Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 514 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: It's so blatant
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:56 
Hello Hello Hello

Yeah I know, like, duhhh, but even I have been genuinely gobsmacked to realise over the last three or four years how the world is run by private banks, for private banks. Governments are largely immaterial.

It's almost as if they're so fucking blatant you can't quite believe it, and yet it's true.

Suggested material on this would be:

Inside Job - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1645089/
Capitalism, A Love Story - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1232207/
Money As Debt - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVkFb26u9g8
Money As Debt 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_doYllBk5No

For reading material, something like The Guardian, and surprisingly, even The Telegraph over the last few years have offered up a wealth of information.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/pers ... -debt.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... double-dip

It was this headline that caught my eye this morning - http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/ju ... ment-loans - and over the centuries this has been a common refrain, banks lend armies/countries money to go to war, and whoever wins the war, the banks are owed their millions/billions, so the banks don't really care. (And indeed, a country/government is established already massively in debt and answerable to the banks.)

Or how about Greece having to sell the fucking Acropolis to banks to be able to borrow money to pay its wages and maintain its infrastructure? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/fina ... l-off.html

Ultimately my question is, how can every country in the world, every allegedly sovereign nation, and by extension, every worker, every taxpayer, the world over - end up in debt to private banks that don't even have to take the hit when it all goes tits up anyway?

The answer, unfortunately, is that government and democracy are, to a great extent, a sham - and that banks own our countries, our governments, and as such, in some regard, they own us.

One core point to understand here is that governments don't create money, the UK government doesn't create sterling, the US Government doesn't create the dollar, the vast majority of 'money' the world over is simply created as debt by private banks, and immediately lent to individuals/businesses/governments.

Money as we know it only exists, and is only created, in the form of debt, owed to banks, at interest. (The US Federal Reserve, for example, is a private bank.)

Not that there's anything we can do about it of course, so it's probably best to just play computer games and not get overly stressed.

'Permit me to issue and control the money of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.'

Mayer Amschel Rothschild.

Post subject: Re: It's so blatant
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:11 

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
One core point to understand here is that governments don't create money, the UK government doesn't create sterling, the US Government doesn't create the dollar, the vast majority of 'money' the world over is simply created as debt by private banks, and immediately lent to individuals/businesses/governments.
Central banks with a degree of political independence from short-termist politicians who fuck the economy to win elections is not the bad thing you are painting it as. At least bankers have a vision that extends beyond the next political term.

And it's not a "private bank" in the manner you imply, anyway. The Fed's board of governors are all presidential appointees, for example, and the Bank of England's senior management are all appointed by the Crown. Central banks are also not for-profit institutions; they typically charge only nominal interest on the bonds and T-bills they issue. As such, they are structured to provide no incentive to increase debt.

Do you actually have an alternative to modern capitalist economics to propose that hasn't already failed in the real world (note this excludes Communism), or would you like some cheese to go with that whine?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:14 
Gogmagog

You're in danger of treading into the Sovereign Citizen Movement's garden here.

Besides, it's been well argued that the wealth of developing nations depends upon them being colonized and administered by more advanced nations.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:15 

We didn't come here for a lecture on cheese.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:22 
Hibernating Druid

lasermink wrote:

Sorry, I must be in the wrong room then.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:37 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Central banks with a degree of political independence from short-termist politicians who fuck the economy to win elections is not the bad thing you are painting it as. At least bankers have a vision that extends beyond the next political term.

And it's not a "private bank" in the manner you imply, anyway. The Fed's board of governors are all presidential appointees, for example, and the Bank of England's senior management are all appointed by the Crown. Central banks are also not for-profit institutions; they typically charge only nominal interest on the bonds and T-bills they issue. As such, they are structured to provide no incentive to increase debt.

Do you actually have an alternative to modern capitalist economics to propose that hasn't already failed in the real world (note this excludes Communism), or would you like some cheese to go with that whine?

