Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Google Android Apps and Games
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 18:50 

JesusJoans wrote:
Puzzle Quest 2, Zookeeper & Chu Chu Rocket are all available to suck up your time.

Has anyone else tried Puzzle Quest 2 yet? In the two days since I downloaded it, I still haven't managed to get it to finish downloading the extra data. ?:|

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 19:21 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Just d/l now.

How come some are taxed and some aren't?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 19:27 

Ah, I wondered why Spirit had cost me 12p.

I guess it depends on where they're from, but it's a bit rubbish the VAT isn't included in the price.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 19:41 

spirit is really nice little game.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 21:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

JesusJoans wrote:
JesusJoans wrote:
Puzzle Quest 2, Zookeeper & Chu Chu Rocket are all available to suck up your time.

Has anyone else tried Puzzle Quest 2 yet? In the two days since I downloaded it, I still haven't managed to get it to finish downloading the extra data. ?:|

I had no problems.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 0:56 

Grim... wrote:
JesusJoans wrote:
JesusJoans wrote:

I had no problems.

Hmm, might be an ICS issue, or maybe just something else weird with my phone. If I could work out where it had saved it, I'd get rid of the data and try downloading again.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:46 

Zookeeper. Oh no.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 20:41 

JesusJoans wrote:
I don't think I even want to know how app compatibility is worked out anymore, according to the market, several apps are only compatible with my Galaxy S, but not my other Galaxy S (I've only ever owned one). :shrug:

And now apps that I installed a couple of days ago (and work perfectly well) are no longer compatible with my phone. Not sure why I bother.

Edit: Oh hey, now they're compatible again. :shrug:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 21:03 
Best
Board Mother

JesusJoans wrote:
JesusJoans wrote:
I don't think I even want to know how app compatibility is worked out anymore, according to the market, several apps are only compatible with my Galaxy S, but not my other Galaxy S (I've only ever owned one). :shrug:

And now apps that I installed a couple of days ago (and work perfectly well) are no longer compatible with my phone. Not sure why I bother.

Edit: Oh hey, now they're compatible again. :shrug:

You really need to just stop touching your phone.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 21:09 

It's not my fault that whatever factors Google use to determine compatibility with a device don't in any way match up to actual app to device compatibility.

Anyway, I'm assuming it's because I messed about with my screen density a couple of days ago, which took a while to get picked up by the market, but when it did, it decided I'd suddenly installed a new, differently sized screen in my phone (which, I guess is sort of true, but I've only ever come across 1 app that this change completely breaks), and ruled 90% of things incompatible. I've changed it back and cleared the market data and now everything is magically compatible again, good job I'm the kind of person that likes massive icons on my screen, Google, you complete retards.

Also: Yeah, I know.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 14:40 

So, i got a system update a couple of weeks back, just noticed it has removed the ability to play videos. Nice! I previously had a program to watch avis and stuff on there (because they worked) and now I don't. Why would a system update remove this functionality? anyway, I am d/l mobo video, hopefully it works.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:44 

GTA III & Sonic CD are both out now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:37 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Yoink! Yoink!

In other news, a "Siri contender" : http://androidandme.com/2011/12/news/go ... d-of-year/

That'll piss off the devs of all the existing ones that have been on the Android Market for a while...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 22:24 

Grim... wrote:
Yoink! Yoink!

In other news, a "Siri contender" : http://androidandme.com/2011/12/news/go ... d-of-year/

That'll piss off the devs of all the existing ones that have been on the Android Market for a while...

Did you get GTA to work, people seem to be having issues and it takes longer than 15 minutes to download the data?

If you set your voice search language to English US, you can already do some Voice Actions.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:42 

For non-US people that didn't just steal PvZ when it came out months ago, it's now available for all on the market

Except of course, it's incompatible with my phone. :belm:

Edit - disregard - the first version to show up in the search was the US version, with the European version much further down the page. So Google still gets a :belm: for its terrible search results.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 23:02 
Excellent Member

I was reading this article about Resident Evil 4 being released for Android but only in Korea when I noticed someone in the comments linking to Ridge Racer, Sonic Advance, a remake of Double Dragon, Espgaluda II and some version of Katamari Damacy; but all only in fucking Japan. It's all very odd and you wonder why companies go to the trouble of developer Android versions of what would be popular games but then never bother actually releasing them in certain territories. Do they not want to actually make any money or something? It makes you wonder what other potentially good stuff is out there but being effectively hidden for no reason.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 23:04 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Joans wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Yoink! Yoink!

