Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 488 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Derren Brown
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:41 
Sleepyhead

Kern wrote:
I read it a couple of months ago and I can still repeat it.

Can't get the hang of the number one though

That one seemed trickier, and relies on being able to accurately memorise all of the pegs... and since there are a ton, it's gonna hurt the brain and take a while to go in. I'll wait until the next time I'm watching cricket all day to have a go at remembering it.

:)

Post subject: Re: Bits & Bobs XII
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 16:33 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

has anyone seen Derren Brown is going to predict the lottery numbers live this evening! 10:35, all '4' channels apparently!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 16:44 
That Rev Chap

Bobbyaro wrote:
has anyone seen Derren Brown is going to predict the lottery numbers live this evening! 10:35, all '4' channels apparently!

As predicting the lottery numbers is impossible, I'm thinking he's got something else up his sleeve.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 16:46 

The Rev Owen wrote:
As predicting the lottery numbers is impossible

No, it isn't.

It's predicting them accurately that's impossible ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 16:53 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bobbyaro wrote:

It's not live. It's a recording of a live show.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 16:54 

As well as the Derran Brown trick there's also a new Jonathan Meades series starting on BBC 4 at 21:00. His stuff is always worth watching too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 22:50 
Time Out for Fun

anyone just see derren brown predict the lottery?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 22:50 
Awesome
Yes

So Derren Brown just predicted the lottery numbers correctly.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 22:53 
baron of techno

Really?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 23:03 
Yes

And he'll show us how to do it on friday.

That's his 10million viewers sorted for friday night then

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 23:06 
baron of techno

Can't be real though, it's on tv innit.

And they'd only get a pound each anyway, the muppets.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 23:06 
if he spent a year doing it, it's probably just probability

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 23:09 
That Rev Chap

Mr Russell wrote:

No he didn't.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 23:10 
Time Out for Fun

i think he had a writing recognition on the board he wrote on, that made them appear on the balls, imagine an awkward version of writing on D.Kawasakis Brain Training on the DS.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 23:20 
Awesome
Yes

The Rev Owen wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

No he didn't.

You know what I mean. We all know it's a trick, but the impressiveness is in how it is done.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 0:59 

I love Derren Brown but taped it all, so will chuck that on tomorrow night.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Runcle wrote:
i think he had a writing recognition on the board he wrote on, that made them appear on the balls, imagine an awkward version of writing on D.Kawasakis Brain Training on the DS.

Too hard - he'd have just had someone type the numbers in off-screen.
The magic was in the ping-pong balls, for sure. Otherwise he'd have turned them around before the draw started.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:44 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:
Runcle wrote:

Too hard - he'd have just had someone type the numbers in off-screen.
The magic was in the ping-pong balls, for sure. Otherwise he'd have turned them around before the draw started.

He's such a marvellous showman, and the idea to do this kind of thing, where he pulls a stunt like this and then shows you how a couple of days later, is marketing GOLD.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:44 
baron of techno

I can't see that derren brown thing on iplayer, any clues?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:45 
Chinny chin chin

kalmar wrote:

Try Channel 4. :attitude:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:50 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

kalmar wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmxua_V1AcM
C4 / BBC1 simulcast.

Curiosity wrote:
He's such a marvellous showman, and the idea to do this kind of thing, where he pulls a stunt like this and then shows you how a couple of days later, is marketing GOLD.

This is very true. However, this time, I'm not convinced we're going to get the real answer.
"I used clever ping-pong balls" isn't going to be that impressive. How long is the show on Friday?

[edit]An hour. Hmm.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:58 
baron of techno

Just watched it on youtube.

There's no "studio audience" in his 10 minute show, is there? Not in the clip I saw anyway.

So it's easy - the left side of the screen is genlocked or digitally replaced with a static picture of the stand and ping-pong balls, meanwhile an assistant rushes out and puts the right numbers in the holder, hidden from view. As soon as he's finished and has scarpered, they switch back to the full camera view and Derren reveals it.

Nice trick. There's no way he's going to admit that's how he did it either.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:03 
Meh

There are some great "solutions" on Youtube already.

:D

I bet Camelot are paying him for this stunt as it might get people interested in the lottery again. (only the gullible)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:16 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

kalmar wrote:

There's no "studio audience" in his 10 minute show, is there? Not in the clip I saw anyway.

