And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 526 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:43 
baron of techno

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I have thoroughly enjoyed this.

Watched the last two episodes last night. That was brilliant.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Quote:
I didn't mind Gus's final scene. The visual imagery was nightmarish, and I loved that he adjusted his tie before falling over.

Hehe, I was just waiting for him to fall over too. "What's with the terminator shit?" :D

Quote:
Also, I too needed that final trailing shot to realise that Walt poisoned Brock.

Aha, I didn't need it! I was suspecting Walt earlier - after the hospital meeting between Jessie and Walt, and then when Jessie told Walt it wasn't ricin poisoning that clinched it for me - there must have been a tiny tell from Walt and it suddenly made sense. Fucking brilliant acting.

Quote:
For two, the show has been playing up the father/son relationship between Jesse and Walt, but now Walt has poisoned that as he poisoned Brock -- and we've seen Jesse becoming more and more confident as time passes, less and less in Walt's shadow (think of him cooking for the Cartel). I think we are gradually seeing Walt and Jesse come into an epic conflict that will be the major arc of the final season.

I think you're right.
We might see them as heads of the rival factions - Cartel vs Los Pollos Hermanos. Also: The revenge of Hank.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:36 

Breaking Bad wrap parties are awesome; Aaron Paul and Bryan Cranston apparently come in fancy dress:

(look closely)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:38 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:40 

Haha, superb! :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 14:46 

kalmar wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I have thoroughly enjoyed this.

Watched the last two episodes last night. That was brilliant.

Quote:
I didn't mind Gus's final scene. The visual imagery was nightmarish, and I loved that he adjusted his tie before falling over.

Hehe, I was just waiting for him to fall over too. "What's with the terminator shit?" :D

Quote:
Also, I too needed that final trailing shot to realise that Walt poisoned Brock.

Aha, I didn't need it! I was suspecting Walt earlier - after the hospital meeting between Jessie and Walt, and then when Jessie told Walt it wasn't ricin poisoning that clinched it for me - there must have been a tiny tell from Walt and it suddenly made sense. Fucking brilliant acting.

Quote:
For two, the show has been playing up the father/son relationship between Jesse and Walt, but now Walt has poisoned that as he poisoned Brock -- and we've seen Jesse becoming more and more confident as time passes, less and less in Walt's shadow (think of him cooking for the Cartel). I think we are gradually seeing Walt and Jesse come into an epic conflict that will be the major arc of the final season.

I think you're right.
We might see them as heads of the rival factions - Cartel vs Los Pollos Hermanos. Also: The revenge of Hank.

I was expecting to see Mike resurface in the final episode. For ages I thought it was going to be him who finally killed Gus.

I like Mike though, he's cool.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 15:05 

markg wrote:
I was expecting to see Mike resurface in the final episode. For ages I thought it was going to be him who finally killed Gus.

Vince Gilligan said:
that writing Mike out for the last few episodes was entirely because the writers couldn't find any believable way for Walt to prevail if Mike was on the scene!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:48 
PC Gamer

This took a long time to grab me. Season one I appreciated the craft with which the show was put together but didn't find it especially compelling. Season two the first Tio episode is pretty amazing but I found the season as a whole pretty up-and-down. Seasons 3 and 4 are amazing. I initially told anyone who'd listen that they were on a par with the first two series of Deadwood, then I re-watched the first two series of Deadwood and realised I was talking rubbish but Almost As Good As Deadwood is still PRETTY FUCKING OUTSTANDINGLY GOOD.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:53 

Deadwood was great. But it's just such a shame that it never got finished.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 16:52 
Excellent Member

I've just finished my Breaking Bad marathon (my first time watching all four seasons) and I LOVED it. Such superb writing and story-telling. And Bryan Cranston is outstandingly good.

The show isn't flawless by any means, I could pick a few small holes, but generally speaking it's been the best thing that I've watched since The Wire. In fact, I have to say that I enjoyed it a little more than The Wire.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:03 
SavyGamer

Only a month till series 5. Cannot wait.

Theories on how it's going to end?

I reckon he'll end up getting into a situation where he makes the decision to sacrifice his family. That's the only line he's not crossed yet. It'll be some mad power/money grab, or whatever, and he'll end up rich, powerful, and alone.

