Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Boardgame Thread. It's all 3D & your body's the controller.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:01 
I forgot about this - how vain

We bought Dominion and on the whole I would say that Dominion: Intrigue is the better game (Both excellent mind). And as they are both stand alone (as well as working together) I would recommend anyone to jump on board with Intrigue.

We also got Thunderstone: Dragonspire! Which appears to be Dominion + Magic: The Gathering. You build a deck of heroes and equipment and spells and use it to trash up a dungeon. Not played it yet mind. Again this is a stand alone expansion - and Boardgamegeek seems to recommend this as the jumping on point.

Thats 2 board games this year. Glad I'm not tracking boardgames in WongaWatch, that said the GF will split the cost of board games - so it isn't too bad.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 13:21 

Dominion Review: Or Why you should play this game.

You start with a few copper coins (worth £1 each) and a few estates (worth 1 victory point each). This is your deck. Each turn you draw five cards, play 1 action card and buy 1 card with the money in your hand. At the end of your turn you put everything, including the card you bought, your money and your hand, into your discard pile and draw another five cards. Once your deck has run out you shuffle your discard pile and it becomes your new deck. Thus your deck grows with time. For this is a deck building game.

The aim of the game is to get the most land for your little kingdom, or in other words have the most victory points before the game ends. But Victory Points cards do nothing apart from fill up your deck, making it harder to get a decent hand. So you have to find balance between buying more money, buying VPs and buying actions.

ACTIONS! Actions are great because 1) they break the rules outlined above. They give you more actions, or more money, or allow you to buy more than 1 card a turn. Or make your opponent discard cards. Or allow you to curse your opponent and so on.

So far I've only described the controls in this review. It's like I've described the controls to Pac Man DX. Whats this game actually about?

Well. the masterstroke is that there are 25 sets of these action cards, but you only ever play with 10. Selected randomly. Therefore the options open to you are different everytime. You and the people you are playing against make engines and then pitch them against each other.

You look over the cards at the start and try to patch together a series of combos or an elegant method to acquire a bunch of Victory Points before your opponent. The cards are excellently designed to give many different approaches to achieveing this. Some cards seem useless, but then with added experience between extremely powerful.

For example, Chapel allows you to trash up to 4 cards from your hand. Trash means they don't go into your discard and are removed from game. At first seems terrible. But then your realise that by trashing weak cards like coppers, you streamline your deck and so increase the chance of drawing the important mechanics of your engine.

I've played Dominion and Dominion Intrigue probably 15 times so far. The games are quick - over in about 30 minutes, and it only takes someone a single game to get to grips with how to play. So new players are very quickly competitive, and if your bold and ambitious engine falters you're not stuck with it for long. Another round will be starting soon.

And thats the beauty of it. You are trying new approaches and seeing how they work in a completely different situation. Very, very highly recommended.

Important Note: If you think you might get this game - get Dominion: Intrigue instead of vanilla Dominion. It has a better selection of card and is much more interactive.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:30 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Dr Lave wrote:
We bought Dominion and on the whole I would say that Dominion: Intrigue is the better game (Both excellent mind). And as they are both stand alone (as well as working together) I would recommend anyone to jump on board with Intrigue.

The recieved wisdom I've heard is that first Dominion is the easiest for new people, as Intrigue involves much more interaction and not as many +card +action type stuff. But I wouldn't know as I don't have any expansions yet. How many peopel are you playing with?

Of course, really people should just SHUT UP AND BUY BOTH ALREADY and then play the game with them both. (Says the person who doesn't own Intrigue, and technically doesn't own Dominion..)

Quote:
We also got Thunderstone: Dragonspire! Which appears to be Dominion + Magic: The Gathering. You build a deck of heroes and equipment and spells and use it to trash up a dungeon. Not played it yet mind. Again this is a stand alone expansion - and Boardgamegeek seems to recommend this as the jumping on point.

Thats 2 board games this year. Glad I'm not tracking boardgames in WongaWatch, that said the GF will split the cost of board games - so it isn't too bad.

I have no idea what a WongaWatch is but it sound sordid. Anyway, without trying to one up you, I've bought two this week alone. CRY for my addiction and bank balance.

edit: Re Reviews:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ENsEhRbVIM - Base
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbYsjNbDOiU - Intrigue

I've always found an easy way to describe the game (and also used when teaching new people) is the ABCD mantra.

Gameplay goes clockwise around the players, with each player doing their ABCDs.
A - Action cards.
You have one +action to play, though action cards may generate you more actions. For each +action you have play an action card from your hand. Read the card aloud from top to bottom and do as it says. examples of things cards do: tell you to draw more things from your deck into your hand, give you free bonus money for this round only, other crazy shit. If the card is generous enough to give you +actions, then you can continue to play more action card. Keep playing actions until you run out of +actions or you no longer have any action-cards in your hand.