Did you get GTA to work

No. I deleted it because it was too big to have it and sonic on my phone at the same time, and when I deleted Sonic because it was crap I was told GTA wasn't compatible with my phone any more and I couldn't download it. I should probably ask for my money back.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 23:16 

Bamba wrote:
I was reading this article about Resident Evil 4 being released for Android but only in Korea when I noticed someone in the comments linking to Ridge Racer, Sonic Advance, a remake of Double Dragon, Espgaluda II and some version of Katamari Damacy; but all only in fucking Japan. It's all very odd and you wonder why companies go to the trouble of developer Android versions of what would be popular games but then never bother actually releasing them in certain territories. Do they not want to actually make any money or something? It makes you wonder what other potentially good stuff is out there but being effectively hidden for no reason.

Ridge Racer, Sonic and Katamari appear to be free anyway, so this will require further investigation over the weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 18:40 

New Dropbox beta available - here
Finally has automatic photo/video uploading, and if you get near your capacity, you get more space (up to 5 gig apparently, mine's up to 2.5 at the moment).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 19:37 
Excellent Member

After realising the official Dropbox app wouldn't allow me to choose which folders on the phone to sync I ditched it for this and it's always been pretty solid. Nice UI as well, which makes a change.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 22:11 

Just hit the 5 gig mark. :)
In other news, Chrome is finally out for ICS only

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 22:37 
Unpossible!

Joans wrote:
Just hit the 5 gig mark. :)
In other news, Chrome is finally out for ICS only

Want

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 21:45 

This might be best elsewhere, but I'll try for some help in here first.
My mum's just got an Android phone on PAYG, and has come to me for various bits of advice, but I'm not really sure how to even deal with it on a PAYG basis. I don't think she's got a google account, so I've skipped that (although I think it's probably worth her having one at some point). I can turn on the wifi for at home, but she'd like to be able to go on the internet "in emergencies". I've just turned the data off at the first possible opportunity, but what's the best way of letting her be able to use the internet if she wants to, but basically not letting anything else use a data connection unless it really, really has to. I'm almost thinking of something like Tasker, but it seems a bit extreme. Should I just leave data enabled and see if it eats up her credit? What happens to other people on PAYG? Help?

Edit - this is even the wrong Android thread isn't it. :belm:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 23:30 

can you not just turn mobile data on and off as required via a big widgety button?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 23:33 

I'd forgotten you could do that. But is that what people with PAYG phones do?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 23:38 
Comfortably Dumb

Just in case no-one has mentioned it, the latest Humble Bundle deal thingy is available for Android

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:02 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Joans wrote:

I used to do it on my Android phone for when I wanted to save my battery. Perfectly reasonable way of solving your problem.

Also, can she download that "your Orange" app? That'll tell you how much internetz you've used.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:22 
Unpossible!

Stop taking the pith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:26 

TheVision wrote:
Joans wrote:

I used to do it on my Android phone for when I wanted to save my battery. Perfectly reasonable way of solving your problem.

Also, can she download that "your Orange" app? That'll tell you how much internetz you've used.

Would that work if she's on O2?

I don't really want to monitor how much she's using, she can use it as much as she likes, as long as it's her that's using it and not some stupid apps doing stuff at random. Do the data monitoring apps tell you what's using your data, or just how much you've used?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:03 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Is there no data bundled with her PAYG credit?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 14:16 

Grim... wrote:
Is there no data bundled with her PAYG credit?

I think if she tops up enough she gets some sort of allowance, but I'm assuming she can use as much as she likes as long as she's got the credit for it. I'm just trying to make sure the data is being used by her and not some random apps.
Basically, if she ever comes back to me because she thinks she's getting through her credit really quickly, I want to be able to tell her it's because she was on the Internet for ages, not because maps or whatever went crazy and kept polling for a location.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:18 
Meh

Samurai Vs Zombies - You are a samurai and you have to kill all the zombies with power ups/helpers and an rpg element. Addictive and very playable.
Word Scramble with Friends - Make words out of a square of letters. Beat your opponent over three rounds. Unusually for a Zynga game this works perfectly on Android.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:21 
Comfortably Dumb

Nemmie wrote:
Word Scramble - Make words out of a square of letters. Beat your opponent over three rounds. Unusually for a Zynga game this works perfectly on Android.