Edit: and here's a trailer for series 5:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:52 
Excellent Member

Poster for season 4:

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj11 ... rt-796.jpg

(something of an overall spoiler in the four words of the poster text, so if you want to avoid any and ALL spoilers, don't look at it! :) )

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:44 
SavyGamer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:14 
Excellent Member

Must ............. resist ..................

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:22 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

In preparation for tonight's new season here's a 10 minute recap of the previous four seasons

http://www.slate.com/articles/video/sla ... ideo_.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:23 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Excellent start to the new series, Walts cleaning up some loose ends after the conclusion of the last series and high jinxs ensue (there is at least one moment where I laughed out loud). There is also some foreshadowing of how the series will end at the beginning of the programme (I'm assuming).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 16:05 
PC Gamer

Last week's episode was an absolute barnstormer. The revelation of Skyler's "plan" made me physically gasp. Can't believe there's only 3 more before it goes away again for a while.

Also: my squad in Hunters 2 are named Walter, Jesse, Mike and Saul aka "Ones Who Knock". :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 16:13 

Rodafowa wrote:
Can't believe there's only 3 more before it goes away again for a while.
Ah!

wikipedia wrote:
The second half of the split season is said to be premiering in summer 2013.

So that's how they're handling

The long lead time between what we're seeing now and the flash-forward cold opener -- a full year, based on Walt's birthday bacon. Although that could be for his fake ID rather than his real birthday, the cancer and hair and beard growth suggests it's a while.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:41 
SavyGamer

That ending.

:blown:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 21:13 

NOOOOO

AN ENTIRE YEAR TO WAIT

NOOOOOOOOOO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:01 
Excellent Member

Excellent ending, but having to wait until July 2013 for the final 8 episodes will be utter torture!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:16 
Goth

I tried watching Breaking Bad series 1 but it made me feel unhappy so I stopped watching it. Does it get any more fun or cheerful?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:16 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I didn't get on with it at all.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:18 

DerekFME wrote:
I tried watching Breaking Bad series 1 but it made me feel unhappy so I stopped watching it. Does it get any more fun or cheerful?

Nope.
Craster wrote:
I didn't get on with it at all.
You're wrong. HTH, HAND.

Depending on what happens in the last eight episodes -- and so far, the show hasn't put a foot wrong, so I have high hopes -- there's every chance this will become my Favourite TV Show Ever.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:23 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Yeah, I'll accept that. I gave it a go - got eight episodes in - and there was literally nothing in me that made me want to put on another episode. Oh well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:26 

It took longer than average to click for me. 5-6 episodes, maybe more. The unbearable tension was off putting.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:34 
SavyGamer

I would say there are some fantastic moments of levity, and it's got some excellent (dark) humour too, but it's mostly all about tension, and watching our heroes get themselves into seemingly impossible situations, but then finding some way out.

That and watching someone totally transform into someone that is almost completely unrecognisable from who they once were, and seeing every little change happen right there on screen.

I love it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:56 
Excellent Member

LewieP wrote:
I would say there are some fantastic moments of levity, and it's got some excellent (dark) humour too, but it's mostly all about tension, and watching our heroes get themselves into seemingly impossible situations, but then finding some way out.

That and watching someone totally transform into someone that is almost completely unrecognisable from who they once were, and seeing every little change happen right there on screen.

I love it.

Sounds about right - I'd go further and say that there are some great moments of humour, but the humour does slowly lessen as the seasons progress, although the stories then ramp up the drama.

I watched the first episode a couple of years ago and didn't like it AT ALL - but just over a year ago I decided to try it again (my moods are variable!) and I loved it. Haven't looked back since and now have seasons 1 to 4 on Blu-ray and have watched them all the way through three times this year. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 13:09 
PC Gamer

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
It took longer than average to click for me. 5-6 episodes, maybe more. The unbearable tension was off putting.

Ditto. The turning point for me was the second episode of the second season, which is where I went from appreciating the craft of what I was watching but not being terribly engaged to ZOMG!!!!

I'm rewatching the series at the moment. I've just gotten to the second season episode that opens with the ballad of Heisenburg and ends with The Tortuga Incident. So yeah, there's humour and yeah, it's pretty damned black.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:13 
Hello Hello Hello

I bought Season 1 and Season 2 from HMV yesterday for £12 each, which seemed very reasonable.

