Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 514 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: It's so blatant
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 21:05 
Excellent Member

CraigGrannell wrote:
Mm. I think the people I know in Iceland would argue against that. The country is functional, but its currency lost a massive amount of value, and things that were already expensive there are now fucking astronomically expensive. Chunks of the area around Reykjavik are like building sites, with half-finished houses just abandoned. Unemployment is way up. And ISK might have managed to avoid junk status, but only by the skin of its teeth.

It is still better off than Ireland. Its debt is cheaper, the unemployment rate is less and they have less debt. Simply because they told most of the people that they owed money to to piss off.

This is the same solution that Ireland, Greece et al need. And it is what will happen. However, what is happening now is that the private sector, banks, investment funds, bond holders are ensuring they get paid back first. Once they are satisfied and the only creditors are the taxpayers, then you will see all the defaults.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 22:01 
Gogmagog

Craster wrote:
Quite. It would definitely be a much better idea to allow Greece to default, instantly ensuring that it becomes totally incapable of ever again operating at a deficit, costing the banks and sovereign nations that have lent it money to lose out on that cash, resulting in probably collapsing financial institutions and thousands of job losses (though not among the bankers, they'll just get jobs elsewhere). The euro would tank against every other currency on the board, plunging the economies of all the eurozone countries through the floor. Once the rest of the world sees that Europe will allow Greece to go, they immediately issue junk status on Portugal, Ireland, and Spain because they'll follow immediately after. Most of europe has barely a functioning economy for the next decade.

Still, the deal's just a ploy to put money in the hands of those greedy bankers, eh?

:this:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:56 
Hello Hello Hello

And now that bloody pinko leftwing rag The Telegraph is at it too.

Erm, hang on..... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... right.html

Quote:
The rich run a global system that allows them to accumulate capital and pay the lowest possible price for labour. The freedom that results applies only to them. The many simply have to work harder, in conditions that grow ever more insecure, to enrich the few. Democratic politics, which purports to enrich the many, is actually in the pocket of those bankers, media barons and other moguls who run and own everything.

Quote:
And when the banks that look after our money take it away, lose it and then, because of government guarantee, are not punished themselves, something much worse happens. It turns out – as the Left always claims – that a system purporting to advance the many has been perverted in order to enrich the few. The global banking system is an adventure playground for the participants, complete with spongy, health-and-safety approved flooring so that they bounce when they fall off. The role of the rest of us is simply to pay.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:36 

CraigGrannell wrote:
And ISK might have managed to avoid junk status, but only by the skin of its teeth.

I didn't realise things in Iceland were so bad they'd turned to space currency.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 17:40 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Mm, there's no reason that banks aren't taking full advantage of this to screw everyone over yet again, even if it is the less damaging course of action for europe as a whole.

But then, that's what they do.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:24 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

This "debt ceiling" thing in the US looks like it make get interesting, although I'm sure it's all just brinkmanship and they'll come to an agreement in time. I mean, there's no way Congress will vote to kick out one of the pillars supporting the entire world economic system, right?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:38 
Excellent Member

No, but considering the Republican Party is now, officially, batshit insane, you never know.

Its weird seeing an entire political party, and a lot of its supporters, actually refusing to acknowledge their opponents right to even exist.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:45 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Frightening, isn't it? As awful as the effective two-party system is in this country, it's terrifying to realise that a lot of Republicans actually seem to want there to be a one-party system in the US.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:47 

Craster wrote:
a lot of Republicans actually seem to want there to be a one-party system in the US.
Mmm, not sure. A lot of Republicans only seem to define themselves as the opposite of whatever the Democrats said last; with no opposition I'm not sure they'd even exist!

Personally, I think Obama should start making public statements like "oxygen is good" or "I like pie" to watch Glen Beck contort himself into opposition.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:53 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Craster wrote:
a lot of Republicans actually seem to want there to be a one-party system in the US.
Mmm, not sure. A lot of Republicans only seem to define themselves as the opposite of whatever the Democrats said last; with no opposition I'm not sure they'd even exist!

They would. They just think todays America is exactly as it was in the 1950s.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:54 

Related: The Chart That Should Accompany All Discussions of the Debt Ceiling.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:02 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

I was really hoping for a map of the Carribean, with a big 'X' and the writing 'here be treasure'.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:03 

MaliA wrote:
I was really hoping for a map of the Carribean, with a big 'X' and the writing 'here be treasure'.
More like a map of the Middle East, and it says "oil" instead of "treasure".

