All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: C64 Gaming Challenge
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 14:36 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Okay following on from all the C64 love in this thread here :

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7444

I'll pull together a set of C64 games and emulators to run a "C64 Gaming Challenge"

The suggested games so far :

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Action Biker
B.C. II: Grog's Revenge
Barbarian
BC's Quest for Tires
Blue Max
Boulder Dash
Bruce Lee
Buggy Boy
Burger Time
Burnin' Rubber
Crazy Comets
Crossroads/Crossroads 2
Dig Dug
Dino Eggs
Donkey Kong
Drelbs
Encounter
Falcon Patrol
Falcon Patrol 2
Flip & Flop
Forbidden Forest
Frantic Freddie
Frogger
Gridrunner
Gunship
Gyruss
H.E.R.O
Hellgate
Hideous Bill and the Gi-Gants
High Noon
IK+
Ikari Warriors
Impossible Mission
International Karate
Jr. Pacman
Jumpman
Jumpman Jr
Kickstart 2
Laserzone
Mario Bros
Master of the Lamps
Matrix
Mega Apocalypse
Mr. Robot and his Robot Factory
Ms. Pacman
Night Mission
Oils Well
P.O.D.
Paradroid
Parallax
Paratroopers
Park Patrol
Pooyan
Popeye
Poster Paster
Qbert
Raid on Bungeling Bay
Rock'n Bolt
Sanxion
Save New York
Sentinel
Space Taxi
Split Personalities
Super Pipeline
Super Pipeline 2
The Last V8
The Way of the Exploding Fist
Uridium
Voidrunner
Wizard of Wor
Wizball
Zamzara
Zaxxon
Zolyx

I've tried to remove any dupes or games which don't really work as a competition , if you have anything that should be added or removed let me know and I'll change it around otherwise I will randomly (*) select some games bundle up an emulator and the images (for Windows - sorry Mac people I will include links and the games themselves separately) you'll have a week to play the game and post your highest score in the thread.

I will post basic instructions on getting the games going , and how to play so even if you've never some of these you will be able to take part.

(*) I will randomly pick a few but will try to avoid dupes of genres and will test each one to make sure it works , that it has a high score table you can get onto or a way to have your last score stay visible for long enough to grab.

If this is successful then I can do the same for various other platforms in the future (or we could have another MAME / 8-bit challenge) , and if its not and you'd like to try playing some old games on a more regular basis you could just visit The Retro League : http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/index/ where Season 23 is just finishing but your welcome to drop in.

Post subject: Re: C64 Gaming Challenge
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 17:39 
Hello Hello Hello

I'd be up for this but only for relatively arcadey games that don't take too long to play and/or we can have specific challenges at.

If you're providing the 'emulator + game pack' for example, maybe Stunt Car Racer where we have to try and get the best time on one track, that sort of thing.

Basically, something along the lines of the MAME challenge, I certainly wouldn't want to be playing games that can last for 30 minutes a go.

Also, it'd be cool to see Delta in there, be interested to see if I still got DA SKILLZ I had back in the day, by christ that game was ruthless.

Just my 2p's worth :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 18:30 
Bad Girl

Seen as the C64 is the only emulator I've ever managed to get going and work with my retarded knowledge of pooters I'd be up for it. Provided we play The Last Ninja. Ok, it doesn't have a score or nowt, so as long as we all listen to the music on The Gardens level and appreciate it as a work of genius. It's art crammed into a measly amount of, um, bits, people!

Definately love to play Delta since a typical game lasted about 10 seconds. I wonder if it's so brutal after all these years.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 18:50 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I shall be up for this... if this thread is to register peoples interest that is?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 19:54 
8-Bit Champion

TheVision wrote:
I shall be up for this... if this thread is to register peoples interest that is?

No that was in the other thread :-) - this is more the announcement that it'll be happening and if you have any titles which you think absolutely must be included.