Are you suggesting that banks are concerned with anything other than profit? As for short-termism, the US sub-prime boom and subsequent shafting of much of the world's economy was the ultimate iteration of short-termism, especially considering it was left to taxpayers to pick up the bill whilst the crooks ran off into the distance with their billions.

As for The Fed, the banks own the White House, so 'presidential appointees' are effectively bank employees. (There's an amazing clip in Capitalism, A Love Story, when a Wall Street supremo actually tells Ronald Reagan to hurry the fuck up during a speech, this is the president of the United States being told by a banker, effectively, to shut up.)

And central banks lending money at nominal interest, are you having a laugh? Have you seen what Greece and Portugal are paying on the bond markets for loans, have you seen what's happening to Ireland? This is a nation being laid to waste to satisfy the profits of banks.

The ECB is effectively sacrificing the 'PIGS' nations to protect banks in Germany and France from their irresponsible lending to these states. People and human lives don't come into the equation.

A Capitalist Democracy as a basic system of state is probably one of the least worst options, but where I honestly think it's been corrupted and broken is the modern banking system (and by 'modern' I'm talking about the last few hundred years, and specifically the last 30 years or so).

Money and the creation of it has become an end in itself, entirely divorced from any actual products or services, the driver of a capitalist economy should be wealth creation through industry and progress, not complex derivatives and financial instruments that can literally bankrupt and impoverish entire nations for generations.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:37 
Noob as of 6/8/10

lasermink wrote:

I did. Which dog damn room is it in then?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:56 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

And central banks lending money at nominal interest, are you having a laugh? Have you seen what Greece and Portugal are paying on the bond markets for loans, have you seen what's happening to Ireland? This is a nation being laid to waste to satisfy the profits of banks.

I think you're confusing things here. Greece and Portugal aren't attempting to pay for loans on the bond market. They are attempting to sell their debt on the bond market. That's how bonds work. Given those countries' financial situation, the risk of them defaulting on that is high - and so, to encourage people to take that risk, they have to offer a high interest rate. None of this has anything to do with banks - anyone can buy Greek or Portugese T-bills, should they want to.

Now the ECB has offered loans to Portugal, and those are (as RG says) at a nominal rate of interest.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:01 

As for The Fed, the banks own the White House, so 'presidential appointees' are effectively bank employees.
You think that (say) Sir Philip Hampton, Chairman of NatWest, has more say in who holds power in this country than (say) billionaire tyrant Rupert Murdoch does with his Empire Of Ruthless Shit?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:08 
UltraMod

Craster wrote:
Now the ECB has offered loans to Portugal

That's just not cricket.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:13 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
As for The Fed, the banks own the White House, so 'presidential appointees' are effectively bank employees.
You think that (say) Sir Philip Hampton, Chairman of NatWest, has more say in who holds power in this country than (say) billionaire tyrant Rupert Murdoch does with his Empire Of Ruthless Shit?

Rupert Murdoch may well have even more power, or not, but either way, the people who run the big banks *do* have great power, in governmental/political terms. (The fact that there are others besides bankers, those who control the media who are also powerful is surely totally besides the point?)

In broad terms, I think AE makes a compelling argument. This isn't 'modern capitalism' at all and the banks have a huge amount to answer for. Personally, I'd have let the fuckers go to the wall, pick up the pieces afterwards and have 'National Savings' mortgages and all savings up to, say £100k, indemnified by the State. This would have been vastly cheaper and better than what we did do, and it would've set a useful precedent for the future.

With Capitalism, badly and/or corruptly run businesses - including banks - go bust. Nothing and no-one is 'too big to fail'. This is the very converse of what did happen, in fact, which I think is a key point, and therefore will happen again. Who pays? Normal, everyday people, precisely as AE argues.

As for the supposed independence of the Fed and BoE, surely you must appreciate that those who run these institutions are appointed from the ranks of Wall Street and the City and are thus not 'independent' in any true sense of the term, far from it. Again, AE's sentiments are bang on here IMO.

