All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Google Android Apps and Games
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:43 
Excellent Member

Mr Dave wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
The silly thing is, if it does lob up any paywalls I'll just quit in disgust, whereas if they charged a tenner for a well-balanced, complete game from the off, I'd have cheerfully paid it.

If it had cost money right from the start you might never have given it a shot though, the fact it was free meant there was no risk in trying it out. I maintain that the best model is for the game to be free initially to let you see whether you like it then have a single payment to unlock the rest of it. So having a free 'demo' basically.

Sounds suspiciously like shareware to me.

:shrug: What's 'suspicious' about it?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:53 
ugvm'er at heart...

Hearthly wrote:
Hmmmm that Heroes Of The Alpha Arena is uncomfortably blatant in its Blizzard robbery for my taste TBH, plus the several spelling mistakes in that video alone were doing my nut in. Gameplay seemed slow too, whereas Summoners War on 3x autoplay really rips along.

Like all of these games, as you level up you unlock 2x speed, auto play options etc...
One thing that put me off Summoners was how slow it was compared to Heroes! :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:31 
Hello Hello Hello

Bamba wrote:
If it had cost money right from the start you might never have given it a shot though, the fact it was free meant there was no risk in trying it out. I maintain that the best model is for the game to be free initially to let you see whether you like it then have a single payment to unlock the rest of it. So having a free 'demo' basically.

Yeah that'd work better come to think about it. I've had about 10 hours play out of Summoners War thusfar, if it said '£9.99 to unlock the rest of the game, no further in-app purchases' - I'd go for that.

@Trooper - The 3x autoplay option is available right from the off in the game, and it proper rattles along in that mode.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:56 
Excellent Member

I've heard quite a bit of chat about I have No Mouth, And I Must Scream over the years but is it actually worth playing? Or is it just notable for being weird?

ETA: for anyone who can't be arsed clicking on the link, it's just been released for Android and iOS hence my question here.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:32 
Gogmagog

What is Amazon Underground? I downloaded Monument Valley from it, and now feel I shouldn't have .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 22:15 
Excellent Member

It's just Amazon's Android app store. Due to presumably some kind of background payments to the devs they offer a lot of games for free, including Monument Valley. It's all perfectly legit like. While you're there you should also grab Hitman GO, Tomb Raider GO and Deus Ex GO because they're all excellent and free on Underground.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 13:46 
ugvm'er at heart...

This seems as good a place as any.

What's new in the world on Android gaming, game fans? I have three games on the go at the moment, but 2 of them are hateful freemium cash grabs, with no actual game in them, just buttons to press to make you part with more money... Yet I still play them everyday. 1 game i'm playing is actually good though.

Good:
Motorsport Manager 3
I stayed up way too late last night, playing this. If you haven't played the previous couple of them, it's basically Game Dev Story but for car racing, if you haven't played Game Dev Story, it's Theme Park for games, if you haven't played Theme Park, it's Sim City for theme parks, if you haven't played Sim City, just fuck off.
Relatively simple to pick up, but with enough complexity for it to seem like your choices actually matter, i've moved up to the tier 3 races and have gone from winning everything, to being mid pack. However, some genius tyre management got me a race win during a part dry/part wet race, which was very satisfying. It works offline too, which is great for the patchy wifi on the commute.
£3.99,which ain't a bad price, but has extra money options to buy in game cash, which is a bit of a cheek. Haven't run out of money yet though, and don't feel like my progress is being blocked by not spending real cash. Let's see if that lasts.

Bad yet addictive:
Marvel Strike Force
Another Summoner's Tale "RPG" clone. Has a lot of polish, has loads of superheroes in it. Started off really well as it seemed to have learnt some lessons from Galaxy of Heroes, there was loads to do and loads of characters were viable.
Then the meta happened, and all the big teams were carbon copies, and then the devs started to fuck it up, loads of changes that just made the game worse to play and harder to achieve anything. Ridiculous pricing of characters if you were ever tempted to buy (£45 for one single character at the lowest level...) (I haven't put any money into this game, and won't). The reddit forum has gone from "this game is great" to every post being a complaint about how shit everything is. The forum is more fun than the game now. I don't know why I'm still playing, other than it only takes me 20 minutes to do everything I want to do, and i'm interested to see how it all turns out after the latest debacle...
Online only, which means I can't play it on the commute, as it is terribly programmed and assumes you are online at all times, or it just breaks.

Hustle Castle:
Same as the above, but a bit more fun and with a dev team that are a bit more generous. Kinda a cross between Summoner's tale and Fallout Shelter. Easy enough to play, pretty funny, and it's more of an idle game than an active game. I can drop in a couple of times during the day, join a clan war, fight some invasions, gear up my characters, and be on my way. I've actually paid these guys £4 to get a premium account, as they seem to know what they are doing and I don't mind support a game that I actually quite enjoy.

What are you guys playing right now, anything I should be checking out on my daily commute?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 13:50 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The Friday 13th puzzle game is fun.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .f13puzzle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 13:54 
ugvm'er at heart...

Grim... wrote:

Played that for a bit, it was quite fun, not sure why I stopped?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 14:09 
UltraMod

The Motorsport Manager games are really good. The PC version has a lot of depth in particular.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 14:15 
Excellent Member

If you look at my posts in the Finish 52 threads, anything that's presented as a link is an Android game linked to it's Google Play store page. This search link presents it in as convenient a format as I can manage:

https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... mit=Search

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 14:19 
Excellent Member

Recent good picks though would be:

Part Time UFO
Gorogoa
Unpuzzle
Faraway and it's two sequels

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 14:48 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I'm liking legends of Skyrim card game. Similar to hearthstone, so if you don't like that I wouldn't bother.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 15:37 
ugvm'er at heart...

Bobbyaro wrote:
I'm liking legends of Skyrim card game. Similar to hearthstone, so if you don't like that I wouldn't bother.

I do like Hearthstone! Or I did, haven't played it for a while. I might give that a go, but I think i'm over card games now, all the ones that aren't Hearthstone seem to pride themselves on being more complex. I don't want more complex, i'm shit enough at Hearthstone as it is.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 15:39 
ugvm'er at heart...

Bamba wrote:
Recent good picks though would be:

Part Time UFO
Gorogoa
Unpuzzle
Faraway and it's two sequels

Ta, Unpuzzle looks like it might be my kinda thing, I have installed it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 19:28 

Trooper wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:

I do like Hearthstone! Or I did, haven't played it for a while. I might give that a go, but I think i'm over card games now, all the ones that aren't Hearthstone seem to pride themselves on being more complex. I don't want more complex, i'm shit enough at Hearthstone as it is.

It levels, you can add complexity, or not and you play by monthly tiers, the people you are planning are of a similarity level.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 19:28 

Obviously, also, you can get hearthstone!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 23:24 
ugvm'er at heart...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... r&hl=en_GB

Hawk: Freedom Squadron

I've been playing this most of the afternoon. It's a bullet hell shooter, with the usual freemium 3-star levels and grinding to upgrade ships etc... With a pretty well done co-op mode, and enough people playing that you always get somebody jumping in to help out if you ask for it.
I'm enjoying it thoroughly so far, it'll be interesting to see how long it takes until the paywall hits...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 21:50 
Excellent Member

I just went to install the old faithful ES File Explorer on my girlfriend's phone only to find that it had been dumped from the Play Store over some weird controversy that I can't be arsed digging into. So, what's the best Android file manager now? If you weird kids are even using such archaic things these days.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 22:30 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I use X-Plore, always worked well for me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 22:55 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:
I use X-Plore, always worked well for me.

Awesome, cheers dude.

Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8