Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1046 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Alien and Aliens
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 15:29 

This thread needs to say "Promethus" in the title, mods.

Anyway, NYT review: http://movies.nytimes.com/2012/06/08/mo ... &seid=auto

Quote:
But the virtuosity on display makes the weakness of the story — the screenplay is by Jon Spaihts and Damon Lindelof — all the more frustrating. I’ll avoid spoilers here, but “Prometheus” kind of spoils itself with twists and reversals that pull the movie away from its lofty, mind-blowing potential. Geeks and dreamers will hold onto scraps of splendor and wish for more. There are no revelations, only what are called, in the cynical jargon of commercial storytelling, “reveals,” bits of momentarily surprising information bereft of meaning or resonance. For example: A sequel is coming.

On the other hand, Roger Ebert gave it 4*:

Quote:
staggering visuals, expert horror, mind-challenging ideas and enough unanswered questions to prime the inevitable sequel.

Seems to be divisive, this one. I'm thinking it's become a rent-from-iTunes-for-$5 movie for me, though, rather than a £20-endure-other-humans-cinema-trip one. There's plenty more coming out this year to go to the cinema for.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 15:32 

I wouldn't have missed it at the cinema. It looks really, really good.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 15:34 

markg wrote:

A year from now, people will be saying "I wouldn't have missed the director's cut, which fixed all those problems the theatrical cut had".

Plus, I've got a great TV, a great sound system, and a BluRay player. It's not like movies look bad at home. Unlike my local multiplexes, which all seem to be plagued by shaky screen stabilisation, lipsync issues, and focus problems. And other customers with BO.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 15:38 
Hibernating Druid

I hate cinemas.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 15:39 
Gogmagog

Zardoz wrote:
I hate cinemas.

I'm surprised, I often found sitting in a dark room not speaking was an A1 stratagy when on dates.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 15:43 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
markg wrote:

A year from now, people will be saying "I wouldn't have missed the director's cut, which fixed all those problems the theatrical cut had".

Plus, I've got a great TV, a great sound system, and a BluRay player. It's not like movies look bad at home. Unlike my local multiplexes, which all seem to be plagued by shaky screen stabilisation, lipsync issues, and focus problems. And other customers with BO.

It was pretty quiet when we went and that was on a Saturday afternoon so I doubt that the director's cut, if there is one any time soon, will even play round here. Avengers was filled with stinking, noisy plebs, though.

Post subject: Alien and Aliens
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 15:50 

Any director's cut (didn't Scott at least strongly hint it was coming?) will be a home release, I'm sure. I'm fine with that. I'm really not romantic about the cinema experience.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 17:29 

I'm not romantic about it either. It's just a bit more of a spectacle seeing massive spaceships on a big screen with the noise from the engines rattling your rib cage. Sucks if all your local cinemas are shite, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 18:33 
Excellent Painter

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Any director's cut (didn't Scott at least strongly hint it was coming?) will be a home release, I'm sure. I'm fine with that. I'm really not romantic about the cinema experience.

Yup, pretty much exactly what I felt he said. He was flat out asked by Kermode if he felt this was the definitive cut and if he was happy with it as it was and he replied in the negative about this being the definitive cut insofar as he said he was never going to rule out a recut in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 21:05 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
markg wrote:

I watched it in Cwmbran vue and the credits were too blurry to read.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 21:27 
Worst

markg wrote:
I'm not romantic about it either. It's just a bit more of a spectacle seeing massive spaceships on a big screen with the noise from the engines rattling your rib cage.

This. Most people have massive tellies. I have a better hi-fi than most people. But cot damn was this ever a spectacular experience at the cinema. WIsh I'd seen it at IMAX, as the opening scenery would have fucking killed me.

I enjoyed the film a lot. Sure there were quibbles, like nobody wondering why Ripley had staples in her, and why the droid poisoned blokey (I had just assumed he was indeed taking orders from Pearce). But I didn't really give a shit, as the brilliant stuff outweighed the bad.

Actual odd stuff, though: the geologist. What a tosser. I didn't think the main woman looked like Sigourney. I spent the whole film marvelling at how hot (and ripped) the Ross' English wife from Friends had got. And I didn't get the opening bit at all. Was it an engineer who realised it was all going to end in tears, so offed himself? Was a bit like a big(ger) budget Tool video, actually. I liked it even if it made no sense.

