Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 3449 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 69  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dungeons and Dragons
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 13:22 
Skillmeister

Gillybinglyboops, can we gather up our scattered caltrops? not a one slowed or injured anything.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 13:59 
Ready for action

Dimrill wrote:
Gillybinglyboops, can we gather up our scattered caltrops? not a one slowed or injured anything.

Yeah, they didn't trap anybody so they can be collected undamaged.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 14:02 
Paws for thought

Nobody even tried to go through mine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 14:10 
Hibernating Druid

Think of all the XP though! :luv:

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 14:11 
Hibernating Druid

Should I be quietly asking if any of these Greenskins are Harpist members?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 14:47 
Ready for action

Zardoz wrote:
Think of all the XP though! :luv:

I actually looked out of curiosity at the end of the night last night. If any of you are interested about some of the background mechanics behind XP and levelling, here are some rambles.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
For context, when the DM calculates XP they total up all XP earned for encounters completed and then divide it by the number of people in the party so last night would have been worth about 2700 total, which would 'only' have been 540 each. My main reason for opting for milestone levelling is because it's a little less admin for me (I don't need to log every encounter and number of NPCs and challenge rating and then calculate XP and divide it amongst you) but also because it means I can make sure that as a party, you're all around the right level for the section of the adventure you're in and I don't need to grind out random wilderness encounters with you just to make sure you level up before a big story point.
When calculating XP for an encounter, it's usually based on the challenge rating and number of NPCs you deal with and typically, a roleplay resolution will award the same XP as a combat resolution although of course in some cases, a roleplay resolution won't be possible. A good example of this was Agatha; if you'd tried to fight her, best case she would just have disappeared. Worst case, she would have handily killed at least one of you before getting bored and moving on.

TLDR: Still a fair bit to go before you hit L5. Maybe ZarToad will even have managed to swallow someone by then!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 14:49 
Ready for action

I'd be interested to hear what people think about the game of Dungeon and Dragons now that you've had a few roleplay encounters and multiple battles, including a full roleplay session and a full combat session. What aspects of the game do you prefer? What aspects of the game do you like least?

I'd also be interested to hear what you thought about the combat last night; were you scared for the party or did it feel too easy?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 14:54 
Paws for thought

sdg wrote:
I'd be interested to hear what people think about the game of Dungeon and Dragons now that you've had a few roleplay encounters and multiple battles, including a full roleplay session and a full combat session. What aspects of the game do you prefer? What aspects of the game do you like least?

I'd also be interested to hear what you thought about the combat last night; were you scared for the party or did it feel too easy?

It did not feel too easy. Shuu feels very low on resources.

Krung is chuckling away to himself.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 14:56 
Ready for action

Dimrill wrote:
Sorry I was so quiet. I normally bugger off and cut myself off from the world rather than let anyone see/hear me in a low.

I'm glad you joined and I hope that if it didn't make you feel any better, it at least served as a bit of a distraction. If you don't feel up to it in future just let me know and there won't be any hard feelings or judgement for skipping a week but I hope you know that even if you're not feeling as talkative, I still value you being there as part of our wee D&D family with no expectations on you for how much energy or jokes you have to bring :luv:

Plus, we wouldn't have gotten one my favourite visuals of the night (after Shuu swashbuckling his waythrough multiple goblins while his cape billowed behind him and blasts of Eldritch energy and fire exploded around his head) of Ermintrude rolling his eyes, running out one door, round the outside of the room to come in the other door and eviscerate two Goblin captains while the whole rest of the party swatted ineffectively at them if you hadn't been there.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 14:58 
Skillmeister

sdg wrote:
What aspects of the game do you prefer?

A mixture of the two. I find all combat quite boring, and all fluff without a skirmish too.

sdg wrote:
What aspects of the game do you like least?

Sudden wizards appearing out of a bush at the scene of a bloody ambush and abduction only to have 3/4s of the party deciding to trust them for some reason.

sdg wrote:

I was hoping that those three hobgoblins we kilted in the previous session were the only ones of their type there as they're really hard to hit. I was worried when I saw another 6(?) of them show up in the battle list. Hence why I suggested we barricade and defend a chokepoint. And I could've probably kept the sodding taod alive if I'd remembered to use my sentinel feat again.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 15:12 
Paws for thought

Dimrill wrote:
sdg wrote:

A mixture of the two. I find all combat quite boring, and all fluff without a skirmish too.

sdg wrote:

Sudden wizards appearing out of a bush at the scene of a bloody ambush and abduction only to have 3/4s of the party deciding to trust them for some reason.

sdg wrote:

I was hoping that those three hobgoblins we kilted in the previous session were the only ones of their type there as they're really hard to hit. I was worried when I saw another 6(?) of them show up in the battle list. Hence why I suggested we barricade and defend a chokepoint. And I could've probably kept the sodding taod alive if I'd remembered to use my sentinel feat again.