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:04 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:
More like a map of the Middle East, and it says "oil" instead of "treasure".

I'm a romantic at heart, cruelly pummeled by left jab of reality, and the right hook of macro economics.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 22:34 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

MaliA wrote:
This knowledge is worse than when Grim.. explained about lifts to me.

Wait, what?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:23 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
MaliA wrote:
This knowledge is worse than when Grim.. explained about lifts to me.

Wait, what?

That you can't climb out of the top of a lift if it gets stuck, the hatch will only open from the outside, as it is for fireman to rescue people with, not to aid Bruce Willis.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 16:46 
UltraMod

Budget Hero, for nerds who fancy it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 20:47 

myoptikakaka wrote:

Does it come with a plastic briefcase?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 20:50 
UltraMod

Joans wrote:
myoptikakaka wrote:

I think Gordon Brown was testing a prototype when he was Chancellor.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 20:55 

myoptikakaka wrote:
Joans wrote:
myoptikakaka wrote:

I think Gordon Brown was testing a prototype when he was Chancellor.

Did he get any cheevos?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 22:49 
UltraMod

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 13:30 

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Yeah, and? It's still not actually a default. Making me technically correct.
Greek debt "restructuring" is losing RBS 50% (£840m) of its investment. That's quite some "contract variance", Kissy :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 13:38 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

But now Greece has cut a deal, we're all ok, right? I mean there's no way a larger, richer neighbour of theirs, with a GDP and total debt 5 times the size, might default soon? Right?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 13:38 
Hello Hello Hello

Yeah I know, Daily Mail, but they do have the odd decent columnist. This guy makes the wider point (which I've been getting at myself) that capitalism itself appears to be fundamentally broken at the moment and badly needs to get back on track, or it'll take democracy with it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... again.html

Quote:
Capitalism has once again lost its way. With millions betrayed by their under-performing schools, locked out of the job market, forgotten by the banks and abandoned by their politicians, Britain is in danger of becoming two nations again.

Modern capitalism is not beyond redemption. But it badly needs to rediscover its moral dimension, lost amid the scramble to protect the privileges of a narrow metropolitan elite.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 14:45 

It's not that good an article though. In parts the writer seems to be vaguely arguing for some weak social democracy (government intervention to save capitalism from itself, equality of opportunity) without actually stating it, then wonders off into typical Daily Mail territory blaming the social situation on this mysterious "metropolitan elite" (usually the Mail's term for a few upper-middle class people with centre-left views), New Labour, the lack of Grammar schools, migrants from Eastern Europe, etc. So it's a confused mess, part a critique of neoliberalism, part fundamentalism ("the system isn't capitalist enough!"), part scapegoating of social democrats for not being social democrats. Basically.

I do agree with your own general point, however.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 18:34 
Hello Hello Hello

According to S&P, our diddy little Isle of Man is now more creditworthy than the USA.

I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad thing really, considering our total population is less than 100,000. Is the USA really that fucked?

#gid=3">https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... l=en#gid=3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 18:46 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I think it's more of a case of S&P throwing their weight around, frankly - "You screw about with risking defaults again, and here's an example of what we can do". I don't think Fitch or Moodys will follow suit.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 18:49 

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad thing really, considering our total population is less than 100,000. Is the USA really that fucked?
It's borderline irrelevant taken on its own, except as a political talking point. Planet Money covered the reasons why recently.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:15 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

I imagine China, Oil-rich Middle Eastern sheikdoms and those huge institutional bond dealing firms are now going to sell all their US Treasury debt and reinvest it into the Isle of Man, Denmark and Switzerland.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:20 
INFINITE POWAH

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Yeah, and? It's still not actually a default. Making me technically correct.
Greek debt "restructuring" is losing RBS 50% (£840m) of its investment. That's quite some "contract variance", Kissy :D

Yes it is, but I'm still correct. It's not a default. It's much like with software supply agreements - we inevitably end up entering into contract variations to take into account delay in the project by the supplier, otherwise the supplier has a hissy and threatens to stop working. They may have screwed up, and they'd be totally in breach of the agreement if they downed tools, but we vary the contract in order to keep things moving and to get the software, meaning they're not in breach of the contract as the goalposts of the contract have moved.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 13:15 
Hello Hello Hello

Craster wrote:
I think it's more of a case of S&P throwing their weight around, frankly - "You screw about with risking defaults again, and here's an example of what we can do". I don't think Fitch or Moodys will follow suit.