The gear looked good, but I actually... didn't like... Idris. *dies*

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 21:36 
Skillmeister

I have a home sound system capable of bowel rattling. The airplane crash in Fight Club and the scaffold collapse in Ninth Gate are my favourites.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 22:34 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
markg wrote:

I must admit, the Vue Cinema where we watched Prometheus (with awesome VIP seats), has a frigging fire exit at the bottom right of the auditorium, all lit up and stuff, which cast a very distracting beam of light on the bottom right of the screen.

Cinemas are shit. I wish I lived in London. They have loads of poncey nice cinemas. Like those ones with sofas and stuff. Or am I making that up?

All that being said, I'm still very glad I saw it at the cinema. It was quite the spectacle. Plus, it makes the Director's Cut more interesting if you've seen the cinema edit.

edit: Actually, the City Screen Picturehouse in York centre is pretty poncey I believe. Gonna have to check it out soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 0:05 
Comfortably Dumb

The Last Salmon Man wrote:
devilman wrote:
I'm only really a fan of the first Alien film

It's much more like Alien than any of the other films. More suspense horror than all-out action film.

Pleasantly surprised by it. Ok, the script was a bit weak but the visuals and scale of them was very impressive. I won't be in a rush to see it again, but it entertained me for the duration which is good enough for me.

Oh and ..
WTB wrote:
Oh, and I thought the acting was passable. The worst being that female Scottish doctor (she only has a few lines), but she's so fucking bad it's almost difficult to tell if she's taking the piss or not.

:this:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:32 
Meh

I enjoyed it but it definitely left me with more questions than answers. Felt more like an extended pilot episode for a series than a movie.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 0:26 
Gogmagog

MrsA hadn't ever seen Aliens. This was rectified tonight. She liked it lots. Apparently, Burke is "a cunt", Hicks is "well fit" and Hudson is me when I have to parralell park a car. Evening well spent.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:12 
Kvnt

What I still don't get is

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
why the geologist who got his face melted came back to the ship as a super-zombie thing and started punching people ten feet in the air. There was no precedent for it, and nothing like it afterwards or in the rest of the series.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:20 
Worst

Why the spoiler tags? The film is out, and there is a separate, no-spoiler, thread.

But anyway:

Dunno. Guess they wanted to pay tribute to zombie films.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:25 
Bad Girl

YOG wrote:
What I still don't get is

why the geologist who got his face melted came back to the ship as a super-zombie thing and started punching people ten feet in the air. There was no precedent for it, and nothing like it afterwards or in the rest of the series.

Is it because he got a full dose of the black stuff? A droplet messed the other guy up. Plus the virus stuff wasn't in the other films.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:30 
Kvnt

Yeah, he got some black stuff, but it doesn't have that effect on anybody else! Maybe they weren't bothered about what it does, just that it does bad stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:34 
Bad Girl

Let's be fair, it did have an effect on the main guy but you never saw the advanced stages. No one else in the entire film had any contact with it. However, look at the worms that did come into contact with it - it turned a simple worm into a ginormous powrrful snake like thing. I'd say there was precedent there.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:35 
Kvnt

Yeah, true. Maybe the other guy would have hulked out as well if he hadn't asked to be barbecued.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:48 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

throughsilver wrote:
Why the spoiler tags? The film is out, and there is a separate, no-spoiler, thread.

No there isn't -and this isn't even a Prometheus thread! So, you know, spoiler tags.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 13:07 
UltraMod

Some of you are reading far too much into this 'Alien prequel' thing. It's how it started years ago, but since then they've pretty much come out and said it's not really. Just try to enjoy it for what it is, rather than what it isn't.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 15:20 

See, I generally agree with what you're saying there, but then they go and do things like:
Have murals of what are clearly Aliens on the walls

and
Have the Engineer at the end give birth to what was obviously supposed to be a variant of the Alien

I went in expecting it to not be that related to Alien, so I wasn't too disappointed (well, apart from all of the other problems the film has) but those points, along with the obvious
setting-up-for-a-sequel makes me wonder if they're going to tie it into Alien more concretely in the future.