And similarly, of if noticed that my first level spells slots are now really only handy for small heals, I could've used them on him while you were perverting over ears.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 15:30 
Hibernating Druid

sdg wrote:

I like a mix of story and combat. What I like the most is thinking of creative ways out of situations with all our various abilities. I really like how you've added depth to the characters by items found / Gods visionary dreams / Secret badges etc...

sdg wrote:

Leaving. Seriously though, I like it all.

sdg wrote:

It felt tough! Certainly not easy. First time I think we're in proper trouble now we've used most our abilities this 'day'. Really need to recharge... although the glory of slaughtering our way on is tempting :DD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 15:31 
Skillmeister

Has anyone got a telekenisisieisisisess type spell? Just thinking of those curtains maybe hiding a King. Can the cape billow other objects?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 15:36 
Ready for action

I am in a Discord server with some local D&D friends and I had commented there last week that I thought there was a chance of a TPK this session so I was loving seeing all of your tactics and tricks for surviving that massive wave of enemies.

All of that feedback is gratefully received and will help inform future sessions :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 15:43 
Hibernating Druid

Dimrill wrote:
Has anyone got a telekenisisieisisisess type spell? Just thinking of those curtains maybe hiding a King. Can the cape billow other objects?

Ivo can I think? I can talk to the local Spiders too, always a good source of info I find.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 15:46 
Skillmeister

I've got several bost bows. I'll lash them together with their strings and get one of the cloakish types to open the cortins while I stand ready. Maybe Shuu can clean up a part from one of the bost scimitars to a mirror shine and we can lash that on the end to see around corners.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 16:06 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

I have Mage Hand, allowing me to do things at a distance! With a hand!

I do like the occasional "hard" fight! It felt quite "last standy" for a moment there - the feeling that if the gobbos had managed to force one entrance and come flooding through we might have been in trouble. I think a hard fight just out in the open would have been a lot less fun though, as the terrain and doors and tables makes things a lot more interesting. I think there comes a point where really easy fights are just not worth it, and it's best just to handwave them away like with the skeletons.

Seeing as the King must know we're here now, I think we might have to pile on straight away, lest he scarper with ( or murder ) ol' Gundren.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 16:08 
Hibernating Druid

Stock check:
Toad healed back up from 2hp! to 25
Option to use spell slots to regenerate some more...
or
When/if Druid I have:
3 lvl 1 spell slots Entangle / Talk to Animals / Cure Wounds / Healing Word
1 lvl 2 spell slot Moonbeam / Pass Without Trace*

Oh and produce flame cantrip and some other bollocks

*Should we just try and sneak the fuck out of here? :DD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 16:10 
Paws for thought

i think ur main aim should be finding gundren. if we can get him out alive, everything else is secondary (and can be returned to once we're a bit recovered)

I'm a bit worried about fighting a king without the ability to make his clothes red hot.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 16:28 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

I have a single 2nd level spell slot, one charge of "Shield" left in my magical rod ( but using that will empty it, giving it a 5% chance of breaking ) and some scrolls, which i have written down somewhere but putting rhem in the inventory is a massive pain in the butt so I'll have to dig them out. Oh, and I also have a whistle.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 16:37 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Also, I think this is where Ermintrude really comes into their own. They can keep cracking skulls left and right after we've all run out of special powers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 16:43 
Paws for thought

Wheras I have 1 bardic die, 3 lvl1 slots whcih can be used for feather fall (not useful in this instance), thunderwave (Probably not useful) and cure wounds, Rather wishing I'd used these to heal up our toad rather than the lvl 2 slot. (And given the numbers I rolled, would've been more effective too) and down by 12 hit points. (although Shuu has quite a good pool of these now)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 17:06 
Skillmeister

I have full health and three out of four superiority dice. I reckon we can take him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 17:11 
Ready for action

Squirt wrote:
I have a single 2nd level spell slot, one charge of "Shield" left in my magical rod ( but using that will empty it, giving it a 5% chance of breaking ) and some scrolls, which i have written down somewhere but putting rhem in the inventory is a massive pain in the butt so I'll have to dig them out. Oh, and I also have a whistle.

That staff saved your life. That, and a low damage roll one of the times you were hit. The next time a Hobgoblin hit someone it was Zardoth and I think they dealt 17 damage in just the first strike. There were at least four strikes that only missed you because of the Shield spells from the staff, including one turn when both strikes should have hit you and then the next in initiative order was the next Hobgoblin in front of you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 17:12 
Skillmeister

Don't risk the staff! Your rolls will almost certainly kill it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 17:14 
Ready for action

Dimrill wrote:
Don't risk the staff! Your rolls will almost certainly kill it.