B - Buy phase.
You have one +buy phase, buy action cards played in your A phase might give you more.
For each +buy you can buy one card from the stock and put it on your discard pile. The cost of the card is paid for by the bonus money from action cards + any treasure cards you currently have in your hand.

C- Cleanup
Pick up all played action and treasure cards (from the action and buy phases, respectively) and put them on your discard pile. Put any cards that remain in your hand on the discard pile.

D- Draw.
Draw 5 cards from your draw deck into your hand. If at any time your draw deck depletes, simply shuffle your discard pile and use it as your new draw deck.

Just keep saying ABCD to new players and they'll pick it up dead quick.

Post subject: Re: Boardgame Thread: Dominion Review Page 3!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:01 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Squee.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:29 
Awesome
Yes

How big a room would you need to play that?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 23:48 

Played my first three games of Catan this weekend. Really enjoying it and getting the hang of the game mechanics. It was a bit crap in my last game when my hexes weren't producing for almost 10 turns in a row and I had nothing to trade, but it wasn't detrimental to my enjoyment of it. However, asking people if they have wood will never cease to be hilariously funny.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:33 

Cal Henderson! That name rolls back the years! Didn't he design/code b3ta?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 15:22 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Me and my girlfriend combined out Catans last night to make a cheap version of seafarers (we have 'custom' yellow, purple and black pieces that came with boats). Looking at the contents list of a real seafarers, all I need to make myself is 5 extra tiles + a few more production numbers and I'll have a cheap, identical version :P

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 15:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

WTB wrote:
Cal Henderson! That name rolls back the years! Didn't he design/code b3ta?

8)

What the fuck?

(Also - yes. And Flickr)

[edit]Oh wait, I get it now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 15:37 

I didnae really get on with Catan, I like the getting folk together aspect (same as every other boardgame) but found the game itself a bit meh...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 19:57 

We totally need a Beex boardgame meet up. We should work on this.

I could bring any of these:

So these are my games:
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!

From the top:
Thunderstone - improved with plays, but the desire for theme (storm a dungeon, kill monsters get loot) has made the mechanics clunky. And boardgames are all about mechanics. That said the last game I had was a belter. I had a load of Phalanx heroes that bolster each other. By thinning my deck I was pulling 3 to 4 of them a turn and hammering everything in sight. Light or no light.

Dominion - & Intrigue and the brilliant Prosperity expansions. Leagues ahead of Thunderstone, with divine mechanics. Do you know when some artsyfartys new game journalist waxes lyrical about how wünderbar Outrun 2 or Pacman DX is? How the mechanics are polished to perfection and that? Thats how I feel about Dominion. Tremendous.

Alien Frontiers- A bit like settlers of Catan, you role dice and have to use them to produce resources and eventually colonies to score points. Great fun (we've played it twice) but seems a bit random.

Settlers of Catan - The GF spent time in Germany when the whole boardgame thing kicked off so loves this. I'm not that impressed to be honest.

Cosmic Encounters - I'm really excited about this. Random and mental, but full of strategy and bluffing. Apparently. You need a min of three players so yet to play it.

Small World - A mix of Risk and fantasy minus luck. Each race gets a random perk that changes every game so each game is different. You have to decide when to send your race into decline and start a new one. Great stuff. Interesting has different boards depending on the number of players.

Lost Cities - Simple but ace 2 player card game.

Bohnanza - lamest themed game ever (you farm comedy beans) but a wonderful game of trading between players. Ace, if slightly long.

Carcassonne - It's carcassone.

Spy Alley - better than it has any right to be game of bluff and luck.

Not seen are borros Risk, Monopoly and the satirical War on Terror (ft. evil balaclava for terrorists to wear)

Post subject: Re: Boardgame Thread: Let's organise a beexordgame night.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 20:24 

Rllmuk made me aware of http://www.meetup.com/LondonOnBoard/. So these people meet up in a pub and play games.

So it seems to me we could do something like that if people are interested. Or someones house if people are feeling brave (and it would be less embarrassing). That said a Sunday evening playing boardgames in a pub sounds like a plan to me....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 20:36 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Are you coming to the Cottage Meet? There's was quite a lot of boardgaming done at the last one.

Post subject: Boardgame Thread: Let's organise a beexordgame night.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 22:10 
Awesome
Yes

Yes, the cottage is effectively 'board games meet' combined with rather a lot of drinking.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:27 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Dr Lave wrote:

Cosmic Encounters - I'm really excited about this. Random and mental, but full of strategy and bluffing. Apparently. You need a min of three players so yet to play it.

