Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32
 Post subject: Re: Boardgame Thread: Let's organise a beexordgame night.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 19:16 
I forgot about this - how vain

Kern wrote:
Played Catan for the first time in at least a decade last night. It pains me to say it, but the mechanics felt really clunky. Things weren't helped by the imbalance of our island's economy with severe sheep and clay shortages throughout the game. The end was pretty abrupt too. Someone hit 10 points, we said "well done", and that was that. Like going back to a favourite childhood TV programme, sometimes you just can't recreate the past.

That said, having wood and needing sheep remains as hilarious as ever.

People were talking about the Birmingham games expo over the Jubliee weekend, and after checking my social diary I booked a ticket for the Friday. Quite excited as I've never been to an expo before and it's just up the road from here.

And in "Kern looking guilty in hidden role games" news, none of the fellow Brits in Tortuga 1667 refused to believe me despite my repeated claims and actions to prove otherwise. I think I'm being persecuted.

Ironically, I played Catan for the first time in probably a decade, as I've always hated it and I actually quite liked it. There was loads of trading going on that really elevated it all - but yeah, the honest truth is it isn't great.

Really need to get back into board games. Covid and having a kid killed them for me. Soon though, soon.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:24 

Dr Lave wrote:
Really need to get back into board games. .

Come to Cottage!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:32 
Unpossible!

I played a really funny quickfire card game over the weekend called Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza.

It's just Turbo Snap, but great fun.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:48 

DavPaz wrote:
I played a really funny quickfire card game over the weekend called Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza.

That looks great fun, if likely to get very violent.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:45 
Unpossible!

It's quite slappy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 13:57 

DavPaz wrote:

We play that quite a lot here, it’s one of the kids’ favourites.

I am terrible at the three action cards, always get the wrong one first.

Doesn’t take long before your hands and forearms are fucking wrecked.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 19:42 
Paws for thought

Dr Lave wrote:
Kern wrote:
Played Catan for the first time in at least a decade last night. It pains me to say it, but the mechanics felt really clunky. Things weren't helped by the imbalance of our island's economy with severe sheep and clay shortages throughout the game. The end was pretty abrupt too. Someone hit 10 points, we said "well done", and that was that. Like going back to a favourite childhood TV programme, sometimes you just can't recreate the past.

That said, having wood and needing sheep remains as hilarious as ever.

People were talking about the Birmingham games expo over the Jubliee weekend, and after checking my social diary I booked a ticket for the Friday. Quite excited as I've never been to an expo before and it's just up the road from here.

And in "Kern looking guilty in hidden role games" news, none of the fellow Brits in Tortuga 1667 refused to believe me despite my repeated claims and actions to prove otherwise. I think I'm being persecuted.

Ironically, I played Catan for the first time in probably a decade, as I've always hated it and I actually quite liked it. There was loads of trading going on that really elevated it all - but yeah, the honest truth is it isn't great.

Really need to get back into board games. Covid and having a kid killed them for me. Soon though, soon.

Hello, welcome back, good to see you. All that jazz.

Yeah, I always found Catan to be not exactly a fun experience.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 19:45 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

I went to the UK Expo a few years ago and had an excellent time...an expensive excellent time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:14 

Star Wars: Outer Rim

I shouldn't like this. I have no interest in Star Wars. The characters, factions, and planets mean nothing to me. Oh yes, of course I know who various key figures are, such is its impact on modern culture. But spending three hours playing a game set in this universe, then coming back a week later to have another crack it? No, this shouldn't be happening. But it did. And I'm still eager to explore it some more.

Star Wars: Outer Rim is, essentially, Elite but in cardboard form. You start off with a basic ship, and can travel around the galaxy delivering cargo or contraband, completing jobs, recruiting crew, or dabbling in a bit of old fashioned bounty hunting. Most tasks give you money which you can spend on upgrades, but you want the ones that give you fame points. First to 12 fame points (or, in the shorter games we played, eight), wins. How you do it is up to you.

Most turns involve a bit of movement, a bit of shopping, and a bit of resolving either a randomly drawn card from that planet's stack or resolving something from your pile. Normally you have to test for skills, and the addition of crew can help increase your abilities.

If you pass a patrol ship from one of the four factions (Hutt; Syndicate; Empire; Rebels), they'll either let you pass freely if you've a positive reputation with them, stop your movement if you're ambivalent, or engage in combat if you have a negative reputation. A bit of dice rolling, but if you or your ship gets destroyed you're not out of the game or having to start from zero, you just have to spend a turn fixing things. This helps move the game along.