Giphy "natural one":
https://media1.giphy.com/media/ZaQvazFTg0kNpEWQCu/giphy-loop.mp4

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 17:14 
Ready for action

No giphy. Just no.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 17:15 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

sdg wrote:
Squirt wrote:

That staff saved your life. That, and a low damage roll one of the times you were hit. The next time a Hobgoblin hit someone it was Zardoth and I think they dealt 17 damage in just the first strike. There were at least four strikes that only missed you because of the Shield spells from the staff, including one turn when both strikes should have hit you and then the next in initiative order was the next Hobgoblin in front of you.

The lesson I have taken from this is that Ivo should be front-and-centre of any fight, bravely taking on hobgoblins, bandits and eye-monsters without fear!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 17:16 
Ready for action

Squirt wrote:
sdg wrote:
Squirt wrote:

The lesson I have taken from this is that Ivo should be front-and-centre of any fight, bravely taking on hobgoblins, bandits and eye-monsters without fear!

Xunt would be so proud. Or indifferent. Or possibly inexplicably angry.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 17:17 
Skillmeister

Haven't seen much carving his name on walls ;P

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 17:29 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Dimrill wrote:
Haven't seen much carving his name on walls ;P

I've been carving it on oak trees as we pass them, but very quietly so that Zardoth doesn't freak.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 17:33 
Hibernating Druid

Healing the Toad.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 17:34 
Hibernating Druid

sdg wrote:
No giphy. Just no.

Druidic :luv:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 17:57 
Skillmeister

I hear tell that the wizard's juice was 1/10th poison. Just sayin.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 18:00 
Hibernating Druid

Wouldn't surprise me. Everyone 'trying their best' to help and I only recovered 23pts...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 18:02 
Skillmeister

Forgot

LOOT!

5 arrows each.

I'm keeping all the bost shit in case Geoff the Smith could repair them for the town's defence force.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 18:56 
Hibernating Druid

Hmm while I’m a toad or spider could we farm some poisonous venom to coat our weapons with?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 19:40 
UltraMod

TPK = total party kill? Total party AWESOME! (even mistrusting dwarfs)

I like shouting incantations and soporifising goblins. And forgetting how many D8s to roll for fire bolt even though I’ve done it EIGHT TIMES already this session

I don’t like aspersions being cast on me by sceptical akrophiles and getting shouted at for going to bed too late

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 19:42 
Skillmeister

Quote:
SLOW TO TRUST

Dwarves get along passably well with most other races. “The difference between an acquaintance and a friend is about a hundred years,” is a dwarf saying that might be hyperbole, but certainly points to how difficult it can be for a member of a short-lived race like humans to earn a dwarf’s trust.

Fuck wizards. Especially Fuck Wizards.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 20:10 
Hibernating Druid

myp wrote:
TPK = total party kill? Total party AWESOME!

Toad Poison Kill :metul:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 21:16 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Splendid depiction of the Great Toad Healing!

Does anyone even have a bow? Maybe the town militia might want some arrows too. I imagine we might be able to rustle up some real loot from the King's chambers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 22:06 
Skillmeister

Zardoth took an bow from the mansion armoury last sesh. But I bet it's forgotten to add it to its inventory.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 22:15 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Dimrill wrote:
Zardoth took an bow from the mansion armoury last sesh. But I bet it's forgotten to add it to its inventory.

Oh yeah! Clean forgot about that!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 22:16 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Dimrill wrote:
I have full health and three out of four superiority dice. I reckon we can take him.

I second this plan.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 22:17 
Skillmeister

Also Shuuuu and Myp have crossbows. Hence why I think kicking in the King's face would be preferable than running away with a concussed naked Dorf.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 22:29 
Hibernating Druid

Throw the arrows into my Toad mouth so I may bestow the gift of Mother Nature's poison on them!

LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 22:48 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

D&D! Muppets! Disconcertingly large boobs on aforementioned muppets!

https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/ ... 2226680832

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 23:21 
Ready for action

Zardoz wrote:
Hmm while I’m a toad or spider could we farm some poisonous venom to coat our weapons with?

Interesting question. I’d say yes, but it would require an action and a successful check. For the majority of venom you’d also need storage containers like glass vials but you’re going to need to pick them up soon anyway for Ermintrude’s harvesting. I think it would make sense to also houserule the venom only lasts as long as the wild shape lasts and then it disappears but if it’s applied to a weapon it will do some additional acid damage.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 23:22 
Ready for action

Squirt wrote:
D&D! Muppets! Disconcertingly large boobs on aforementioned muppets!

https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/ ... 2226680832

Let me know if you watch this, sounds fun.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 23:24 
Ready for action

myp wrote:
And forgetting how many D8s to roll for fire bolt even though I’ve done it EIGHT TIMES already this session

:boots: It’s a d10 :boots:

Reply to topic  [ 3449 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 69  Next