(FOUND TLN - for those of you who remember the tape loader for it) / The Last Ninja is a game which doesn't really work in this type of scenario , however I will include it with the packs and instructions on how to get it going so people can play with it as they want (in fact I may make that a separate challenge - running the whole thing - who can still finish it - i remember some very tricky parts at the end) - in the same way I think i would include The Last V8 with instructions on how to start it up and just leave it running for the music and speech but its far too brutal to be part of the challenge if you want to have someone who's never really used a C64 try it

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 21:53 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I'm not reading... (checks)... oh, 3 pages.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 21:59 
Isn't that lovely?

The way it's worked in the past (on the other challeneges) is to just post your high scores (or whatnot) as you get them, no need to pre-register or anyting, I don't know if this is going to be different but I hope not, as I would sign up, but I often run out of time to actually do the challenges :(

I never had a c64 (cpc464 to A500 here) so don't really know what to expect, but will have a go if I get the chance...

Malc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 22:28 
8-Bit Champion

Malc wrote:
The way it's worked in the past (on the other challeneges) is to just post your high scores (or whatnot) as you get them, no need to pre-register or anyting,

Same for this - post when you can - if you only play one week then post the score that week

In other news I have just finished the first level of The Last Ninja , didnt lose any lives to the swamp but one to the enemies (too out of practice at the fighting part) and it took me all 3 of my smoke bombs to get past the dragon but i got it :-)

Anyway - that works - and despite it looking not that great now i'll have it as a bonus for anyone who remembers it - i'm sure i could probably finish it now if it spend the time to do it.

Behind the spoiler tags in the first post are the suggested games - get any others added in here and i'll sort things out at the weekend to kick off on Monday.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 22:32 
Chinny chin chin

zaphod79 wrote:
n the same way I think i would include The Last V8 with instructions on how to start it up and just leave it running for the music and speech but its far too brutal to be part of the challenge if you want to have someone who's never really used a C64 try it

The Last V8 might be amusing to see if anyone can do it. It's curiously addictive.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 22:42 
8-Bit Champion

chinnyhill10 wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
n the same way I think i would include The Last V8 with instructions on how to start it up and just leave it running for the music and speech but its far too brutal to be part of the challenge if you want to have someone who's never really used a C64 try it

The Last V8 might be amusing to see if anyone can do it. It's curiously addictive.

I remember being able to do quite a bit of it - let me give it a try - the big problem was always the first turn :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 22:54 
Chinny chin chin

zaphod79 wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:

I remember being able to do quite a bit of it - let me give it a try - the big problem was always the first turn :-)

I'M TRYING NOW!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 22:56 
8-Bit Champion

zaphod79 wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:

Yeah - very rusty - but down to 2.0km to go after a few tries - i'm sure i could do a few levels of it with a bit of practice , there were also some shortcuts if i could just remember where they were

Attachment:
20km.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 19:38 
Participant in dramatic games

ah blue max, lovely
i'll try to be in

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 21:05 
Chinny chin chin

I spent 10 minutes playing The Last V8. It is shit and its down to the controls and the input lag. If the car handled like Supercars it wouldn't be a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:47 
8-Bit Champion

chinnyhill10 wrote:
I spent 10 minutes playing The Last V8. It is shit and its down to the controls and the input lag. If the car handled like Supercars it wouldn't be a problem.

The Zzap review of it here http://www.zzap64.co.uk/fullissues/zzap ... gbsfqf.jpg

TLDR nice graphics / great sound / uncontrollable

However , if i've paid £2.99 for a game I cant just put it on , find out the controls are crap and not do anything else , so back in the day I persevered - and i tried again today only to figure out my previous screenshot is right at the end of level 1 , you just turned that corner to enter the building , level 2 starts with a really looooong straight followed by a 90' turn , so you need to go fast to save any time , and then make a 90' turn which means basically stopping.

Still at least you got one more line of speech (avoid radioactive zones) - this is what the first turn looks like on level 2

Attachment:
LASTV8.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]