I've played this a couple of times so far - just against random opponents though. Seems ok, although I need to find a better match. Even paying little attention and using none of the power-ups, I won the games easily. So, if anyone fancies a game, I'm consolemad on there.

I've also been playing Cogs quite a lot too, which is part of the current Humble Bundle. I've already played it a fair bit on Steam but the Android version works pretty well too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:03 
Excellent Member

Cross-posting from the Wongawatch thread. A sequel to official Best Mobile Game Ever* "Where's My Water" called Where's My Perry? has just been released for Android so I've snapped that shit up for a massive <0.64>. I've already got a few games on the go but I'm happy to drop everything else for more Where's My X? goodness.

*As awarded by me and supported by all right-thinking human beings everywhere.

Relatedly, my last few posts in the Wongawatch thread have been about Android games so this should give you a list of them if anyone's interested.

Also relatedly I keep a list of all the Android games I've seen that look good/interesting but that I haven't played yet as a list of bookmarks and that list is getting pretty big. If anyone's interested I could dump the list here (as nicely formatted links obviously) in case it's at all useful to anyone?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:22 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:

I'm all over that shit.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:32 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
I'm all over that shit.

I've only played the first couple of levels but it's pretty much more of the same; which is a good thing in this case given that I've tri-ducked the fuck out of Where's My Water (including all the Cranky DLC). It's a bit less colourful and lacks a bit of the charm of WMW but the core game's obviously just as good.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:02 
Excellent Member

Resurrecting this thread to recommend Waking Mars as an excellent explore-em-up with a unique theme.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:17 
Unpossible!

Bamba wrote:
Resurrecting this thread to recommend Waking Mars as an excellent explore-em-up with a unique theme.

Looks a bit Exile-y. How are the control.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:42 
Excellent Member

DavPaz wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Looks a bit Exile-y. How are the control.

You just tap and hold the screen where you want your guy to move to (he walks and jetpacs around) and off he goes. It's precise enough for the relatively slow pace of the game and I haven't had any major problems with it. Sometime you also need to launch seeds around and that's again just a case of tapping where you want to throw so no problems there.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:43 
Excellent Member

There's a seasonal version of mini pixel adventure game Quiet Please! available called Quiet Christmas which I mention because I think a few people* enjoyed the original. Annoyingly it seems to be exclusive to the shitty Amazon app store but it's easy enough to find on there and it's up for the massive investment of 61p.

*A 'few people' might just actually be 'me and Grimm'.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:48 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Which is enough people to warrant a mention. I did enjoy it, and I'm Yoinking the Christmas one as we speak.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:01 
Excellent Member

Latest entry in the Official Best Mobile Game Franchise Ever, the Where's My X? series, is out and it's Where's My Mickey? I'm on my phone so no link but it's up on Google Play and presumably the App Store now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:21 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

BAM: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... mickey_goo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:27 
Excellent Member

Hmnm, I don't like the cloud mechanic as much as the stuff the other games and DLC have introduced; having to swipe away at them constantly to squeeze water out of them's a bit annoying. I think they're only used in the first level pack though so we'll see what the others bring when I get there.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 20:35 
Excellent Member

McPixel, Waking Mars and Nightsky have just been added to the already silly number of good games in the latest Humble Android Bundle. Nightsky especially is excellent, though I really enjoyed Waking Mars as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:26 
Excellent Member

As buried by me in the Bits & Bobs thread; all right-minded people should currently be playing McPixel because it's an utterly lunatic mix of Warioware and old-school point & click adventuring that will make your brain feel a bit wrong.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... os.mcpixel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 15:30 
ugvm'er at heart...

Downloading.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 16:04 

I have recently enjoyed Granny Smith. There is a free demo so you can make up your own mind. For free!

Also, 10000000 is pure addiction lasting about 3.5 hours (I shouldn't wonder if it has been covered already somewhere on Beex). It's an action puzzler sort of similar to Zoo Keeper, but you must match your actions with a D&D-style narrative, and level up armour/weapons etc. between games.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 22:02 
ugvm'er at heart...

Bamba wrote:
As buried by me in the Bits & Bobs thread; all right-minded people should currently be playing McPixel because it's an utterly lunatic mix of Warioware and old-school point & click adventuring that will make your brain feel a bit wrong.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... os.mcpixel

Good fun, but destroys my battery!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 22:29 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mine too, the phone got super hot.

I didn't really "get" it.

Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next