Lulz.

http://www.aoltv.com/2011/08/09/jon-ste ... ing-video/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 13:13 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
Not yet - there's a chance that they'll make a profit when they sell off the shares, but that's probably not going to be a bonanza profit.

Plus dividend payments until they sell.

That is the thing that annoyed me most about the bail out, the majority of people complaining about giving away all our money. We didn't give it away, we bought something with it. Something that has the good possibility of raising us more money in the future.

Woohoo, currently every household in the UK is £1500 down on this excellent deal.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... hares.html

Quote:
Taxpayers were last night sitting on losses of nearly £40billion in Britain’s basket case banks.

It is a bitter blow to Chancellor George Osborne who planned to offload shares in Royal Bank of Scotland and Lloyds Banking Group for a profit before the next general election.

The one-time banking giants were saved from collapse during the financial crisis with £65.8billion of public money.

It was hoped the stakes would be sold for a healthy profit but shares in both banks have been hammered in the stock market turmoil of recent weeks.

They are now worth just £26.6billion – meaning UK taxpayers are nursing a loss of £39.2billion, or £1,500 per household.

Read more: #ixzz1VZRAu6uM">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1VZRAu6uM

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 15:35 
ugvm'er at heart...

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Not yet - there's a chance that they'll make a profit when they sell off the shares, but that's probably not going to be a bonanza profit.

Plus dividend payments until they sell.

That is the thing that annoyed me most about the bail out, the majority of people complaining about giving away all our money. We didn't give it away, we bought something with it. Something that has the good possibility of raising us more money in the future.

Woohoo, currently every household in the UK is £1500 down on this excellent deal.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... hares.html

Quote:
Taxpayers were last night sitting on losses of nearly £40billion in Britain’s basket case banks.

It is a bitter blow to Chancellor George Osborne who planned to offload shares in Royal Bank of Scotland and Lloyds Banking Group for a profit before the next general election.

The one-time banking giants were saved from collapse during the financial crisis with £65.8billion of public money.

It was hoped the stakes would be sold for a healthy profit but shares in both banks have been hammered in the stock market turmoil of recent weeks.

They are now worth just £26.6billion – meaning UK taxpayers are nursing a loss of £39.2billion, or £1,500 per household.

Read more: #ixzz1VZRAu6uM">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1VZRAu6uM

So, the £65 billion is currently worth £26 billion.

Completely different story that was being put around when the bail out happened, that we had "given away" £65 billion, which simply wasn't true. Which was the point I was making :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 17:08 

Fast cars and loose fiscal morals: there are more Porsches in Greece than taxpayers declaring 50,000 euro incomes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 17:49 
Excellent Member

How dare the ordinary people evade taxes! That is the job of the rich!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 17:51 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Plissken wrote:
How dare the ordinary people evade taxes! That is the job of the rich!

>:(
/punches butler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 17:38 
INFINITE POWAH

Right, so – people who know about banking and money and that - this article is nonsense on stilts, right? This is not remotely how banking works, is it?

This is the bit that annoyed me:

Quote:
Here's how it works. When you ask the bank for the money to buy a one-bedroom box in London, the money that appears in your account isn't borrowed from some prudent grandmother's life savings. In fact, the bank simply types those numbers into your account, creating brand new money that you can now spend. As other banks do exactly the same, the amount of money in the economy grows and grows. Every new mortgage creates new money, which pushes up house prices just a little more and forces the next buyer to borrow even more from the banks.

This is arrant bullshit, isn't it? The only people who can create money out of thin air are the central banks, who then use that to buy government bonds off the banks (or something) which then puts that money into circulation (or more liekly sits on the banks' balance sheet)

Isn't this a case of people confusing credit and money?

Mr Kissyfur puts £10 in HSBC. HSBC now owes Mr Kissyfur £10 - Mr Kissyfur does not have the £10, he is merely owed it by HSBC. HSBC then lends that £10 it got from Mr Kissyfur to MaliA, who then buys a Girls Aloud CD from Nirjehenge’s car boot sale. Nirjehenge then deposits that £10 in Lloyds, so Lloyds has £10 and Nirjehenge is owed £10 by Lloyds.