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:19 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Captain Caveman wrote:
Personally, I'd have let the fuckers go to the wall, pick up the pieces afterwards and have 'National Savings' mortgages and all savings up to, say £100k, indemnified by the State. This would have been vastly cheaper and better than what we did do, and it would've set a useful precedent for the future.

Didn't the state make (or is due to make) an absolute fortune on the bailing out of the banks?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:21 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:
Personally, I'd have let the fuckers go to the wall, pick up the pieces afterwards and have 'National Savings' mortgages and all savings up to, say £100k, indemnified by the State. This would have been vastly cheaper and better than what we did do, and it would've set a useful precedent for the future.

Didn't the state make (or is due to make) an absolute fortune on the bailing out of the banks?

Not yet - there's a chance that they'll make a profit when they sell off the shares, but that's probably not going to be a bonanza profit.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:22 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Grim... wrote:

They have in the states. Don't think the deal was quite so well managed over here.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:27 

Captain Caveman wrote:
They tried that once; the deflationary spiral resulted in the Great Depression. 20%+ unemployment for a decade and such severe deprivation that there were bare-knuckle street brawls over barrels of waste food scraps. Still, the middle classes made it through alright. Good plan!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:29 
Excellent Member

Craster wrote:
Grim... wrote:

They have in the states. Don't think the deal was quite so well managed over here.

Really? I thought TARP was still not fully repaid yet? (I know they did reasonably well in the GM IPO, mind you)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:31 
ugvm'er at heart...

Peter St. John wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:

Not yet - there's a chance that they'll make a profit when they sell off the shares, but that's probably not going to be a bonanza profit.

Plus dividend payments until they sell.

That is the thing that annoyed me most about the bail out, the majority of people complaining about giving away all our money. We didn't give it away, we bought something with it. Something that has the good possibility of raising us more money in the future.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:33 
Excellently Membered

Craster wrote:
Grim... wrote:

There was talk about everyone in the UK being given shares in the banks the government own as a way of thanks, i,.e give it to the UK public. I doubt it'll happen but I'd like to see it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:34 

Wiki:

Quote:
Originally expected to cost the U.S. taxpayers as much as $300 billion,[1] by December 16, 2010 the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) estimated the total cost would be $25 billion,[2] although Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner argued that the final cost would be still lower. [3]

This is significantly less than the taxpayers' cost of the savings and loan crisis of the late 1980s. The cost of that crisis amounted to 3.2% of GDP during the Reagan/Bush era, while the GDP percentage of the current crisis' cost is estimated at less than 1%.[4]

While it was once feared the government would be holding companies like GM, AIG and Citigroup for several years, those companies are preparing to buy back the Treasury's stake and emerge from TARP within a year.[5] Of the $245 billion invested in U.S. banks, over $169 billion has been paid back, including $13.7 billion in dividends, interest and other income, along with $4 billion in warrant proceeds as of April 2010.
[6]
So 64% of the government's stake has been repaid, and it's managed a 8.1% rate of return on that to boot.

Quote:
AIG is considered "on track" to pay back $51 billion from divestitures of two units and another $32 billion in securities.[4]
That's a further $82bn, putting the repayments at $252bn, $8bn more than was lent out in the first place.

So, yeah. I think it's fair to say that TARP has worked out well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:35 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
They tried that once; the deflationary spiral resulted in the Great Depression. 20%+ unemployment for a decade and such severe deprivation that there were bare-knuckle street brawls over barrels of waste food scraps. Still, the middle classes made it through alright. Good plan!

Bank panics were a common feature of the 19th Century US, and in the early years of the republic the very idea of having a central bank was one of the most divisive issues around.

(It must be a complicated historical in-joke on the part of their banknote artists to have Andrew Jackson appear on a banknote issued by the US Federal Reserve: he was always against a national bank!)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:39 
Excellent Member

TARP - the greatest success of the George W. Bush administration, but they'd like you to think that Obama passed it ;).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:41 
Hibernating Druid

That's Tarpaulling.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:41 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Peter St. John wrote:
Craster wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Really? I thought TARP was still not fully repaid yet? (I know they did reasonably well in the GM IPO, mind you)

Some have fully paid, some haven't. But in all cases the repayment is looking to turn a decent profit.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:45 

On a related topic, for anyone who believes that banking is evil, money is fiction, the gold standard is truth, we never landed on the moon, etc the story of the Brazilian real is fascinating. Story on Wikipedia or the great podcast How Fake Money Saved Brazil.