One theory going around is that
Shaw and David jet off to the Engineer homeworld, with Shaw at the controls inside one of the Space Jockey suits. Something goes wrong, she gets infected, the ship crash lands on LV-426 and a "proper" Alien bursts out of her and goes off to make a hive, thus setting the scene for the beginning of Alien.

I'm not sure what I'd feel about that if it actually happened.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 15:21 
Kvnt

BTW, did anyone else lol at the faux-pagan flight-deck-controlled-by-space-flute bollocks?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 15:23 

YOG wrote:
BTW, did anyone else lol at the faux-pagan flight-deck-controlled-by-space-flute bollocks?

Not as much as I LOLd at the
Prometheus running on Windows 7: http://i.imgur.com/MJxim.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 15:32 
Worst

Grim... wrote:
throughsilver wrote:

No there isn't -and this isn't even a Prometheus thread! So, you know, spoiler tags.

Boo.

Wasn't there a 'let's meet up and watch this' thread?

It's a Prometheus thread now. A mod should rename it 'Alien series' and all's good. ^_^

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 15:36 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Spoiler tags aren't exactly hard work.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 15:38 
Skillmeister

It was Kevin Spacey.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 17:54 
UltraMod

GazChap:
They've already said if they get the chance to do a sequel, they're going to take it even further away from Alien, not tie it in at all.

Also, is it correct that the two AvP films are considered non-canon, considering they're set in the present day?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 18:14 

Yeah, up until Prometheus, the two AvP films were considered canon. Now Ridley's basically said they're definitely not, and as far as I know Fox agrees.

Which is a shame, because in one sense (making me feel bad for the characters when they are inevitably offed) AvP is better than Prometheus.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 18:24 
Skillmeister

I think it's blindingly obvious what Fox thinks of the two Aliens Vs Predator flimums, as they're never included in the new ways they find to sell you the "quadrilogy" set for home consumption.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 18:57 

I have seen them included in other box sets though, there was one a few years back (before AvP:R came out I think) that had the first four Alien films, and AvP tacked on at the end.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 19:01 
Skillmeister

Mm when they were new they pushed them, but now it's as if they don't want anything to do with them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 19:19 

Are the AvP films actually any good? I've never bothered with them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 19:23 
Skillmeister

No. No they're not. Very not.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 19:33 

Ah good. I'll continue as normal.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 21:18 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I'm sure I've got a box set with all six in.

I quite liked the second AvP.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 21:39 

AvP:R is quite a good film, but is a terrible Alien/Predator film. It's more of a teen-slasher flick IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 23:06 
Worst

Craster wrote:
Spoiler tags aren't exactly hard work.

[spoile]Yes they are.[/spoile]

See? :(

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:08 
Comfortably Dumb

Grim... wrote:
I'm sure I've got a box set with all six in.

Me too. My brother bought it for my for Christmas one year, despite me owning the Quadrilogy.

Actually, while we're at it, is Resurrection worth watching? I've heard it's not much cop?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:32 
UltraMod

Resurrection is better than AlienCubed, IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:07 

The theatrical release of Alien 3 is a good standalone film, but is a poor follow-up to Aliens.

The workprint release of Alien 3 (on the Quadrilogy) is far, far better and despite suffering the same issue (killing off most of the survivors of Aliens, thus rendering the entire film pointless) it somehow just... works.

Resurrection, on the other hand, is pap. When not even Ron Perlman can save your film from being utter dross, you know you're doing something wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:09 
Skillmeister

I liked Alien3, really liked the workprint, but loved the concept of the wooden monastery planet with an atmosphere only inches thick.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:15 
Unpossible!

I also liked Alien3. Although as a student of CGI, the compositing of the DogAlien makes me sad. It's utter dross in places.

Mind you, have you seen the working footage of the poor doggy in the Alien costume? Bawww :)

Edit:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:16 
Gogmagog

Hahahaha! That's awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:20 

DavPaz wrote:
Although as a student of CGI, the compositing of the DogAlien makes me sad.

There is no CGI on the Alien in Alien 3, with the exception of the Alien's head cracking at the end.

s'all practical effects.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:45 
Unpossible!

Compositing, my friend.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:59 

Ah-ha, I see.

As you were ;)

Reply to topic  [ 1046 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 21  Next