Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 15:33 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 35595
That when in a web browser, F6 highlights the text in the address bar.

Useful


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 15:35 
User avatar
Can't re-member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 53656
Location: Liberty City
I learnt that if you set your status on Xbox Live to 'Busy', you no longer get the messages pop up when friends come online (the achievement ones stay).

_________________
I am currently under construction.
Thank you for your patience.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 15:36 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 35595
myoptikakaka wrote:
I learnt that if you set your status on Xbox Live to 'Busy', you no longer get the messages pop up when friends come online (the achievement ones stay).

Really? Now that *is* useful.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 15:42 
User avatar
Chinny chin chin

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 15695
DavPaz wrote:
That when in a web browser, F6 highlights the text in the address bar.

Useful


Liar liar pants on fire. It lowers the keyboard illumination. Now go and stand with Mr Chris on the wrong step.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 15:43 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 35595
chinnyhill10 wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
That when in a web browser, F6 highlights the text in the address bar.

Useful


Liar liar pants on fire. It lowers the keyboard illumination. Now go and stand with Mr Chris on the wrong step.

Sorry, it must only apply to grown up's machines ;)

edit: Yeah, so that's windows only, it seems. Sorry, Mac fans.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 15:46 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 67244
Location: Your Mum
F3 repeats the last text you tried to find on a page (in Chrome, at least).

And I know most people know this one, but CTRL+Shift+T re-opens the last tab you closed.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 15:51 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 35595
And whilst we're sharing...

WindowsKey + E opens Windows Explorer
WindowsKey + Pause/Break opens System Properties


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 15:52 
User avatar
Noob as of 6/8/10

Joined: 6th Aug, 2010
Posts: 3694
Location: , Location, Location.
You all learned these things today, eh?

Porkies.

_________________
'I just can't be arsed.'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 15:53 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 35595
Warhead wrote:
Porkies.

Image

:?:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 15:57 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 32311
DavPaz wrote:
edit: Yeah, so that's windows only, it seems. Sorry, Mac fans.
Ctrl or Cmd K or L, on the other hand, work in almost all browsers and OSs.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 16:02 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 19449
Location: shropshire, uk
I learnt that I could store my phone contents in google...

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 16:03 
User avatar
Sleepyhead

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 27006
Location: Kidbrooke
DavPaz wrote:
And whilst we're sharing...

WindowsKey + E opens Windows Explorer
WindowsKey + Pause/Break opens System Properties


+M minimises all windows

_________________
I've got a bad feeling about this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 16:16 

Joined: 31st Mar, 2008
Posts: 6093
Curiosity wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
And whilst we're sharing...

WindowsKey + E opens Windows Explorer
WindowsKey + Pause/Break opens System Properties


+M minimises all windows


I never knew that System Properties one - that's pretty useful for my job!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 16:18 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 67244
Location: Your Mum
Curiosity wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
And whilst we're sharing...

WindowsKey + E opens Windows Explorer
WindowsKey + Pause/Break opens System Properties


+M minimises all windows

+D is better, because you can press +D again to get them back.

+left cursor and +right cursor let you move a window to "half screen mode" on Win7, and are the only way to get the window to "dock" to the inner side of a multi-monitor setup.
+up maximises and +down restores and then minimises.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 16:19 
User avatar
Chinny chin chin

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 15695
DavPaz wrote:
Sorry, it must only apply to grown up's machines ;)


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 16:21 
User avatar
Noob as of 6/8/10

Joined: 6th Aug, 2010
Posts: 3694
Location: , Location, Location.
Windows Key + L locks the machine (Saves all that tedious <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Del> and selecting 'Lock this computer' faffing around).

_________________
'I just can't be arsed.'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 16:25 
User avatar
It's all pish

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 2137
Location: Thunder Bay, Canada
Windows Key +D +V conjures up a weird feeling of Deja Vu that we had this exact thread about a month ago...

_________________
Flickr Stuff

Xbox Live & Game Centre ID - MalcSeventyFour
You're not allowed to be better than me, though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 16:26 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 30th Apr, 2011
Posts: 533
Location: NL
http://youtu.be/xC5Cv3opP8A

F8 fires rockets


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 16:27 
User avatar
Noob as of 6/8/10

Joined: 6th Aug, 2010
Posts: 3694
Location: , Location, Location.
Malc74 wrote:
Windows Key +D +V conjures up a weird feeling of Deja Vu that we had this exact thread about a month ago...



Whereas Windows Key +V +D conjures up a weird feeling of having an anti-social disease.

_________________
'I just can't be arsed.'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 16:38 
User avatar
Sleepyhead

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 27006
Location: Kidbrooke
Grim... wrote:
left cursor and +right cursor let you move a window to "half screen mode" on Win7, and are the only way to get the window to "dock" to the inner side of a multi-monitor setup.
+up maximises and +down restores and then minimises.