I love this game. I have both expansions, each allowing one extra player. But with anything more than the standard 5 it's a bit tiresome. You'll only get 1 or two goes.

Also: Everyone in my group seems to go alliance-offering mad. Do they not see that an important part is not giving other people the chance of colonies?!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:05 

Tempted by the cottage but the cost/dates put me off. Can't remember which. Either way v.jealous.

Pod wrote:
Dr Lave wrote:

I love this game. I have both expansions, each allowing one extra player. But with anything more than the standard 5 it's a bit tiresome. You'll only get 1 or two goes.

Also: Everyone in my group seems to go alliance-offering mad. Do they not see that an important part is not giving other people the chance of colonies?!

I actually also have the old Mayfair version with only twenty aliens, rules for two players and really fiddly pieces.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:10 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Dr Lave wrote:
Tempted by the cottage but the cost/dates put me off. Can't remember which. Either way v.jealous.

It's more that worth the money.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:10 
Gogmagog

Pod wrote:

In many games, I've found, people don't like to upset the other players and so on, by denying them things. Especially if it is a friendly game, rather than the all out war that erupts when mrsA and I play something.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:11 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
Dr Lave wrote:

it's better than Christmas on a desert island with Mila Kunis.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:22 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

MaliA wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Dr Lave wrote:

it's better than Christmas on a desert island with Mila Kunis.

/googles
No. No it isn't.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 13:30 
Paws for thought

Longines Symphonette wrote:
Yes, the cottage is effectively 'board games meet' combined with rather a lot of drinking.

And some spilling of aforementioned drink onto aforementioned games.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 13:31 
Awesome
Yes

Mr Dave wrote:

And some spilling of morals onto afforementioned attendees.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 14:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Dave wrote:

And some spilling of semen onto your sleeping room-mate.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 14:42 
Awesome
Yes

Grim... wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

And some spilling of semen onto your sleeping room-mate.

And some spilling of semen onto your awake and screaming room-mate.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 14:43 

You guys make the worst salesmen.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 14:44 
Awesome
Yes

Dr Lave wrote:

Disagree. Get it sorted and go along.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 14:44 
Gogmagog

Dr Lave wrote:

I do a cool dance.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 14:49 
Awesome
Yes

MaliA wrote:
Dr Lave wrote:

I do a cool dance.

I wish I'd been in the room for the mouse on the stair song instead of merely overhearing it through the walls.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 14:50 
Sleepyhead

That was epic.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 15:11 

Just checked. On the Saturday (15th) of October I have an open day I have to attend for work. It will be tedious as fuck.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 15:12 
Sleepyhead

Dr Lave wrote:
Just checked. On the Saturday (15th) of October I have an open day I have to attend for work. It will be tedious as fuck.

All the more reason to sack it off and come cottaging!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 18:05 

Yeah, but I like having a job.

HMMMM.

(Also: Pod - How can you all have played Cosmic Encounters and not posted about it. Pictures of peoples game collections or something please)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:02 
PC Gamer

Holy crap there's a boardgames thread!

I've gone boardgames mental over the last couple of months. Our Monday RPG nights have been disrupted around the holiday period by people having social lives and families and stuff, so it's been out with the boardgames! We've played a fuckton of Dominion (base set, Intrigue and the highly-bloody-recommended Prosperity expansion), a lot of Ticket To Ride: Europe and Pandemic. Oooooh, Pandemic. Pandemic is SO FUCKING GOOD YOU GUYS. It's so good I got it for Christmas, played about four games then ordered the expansion with my Chrismas money.

Why Pandemic is ace:

a) It's co-operative. Everyone wins or everyone loses. So it's a great game to play with your kids or people who're turned off by the dog-eat-dog viciousness of, say, Cosmic Encounter.

b) The theme is great. You're playing a team of specialists rushing around the world trying to cure four diseases before The End Of The World As We Know It. Everyone can get on board with that. So it's a great game to play with people who've got a natural and understandable aversion to elves.

c) It's fast. Depending on player numbers it probably averages an hour from opening the box to wrapping the game up. So it's easy to play a few games on the bounce. Which you'll want to do when you've seen a combination of bad luck and incompetence cause the Apocalypse for the third time that evening.

d) It's easy, but it's hard. Each turn players are drawing from a Player Deck containing city cards which allow them to travel to or from whatever city is on the card. If you ever have to draw cards and there aren't any left to draw, you lose. Each turn, players are drawing from a separate Infection Deck and adding a disease cube to whatever cities they draw. If you ever have to place a disease cube but don't have any left to place, you lose. If you have to add a fourth disease cube of one colour to a city, instead you add one cube to every city connected to it in a process called an "Outbreak". This is quite bad. Outbreaks can chain - if you have two cities next to each other both with three disease cubes on them, if either Outbreaks it will cause the other to Outbreak right along with it. This is really very bad indeed. Over and above the fact that this can very quickly clear your supply of disease cubes (which, as above, will cause you to lose), if you suffer 8 Outbreaks in the course of the game, you lose.

