CUS, thUS," Look Around You stylee.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:07 
Excellent Member

I think once the reviews become visible, there will be a lot of good threads discussing those. Any news on when we might be able to read / discuss them?

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:08 
UltraMod

Ask Gaywood.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:11 
Sleepyhead

Good point, AndyB. I think that a site of some form going 'live' would certainly engender discussions and stuff.

I do think we have some good threads for sensible discussion. We've had some good cookery stuff, we've got a regular photography thread (with some great entries this fortnight, go look, peoples!) and so on.

I'm perfectly happy to engage in sensible debate/discourse/discussion, but I'm not sure what people are interested in (not cricket, evidently, as that has sunk without a single reply).

I could go and find a blogger to attack if that'd help?

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:13 

CUS wrote:
But doesn't everyone think that it'd be all so much easier and nicer if we just all said 'Sorry' to Stuart, and went back to WoS and promised to not post anything off-topic (unless it's interesting) or funny (unless it is funny) or non-games related (unless it's about Parcelforce or Labour or Scotland or...)? If he'd be good enough to let us all, that is. Come on everyone, we've made our point, now let's stop arsing around and be nice.

Given he just banned me (and presumably you) purely for bumping a topic where he'd ignored a question from a member about the profile restrictions, no.

And he thinks he's different than Bruce. Bless.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:19 
lazy eye patch

Dudley wrote:
Given he just banned me (and presumably you) purely for bumping a topic where he'd ignored a question from a member about the profile restrictions, no.

Oh, so that's what you were asking about. I understand now. I can certainly understand why he'd see that as antagonistic, you er, reminding him that he never did answer the original question. We're not banned though (or at least, I'm not), just gagged. Anyway, tch, enough about that rubbish forum, let's talk about this one. Oh no teh wordpaly etc.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:20 
Gogmagog

Needs more general praise thrown in my direction.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:22 

We should have a praise MaliA thread.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:24 

CUS wrote:
Dudley wrote:

Oh, so that's what you were asking about. I understand now. I can certainly understand why he'd see that as antagonistic, you er, reminding him that he never did answer the original question. We're not banned though (or at least, I'm not), just gagged. Anyway, tch, enough about that rubbish forum, let's talk about this one. Oh no teh wordpaly etc.

The difference is somewhat academic since, as freeloading parasites, our non-posting abilities appear identical to that of "Guest".

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:33 

He just banned you, Duds? Ferchrissakes.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:43 

Well as CUS pointed out, technically just stopped us posting.

I suspect the only reason that thread still exists is he knows I have a copy, he clearly had no intention of answering that question, I saw him browse it on the member list a couple of days ago and ignore it completely.

Given he's now a paid mod (he's certainly not been writing anything), then surely a gentle customer service reminder wouldn't go amiss...

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:46 
What-ho, chaps!

We all have a copy

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:48 

I don't see why you don't just give it up there, Dudley. He keeps banning you, I think you are just incompatible. Come to the cuddly forum.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:50 

I meant of the profiles question thread.

That "copy" is sadly still massively incomplete and was taken after some major pruning both by Stu and I suspect whomever made it because the real thread was much much longer.

Quote:
I don't see why you don't just give it up there, Dudley. He keeps banning you, I think you are just incompatible. Come to the cuddly forum.

Because there are people on there who are wonderful, and some other misguided people who actually believe his rot about being fair and never deleting, and not bearing grudges on people who don't conform to Stu-think.

Why does Stu hound Bruce (apart from the fact they're long lost twins)? I dislike being silenced for daring to think different than a self-elected authority figure and I especially hate that a deliberate petty attempt to stop people talking to their friends was gotten-away with. I was hoping that my plan of never replying to him would stop the arguments but he apparently wishes to go out of his way to start trouble.

I won't turn down hugs though.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:53 
What-ho, chaps!

Really? I took it myself about an hour after the thread was locked (s'why you're 'logged in' as me), and I don't remember there being any massive omissions (or any of value, at least). It might look a bit different to yours because I increased the page length so I could save it faster.

Oh a different thread right. Ah.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:58 
lazy eye patch

Quote:
sausageandbun wrote:
Well to be honest it'll be nice to read a thread that doesn't have a petty dig in it.

RevStu wrote:
That's exactly the size of it.

Yeah, that's what they do at World of CUS!

RevHypocriticalEthicsFreeWanker, more like.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:02 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Dudley wrote:
Because there are people on there who are wonderful, and some other misguided people who actually believe his rot about being fair and never deleting, and not bearing grudges on people who don't conform to Stu-think.

A lot of those wonderful people decided not to 'join usssss' because of the amount of Stu-bashing that was going on at WoB.
I'm not saying you can't continue it here (I think they've made up their mind by now), I just ask that you to choose your words carefully.
Ta.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:04 

MrD wrote:
Really? I took it myself about an hour after the thread was locked (s'why you're 'logged in' as me), and I don't remember there being any massive omissions (or any of value, at least). It might look a bit different to yours because I increased the page length so I could save it faster.