Basically, the Brazilian government fixed decades of crippling runaway inflation by simply inventing a new currency from scratch, using price controls in the new currency, paying salaries in the new currency, but forcing people to buy goods in the old currency and allowing the exchange rate from old to new to float. Sounds like it shouldn't work, but it did. Sounds like it's nothing more than a confidence trick, but it transformed the economy and the standard of living of millions of people.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:50 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:

Ironically, the prime reason that I deplore the trillions paid to 'bail out' the banks, both here and especially in the US, is precisely due to the medium to long term adverse effects on the poor in particular. But let's not have that inconvenient truth get in the way.

Most people regard the banks with utter contempt, with very good reason - the damage that saving their collective arses has wreaked, and continues to wreak upon us all, most especially the poor. I really, genuinely can't understand your bank apologist attitude here and as for this policy resembling anything like capitalism, see my earlier remarks, which are pretty self evident anyway.

(Also, I hardly think that the prime reason for the Great Depression was the lack of a bank bailout at that time, it was surely far more to do with protectionism (AFAIK), though no doubt Peter will add to this point).

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:53 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
On a related topic, for anyone who believes that banking is evil, money is fiction, the gold standard is truth, we never landed on the moon, etc the story of the Brazilian real is fascinating.

Oh please. Can you not engage in any discussion without deeply patronising your protagonists and insulting their intelligence whilst you're at it?

You don't know it all, far from it.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:57 
Excellent Member

Craster can probably tell you more, to be honest ;). Protectionism played a small part on prolonging things (along with tax rises), but the bank/stock collapses were much worse in terms of their effect on the economy (which would have been magnified many times over if we'd let the banks go to the wall in 2008).

(there's other theories that blame it all on the Fed's control of the money supply, and the amount of time it took for countries to come off the gold standard as well - turns out that the earlier you went to fiat money in the 30s, the better you did)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 13:02 

Peter St. John wrote:
Craster can probably tell you more, to be honest ;). Protectionism played a small part on prolonging things (along with tax rises), but the bank/stock collapses were much worse in terms of their effect on the economy (which would have been magnified many times over if we'd let the banks go to the wall in 2008).

(there's other theories that blame it all on the Fed's control of the money supply, and the amount of time it took for countries to come off the gold standard as well - turns out that the earlier you went to fiat money in the 30s, the better you did)

Here's Wiki's take on it; there is no definitive view even now, apparently:

