Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: World of Warcraft goes free-to-play
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 23:53 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
Do we still need to have 10 players to setup a guild, or have they made guild setup less restrictive these days?

You still need 10 signatures to establish a guild, although that's generally no problem if you offer up 10G per sign-up in the general chat channel. (Tell them upfront it's purely to get the guild established and that they'll get kicked as soon as it's created, they just want the 10G :))

One of our guildies set up a couple of extra 'guilds' in this manner just to get the free bank tabs for his alts :D

But yes, if you've got a new character on a server and no connections, you're gonna have to get 10 signatures somehow to get a new guild founded.

(If we're looking at having a proper crack with a BEEX guild, I'm happy to realm-switch to the realm of choice with one of my high level chars to get some cash available, if only just to get the required signatures to establish the guild.)

I do like the idea of 'no twinking' for all new characters in a guild, it's all too easy to pimp out alts if you have 85s to feed them heirlooms and cash and items etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:09 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

My character is in a PvP area, I did choose "normal" but for some reason it ignored that. Am I just going to get mugged by bandits as soon as I step out of the noPvP area?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:27 
ugvm'er at heart...

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
I do like the idea of 'no twinking' for all new characters in a guild, it's all too easy to pimp out alts if you have 85s to feed them heirlooms and cash and items etc.

The only thing I would want is bag space. The early levels are too painful to play otherwise, as you need to scrimp together cash and items to sell, but at the same time have nowhere to keep them...

So it might be useful to have someone with a bit of cash around to setup the guild and hand out some large bags, but other than that it would be fun to play with what we find, I think :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:32 
Unpossible!

'Twink' is a silly word.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:37 
Gogmagog

Curiosity wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Has someone set up another Eve that's nowhere near as good for everyone to go to?

Griefing+

<interested>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:43 
ugvm'er at heart...

DavPaz wrote:
'Twink' is a silly word.

It is indeed, I find it mildly strange how the gaming community have taken such a word to heart, they are usually not the most all encompassing group when it comes to homosexuality...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 18:08 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
The only thing I would want is bag space. The early levels are too painful to play otherwise, as you need to scrimp together cash and items to sell, but at the same time have nowhere to keep them...

So it might be useful to have someone with a bit of cash around to setup the guild and hand out some large bags, but other than that it would be fun to play with what we find, I think :D

The game is much friendlier when it comes to bags at the early levels now, it'll generally give you a couple of 6-8 slot bags from early questing/drops, and pad it out from there. On top of that, there are far more vendors/repairers around the place, which makes it much easier to vendor the crap.

That said, you're still better off just getting four Netherweave Bags on a new character ASAP and being done with it :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:59 

"You have been disconnected from the server" - mostly.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:07 
Hello Hello Hello

GovernmentYard wrote:
"You have been disconnected from the server" - mostly.

That's odd, disconnects are, generally speaking, extremely rare in WoW. (Their side of things is pretty rock-solid, as you can imagine the player base is somewhat unforgiving of disconnects when all it takes is for one key player to get a disconnect at an inopportune moment to wipe a 25-man raid.)

If you're getting a lot of disconnects it can point to a problem with your internet connection and/or local network - certainly the players I've known who had disconnect problems have tended to have issues on their side of things that often they've never been aware of. (Wireless would be my first suspect, do you play wired or wireless? Do you have your internet connection to yourself or does it get hammered by other devices/people too?)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:23 

Sorted with a server reboot. Can I move a character from one server to another. I've rolled one and got to level five but my mate is on a different server...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:28 
ugvm'er at heart...

You can move, but it costs £15 to do it!

for a L5 I would just play that half an hour again... :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:34 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
You can move, but it costs £15 to do it!

for a L5 I would just play that half an hour again... :D

:this:

Not sure realm transfer is supported on the free accounts anyway, and the character has to be above L10 IIRC anyway.

It cost me £75 to move all my high level characters to our current server when we decided to go PvP :'(

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 14:19 

You see, this is what attracted me to Eve. I'll start again. I've got 2 main mates on WoW though, two different yet identical servers. It's really, really stupid.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 14:28 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Tried to log in to the Warcraft website to have a look at my account (long dormant as I stopped playing just after the release of Burning Crusade) and it says I need to create a 'Battle.net' account. When did this happen?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 14:52 
ugvm'er at heart...

Morte wrote:
Tried to log in to the Warcraft website to have a look at my account (long dormant as I stopped playing just after the release of Burning Crusade) and it says I need to create a 'Battle.net' account. When did this happen?

About a year ago :D

If anbody wants to party up, I have just started a Horde priest on Draenor, but I also have a lod of Alliance characters on Terenas.

Equally, i'm happy starting from scratch somewhere else, so I we do want to do this and get a Beex guild together, it would probably make sense for us to play on the same server at least... ;)

Where is everyone else?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 15:01 

I'm going to install the client now. I'm certainly interested in some sort of Beex gathering, although I cannot promise particularly strong involvement from me. Someone needs to straight-up tell me which server and which faction I should be playing as for meetup fun!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 15:06 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

GovernmentYard wrote:
You see, this is what attracted me to Eve. I'll start again. I've got 2 main mates on WoW though, two different yet identical servers. It's really, really stupid.