The open-endness allows you to decide your own path to victory. In my first game, I fancied a bit of bounty hunting so went all in for tracking down some suspect for a big reward, only to be taken out by a stream of bad dice rolls. Next time round, I realised that I should have focussed on tooling up my ship before taking such a risky career choice, so embarked on some several cargo deliveries before tooling up my ship but by then someone else had scored some easy kills and was well on the way to becoming the most famous person in the galaxy. Next time, perhaps I should try a different approach?

I never felt that I was hanging around waiting for my turn, nor were the decisions particularly onerous. Just a case of should I deliver this pack of space moisturiser for some cash to spend on a new ship, or take onboard some dodgy illegal hyperspace fuel for more money, a shot at fame, and the risk of it all going wrong? Depends on how far away the planet I need is, and what the rebels think of me.

Good fun, and something I didn't expect to enjoy.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 19:48 

I was reading the rules of Fire Tower with the aim of getting to the table sometime (it's been on my shelf for ages), and I'm a little alarmed by the warning in the manual. Are board games the next moral panic? Or is this another example of every sign marking a dead sailor?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:28 

I was alerted to this on /r/boardgames, and after watching it yesterday confirm that the Board Game Badge episode of Hey Duggee is a hilarious (and touching) take on modern gaming.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:07 

Played an absolutely lousy game of Suburbia last night, but somehow managed to win. It's one of my favourite games but I haven't played it in ages, even though a few years back I dropped quite a lot of money on the fancy super-shiny overproduced Kickstarter box.

The universe corrected itself a while later when we were playing Secret Hitler and I accidently let Hitler win. Oops.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:17 

Another enjoyable board game night.

Irish Gauge

Hard to describe this one ["It's 5 Foot 3!" - Railway ed.]. It isn't Ticket to Ride, but then it isn't one of the legendary 18xx series. If you go in expecting either, you'll initially be disappointed but then charmed by this game's simplicity.
Players are wannabe railway tycoons, competing to create the most profitable network across Ireland.

After an initial share auction, the game begins and you can either bid for more shares, build track, upgrade a town, or call for a dividend payout. You can build track if you hold shares that company, which means if more than one of you are shareholders you can build an extensive network pretty quickly. Or, indeed, your fellow capitalist scum can do all the hard work and you can just take the profits. I had invested in different companies to my opponents so looked on in anguish as they spread across the island whilst my services were about as patchy as the current network.

The real meat of the game, and the hardest to explain, is calling for dividends. You randomly pull out three cubes, and the colours show which cities are paying out that time. Dividends are split between shareholders, and likely payout affect the auction price if others want to get in on the action. But with limited cubes of each colour, a formerly profitable line might ebb into irrelevance, so knowing when to buy becomes important. Upgrading towns takes cubes out of the bag too, so you might want to be careful with where you place them - or place them to screw others, even fellow shareholders, over.

The cards are solid, but we did run out of cash near the end and had to resort to the honour system . I also find the board a bit plain but it does the job and the tracker helps with calculating dividend payouts.

We finished within about an hour, including set-up and rules rundown. I've never played the 18xx series, so a few rounds of this might encourage me to go further into the railway capitalism genre. Irish Gauge is solid enough to explore and enjoy on its own merits, and it's definitely one I want to get to the table again, probably with more players for better alliance building.

Sniper Elite
The cardboard version of the hit game, or Scotland Yard with Nazis. One player is a super-stealthy US sniper, roaming the board trying to complete two missions and perhaps shoot people on the way. Everyone else controls squads of Nazis trying to find him and take the intruder out.

The early stages are probably the toughest, as you grope around trying to get any clue that might set you on the right track but as the game progresses and the sniper starts revealing himself (or where he could be), the tension mounts as the options narrow before a final dash on both sides. We got very close, but he slipped us past in the night.

I found the line of sight rules slightly awkward, and the Nazis move a bit too slowly, but the game arc is satisfying, leading to many painful decisions.

We rounded off the evening with another round of Feed the Kraken, a hidden role game with a pirate theme. Doesn't add much to the genre, but at least you're not Hitler (*cough* Lovecroft *cough*).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:45 

Hand to Hand Wombat

Yep, it's another hidden rule game! But with wombats!