Quote:
There were multiple causes for the first downturn in 1929. These include the structural weaknesses and specific events that turned it into a major depression and the manner in which the downturn spread from country to country. In relation to the 1929 downturn, historians emphasize structural factors like massive bank failures and the stock market crash. In contrast, economists (such as Barry Eichengreen, Milton Friedman and Peter Temin) point to monetary factors such as actions by the US Federal Reserve that contracted the money supply, as well as Britain's decision to return to the Gold Standard at pre–World War I parities (US$4.86:£1).
Recessions and business cycles are thought to be a normal part of living in a world of inexact balances between supply and demand. What turns a normal recession or 'ordinary' business cycle into an actual depression is a subject of much debate and concern. Scholars have not agreed on the exact causes and their relative importance. Moreover, the search for causes is closely connected to the issue of avoiding future depressions.
Thus, the personal political and policy viewpoints of scholars greatly colors their analysis of historic events occurring eight decades ago. An even larger question is whether the Great Depression was primarily a failure on the part of free markets or, alternately, a failure of government efforts to regulate interest rates, curtail widespread bank failures, and control the money supply. Those who believe in a larger economic role for the state believe that it was primarily a failure of free markets, while those who believe in a smaller role for the state believe that it was primarily a failure of government that compounded the problem.
Current theories may be broadly classified into two main points of view and several heterodox points of view. First, there are demand-driven theories, most importantly Keynesian economics, but also including those who point to the breakdown of international trade, and Institutional economists who point to underconsumption and over-investment (causing an economic bubble), malfeasance by bankers and industrialists, or incompetence by government officials. The consensus among demand-driven theories is that a large-scale loss of confidence led to a sudden reduction in consumption and investment spending. Once panic and deflation set in, many people believed they could avoid further losses by keeping clear of the markets. Holding money became profitable as prices dropped lower and a given amount of money bought ever more goods, exacerbating the drop in demand.
Secondly, there are the monetarists, who believe that the Great Depression started as an ordinary recession, but that significant policy mistakes by monetary authorities (especially the Federal Reserve), caused a shrinking of the money supply which greatly exacerbated the economic situation, causing a recession to descend into the Great Depression. Related to this explanation are those who point to debt deflation causing those who borrow to owe ever more in real terms.
Lastly, there are various heterodox theories that downplay or reject the explanations of the Keynesians and monetarists. For example, some new classical macroeconomists have argued that various labor market policies imposed at the start caused the length and severity of the Great Depression. The Austrian school of economics focuses on the macroeconomic effects of money supply, and how central banking decisions can lead to over-investment (economic bubble).

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 13:06 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Wiki:

Quote:
Originally expected to cost the U.S. taxpayers as much as $300 billion,[1] by December 16, 2010 the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) estimated the total cost would be $25 billion,[2] although Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner argued that the final cost would be still lower. [3]

This is significantly less than the taxpayers' cost of the savings and loan crisis of the late 1980s. The cost of that crisis amounted to 3.2% of GDP during the Reagan/Bush era, while the GDP percentage of the current crisis' cost is estimated at less than 1%.[4]

While it was once feared the government would be holding companies like GM, AIG and Citigroup for several years, those companies are preparing to buy back the Treasury's stake and emerge from TARP within a year.[5] Of the $245 billion invested in U.S. banks, over $169 billion has been paid back, including $13.7 billion in dividends, interest and other income, along with $4 billion in warrant proceeds as of April 2010.
[6]
So 64% of the government's stake has been repaid, and it's managed a 8.1% rate of return on that to boot.

Quote:
AIG is considered "on track" to pay back $51 billion from divestitures of two units and another $32 billion in securities.[4]
That's a further $82bn, putting the repayments at $252bn, $8bn more than was lent out in the first place.

So, yeah. I think it's fair to say that TARP has worked out well.

That's absolutely not the whole story though, TARP was just the tip of the iceberg, and a drop in the ocean compared to the TRILLIONS of dollars of debt that has effectively been loaded onto the US taxpayer via the Fed and government trickery. (And my assertion is that 'Government = Banking Interests'.)

http://www.cpa-connecticut.com/blog/?p=2206

This one is older so the TARP figures alone are wrong, but what's said about the rest of the trillions still stands - http://reason.com/blog/2009/09/02/tarp- ... -get-bigge

Reuters - http://blogs.reuters.com/rolfe-winkler/ ... yers-loss/

We can chuck links at each other all day, and I'd respectfully suggest there's little point in doing so.

I stand by my original point that what we're seeing here is an absolute perversion of capitalism, as the old cliché goes, the rich are getting richer, the poor and getting poorer, and whoever gets richer or poorer, including the bankruptcy of entire nations - the banks always, always win.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 13:07 
Excellent Member

Unless you're Lehman Brothers or Bear Sterns ;).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 13:10 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

If we'd let the banks go to the wall, the impact on the economy and the lives of the man on the street would have been far, FAR worse than it is now.