So it's easy - the left side of the screen is genlocked or digitally replaced with a static picture of the stand and ping-pong balls, meanwhile an assistant rushes out and puts the right numbers in the holder, hidden from view. As soon as he's finished and has scarpered, they switch back to the full camera view and Derren reveals it.

Maybe - the balls would shift when they unlocked the left of the screen though, wouldn't there?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:20 
Isn't that lovely?

Most till receipts use thermal paper, so to print on it you fire a laser at it, and it darkens, I think the simplest way of doing last night's stunt would be to have some sort of thermal paper like surface on the balls, and a laser, that would take mere seconds.

Malc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:23 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Grim... wrote:
kalmar wrote:

Maybe - the balls would shift when they unlocked the left of the screen though, wouldn't there?

There's 25 seconds for the chap to write the numbers, but the camera is moving slightly all time, so I don't think that's it.

I like Malc's laser idea, but wouldn't we see the laser picking up on bits of dust?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:25 

kalmar wrote:
You have barely 25 seconds between the last ball being drawn and Derren doing the reveal. That's not a lot of time to get the bloke to write all six numbers down, get clear, and switch feeds.

Anyway, I reject all camera trickery explanations. Brown is too good a showman for Friday night to be any sort of anticlimax; he has to have up his sleeve some insanely clever explanation of how he did this or the Friday show is going to be crap. Assuming he does, why would he then do the actual trick with camera trickery instead of the insane cleverness?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:27 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I didn't actually watch this.. but maybe he.. like you know.. just guessed?

Wouldn't that be something!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:14 
baron of techno

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
kalmar wrote:
You have barely 25 seconds between the last ball being drawn and Derren doing the reveal. That's not a lot of time to get the bloke to write all six numbers down, get himself and selection of numbers clear, and switch feeds.

Who has to write anything? He just has to pull the balls out of a rack and place them in the holder as the TV announcer reads them coming out of the lottery machine. Plenty of time to do that and then get himself and selection of balls off the stage, because Derren spends extra time writing them on a whiteboard while they're doing the summing up.

Grim... wrote:

Well, they're sitting pretty snugly in that holder, I don't see them moving much even when he spins the thing around to do the reveal.

Grim... wrote:
There's 25 seconds for the chap to write the numbers, but the camera is moving slightly all time, so I don't think that's it.

The camera moving is purely to make you think that (and it's moving about suspiciously much, as if to emphasise that, wouldn't you say chinny?) - but it's not difficult to do technically - even an old greenscreen setup lets you move the camera.

Notice how, through the whole scene where he's watching the TV, the frame wobbles about but never changes zoom nor does the cameraman move. That's definitely a clue that it's really a fixed camera and they're adding the wobble for effect.

Quote:
Anyway, I reject all camera trickery explanations. Brown is too good a showman for Friday night to be any sort of anticlimax; he has to have up his sleeve some insanely clever explanation of how he did this or the Friday show is going to be crap. Assuming he does, why would he then do the actual trick with camera trickery instead of the insane cleverness?

Because there's no way he could have known the numbers in advance. Occams razor. The clever explanation will be clever, but it's not going to be true or repeatable.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:18 

kalmar wrote:
Because there's no way he could have known the numbers in advance. Occams razor. The clever explanation will be clever, but it's not going to be true or repeatable.
If Friday's show doesn't leave every viewer smacking their head and saying "of course! dammit!" then it will have failed, and if it's not repeatable and obviously true it won't do that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:20 
baron of techno

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
kalmar wrote:
If Friday's show doesn't leave every viewer smacking their head and saying "of course! dammit!" then it will have failed, and if it's not repeatable and obviously true it won't do that.

Well, let's wait and see :D
I think you might be disappointed though...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:47 
Isn't that lovely?

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
kalmar wrote:
You have barely 25 seconds between the last ball being drawn and Derren doing the reveal. That's not a lot of time to get the bloke to write all six numbers down, get clear, and switch feeds.

But he often does exactly just that, comes up with some amazing explanation of how it's done, but has really used an altogether more mundane reason. Some have said that's his biggest misdirection. He makes you think he's done some massively complicated thing, when "all" he's done is some sleight of hand (an ear piece on his arm rather than in his ear for example...)

Malc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:48 
Awesome
Yes

Did he not say he'd show us so we too would be able to do it?

