Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Alien and Aliens
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 17:12 
UltraMod

Craster wrote:
The Last Salmon Man wrote:
That's shit though. Sometimes it's fun checking out what's happening in the background. I don't want a film telling me where I should be looking - that's for me to decide!

Didn't say it was great, just said it was how to avoid getting a headache and eyestrain.

Oh, I don't. I've had no problems watching 3D films at all - it's just rubbish for so many reasons.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 19:24 

I'm back!

I thought it was pretty good, for a Ridley Scott first cut... I'll initiate spoiler discussion later when I've had a good think. I have questions!

But overall, a solid "Alien" effort. Needed another hour of film, though. Felt like it wasn't just cut down, but hacked at with an axe to get it to two hours, and a lot of vital stuff seems to be missing. I'm looking forward to the Director's Cut DVD with over an hour of extra scenes, and James Cameron's superior sequel, Prometheuss. Or Prometheuses. Or Promethei. Actually, it'd be Prometheuses if anything because it's a Greek word. Or Prometheodes...

Oh, and I thought the acting was passable. The worst being that female Scottish doctor (she only has a few lines), but she's so fucking bad it's almost difficult to tell if she's taking the piss or not.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 19:54 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Craster wrote:
BikNorton wrote:
I saw crappy 3D effects, and everything I wanted to look at was blurry, and OW FUCK MY EYES HURT, before walking out of Tron Legacy, getting a refund, and vowing never to watch a film in 3D again.

That's because you're trying to look at bits of the screen that aren't where the focus is. The trick is to let the film guide where you focus, and stop trying to look at background bits.

That's shit though. Sometimes it's fun checking out what's happening in the background. I don't want a film telling me where I should be looking - that's for me to decide!

Er, no, no it isn't. Unless you've got magic eyes that can see somewhere the camera isn't pointing.

:roll:

For example, during exposition scenes on Nick Fury's ship thing in Avengers, I was checking out some cool details in the background - I wouldn't be able to do that in 3D as it'd all be blurry and I'd be forced to look at the focal point only.

I agree completely with Last Salmon Man. I too was trying to do that in Avengers and felt immensely frustrated that the labours of love the set-designers had toiled upon were forever out of discernment of my sharply resolving eye. 3D is shit.

There's a good bit with Nolan in this months Empire where he expounds on why he doesn't like 3D, but I won't go into it now. Everything that needs to be said is up there, above. If 3D was about, we would have missed the entertainingly floppy moustache extra in Commando who dies in every third shot. It would have been focused on Arnie's cigar instead. Or Bennett's equal raging hard-on.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 20:02 

That Empire review of Prometheus:

Quote:
Only it stalls. Put it this way, if you were eagerly awaiting a reinvigoration of the Alien franchise, some 3D chestbursting, facehuggers popping out of succulent eggs, some fresh psychosexual strand of xenomorphology ready to haunt our lives — a chance for the audience to be one step ahead of the doomed crew — you’re in for a colossal let-down. Leastways, it turns out Scott wasn’t fibbing, or even hedging his bets — this most definitely isn’t an Alien movie in that sense at all.

Was anyone actually eagerly awaiting "3D chestbursting" and the other stuff they talk about in that quote above? It seems the review and the disappointment felt in it, is based around the reviewer apparently expecting that. Despite the fact that Scott made it pretty clear it wouldn't be like that. Basically, the review is a little overly critical because the reviewer is apparently butt hurt.

He's right about the thin characters and lack of development, but that's a symptom of the film's only major problem - it's cut too short. Should've been three hours long.

But hey, film mags are even worse than games mags - everyone knows that. :shrug:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 20:09 
Bad Girl

Did you watch it in teh freedez? I can't make my mind up whether to pay a tenner extra for the privilege or not.

(going tomorrow, squee)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 20:11 

No way! Regular 2D. Spent extra on VIP seating though. (Basically two rows of extra large arm chairs in the dead centre of the cinema.)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 20:26 
Bad Girl

Conhnnnghhdrum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 20:32 

Do you enjoy 3D? Personally, I think it's shite. That's why I don't see films in 3D. If you like it, it'd probably be right good because it's a spectacular looking film.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 20:48 
Bad Girl

I've seen about two films in triple D, one of which was UP which had some lovely depth but I don't think it made the film any better. It was probably a bit distracting, now I think about it. But that might have been because of the novelty of it all too. Hmmm, I might try it out and see if it adds anything. Doesn't sound like it'll ruin it from your teaser.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 20:54 