However, having said that, we would also potentially have then been in a position to craft an economy with somewhat sturdier foundations than the idea of shuffling money around that doesn't exist, making it less likely that similar economic dire straits would occur in the future. Perhaps.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 13:49 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Cripes yes. The run on Northern Rock was bad, and they were tiny. Can you imagine what would have happened if RBS and LLoydsTSB/HBOS had become in solvent? It would have been carnage, and they'd have dragged everyone else down with them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 14:09 
Noob as of 6/8/10

To summarise, then; things are bad. I mean, REALLY bad. The current system switches from boom to bust no matter how many clever sods tinker with it. We could abandon the whole system and start from scratch, but that would prolly make things even worse than they are now, so we don't really have any choice but to let the clever sods keep tinkering with it. And the people who've got control of most of the money are almost always going to come out of whatever happens still controlling most of it and paying themselves huge salaries, so if you're clever enough, get on the gravy train while there are still a few seats left.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:23 
Hello Hello Hello

Warhead wrote:
To summarise, then; things are bad. I mean, REALLY bad. The current system switches from boom to bust no matter how many clever sods tinker with it. We could abandon the whole system and start from scratch, but that would prolly make things even worse than they are now, so we don't really have any choice but to let the clever sods keep tinkering with it. And the people who've got control of most of the money are almost always going to come out of whatever happens still controlling most of it and paying themselves huge salaries, so if you're clever enough, get on the gravy train while there are still a few seats left.

I don't think it holds true that it'd make things worse than they are now, the problem is that you'd need the whole world to buy into it at the same time, which would require a worldwide political and social concensus, and on current form we're a long way removed from that.

I suppose the ideal would be a 'Star Trek' future, where humanity has made peace with itself and seeks only to explore and expand its knowledge of the universe, having eradicated war, poverty, suffering, and hunger on earth.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:57 
Hello Hello Hello

A good piece in The Guardian today:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... capitalism

Quote:
The country has to rebuild itself economically and socially. It has to develop a good, long-termist capitalism with innovation, investment and engaging the people at its heart. But that in turn requires preconditions. The value system that underpins good capitalism is fairness – proportional reward for proportional contribution. Fairness does not happen spontaneously; it needs a web of supporting institutions, regulations and processes, ranging from effective competition policy to access to university that is based on merit rather than family wealth; from taxing inherited and undeserved fortunes to massive investment in social mobility.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:02 

I could've written that quote word for word. It, pretty much, encapsulates all that I believe in and have been spouting for years.

It also explains my utter contempt for bankers and lawyers. There was nothing fair or proportionate about bailing out failed, corrupt banks to the tune of hundreds of billions of taxpayer pounds/dollars and nor did this even remotely resemble Capitalism, let alone a 'good' or 'fair' version of it.

As for 'old money', I'd tax the fuck out of them too.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 23:44 

Captain Caveman wrote:
I could've written that quote word for word. It, pretty much, encapsulates all that I believe in and have been spouting for years.

It also explains my utter contempt for bankers and lawyers. There was nothing fair or proportionate about bailing out failed, corrupt banks to the tune of hundreds of billions of taxpayer pounds/dollars and nor did this even remotely resemble Capitalism, let alone a 'good' or 'fair' version of it.

As for 'old money', I'd tax the fuck out of them too.

:this:

Basically.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:28 
Hello Hello Hello

Entire country getting flushed down the toilet, but what's the primary concern?

Quote:
"I still fail to see why an investor would want to agree to extend maturities rather than get paid back in full and on time," said Jenkins. "If the choice is extend or default then it could be argued that it is not a voluntary decision and certainly the rating agencies will regard it as a default."

So the violent riots against the impoverishment and usury of a population of millions of people are neither here nor there, as long as the banks get paid.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011 ... ld-markets

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:45 

To a layman like me, it just seems like Greek Government has been taking the piss for years - spending/borrowing way, way beyond their means on a ridiculously inflated, massively inefficient public sector that they obviously couldn't afford (sound familiar? :roll: ) and deliberately concealing their true (hopeless) financial position to their EU Euro colleagues - very possibly at the cost of the ruination of the Euro itself, but not before 'we' throw many more billions of good money after bad, before finally and belatedly confronting the truth of the matter?