I watched the first episode last night and whilst it didn't absolutely grab as the best thing ever, it most certainly held my interest and made me want to watch more, which I would have done except it was getting very late.

I had been talking to someone at work about it and he said what's also been said in this thread, that it can take a few episodes to really get under your skin and from that point onwards it's absolutely compulsive viewing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:35 
Excellent Member

Keep watching - a huge amount of goodness is in store for you. :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 0:54 
Hello Hello Hello

Three episodes in and it's properly got its hooks into me now.

By fuck it's a bit dark though.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:03 
SavyGamer

All aspects of Breaking Bad escalate exponentially over time.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:22 
Excellent Member

Great show, I'm up to date with it.

Don't understand why they are ending it at 5 seasons and why they have to drag it out over another year.

They could easily do 7 like Mad Men.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:30 
Excellent Member

asfish wrote:

Don't understand why they are ending it at 5 seasons and why they have to drag it out over another year.

AMC are the ones responsible for dragging out season 5 over two years (it's all down to the usual issue - money).

I'd rather it ended while it was still strong and fresh - it could end up as a weaker show if they went beyond five seasons.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:43 
Hello Hello Hello

Well surely he's like, going to die of terminal inoperable lung cancer before too long? (NO SPOILZ PLEASE I've only watched three episodes of Season One up to now.)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:10 
Excellent Member

Keep watching ..................... :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:40 
Excellent Member

Four_Candles wrote:
asfish wrote:

AMC are the ones responsible for dragging out season 5 over two years (it's all down to the usual issue - money).

I'd rather it ended while it was still strong and fresh - it could end up as a weaker show if they went beyond five seasons.

How do they make any more money dragging it out though? There is a set number of episodes with a set ammount they can get for adds

It could have stood one more season, not now as they have closed up at lot of story lines in S5

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:58 

asfish wrote:
It could have stood one more season, not now as they have closed up at lot of story lines in S5

Given how astonishingly good it has been so far I think I'm going to trust the creators to decide when to end it. I'm also not that fussed about waiting a year to see the conclusion.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:23 
Excellent Member

asfish wrote:
Four_Candles wrote:
asfish wrote:

How do they make any more money dragging it out though? There is a set number of episodes with a set ammount they can get for adds

As I understand it, it's all down to allocated budget - AMC couldn't afford to finance 16 episodes in one year, so they split them across two years instead.

However, other reasons have also been mooted (AMC trying to stretch out the series for example) - a Google search will unearth all kinds of theories. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 22:36 
Hello Hello Hello

Just watched the 'talking pillow' episode (yes I still am on Series 1, it takes me ages to watch stuff).

Holy fucking shit it's good telly.

I've read that Walt is supposed to become an antagonist as opposed to a protagonist as it goes on, but at the moment I'm rooting for the dude 100%, yeah he's killed a couple of folks and yeah he's cooking up meth, but I still want him to win with no reservations whatsoever.

A brilliant watch, damn near captivating at times, in the literal sense of the word.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 22:41 
SavyGamer

For me, even at his darkest moments, I'm still somewhat rooting for him.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 22:38 
Hello Hello Hello

Just finished Season 1, got the Season 2 boxset ready to go, will of course be ordering Seasons 3 and 4 from HMV so I can follow onto them.

So then!

I still want Walt to win, he's been dragged to some dark places and he's INVOLUNTARILY caused some dreadful side effects off the back of that, like the pot-smoking janitor getting fired.

But he still strikes me as a character with a fundamentally moral core, his key mission, his absolute goal with what he has left of his life, to provide for his family after his death, is noble. He doesn't set out to cause harm, and he clearly regrets it when his actions cause pain in others.

I suppose some may think 'He's cooking meth HE'S BREAKING DA LAW HE'S A BADDIE' but I have as much respect for the drug laws both in the UK and the USA as the respect I afford to a steaming fucking dog turd on the ground, so that argument can get fucked.

By the end of Season 1, I was well and truly rooting for Walt and Jesse, and I'm not sure how that's going to change.

I am genuinely relishing finding out what Season 2 throws up.

Best telly ever? Not far off.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 22:43 
Excellent Member

I can't think of anything to say that wouldn't spoil things. Just .......... keep watching!

Oh, and do beg, steal or borrow seasons 3 and 4 ASAP - as soon as you get to the end of season 2 you'll be begging to watch season 3, then season 4, then of course 5 ..........