I saw Up in 3D as well. It was lovely in parts. Avatar, on the other hand, was a shite blurry mess. I can't remember what the other "live action" film I saw in 3D was now that I think about it, but after that and Avatar, I vowed never to bother any more. Certainly not worth paying MORE for. It's an inferior experience, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 23:03 

Some people are really down on Prometheus. Jonathan Ross doesn't like it. Lots of people tweeting it's shit. Is it one of those cases where it's cool to bash on the hotly anticipated thing?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 23:31 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

WTB wrote:
Some people are really down on Prometheus. Jonathan Ross doesn't like it. Lots of people tweeting it's shit. Is it one of those cases where it's cool to bash on the hotly anticipated thing?

Probably just venting their disappointment, or a manifestation of their feelings that the film wasn't what they wanted.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 23:35 

I suppose that was always a danger. Loads of trailers, "Alien prequel" talk flying around.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 23:00 
Bad Girl

Very nice.

Not brilliant or good but nice.

3D was awesome, by the way. There's never too much going on and since there are lots of slow pans or static shots it's really freaking cool. I didn't get much eye strain or 3D fatigue at all. Unlike the 3D in the advert for Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter which pissed me off instantly with its stupid tight shot action sequences. By comparison Promethus was just made for 3D. It looked amazing.

Too amazing in fact, because despite being a prequel to Alien the technology seemed far beyond what was on Nostromo. Got on my nerves that the touch screens and ship displays looked freaking awesome but I just didn't think it was in keeping with the fiction.

This should probably have its own thread, right, for spoilerific discussion!

That does it, I'm going towatch Alien again in preparation of whining and moaning, which is on Channel 4. NOW.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 23:08 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

The tech level really didn't bother me. In fact I think it's all in keeping with the three 'feels' of the ships in Alien, Aliens and Prometheus. Alien was set on board a grungy mining / cargo vessel that may have pre-dated all of the ships seen in the series, the Aliens ship had a real ruggedised military feel while the Prometheus was a cushy corporate jet type thingy that affords the level of comfort that allows Miss Sexy Boots a grand piano in her suite.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 23:42 
Bad Girl

Nah, it's rubbish. The Alien tech was rubbish as well, especially after they'd changed the composition of the cockpit room too. There were no chairs or spongy buttons!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 0:26 

I really enjoyed that. I can't see what most of the nay-sayers are complaining about.

OK, the script isn't brilliant, but it does the job - there's not an awful lot of questions answered in the course of the film, so there's little opportunity for exposition which would be a valid criticism.

The characters are indeed totally undeveloped throughout the course of the film, but you could say the same thing about Alien really - until Aliens came along to develop Ripley's character a bit further. There's not really anyone in the first film that goes through a "character arc" or anything.

The effects, cinematography and general look of the film is astonishing - absolutely beautiful, and as Ian Fairies points out, the 3D is very unintrusive and doesn't add a massive amount to the film, so is easy to deal with.

A couple of things don't make sense (spoilers)

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
At the time of Alien's release, the viewers knew that the crew of the Nostromo were a bunch of rag-tag commercial starship workers, so it made sense that they had no idea what they were getting themselves in for. They were underprepared, underequipped, and generally outclassed in every way. That's fine.

So why, then, is the Prometheus largely crewed by incompetents? It's even said in the film that it's a trillion-dollar expedition, so why would they hire a geologist with a scant disregard for authority, a scientist who shows the a tremendously high level of stupidity when faced with an alien creature, and a captain who (despite getting a rather bad-ass sendoff) leaves the bridge/comms room unattended while two crew members are left stranded out of the ship, thus effectively cutting off their communications?

The only other thing that bothered me was that when Holloway discovered his infection, instead of telling people and going straight to the medical bay, as a normal person would, he instead decides to try and hide it and ends up killing himself.

The "caesarean birth" scene was rather uncomfortable to watch, not at all what I was expecting. Not necessarily a bad thing, though.

Weyland's makeup job made me think of Vigo from Ghostbusters II.

Charlize Theron has a nice butt.

7.5/10

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:51 

See what I'd like explaining, really simply for an idiot, is:

Why did David infect him at all? Clearly it was his intention to take a specimen home, right? But who told him to do that. The whole mission was apparently to save Weyland's life, right? So what did a specimen have to do with it? I mean, androids don't make those sort f decisions for themselves, do they? They do as they're told - by their "master" at least. So if the whole mission was to get Weyland access to an Engineer, what was that about?