Not on my machine they don't.

_________________
I've got a bad feeling about this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 17:21 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 67244
Location: Your Mum
Curiosity wrote:
Grim... wrote:
left cursor and +right cursor let you move a window to "half screen mode" on Win7, and are the only way to get the window to "dock" to the inner side of a multi-monitor setup.
+up maximises and +down restores and then minimises.


Not on my machine they don't.

Windows key + arrow, right?
They do on mine. I'd be surprised if it's different for different versions (Home, Pro, etc).

Warhead wrote:
Windows Key + L locks the machine (Saves all that tedious <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Del> and selecting 'Lock this computer' faffing around).

Depending on your settings, this can also log you off.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 19:41 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 23rd Jun, 2010
Posts: 2282
Today I learned that the world as I have been seeing it since I was 8 years old has been totally wrong.

Had contacts fitted for my short sightedness and astigmatism and freaked the Fuck out.
It turns out that everything is 1/3 bigger than I think it is. This revelation hit me when I was swearing at my kittens for going on the keyboard and changing my screen resolution, only it was right, magnifier OK at 100%, text size small... HOLY JESUS MY MONITER WHAT THE FUCK OH SHIT GIANT KITTENS and so on. ?:|

_________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/learnin_curve/
Children's BBC 1986: Phillip Schofield sings Ulysses 31!
crazy amazing riot video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wpEGRW7mSU


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 19:42 
User avatar
Comfortably Dumb

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 10893
Location: Sunny Stoke
DavPaz wrote:
That when in a web browser, F6 highlights the text in the address bar.

Useful


It's more of a 'jump to the top' kinda thing, as in a default installation of Firefox (with the tabs on top), F6 will take you to the tabs where you can use the keys to navigate them. I used to use it to switch to the address bar, so when googling to fix it, the answer seems to be 'put the tabs back underneath'.

_________________
Consolemad | Under Logic
Curse, the day is long
Realise you don't belong


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 21:58 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Joined: 17th Dec, 2008
Posts: 8259
That it is possible for pregnant women to look hot.

Twice!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 22:35 
User avatar
Soopah red DS

Joined: 2nd Jun, 2008
Posts: 2118
devilman wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
That when in a web browser, F6 highlights the text in the address bar.

Useful


It's more of a 'jump to the top' kinda thing, as in a default installation of Firefox (with the tabs on top), F6 will take you to the tabs where you can use the keys to navigate them. I used to use it to switch to the address bar, so when googling to fix it, the answer seems to be 'put the tabs back underneath'.

Alt+D does the "select text in the address bar" no matter how many tabs you have opened, use that all the time. Along with ctrl+enter to fill in www. and .com around whichever dot com I want to go to. (so type hotmail, press ctrl+enter).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 22:40 
User avatar
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Joined: 2nd Apr, 2008
Posts: 13421
Location: Chester, UK
Grim... wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Grim... wrote:
left cursor and +right cursor let you move a window to "half screen mode" on Win7, and are the only way to get the window to "dock" to the inner side of a multi-monitor setup.
+up maximises and +down restores and then minimises.


Not on my machine they don't.

Windows key + arrow, right?
They do on mine. I'd be surprised if it's different for different versions (Home, Pro, etc).


It certainly works on my copy of Win7 Home, and it's really bloody useful when I've got my other monitor switched off and a program decides to open up there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:07 

Joined: 31st Mar, 2008
Posts: 6093
Decca wrote:
Today I learned that the world as I have been seeing it since I was 8 years old has been totally wrong.

Had contacts fitted for my short sightedness and astigmatism and freaked the Fuck out.
It turns out that everything is 1/3 bigger than I think it is. This revelation hit me when I was swearing at my kittens for going on the keyboard and changing my screen resolution, only it was right, magnifier OK at 100%, text size small... HOLY JESUS MY MONITER WHAT THE FUCK OH SHIT GIANT KITTENS and so on. ?:|


Heh, I'm short-sighted and have astigmatism and was born with a squint that, curtesy of surgery performed on my left eye when I was about three, can be controlled at will (it's also left me with one eye appearing bigger than the other, which is another reason I wear glasses instead of contacts, as it's less noticeable). Anyway, when I'm really tired and can't control the squint so well, I always get 'small vision', where everything suddenly appears much smaller than it should. Used to really freak me out when I was a nipper.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:29 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 35595
That Samuel Beckett used to drive André the Giant to school

http://historicalmeetups.com/post/15245 ... -and-nobel


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:50 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 14497
Embarrassingly, I only discovered recently that Ctrl+Shift+Esc opens the task manager. I always used to Ctrl+Alt+Del and then click on the option. At least, I have done since the newer versions of Windows forced you to do that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:52 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 35595
That's a new one on me.

