Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Walking
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:58 
Isn't that lovely?

Because my main bus (I get 2 normally) to work has become crapper (3 busses in the morning have become 1, leaving later, stopping at more places, and arriving much later) I have decided to walk to work once I get off the first bus, this is a 2 mile walk, I also live about a mile away from the bus stop in Ivybridge, so I'm doing about 6 miles a day when I come into the office.

Yesterday I walked to the polling office, which added another mile to the journey, and then played basketball in the garden with the kids.

My pedometer says I did 14K burning almost 1000 calories at an average of 4km/h (which includes all the ambling around the office, it takes me 30 minutes to do the 2 mile walk into the office, which suggests walking at 4mph which is about 6.4km/h)

Anyone else do much walking?

Malc

Post subject: Re: Walking
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:05 
Unpossible!

On my bus days, I do a mile into town and a mile back out. I do a couple of miles with the baby most evenings to give MrsPaz a break. Weekends have become walkathons as wherever we go, we generally end up walking everywhere. I wish I'd taken a pedometer to New York and Rome as we didn't use public transport at all when we went to either city.

One day in NY, we walked from Central Park down to Battery Park and back whilst crossing the island from the Hudson to the Brooklyn side twice. :S

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:10 
ugvm'er at heart...

When I was crashing with my folks during the week, and commuting in to London, I used to do 30 minutes to the train station, then 30 minutes through London to the office every morning, then the opposite in the evening. I worked it out to be about 7 miles a day.

At the start I was knackered in the evening, but after a week or so I didn't even feel it anymore, and felt much healthier and fitter in general. The morning walk was lovely, the evening walk home from the train station to my parents not so much. Most times it was ok, but there were some days where the last thing I wanted after a late night at the office, a series of delayed trains, and piss poor weather, was a 30 minute walk left to go till I got home...

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:18 
Unpossible!

Map of day 3 in New York. In 35 degree heat. Loved it.

Edit: That's google interpolating between the points of interest. There was a lot of wandering around in circles too :)

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:44 

I do a heck of a lot of walking, both because I enjoy it and because I can never be bothered to faff with bike locks and punctures. I used to walk 20 minutes to secondary school, then 40 minutes to my sixth-form college! These days, I get to walk into work which is always a good chance to catch up on podcasts and suchlike.

I love wandering aimlessly around new towns: it's the best way to explore them. And as an Englishman, I do go out in the midday sun!

Central Park to the Battery? Pah! I walked there from Grant's Tomb (which I couldn't help thinking would make an excellent bar).

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:46 
Unpossible!

Kern wrote:
Central Park to the Battery? Pah! I walked there from Grant's Tomb (which I couldn't help thinking would make an excellent bar).

I have to ask... did you have a pregnant woman with you who INSISTED that flip flops where the way to go? :D

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:46 

DavPaz wrote:
I have to ask... did you have a pregnant woman with you who INSISTED that flip flops where the way to go? :D

:D

Sadly not!

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 21:44 
I forgot about this - how vain

I do about 30 mins walking during my commute to work (split either side a bus & train journey), but I often skip the bus out, making it about an hour or so longer walk.

Normally I would be bored to tedium during such a long walk, but I've discovered that "reading" audiobooks whilst walking is positively brilliant.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]