Each team is randomly assigned a role - you might be a good wombat, a bad wombat, or a chaotic wombat. Good wombats want to build towers within 90 seconds, bad wombats want to stop them, and chaotic wombats want chaos. Pretty easy to tell who's on which side, right? Except, and here's the fun twist, everyone's blindfolded.

After each round, there's the inevitable arguments and voting off, and the game ends when either the good wombats have successfully built three towers, or when the bad ones have stopped them. The chaotic wombats win by avoiding detection.

It's pretty mindless but ideal for that final end of evening wind down, with everyone collapsing into fits of laughter and attempts at tower-stealing. The last blindfold game I played was When I dream but that only had one masked player per round. Having everyone blindfolded adds an element of danger, hilarity, and surprise. It is what it is, and with the right group at the right time in the right situation will cause everyone to leave grinning.

Oh, and the cards are furry.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:29 

Parks: Nightfall (expansion)

I'm always in two minds about expansions. Sure, they add more variety and can extend the lifetime of a game, but then a truly great game would not need any extras and instead offer a fulfilling experience time after time. I can never tire of the base versions of Ticket to Ride, Flamme Rouge, or Colt Express for example. As the average plays-per-year of my collection is usually three (and that's generous, as I look over mournfully at expensive Kickstarters still in their shrinkwrap), it's hard to justify the outlay when the original isn't getting sufficient attention. So with trepidation and uncertainty of step, I played Parks with its Nightfall expansion

Parks has long been one of my favourite games of recent times, and always goes down well with gamers of all abilities, tastes, and experience. It's stunningly beautiful to look at, and its engine-building mechanism is cleverly disguised within the theming but easily discoverable. Whilst the teach is a bit involved as each element is explained, people grasp the mechanics the second they embark on their trek.

The major change in Nightfall is the addition of campsites. Land on a tile with a tent, and you can either do that tile's action as normal, or use one of the new camping actions if someone hasn't taken that it first. It also ditches the game's original bonus system (the 'year' cards) and introduces a whole new set with simpler scoring and goals. You also the option to get more and exchange them through out the game, meaning you're not tied to one. It also makes the camera more desirable as some include photos. And of course, it brings in more parks, just as beautifully designed as before, but now with instant rewards for visiting as well as just points.

How did these extra elements work? Exceedingly well. I am one happy camper.

The camping actions contain powers such as refreshing the gear pile or cheaper conversions to wild cards, and provides more decisions about when and where to move if you want something before someone else. The new year-end bonuses are easier to get and being able to switch them out or collect more means if one route isn't working due to the lay of the land you can probably find a bonus that does.

I felt that the expansion changes the game's economy, making it easier to get gear or buy parks. A subtle rule tweak illustrates this: some of the new parks have a cost of a symbol then a set number of any tokens. This means you aren't as constrained by reaching the end of the trail with a pile of unspent pieces. Moreover. wild animals count as two for this. Similarly, the camping and instant bonuses offering a reset of the gear deck and free kit means you don't end up with something people don't want taking up precious shopping space for the entire game.

The original Parks is solid enough not to need any expansions. I've played it loads, and always enjoyed the challenge and sometimes painful decisions. The additions and tweaks in Nightfall add sufficient (boot) polish to make the game really shine. This is definitely going in my backpack.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:32 

Just read this thread on r/boardgames and learnt something about the stations in Ticket to Ride: Europe

Quote:
Redditor 1: Also, To help us visualize which route is chosen we place the station over the middle of the route instead of at the city when it is picked at the end.

Redditor 2: Yep. That's why the middle is shaped like that, so you can place it over the trains

Wow! That makes it much easier. Definitely going to do that next time I play it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:57 

Heat: Pedal to the Metal

When you turn off the A34, there's a long stretch of straight road that leads you to Bicester. It veers suddenly to the left to join a roundabout. You're supposed to have slowly dropped from 70 to 50 to 40 before hitting this below 30 but nobody ever does and an upturned car on the roundabout is a common sight. Why slow down when you've the open road ahead of you? That's the key decision in Heat

For many years, the go-to car racing game in my group has been Formula D. Playing up to 10, you speed round a track, shifting gears and rolling dice whilst trying not to destroy your car before the finish. It's a real hoot and gently pressures you to go for that risky dice roll just to get the edge on your opponents.

Heat owes more to Flamme Rouge. Like the bicycle game of champions, it's about hand management. Pick your movement card, then resolve in placement order. There's even a slipstreaming mechanic, although it isn't as elegant as the glorious rule in Flamme Rouge.