I was also bothered by how he didn't tell anyone he was infected, and also bothered by how Ripley wannabe didn't seem to tell anyone "hey, I just cut a fucking alien out of my gut!" when she came in contact with the first person she saw. She just sort of quietly got on with it... Anyone care to offer an interpretation? Or was it just a plot hole?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:51 
Bad Girl

I've just read on another forum that Weyland ordered him to do it. I never thought that at the time? I can't see where the evidence for that is mentioned either.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:52 

It wasn't that Weyland told him to do it as such, it was that he wanted to see if the "infection" would have good effects rather than bad, i.e. give eternal youth or whatever, so that he could give it to Weyland.

There's also the suggestion that David wanted to be able to create life.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:04 
Bad Girl

Whilst it's clear that David is capable of independent thought, the idea that he was told to do it seems more plausible in my mind, but his mission is clear in that he will do anything to assist Weyland's plan so giving the virus/black tar as his own experiment might also fit.

And here's a few thoughts I want to get down:

The suicide crash: As far as the captain is concerned, no more alien shit is getting on board. When a great big space craft appears in front of him he immediately takes his own life crashing into it. I can sort of see why this would make sense but it's done in such a hokey fashion that it annoyed me. The New Ripley, whilst not the worse actress in the world, was really struggling to emote with any passion what was aboard. I wanted her to scream with venom IT'S GOING TO EARTH! THEY'RE GOING TO KILL US ALL! or summats; just enough to convince the captain and the cinema goers that the ship had to be stopped. It didn't work for me.

Plus good old Captain was putting in his best Luther performance when he should have been putting in his The Wire performance. Did he look shaken? Was this a man on the edge confronted by an alien threat? He certainly didn't look it to me. Maybe he wasn't given enough air time, which seems a misstep given that he alone becomes responsible for saving earth.

Then the whole spaceship-rolling-around-thing was just stupid. The amount of people who moaned that the two girls should have been running sideways as I was leaving the cinema was enormous. Yes, it might not dawn on you in a panic etc but it's such a daft sequence there's no need for a rolling spaceship in serious fiction when an audience would be just as happy with a nice crash, boom, explosion.

And then the last sequence seemed hurried. The engineer bursting in, getting face sucked etc etc etc. It hurtled by like an afterthought. "So she escapes right?" "yup" "What about the engineer?" "Dead?" "Nah, he could chase her and get eaten" "Fine, but hurry up cause I've got Pilates to go to in an hour".

That'll do. I still enjoyed it though. Especially the Caesarian even though the clamp looked more like one of those grab the prize machines at the fair despite the ludicrously advanced technology.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 13:28 

I'm quite pleased with those interpretations!

So are we all in agreement that the film felt like it had important scenes chopped out to bring it down to a "mainstream" running time?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 14:03 
Excellent Member

I really really hope this is another Kingdom of Heaven for Ridley, and that he does the right thing by the fans and reinstates at LEAST another 30 minutes for the BLu Ray release (conservative estimate on my part).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 14:23 

Yeah, it felt like there was a lot of "glue" missing that held everything together.

A lot of things in the film happened, and then had no further part to play in the film. Hopefully they're just bits that were excised for time and can be released on a Director's Cut.

On reflection, I've thought of another thing I didn't like:
The holographic projections of the Engineers running through the tunnels only to die, and the projections of them using the navigation computer.

I get why they were a part of the film, for the "wow" factor (they seemed to serve little purpose other than that) but I can't reconcile why there were actually there on the ship. It seems absurd that the ship be able to record accurately the last movements of the crew and then play it back like that, especially given the prior knowledge that all the crew of the Nostromo had to go on (when visiting an identical ship) was a simple radio signal.

Also, one of the people leaving the cinema at the same time as us said:
"I don't like the way they've renamed them. They're Space Jockeys, not Engineers!"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they've never been referred to by that name in any of the non-extended-universe material, right?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 16:31 

I really enjoyed that. Also stoked on recognising the place where they found the cave painting as being where we were a few weeks ago:

Old Man Of Storr Walk by Loopdreams, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 16:37 

Cool! Did you find any cave paintings?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 18:24 
Bad Girl

I hated that part of the story. I didn't mind the suicide but to then have a bunch of cave paintings mapping the way to, what, a military facility of some kind? Not impressed. It suggested that the engineers had come back over the years just to point out where they store the good shit. I'm sure they could of thought of something better to motivate them to look for the meaning of life.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:48 
baron of techno

That was amazing!