e) It's tense. The threat of outbreaks or running out of disease cubes means you want to get people to disease hotspots as quickly as possible, and the easiest way to do that is often to play a city card and fly directly there. HOWEVER! The only way to win the game is to discover cures for all four diseases, and the only way to cure a disease is for a player to "hand in" five cards of that disease's colour. So right away you're having to weigh the pros and cons of getting triage to a trouble spot quickly vs. not wasting cards you're going to need to actually get cures made and get the game won. And guess what? Those places you really want to fly to are generally the same colour as the diseases you'd really like to get cured as soon as possible. DECISIONS OMG. And then there's the Epidemic Mechanic Of Genius.

f) It's got the Epidemic Mechanic Of Genius. Remember the Player Deck where the players were getting the cards they needed to cure the diseases? Well, that deck also contains a number of Epidemic cards at semi-random intervals. Whenever you draw an Epidemic, you take a card from the BOTTOM of the Infection deck and immediately add three disease cubes to it (this can cause an Outbreak if that city already has one or more disease cubes already on it, which can generally only happen as a result of an earlier Outbreak. This is another reason why Outbreaks are really very bad indeed). Then you take the discard pile of cities that have already been infected, shuffle it and put it back ON TOP of the Infection deck. So, yeah. From that point on you're pretty much only drawing cities that have already been infected which makes things a lot more intense and a lot more dangerous and gives the game a beautiful natural rhythm where the action gets tougher and tougher and faster and faster as it goes on.

g) It's the only boardgame that my wife actively asks to play.

h) The expansion comes with little petri dishes for you to keep your disease cubes in. ENOUGH SAID.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:48 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Is this it?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Z-Man-Games-702 ... 253&sr=8-1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 13:03 
Gogmagog

I think so. Wil Wheaton was gushing about it on twitter recently.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 13:10 
PC Gamer

That's the kiddie. Come on, Wesley Crusher and I can't both be wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 13:23 
PC Gamer

Pandemic. With a monkey. For reasons that are unlikely to make sense even if I explain them. Yesterday.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 13:53 
Sleepyhead

That sounds amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 13:56 
Gogmagog

Rodafowa wrote:
That's the kiddie. Come on, Wesley Crusher and I can't both be wrong.

I thought about it, then bought Munchkin instead. now I feel I have made a mistake.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 16:20 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:

I hope you have bought this to play on Sunday night at midnight.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 16:21 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hmm, I'm more than happy to do that.
Can I get it delivered to your house, Cras?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 16:23 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Curiosity wrote:
Grim... wrote:

I hope you have bought this to play on Sunday night at midnight.

This could be a clincher.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 16:36 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Grim... wrote:
Hmm, I'm more than happy to do that.
Can I get it delivered to your house, Cras?

Hrm. You can, but there's a fair chance there won't be anyone there to receive it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 16:54 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Huh. I don't really want to lug it around London, as you can probably imagine.

Suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 16:58 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:
Huh. I don't really want to lug it around London, as you can probably imagine.

Suggestions?

Deliver to Craster's work, and he can carry it home during the week. Or to yourself of you think you can get it by Wednesday to take to the quiz.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 16:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Curiosity wrote:
Or to yourself of you think you can get it by Wednesday to take to the quiz.

This would work better if I was going to the quiz.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 17:00 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Or to yourself of you think you can get it by Wednesday to take to the quiz.

This would work better if I was going to the quiz.

Come to the quiz.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 18:30 

Great write-up! Sounds excellent fun.

Re-reading this thread, we really ought to sort put a board games meet this year. Just so I can thrash you all at 'Ticket to Ride'.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 19:23 
Sleepyhead

Kern wrote:
Great write-up! Sounds excellent fun.

Re-reading this thread, we really ought to sort put a board games meet this year. Just so I can thrash you all at 'Ticket to Ride'.

I have a 'Played: 1, Won: 1' record at this game. I should probably quit while I'm ahead.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 15:13 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I'd love to make a boardgame, But On The Internet. I'd really like to make a copy of the Zombies! game - it's pretty much perfect because there's no need for AI, the rules and things like movement are simple, but that's not fair on the makers.
There are many disadvantages of doing it online, but there are some advantages too (no need to all be in one place, as many pieces as you like without it costing more, play over a few weeks without worrying about tidying the game away, keep track of scores). So, er, if anyone has a great idea (and ruleset) for a game, let me know :)

Reply to topic  [ 1599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next