It's a daft barrier for sure, but WoW's world isn't big enough to house the several million subscribers, and it's probably an awful lot more difficult to generate/develop new zones than it is for Eve. The server splits are a necessary evil.

That said, instanced parts of the game are cross-server — it's only the outside game world that's limited to people on the same physical realm.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 15:08 

Malabelm wrote:
It's a daft barrier for sure, but WoW's world isn't big enough to house the several million subscribers, and it's probably an awful lot more difficult to generate/develop new zones than it is for Eve. The server splits are a necessary evil.
Sure, there's technical reasons for sharding, but that doesn't mean they have to charge swingeing fees for server moves. That's just profiteering.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 15:27 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Sure, there's technical reasons for sharding, but that doesn't mean they have to charge swingeing fees for server moves. That's just profiteering.

It certainly is. I can't argue with that.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 15:47 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Quite. $15 for "Insert into....."?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 15:49 
Comfortably Dumb

Craster wrote:
$15 for "Insert into....."?

...shortly afterwards, Craster was laughed out of the red light district.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 15:49 
Paws for thought

Given the company in question, I'm surprised it isn't more.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 15:50 
Comfortably Dumb

Is there much fun to be had in single-player in WoW? I like to play this kind of game at my own pace so it's usually alone, but I'd give it a miss if it's multiplayer-focused.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 16:09 
ugvm'er at heart...

devilman wrote:
Is there much fun to be had in single-player in WoW? I like to play this kind of game at my own pace so it's usually alone, but I'd give it a miss if it's multiplayer-focused.

Sure, I spent years as a predominantly solo player, only teaming up for instances.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 16:10 

devilman wrote:

Plenty.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 16:11 
ugvm'er at heart...

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I'm going to install the client now. I'm certainly interested in some sort of Beex gathering, although I cannot promise particularly strong involvement from me. Someone needs to straight-up tell me which server and which faction I should be playing as for meetup fun!

I'm going to take the executive decision, as no-one seems to want to, and say Horde faction on the Draenor PvE server :)

Shout now people if you want somewhere else.

My Tauren Priest is called Moolly if you want to talk to him :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 16:11 
Comfortably Dumb

Trooper wrote:
devilman wrote:

Sure, I spent years as a predominantly solo player, only teaming up for instances.

I'd rather hoped there wasn't so I don't get addicted to it. ;) I'll give it a go once my workload dies down a bit... cheers :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 16:22 
ugvm'er at heart...

So, it has taken me 4 hours to get to L10 with my Tauren Priest.

Bags are no longer an issue, i've had half a dozen 6 slot bags drop while questing.
I've spent a good hour or so of that 4 hours, playing about with addons to get things back to the way I was used to. The base client is actually really good these days, but there are still a load of things extra I like.

A quick rundown for the newbies:
Titan panel : give you a load more information on a couple of small bars on the screen, not at all necessary but I like it.
TipTac : gives you more info in the tooltip, and allows you to move it to somewhere sensible on the screen. Pretty much essential if you have a large monitor I think.
Healbot : I like to play as a healer, and this makes life so much easier, allocates different heals to different mouse clicks when you select a member of your party. If you want to be a healer, it is almost a necessity for larger instances and battlegrounds.
Gatherer : Shows on the minimap the location of nodes for gathering professions. Essential.
Bagnon : takes all your separate bags and puts it into one big bag, not essential, but I can't be without it.
Auctioneer : tells you how much everything is worth on the auction house, plus loads of other stuff. Essential.

I use Curse to get and manage all my addons...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 16:38 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
I'm going to take the executive decision, as no-one seems to want to, and say Horde faction on the Draenor PvE server :)

What's the population like there Trooper?

My main gripe with Frostwhisper is the awful Alliance population, not only does it make PvP out in the open world a bit one-sided, the Alliance cities are dreadfully empty.

Even Stormwind isn't that busy, and if you go to Ironforge you can quite literally be the only other 'real person' in the entire city.

I'm definitely in agreement on:

1) Horde
2) PvE

But there needs to be a good Horde population for the game to feel alive.

I'll roll a char there now and take a look :)

If it looks like we're gonna get a few BEEXers playing this I'll realm-switch one of my 85s over, get a guild going, and chuck a load of bags in the guild bank for folks to help themselves. (Also a wedge of gold so everyone can start out with 100G or suchlike if they want to.)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 16:52 
Hello Hello Hello

It's a face only a mother could love :D

I've rolled an undead warrior called 'Beex', apparently the revamped undead starting zone is pretty cool.

As a warrior I'll be able to tank or DPS should we ever get as far as instancing, since Trooper's said he likes healing.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 16:53 

Trooper wrote:
Duly noted.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 17:02 
ugvm'er at heart...