So what you have here are two deposits of £10, which are just debts of £10 (one from HSBC to Mr Kissyfur, one from Lloyds to Nirjehenge), one person who owes £10 to HSBC (MaliA), one person who has something worth £10 (MaliA) and a bank with a tenner (Lloyds). So there are two bank deposits of £10, which are both just debts, one person who owes £10 to the bank, and one person with something worth £10. This looks like two people have £10 each and one person has a physical asset of £10, but really the only person with a tangible thing here is MaliA, but even that's balanced out by him owing the bank a tenner. The only party which actually has £10 here is Lloyds. I can see how this looks like creating money, but it isn't, is it? Unless both Nirjehenge and Mr Kissyfur withdraw their money at the same time, but in that case HSBC and Lloyds have given them £10 that each of Grim… and Craster deposited, and so on. This only looks like creating money because not all depositors ask for their money back at the same time – the only time a bank says “sorry you can’t have that £10” is when you haven’t got £10 in your account. The bank never says “eeeeh, we’re a bit hard up at the moment, soz”, unless the bank’s run by Jimmy Stewart.

I’ve got this right, haven’t I?

Where's Craster when you need him etc etc.

Even worse are the full reserve banking weirdoes, who think banks should only be able to lend if they can back that loan up 100% with assets 8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 17:55 

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
This is arrant bullshit, isn't it?
Yes.

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
The only people who can create money out of thin air are the central banks, who then use that to buy government bonds off the banks (or something)
The central bank sells the bond to the normal banks.

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
And not understanding fractional reserve banking, I think.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 17:59 
INFINITE POWAH

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
This is arrant bullshit, isn't it?
Yes.

Glad I'm correct. The author has been fairly vehement in his opinions in the comments - although he keeps referring only to a text book he once read.

Quote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
The only people who can create money out of thin air are the central banks, who then use that to buy government bonds off the banks (or something)
The central bank sells the bond to the normal banks.

How does that result in the QE getting into the system then? I thought the magic made up money was introduced into the system by the BoE buying government bonds off the banks?

Quote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
And not understanding fractional reserve banking, I think.

Well, quite. The author of the article seems to think that if you have a reserve requirement of 10% and get £100 of money, that means you can lend out £1000, which is bobbins.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 18:05 
INFINITE POWAH

All that said, how come there's more money now than 100 years ago?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 18:06 
Gogmagog

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
All that said, how come there's more money now than 100 years ago?

It trickles down.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 18:21 

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
How does that result in the QE getting into the system then? I thought the magic made up money was introduced into the system by the BoE buying government bonds off the banks?
Oh, yeah, that's how quantitative easing works, but that's distinct from the business-as-usual process of buying and selling government bonds.

Wikipedia has an article about this, of course.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 18:22 
Gogmagog

There's a really good This American Life podcast about it, too. Fascinating stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 18:24 
INFINITE POWAH

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Oh, yeah, that's how quantitative easing works, but that's distinct from the business-as-usual process of buying and selling government bonds.

Wikipedia has an article about this, of course.

Yeah, indeed - I was just talking about "creating money out of thin air" - BoE is the only way that happens.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 18:30 
baron of techno

"Comment Is Free" - massively-less-well-informed than Beex since 2008.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 18:34 

MaliA wrote:
There's a really good This American Life podcast about it, too. Fascinating stuff.
Indeed -- http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-a ... l-of-money

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 18:36 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

The only thing that surprises me about that Guardian article is that Monbiot didn't write the deliberately misleading sack of bullshit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 18:38 
INFINITE POWAH

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
The only thing that surprises me about that Guardian article is that Monbiot didn't write the deliberately misleading sack of bullshit.

Monbiot's usually not far off being right on most things, to be fair. This guy's a fecking tool though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 18:50 

I'm not trying to start an argument, but what are people's general beef with Monbiot? I know he pissed a lot of anti-nuclear folk off recently, but other than that? Has he been proven to be talking shit and I've missed it?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 18:53 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

pupil wrote:
I'm not trying to start an argument, but what are people's general beef with Monbiot? I know he pissed a lot of anti-nuclear folk off recently, but other than that? Has he been proven to be talking shit and I've missed it?

He wrote a tax article a year or so ago (maybe earlier) which claimed that the tories had introduced legislation to encourage people to use tax havens. Not only was the concept so utterly, utterly flawed it was ridiculous, he also missed the point that it was labour who introduced the legislation - deliberately so, as anyone who had spent 30 seconds reading the history of the legislation and consultation would have seen it was first proposed in the 2008 (I think, could even have been earlier) budget.

Reply to topic  [ 514 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next