How many cards you play depends on your gear. First gear gives you one card, second two, and so on up to the giddy heights of fourth! You can move up or down one for free, but if you want to crank the gear box, your engine complains and a heat card enters your deck.

Heat cards are the penalties in this game. As the engine gets hotter and hotter, your hand is increasingly likely to fill up with these red cars of infernal doom. But if you drop down to the lower gears, you have the chance per turn to cool the engine down and drop them. Knowing when to take these penalties and when not to is a key element to your gameplay.

Heat cards are also the usual punishment for speeding. Unlike Flamme Rouge, each corner has a speed limit. Go over it, and you have to pay the difference in heat cards. Can't afford it? Your engine is on fire, you spin out, and get shunted to the nearest free space behind the bend. You're not out of the game, just humiliated and have to slowly make your way back up from first whilst your deck is full of fire.

You can also crank up the speed to give yourself a boost. Again, your engine complains but it might get you ahead of the pack. To boost, you turn over the top card of your deck and move that number of spaces. As with Formula D, part of the fun is watching your friends going for that risky gamble that blows up in their face.

Because everyone is driving responsibly and slowing down for corners, the speed-up-slow-down rhythm means people can easily catch up with the pack leading to nerve-racking finales.

The base game is pretty solid and after the first turn everyone I've introduced it to has grasped it and is speeding away to glory. The box contains various bits for more advanced games, including weather, upgrades, and a championship mode. Automata mean you can have more cars than players to add extra tension.

I haven't been as obsessed by a game in ages. I played loads over Christmas (with the robot cars it works well with two), and it's gone down a treat at my board game group. It's been a long time since I've played something that's caused so much laughter even in the early stages. It's only January but this is looking like the game I'll be playing most in 2023.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 15:52 
Unpossible!

We recently played the board game Back to the Future: Dice Through Time after having it for over a year.

I was expecting a daft little dice roller tie in game, but I was wrong. It's actually quite complex and takes a fair bit of brain work to figure out. Luckily it's a four player cooperative game so we managed to beat it (with maybe a few comfort changes to the standard rules. Shush) in about an hour.

I'm nto sure what you Board Masters would think of it. Anyone else tried it?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 23:49 
Prince of Fops

DavPaz wrote:
We recently played the board game Back to the Future: Dice Through Time after having it for over a year.

I was expecting a daft little dice roller tie in game, but I was wrong. It's actually quite complex and takes a fair bit of brain work to figure out. Luckily it's a four player cooperative game so we managed to beat it (with maybe a few comfort changes to the standard rules. Shush) in about an hour.

I'm nto sure what you Board Masters would think of it. Anyone else tried it?

We have it and I enjoyed it a lot, though was on the more complex end of what my family will tolerate, so we have not been back (to the future).

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 9:47 

Custom Ticket to Ride map generator (unofficial)

Print and play fun!

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 10:20 
Soopah red DS

Kern wrote:
Custom Ticket to Ride map generator (unofficial)

Print and play fun!

I love it! Picked a long game on the world map. Some classic journeys

Anchorage-Burnaby
Ontario-Mexico City
Sao Paolo-Cape Town
Addis Ababa-Hyderabad
Reykjavik-Murmansk
Casablanca-Scunthorpe...

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 10:17 

One aspect of the hobby I've been keen to experiment with is tabletop roleplaying games. I've always been slightly prejudiced against it because I've only really known it as D&D and similar and fantasy just really isn't my thing. However, I've recently been exploring non-orc alternatives and there's quite a few out there.

Last night I played a game with four others using the Fiasco system that allows for the re-enactment of Coen Brother style movies and resolves within three hours. I'd first become aware of it when it featured on Wil Wheaton's Tabletop many years ago, but was reminded when I recently watched a play-through by the No Rolls Barred crew.

Before it begins, everyone's relationships with the people sitting next to them is established (eg rivals; friends; manager/worker; newly-weds) and various objects, locations, and needs are assigned. The system is designed so these provide the sparks and narrative drive for the stories, and often an element someone picked would lead to someone choosing something to complement that and, where possible, create conflicts further down the line.

It plays over two Acts, with each player getting two scenes in the spotlight. You get to choose to either "establish" the scene or "resolve" it. In the former, you decide what happens but the other players decide if it's going to have a positive or a negative outcome for your character, and in the latter you decide the outcome but everyone else picks the scene. This is particularly helpful if you're stuck or uncertain about a direction. We found that people would either choose immediately or wait until the scene was playing out before picking.