Ta, Jahoney!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:53 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 14497
:D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:55 
Awesome
User avatar
Yes

Joined: 6th Apr, 2008
Posts: 11750
Not today, but this week:

Windows key + E opens Explorer, rather than right clicking the Start button and clicking Open.

_________________
Always proof read carefully in case you any words out


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:02 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 5924
Location: Stockport - The Jewel in the Ring
Ctrl-Shift-Esc has been around since Windows 3.1.

Man, you lot make me feel old.

_________________
Mint To Be Stationery - Looking for a Secret Santa gift? Try our online shops at Mint To Be.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:39 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 19449
Location: shropshire, uk
I have learnt OneNote is kinda awesome...

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 0:28 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 67244
Location: Your Mum
Longines Symphonette wrote:
Windows key + E opens Explorer, rather than right clicking the Start button and clicking Open.

I... Really? Come on!

Alt+tab lets you cycle through running programs, you know ;)

(In "not useful but interesting" news, Windows + Tab gets you a 3D flippy thing, and holding down left alt, tapping right alt (don't let go of left alt) and then pressing tab in Win7 gets you the old XP prompt).

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:37 
Awesome
User avatar
Yes

Joined: 6th Apr, 2008
Posts: 11750
Grim... wrote:
Longines Symphonette wrote:
Windows key + E opens Explorer, rather than right clicking the Start button and clicking Open.

I... Really? Come on!

Alt+tab lets you cycle through running programs, you know ;)


Hey, it's not like I ever had a windows manual or anything.

Ooh, another one: ctrl+k auto finds the closest name from your address book in outlook if you just type a bit if name in the To: box.

Again, everyone else probably learned this in the womb.

_________________
Always proof read carefully in case you any words out


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:24 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 35595
Today I learned that 'permenant' marker pen can be removed from hard surfaces by covering it with dry wipe marker and wiping clean.

VOODOO!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:26 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 32311
DavPaz wrote:
Today I learned that 'permenant' marker pen can be removed from hard surfaces by covering it with dry wipe marker and wiping clean.

VOODOO!
Spray deodorant usually works too (same solvent chemical), and is generally more convenient.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:27 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 35595
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Today I learned that 'permenant' marker pen can be removed from hard surfaces by covering it with dry wipe marker and wiping clean.

VOODOO!
Spray deodorant usually works too (same solvent chemical), and is generally more convenient.

And pleasantly fragranced :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:01 
SupaMod
User avatar
"Praisebot"

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 15445
Location: Parts unknown
I used to use deodorant on pre owned games when I worked at Game. We were supposed to write over the barcode with permanent marker to show they were second hand but one quick wipe with some Asda Lynx knock off, and it was gone.

You could then refund the game as brand new. Genius!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 14:17 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 35595
Today I learned that the 'B' end of standard USB cable fits nicely into an RJ45 socket. Especially when you groping blind behind a printer.

:facepalm:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 14:37 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 45698
Location: The erogenous zone
Dirty.

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:43 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 35595
Today I learned something about the Toblerone Logo

Image

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
It's a bear!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:47 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 45414
Location: West Yorkshire
So it is!

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:01 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 32311
Hah, brilliant!

I assume everyone is familiar with the FedEx logo, which is my favourite of all these "hidden feature" designs?

http://articlesandtexticles.co.uk/imgs/0609/fedex01sm.gif

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!


EDIT: linkifyed, rather than inlined, the images, as Gilly says it trigger her workplace web filter. Images are totally SFW but I suppose the hosting site must have some other dodgy content on it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:09 
User avatar
Ready for action

Joined: 9th Mar, 2009
Posts: 7438
Location: Top Secret Bunker
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Hah, brilliant!

I assume everyone is familiar with the FedEx logo, which is my favourite of all these "hidden feature" designs?



Story here.[/spoiler]

EEk! what website is that, I'm on a work pc and it blocked for nudity! Jings.. might be best logging off now :S


Last edited by Cras on Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:23, edited 1 time in total.
Removed blocked pic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:10 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 45414
Location: West Yorkshire


Why traffic jams suddenly appear on motorways for no apparent reason.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:10 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 35595
Image
Better? :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:12 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 32311
Gilly wrote:
EEk! what website is that, I'm on a work pc and it blocked for nudity! Jings.. might be best logging off now :S
Erm, just some random one that turned up in Google Image. I;'ll edit the original post.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today I learned...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:12 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 35595
MaliA wrote:


Why traffic jams suddenly appear on motorways for no apparent reason.

People drive too close, brake too hard.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mr Russell, NervousPete, Squirt, Vogons and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.