Oh a different thread right. Ah.

Ah, so maybe it is complete.

I know it's post Stu editing though, there's more than one of my posts completely missing, most notably the first one where I pointed out charging purely for the forum (which was the plan then) was against the terms and he responded (his words) "Perfectly politely", with "I'm not even fucking arguing".

Still, yes I've had this version since the start, it's still valueable.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:05 

Grim... wrote:
Dudley wrote:

A lot of those wonderful people decided not to 'join usssss' because of the amount of Stu-bashing that was going on at WoB.
I'm not saying you can't continue it here (I think they've made up their mind by now), I just ask that you to choose your words carefully.
Ta.

I see nothing wrong or debatable in that specific quote but point taken. That said, given the actions this morning I'm not sure it's possible to "bash" as such.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:10 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Dudley wrote:
I see nothing wrong or debatable in that specific quote but point taken.

Not saying you did, but ta.

/cuddles

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:12 
lazy eye patch

Grim... wrote:
Ta.

By the way, nice comment in wishing you could have send myself (and Dudley) there, from here. Ironically, I've repeatedly wished lately that I could be on there but not here, so we'd both have been happy. :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:15 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Damn that Stuart!

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:07 
Awesome
Yes

Is it possible to have threads not descend into the fact that we all hate Stu's actions?

I was quite happy when CUS started that Stu thread, because it meant people could pour all their vitriol into one convenient place, without it spilling over into other threads.

Yes, we know he's been an ass, and even I like nothing more than to laugh at the poor singleton, but not in every thread. One was enough. Plus it was easy to check their for Stu-baiting hilarity and easily ignored by those others that don't want that sort of thing.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:09 
UltraMod

Wot Russ said.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:15 
lazy eye patch

Mr Russ wrote:
Is it possible to have threads not descend into the fact that we all hate Stu's actions?

I was quite happy when CUS started that Stu thread, because it meant people could pour all their vitriol into one convenient place, without it spilling over into other threads.

That was the thinking behind it. Given that it's seemingly inevitably going to reoccur every so often, this... vexation. That way people could ignore it, knowing it was safely contained. At the time, everyone else felt that it was inviting danger, which is a fairly understandable viewpoint.

In any case, this certainly isn't being a thread about threads. That people want threads of.

edit: although, obviously "we all hate Stu's actions" is an exaggeration, and no actual baiting is intended. Really, and everything. From me, anyway.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:20 
Awesome
Yes

But I *do* want a Stu-hate thread. It would clean up the forum loads.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:22 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Russ wrote:

I don't think it's got that bad, to be honest.
If you want a thread, I guess you could create one.

Or just use this one.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:22 

Mr Russ wrote:

Yes, we know he's been an ass, and even I like nothing more than to laugh at the poor singleton, but not in every thread. One was enough. Plus it was easy to check their for Stu-baiting hilarity and easily ignored by those others that don't want that sort of thing.

It's happened about twice ever.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:23 
Gogmagog

I don't really GAF about Stu at all.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:24 
Awesome
Yes

Ulp.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:29 

I think that the problem with Stu's forum was that it was all about Stuart and what he had done, and that seems to be the problem with some parts of this forum, too. I think, Dudley, that you will probably never get along with Stu - I think that you are (rightfully) resentful of what he said to people, the way he ran things and how he has treated you. Likewise, CUS. However, I think it is time to move on to 'World Without Stuart'. He's banned you for the umpteenth time, I guess it is time to perhaps take the hint that it is not the place for you, and, instead, stick around here where you are appreciated for your opinions and ideas, and where you can get cuddles.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:37 

Wait, where is this place that CUS is appreciated, I must have missed it?

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:38 
UltraMod

It's a figment of his own imagination.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:42 
lazy eye patch

Ha! So you ADMIT I have an imagination!

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:44 
UltraMod

No, you just imagined that.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:45 
Gogmagog

myoptika wrote:
No, you just imagined that.

THEN THERE'S THE RINGING! FOLLOWED BY THE VOICES!

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:48 

Joans wrote:
Wait, where is this place that CUS is appreciated, I must have missed it?

That bit was aimed solely at Dudley :hat:

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:48 
Sleepyhead

w/r/t threads and stuff, it's a fine line of balance between too few and too many. For people who post on other super-busy forums, ours might seem pedestrian and having far too few topics. For others who prefer a more sedate pace to frumming and like to be able to read everything that might interest them, there might be too many threads about whelks.

All I know is that I wouldn't want someone not creating a thread because someone might hit them as it was discussed elsewhere in a thread about, say, whelks.

In summation, everyone should post interesting topics.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:56 
lazy eye patch

All I know is that I've tried creating every different kind of thread I can think of, in different 'tones', and I've been called a cunt almost every time now, so I'm All Out Of Ideas. I'm looking forward to see what Moora has for us.

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]