At the interval, plot twists are introduced which must be incorporated during the second act somehow (we had "someone thinks it's all under control, but it isn't" and " a death, after an unpleasant struggle"). Everything ends with a montage sequence where people describe what happens to their characters (or their legacies).

We used a playset set in an Antarctic research lab. I quite enjoyed playing a misanthropic downtrodden scientist who just wants to be left alone. Our story ended up with a frantic rush to a helipad, a bloody struggle, and a lot of dead seals on a funeral pyre.

I also enjoyed how open the game was to different styles - sometimes we'd just narrate what was happening, other times act it one. One guy used his last scene to monologue on his choices (we made sure he took the bad one). The best part was the co-operative element with everyone taking and building on each other's ideas.

It was easy to explain, easy to play, and was over within three hours . It's definitely something I'm eager to play again.

Most importantly, it showed me that there's more to roleplay than decades-long campaigns with fucking orcs.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 21:38 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I can't stand narrative type TTRPGs. I'm in this for dice & maths

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 22:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

That's because you're wrong in the wrong-hole.

@kern if you want something a bit more sci-fi take a look at The Sprawl. It's closer to "traditional" TTRPGs but still uses narrative to do a lot of stuff and is lacking in orcs.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 15:22 

Grim... wrote:
if you want something a bit more sci-fi take a look at The Sprawl. It's closer to "traditional" TTRPGs but still uses narrative to do a lot of stuff and is lacking in orcs.

Will check it out, thanks!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 9:54 

Anyone going to the UK Games Expo this year?

After having a great time on my first ever visit last year, I'm there on the Friday and Saturday this time round.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 8:29 

Rumours are spreading about a possible legacy version of Ticket to Ride.

Quite tempted, but nothing will ever beat experiencing Pandemic Legacy for the first time.

I really hope the story is something like "You, intrepid railfans, must co-operate to stop Dr Beeching in his tracks".

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:40 

Had an excellent, if tiring, two days at the UK Games Expo.

Tried out loads of games, bought a few, and enjoyed wandering the crowded halls and soaking up the atmosphere.

Standouts for me:

Colt Super Express: a mini card version of the chaotic train game that's over in 15 minutes and just as much fun as the full 3D original.

The Catan Football Expansion: quite possibly the single stupidest, most pointless, and most unnecessary expansion I've ever seen. For your money you get a replica football pitch complete with stands, a cardboard dice ball, and an extra scoring track. Every so often you roll against an opponent to claim extra bonus points. That's it. Why? Why? Why?

Buttonshy Wallet Games: One of my friends was raving about these so we went to their stand early. They're simple games containing 18 cards that fit into a snazzy wallet. After a demo of Skulls of Sedlec I was hooked too! Ended up buying it alongside Sprawlopolis and In Vino Morte.

Also played loads of games in at the open gaming tables with members of my board game group.

Managed to keep my spending within reasonable limits:
Attachment:
PXL_20230603_185035185.jpg

The travel version of Azul looked so brilliant and useful I couldn't resist.

Definitely going again next year and can highly recommend the show to you all.
Attachment:
PXL_20230602_145730393.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:10 
Unpossible!

You look taller!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:48 

Late to the party, as usual, but I bought a copy of Azul Mini from a board game shop in Amsterdam in July, and finally got around to playing it last night — after finding some English instructions online, natch.

It looks complex when you read the rules but it’s incredibly simple, very strategic and immensely satisfying, even if (like most board games) I’m shit at it ;)

I beat Jem by 10 points on the first game, but she must have hit her stride on game 2 as she trounced me by a whopping 36 points.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:19 

Azul is brilliant. Works really well online too.

I'm so in love with the mini version I think my original full size set will end up living out its days on a farm (when I get round to it).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 13:53 
Isn't that lovely?

Malc wrote:
Attachment:
PXL_20211209_011059909.jpg

High scoring game of late night (not rude, just late) Scrabble

439 plays 424. I won the game, but my son is winning 3-2 overall

So, I've not won a game of Scrabble against my eldest son since this game...

...until today.