Or you think that was just patter?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:52 
baron of techno

Mr Russell wrote:
Did he not say he'd show us so we too would be able to do it?

Or you think that was just patter?

Where "it" is "predicting" the outcome of the lottery 30 seconds after it's been announced, yes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:53 
Awesome
Yes

Yes but I meant that the answer wouldn't be freeze framing or green screen as that is not something the general public "can do"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:55 
baron of techno

Mr Russell wrote:
Yes but I meant that the answer wouldn't be freeze framing or green screen as that is not something the general public "can do"

It probably is though. Camcorder, greenscreen software, what's the big deal? Why you'd want to bother is another matter.

As Malc says, it'll certainly look cleverer than this in the Friday show, but I pretty much guarantee that's how it was done.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:00 
Pyrotechnician!!!1

It's like The Prestige ZOMG!!!

(That was a class film btw)

WARNING!!! DO NOT CLICK THIS UNLESS YOU CAN HANDLE THE SIGHT OF MAXIMUM PWNAGE!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:03 
Surely derren brown just used smoke and mirrors to do it.

The balls looked suspect (the printing on them)

But the program wil probably be 30mins telling us what the lottery is.
20mins of him "planning" his trick
30 seconds of him telling us he faked the whole thing.
Audience goes "WTF" and he's proved to be the devil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:11 
baron of techno

nickachu wrote:
Surely derren brown just used smoke and mirrors to do it.

Correct.

Quote:
The balls looked suspect (the printing on them)

Nah, nothing that elaborate.
Quote:

But the program wil probably be 30mins telling us what the lottery is.
20mins of him "planning" his trick
30 seconds of him telling us he faked the whole thing.
Audience goes "WTF" and he's proved to be the devil

Correct.
But the audience is the same suckers who buy lottery tickets so they should be used to being scammed, frankly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:24 

I reckon that it wasn't a live broadcast and he just did 14 million takes, then they just superimposed the telly footage from the other channel.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:27 

markg wrote:
I reckon that it wasn't a live broadcast and he just did 14 million takes, then they just superimposed the telly footage from the other channel.
Sure, 14 million 8-minute long recordings wouldn't take long to do :DD

Even if you think they top-and-tailed some generic intro footage, you'd still need a couple of minutes recorded uniquely for each set of balls he wanted to predict. And if you consider he only promised to get five of the six numbers, that's still over 56,000 combinations. It's just too much.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:28 
baron of techno

That's completely ludicrous. My way is better :p

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:30 
Hibernating Druid

He beat the devil in a Fiddle battle.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:37 
Sitting balls-back folder

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
markg wrote:
Sure, 14 million 8-minute long recordings wouldn't take long to do :DD

Even if you think they top-and-tailed some generic intro footage, you'd still need a couple of minutes recorded uniquely for each set of balls he wanted to predict. And if you consider he only promised to get five of the six numbers, that's still over 56,000 combinations. It's just too much.
The adverts did say he'd spent a year working on it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:38 
baron of techno

BikNorton wrote:

Showmanship. Not true. Never believe anything you see on the TV, especially adverts.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:40 

The trick with Derren Brown is that you can't trust anything he ever says, especially when he swears to god he isn't lying. I think a lot of people would be a bit disappointed if they knew just how cheap most of his tricks are.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:41 
baron of techno

It's the greatest trick the devil never played.

Oh, awesome, it's on youtube

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 13:00 
Sitting balls-back folder

kalmar wrote:
BikNorton wrote:
Showmanship. Not true. Never believe anything you see on the TV, especially adverts.
Respectively: I know, I know, I don't, I agree. It was a bad joke thingy!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 13:05 

I have to say, I really, really like Derren Brown's stuff. He's just a proper, old school, entertaining magician. I know there's probably all sorts of cheap tricks he uses to pull off these stunts, but it's all done with such entertaining panache that I rather enjoy it all.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 13:24 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Zio wrote:
I have to say, I really, really like Derren Brown's stuff. He's just a proper, old school, entertaining magician. I know there's probably all sorts of cheap tricks he uses to pull off these stunts, but it's all done with such entertaining panache that I rather enjoy it all.

Me too. The mind-reading (face-reading) stuff and hypnosis he does is incredible.

Reply to topic  [ 488 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next