Then of course there's the whole alleged corruption issue; apparently paying taxes in Greece is an 'optional' affair and has been for years. Did anyone seriously believe this was ever going to end any other way, or that the Greek state is ever going to be able to pay back these bailout loans? Where is the wealth creation going to come from? Greece is surely finished.

True Capitalism does not preclude the possibility of entire countries/states becoming bankrupt, just as corporations, banks and individuals. That's not a nice state of affairs and hardly the fault of the poor Greek people themselves - or at least most of them - but then life isn't fair is it? If we say that we are not prepared to allow this to happen - and I say there is a compelling argument for this, counter-Capitalism as it were - then the rest of the EU, Germany in particular, had better have very deep pockets, and it must be pretty galling for those prudent, responsible North European states in particular to watch their money being pissed away like this.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:56 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

It does sound that the Greek government has been running an inefficient, barely sustainable system for years, and the whole credit crunch thingy has pushed them from "barely sustainable" to "totally unsustainable" pretty quick.

My guess that Rich Uncle Germany will bail out Greece, because whilst the Euro might survive Greece or Portugal defaulting, if everyone loses confidence in Spain or Italy, the whole thing might fall apart, and drag down Germany with them ( whose export economy depends on other countries actually being able to afford their stuff ).

My understanding is that the Eurozone is offering to act as a guarantor for additional borrowing the Greek's will need to make, which will allow them to get it at a much lower rate. Greece was having to borrow at 15% at one point!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:58 
Hello Hello Hello

Why can't the Eurozone just tell the banks to fuck off though? They shouldn't have lent so recklessly in the first place, tough shit.

This is right back to my original point though, who runs countries, who runs the entire European Union? And it's not the governments, it's the bloody banks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:05 

I totally agree.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:08 
ugvm'er at heart...

Squirt wrote:
It does sound that the Greek government has been running an inefficient, barely sustainable system for years,

Luckily for the UK we have the Tory party to jump in and fix that every decade or so! :DD

<ducks and runs>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:11 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Why can't the Eurozone just tell the banks to fuck off though? They shouldn't have lent so recklessly in the first place, tough shit.

This is right back to my original point though, who runs countries, who runs the entire European Union? And it's not the governments, it's the bloody banks.

Why would France and Germany want their banks, who employ many thousands of people and generate massive amounts of money in taxes, to fail because they're holding vast amounts of debt that Portugal, Greece and Spain can't afford to repay?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:13 

Craster wrote:

Why would France and Germany want their banks, who employ many thousands of people and generate massive amounts of money in taxes, to fail because they're holding vast amounts of debt that Portugal, Greece and Spain can't afford to repay?

Trouble is though, as we have all found out, those 'massive amounts of money' are largely virtual (or 'bullshit', if we're being impolite).

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:13 

Trooper wrote:
Squirt wrote:
It does sound that the Greek government has been running an inefficient, barely sustainable system for years,

Luckily for the UK we have the Tory party to jump in and fix that every decade or so! :DD

<ducks and runs>

Very true mate, but they'll still be hated for it, just like last time.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:14 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Well, no - the assets that float around are certainly virtual, but incoming tax revenues aren't virtual in the least.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:14 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Greece is still running a whacking deficit though, aren't they? Even if they said "Screw you guys, we're defaulting" they'd still need to borrow more money just to keep going. They'd end up just as broke, but with people even less willing to lend them any more. Sucking it up and paying it back might be the least painful option for them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:15 
Hello Hello Hello

Craster wrote:

I refuse to believe that banks are net 'wealth generators' - given that pretty much most of the developed world (and therefore the populations of those countries) is in hock to them to the tune of hundreds of billions, if not fucking trillions of dollars that the banks just conjured up out of thin air in the first place anyway.

I'm no financial genius, but if you gave me a monopoly on the creation of the world's currency (which is what banks across the world have), I could probably manage to employ a few people as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:18 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Well, it rather depends on your timescale, doesn't it? Over a 5 year period, probably not. Over a 300 year period, of course they are.

Reply to topic  [ 514 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next