Attachment:
PXL_20230827_123802698.jpg

Mostly thanks to placing trillion down on two triples and getting the bingo, scoring 131 points (I ended up winning by 126 points)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 17:14 
Awesome
Yes

Azul scores really highly on a load of game sites. Any good for a young son (turning 8 ) do you think? Mostly we'd play 2 player but sometimes 3.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:05 

Mr Russell wrote:
Azul scores really highly on a load of game sites. Any good for a young son (turning 8 ) do you think? Mostly we'd play 2 player but sometimes 3.

I think it’d work well for D yeah. There are quite a few different elements involved which initially I found hard to wrap my head around, but literally 1 round in and everything made perfect sense!

The Mini version is (apparently) much better than the full sized one. It’s the same game, but the mini one has player boards that hold the pieces in place (designed for travel) and is just easier to set up from what I’ve read :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:58 
Awesome
Yes

GazChap wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

I think it’d work well for D yeah. There are quite a few different elements involved which initially I found hard to wrap my head around, but literally 1 round in and everything made perfect sense!

The Mini version is (apparently) much better than the full sized one. It’s the same game, but the mini one has player boards that hold the pieces in place (designed for travel) and is just easier to set up from what I’ve read :)

Thank you

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:24 

I mentioned this a couple of times at Cottage but I've been playing a lot of games on Board Game Arena recently (beats what I should be doing!).

If you fancy a game of something, look me up - user name is lordkern . Happy to play almost anything but some games work better turn-by-turn than others.

With enough interest we could have a BeeX Azul league or something.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:44 

That looks pretty cool, I'd be up for some online board games through that :D

Just signed up (as gazchap, natch) and sent you a friend request. I'll sign up for Premium if I get on with it all.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:55 
Isn't that lovely?

I too have signed up, and added both of you

My name is Strange Universe on there

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:34 

Great stuff!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 16:05 

Can confirm that this Board Game Arena website is pretty slick!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 17:37 

And very addictive!

Tense game of Azul until Gaz stomped ahead at the end.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 15:59 

Enjoying our game of Colt Express.

I like how if you press "replay moves" you get to see the pieces move along the train as the round plays out.

Any other games people want to try?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:32 

Came across this for BGA which makes it look a lot easier on the eye, just make sure you follow the instructions in that last step!

//edit: Except it breaks some games entirely (notably Azul) so fuck that shit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:31 

Played a custom board for Heat last night. 2 laps of 115 spaces, with 9 corners and several at low limits.

We played it with the car upgrades so everyone's vehicle was pimped out to their tastes (and card availability). It does make for interesting and agonising decisions as you grapple with keeping a possibly-powerful card in your hand for just the right moment or putting in the deck to create space for something that helps you now. A friend had been complaining all game about his "draw 3 move cards from the deck" card until it sped him to a photo finish victory in his last turn!

Tense racing fun! I love this game so much.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:50 

Photo of the custom map (probably available for download on BGG or somewhere but I haven't looked):

Attachment:
PXL_20231207_212542303.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 16:54 

Kern wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Has anyone played WINGSPAN?

Some friends of mine are big fans of it, and was wondering if anyone else had it or had played it? It's about birds.

Don't own it but I've played it a couple of times at the board game group. It's really, really beautifully made, and the mechanisms allow for some fantastic egg-laying engines.

I really (really really) want to play this. But obviously I’d want the European expansion as well, and that’s a chunk of money. You can get the game and expansions on Switch, and I’m trying to weigh up my want of the physical game, which by all reports is beautifully made) and the likelihood of me wanting to leave the sofa on a cold evening g to go and sit at the dining table.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 17:21 
Gogmagog

I've played it a couple days f times and really liked it. We have a copy here, but it is still in cellophane.

I like the idea of online board games, but after a day of staring at a computer screen, I don't want to do it in my free time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 18:10 
Awesome
Yes

MaliA wrote:
I've played it a couple days f times and really liked it. We have a copy here, but it is still in cellophane.

I like the idea of online board games, but after a day of staring at a computer screen, I don't want to do it in my free time.

Tenner, final offer.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 14:59 

I treated myself to the Wingspan Game and Euro expansion on Switch two days ago as it was on a good discount t. Russell sat there and watched me do this, knowing that he’d bought me both these things (the physical games) for Valentines Day. So I have it digitally and physically now.

The tutorial took me a few times to understand, but I played against an AI opponents this morning and it sunk in (I had been getting mixed up between playing a bird and activating a habitat before Russell twigged the details yesterday).

Really love what I’ve played so far. Will have a proper look at the physical game later. It’s HEAVY.

Reply to topic  [ 1599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32