Trooper wrote:

It says high population, but I haven't got out of the Tauren starting area to see yet :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 17:06 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
Trooper wrote:

It says high population, but I haven't got out of the Tauren starting area to see yet :D

EDIT - I was being a total :belm: - so ignore this shite post :)

Ack, WoW census says Horde outnumbered 3.3:1 on Draenor :nerd:

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/census.ph ... rtypeid=-1

I hope you like being the underdog!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 17:12 

What difference does that make on a PvE server?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 17:16 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
What difference does that make on a PvE server?

Functionally none to the game itself as you can never be attacked by the enemy faction unless you deliberately flag yourself for PvP. (Except in enemy cities where you are automatically flagged for PvP, but the game will never require you to go those.)

It can make battlegrounds and suchlike very unbalanced and not much fun though, as even on PvE servers, there are voluntary PvP events.

Also, factions with low populations tend to have shite auction houses, so it can be hard to sell stuff, and to buy what you want/need.

On top of that, it can tend to feel like you're not really playing an MMO, as so many areas will be pretty much deserted.

EDIT - Blizzard are utter bastards with this, even when a server gets really unbalanced and one faction is pretty much knackered (as seems to be the case on Draenor), they'll just leave it as it is and hoover up the cash as people pay to transfer their characters elsewhere, when what they should really do is a free realm migration programme.

EDIT AGAIN - It might not be so bad on Draenor as it's a high pop server, I'm going to roll an Orc and just run him up to Orgrimmar to take a look, that'll tell me at a glance what the Horde pop is like.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 17:23 
Hello Hello Hello

Oh bollocks I'm such a twat I wasn't looking at the EU Draenor, I was looking at the US one :belm:

Here's the correct one - so it looks like we're laughing :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 17:33 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Malabelm wrote:

Absolutely, and this is one area in which I can't defend Blizzard at all, their approach to stuff like this (see also, vanity pets, special mounts, faction switches etc) is positively mercenary.

However, the game itself for £9 per month is fantastic value IMO, just try not to ever have to give them money for anything else.

Also it's worth nothing that Blizzard have NEVER made it possible to buy any sort of game advantage AT ALL with real money. All the stuff you can pay extra for is purely cosmetic.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 17:34 
Hello Hello Hello

Ooohhh Orgrimmar is bloody well rammed, and it'll get a lot busier than this as the evening goes on.

Excellent :DD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 21:01 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Downloading now...given up trying to access my previous account so I'll stick with the free version.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 21:06 
ugvm'er at heart...

Moolly is now up to L13 and about to head to the crossroads :D

Thoroughly enjoying, even though I had a fair amount of problems with disconnects when I was in a busy area. Opened up the relevant ports on the router and it hasn't done it since :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 22:08 
Hello Hello Hello

I got my warrior to Level 7, took longer than I normally would as I didn't have a fecking clue how to get around Undercity and have never quested as undead before either.

I miss my heirloom items somewhat, but it's interesting to have to play the game with no aids as it were, every character I've ever played has been pimped out by my other characters, or in the case of my first character, was given some gold and bags by a chum to help him on his way.

Hopefully a few more BEEXers will come on board and it'll be worth getting a guild set up :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:38 
ugvm'er at heart...

L17 and ready to go into Wailing Caverns :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:00 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:

Did you skip RFC?

Don't forget to run Deadmines as well, that's been given a seriously funky makeover in Cataclysm.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:02 
ugvm'er at heart...

Trooper wrote:

Did you skip RFC?

Always do, by the time I actually get to it, i'm always way past the level...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:19 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Did you skip RFC?

But you can just use the Dungeon Finder as soon as you hit Level 15.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:13 

When do I leave my starting area? I'm level 9 human and I've just got as far as the big city.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:17 
ugvm'er at heart...

Trooper wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Did you skip RFC?

But you can just use the Dungeon Finder as soon as you hit Level 15.

If I remembered, sure :D There always seems to be something else to do very quickly and... boom... L17 has arrived :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:20 
ugvm'er at heart...

GovernmentYard wrote:
When do I leave my starting area? I'm level 9 human and I've just got as far as the big city.

Pretty much now :) The real starting area got you to L6, the secondary starting area which is actually properly in the world gets you to L10ish.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:28 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
If I remembered, sure :D There always seems to be something else to do very quickly and... boom... L17 has arrived :D

Honestly dude, run Deadmines before you level past it, it's one of the finest instances in the game now. As a healer you should be able to specifically queue for that dungeon and not have to wait too long for a group.

Also, it'll give you a sneak-preview of running the brutally hard L85 heroic version of it :ninja:

I'll get on with my warrior sometime today I think, but as far as I can tell it's just me and you who've rolled chars on Draenor up to now......

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:29 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
GovernmentYard wrote:

Pretty much now :) The real starting area got you to L6, the secondary starting area which is actually properly in the world gets you to L10ish.

Yep, also, have a look for the Hero's Call Board in Stormwind, it'll have the standard issue yellow exclamation mark above it and will lead you on into the next main area.

It should send you down to Westfall by the looks of it:

http://www.wowhead.com/zones=0#0+2+1

Reply to topic  [ 566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next