Do you have a Netflix account? Seasons 1 to 4 are available there too. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 22:57 
I still haven't seen the last season of it. Hopefully they'll have it on the plane.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 23:31 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I have caved, and Sick Beard will be acquiring this for me soonest.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:21 
PC Gamer

Four_Candles wrote:
I can't think of anything to say that wouldn't spoil things. Just .......... keep watching!

Ditto.

For people who're up to date:
One of the many, many things I like about Breaking Bad is that it sets up that comfortable, familiar trope that evil can be justified by the "fundamental nobility" of protecting the people you love and then spends the rest of the series systematically kicking the shit out of it. Walter White is (aha) a cancer, spreading to poison everything around him both literally and figuratively. It tells us that just looking out for you and yours at the expense of society at large doesn't make you noble, it makes you a monster.

The show presents Walter as A Good Man Driven To Desperate Ends but then almost immediately starts undermining that impression. It's not cancer that starts him cooking meth, it's pride. In the second (third?) episode of the series he's offered a lucrative job that will ensure he gets the best possible treatment for his condition, and he turns it down because it's not making sure that his family are provided for that matters to Walter, it's that HE provides for his family. Everything that follows, all the people who get directly, indirectly or casually fucked by the ripple-effects of the meth business aren't victims of Walter's love for his wife and son, they're victims of his hypocricy and towering ego.

That desire for control and its flip side, the desperate need to be appreciated for what he's done, not only puts him on the path to becoming Heisenberg but is also at the core of pretty much every fucked-up situation in the series. Walter thinks he's the smartest guy in every room (and he's frequently right) and thinks he can see all the angles (and he's frequently wrong). Over and over he's sure that everything will be safe, smooth sailing if he can just achieve... something. Killing Tuco, selling meth as well as making it, getting into partnership with Gus, killing Gale, killing Gus, robbing the train - every time Heisenberg is absolutely certain (aha) it's the last thing he needs to do to make things work and every time there are unintended concequences that prove him spectacularly wrong. Not only does he fail to learn from these mistakes, he actually gets worse so that by the end of Season 4 his ego has almost completely consumed him. He's wearing his Heisenberg outfit even at home because he doesn't want to be Walter White the father, husband and provider. He wants to be Heisenberg, the shadowy mastermind who's respected and feared. He's the one who knocks. He's in the empire business. Say his name. Say it.

In the wake of shooting Mike, Walter finally has a moment of clarity and catches a glimpse of who he's become. Possibly in combination with a recurrance of his cancer it drives him to try and climb out of the hole he's dug for himself but once again he's betrayed by his own hubris. Walter has pulled the wool over Hank's eyes so often he's stopped seeing his brother-in-law as a threat and so leaves incriminating evidence lying around in plain sight. And so finally it's Walter, rather than everyone around him, who's about to reap what he's sowed for the last four seasons.

tl,dr - Walter White: fuck that guy.

/poormansNervyPete

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:08 
Excellent Member

Very nice analysis. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 22:23 
Hello Hello Hello

Working my way through Season 2 now.

I swear I simply can't ever remember any TV series getting under my skin like this, time just sort of 'warps' when I'm watching it, 10 or 15 or 20 minutes disappears because I'm so involved with what's going on. (I get quite itchy when a programme or film doesn't hold my attention, and jiggle my mouse a bit so VLC tells me how much longer is left to go. I never do that with Breaking Bad.)

It makes me laugh one minute, want to cry the next, then I'm on the edge of my seat with the sheer fucking tension of it all, then I'm just wanting to see Walt fucking destroy a motherfucker, then it just blows me away with a moment of genuine effective pathos and emotion, and I'm just so involved with the characters, everyone in this thing is interesting, wherever they place on the goodie or baddie spectrum.

Pure genius, stunningly good, absolutely brilliant.

Like Tuco's old man doing his 'one ding on the bell' thing, the nervous tension that managed to generate from so very little, masterful stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 22:23 
INFINITE POWAH

You know they cut it, right?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 22:35 
Hello Hello Hello

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
You know they cut it, right?

It certainly has been cut for some broadcasts/releases, but the UK DVDs are uncut.

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=868189

(The 'cuts' detailed there, for example, are all intact on the UK DVDs.)

Reply to topic  [ 526 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next