Can't really think of anything I didn't like about it. It was only on in 3D at the cinema we went to, and I'd say it was well worth it, for one or two scenes in particular.

As the credits came up, we were talking about it a bit, turned round and noticed *everyone else* in little groups doing the same thing! Hardly anyone had left. Never seen that at any film before.

Now to watch Alien and LOL at the suddenly dated technology.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:50 
baron of techno

Ian Fairies wrote:
I hated that part of the story. I didn't mind the suicide but to then have a bunch of cave paintings mapping the way to, what, a military facility of some kind? Not impressed. It suggested that the engineers had come back over the years just to point out where they store the good shit. I'm sure they could of thought of something better to motivate them to look for the meaning of life.

Thing is, the engineers weren't what you expected, really. They work in mysterious ways, so I'm not sure the cave paintings have to make logical sense to us.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:01 

kalmar wrote:
That was amazing!

Can't really think of anything I didn't like about it. It was only on in 3D at the cinema we went to, and I'd say it was well worth it, for one or two scenes in particular.

As the credits came up, we were talking about it a bit, turned round and noticed *everyone else* in little groups doing the same thing! Hardly anyone had left. Never seen that at any film before.

Now to watch Alien and LOL at the suddenly dated technology.

Yeah, I forgot about the whole Alien thing and just enjoyed watching a big sci-fi at the pictures. I enjoyed Avengers but it left me slightly wondering what all the fuss was about. Just another superhero film, safe, formulaic, predictable but with some better then average dialogue etc. Much preferred watching Prometheus. I can forgive a film a lot of failings if it at least has some ambition and scope. If it is considered part of the Alien franchise then it's the third best one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:26 

If we're comparing Avengers and Prometheus, Prometheus wins hands down.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 19:16 

Just watched this in Cwmbran of all places.

Clearly director's cut in the not too distant future, and probably a sequel as well. Things not already coved in the spoilers so far:

So the crashed ship looks totally like the one they find in Alien... But it can't be the same planet and ship, can it, as there'd be the pod from Prometheus, etc. and that ship had an space jockey in the seat, and the space jockey engineer guy who I have to say I didn't warm to at all (he was a dick) got chest busted with his helmet on whilst sat in the cockpit gun thing on the bridge of the horseshoe Ripley etc found. But if, as this and all the other films tell us, the aliens evolve according to hosts, how come the alien at the end looked like the alien from alien?

If you just want to go and see a film that captures the whole going to a new planet and discovering shit vibe, then you can't do a great deal better than this one. It's also a rather capable Alien universe film and when Scott gets his at on the cut, it'll probably be one of the very best sci-fi films of the last god knows how long.

With things like Another Earth and Chronicle around these days though, it's more like they've done away with bars than the bar has been raised. Best couple of hours I've had in the cinema for a good while, mind.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 19:25 
Bad Girl

It's another planet init? LV-223. The terrain was completely different to where the ship crashed in Alien, as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 20:29 

Righto.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 20:30 
Kvnt

WTB wrote:

Saw both today (went on my own to the former, and then found my dad and brother were going to see the latter in the evening), and I have to agree! In spite of its problems - and many of the complaints here are spot-on - it's still a great way to spend a couple of hours.

Just to add a couple more nerd-niggles:

The thing about the original Alien is that the extraterrestrials in it (both the xenomorph and the space jockey) are so utterly, well, alien. We don't know where they came from, or why one of their ships crashed on this remote dustball of a planet, and we don't know why it carries a whole bunch of horrible eggs that produce horrible monsters. Moreover, I always had the impression that whatever the space jockeys' motivations were, they would be beyond the comprehension of human minds.

So, in Prometheus, it turns out that those creepy, inhuman space jockey faces are just helmets, and that they actually look like comic-book humans underneath. Those horrible eggs? Bioweapons, just like the ones those stupid, petty humans use. And the ending of the movie hints that whatever questions are left are going to be answered in the sequel. It just takes away so much of the mystery and inhumanity of the creatures in Alien.

Also, while it's great as a stand-alone piece of SF, as an Alien-series film it's far too similar to Alien. All the flamethrowers and secret incubation within a crewmember and shady corporations and androids and so on. Too many disposable and forgettable crewmembers, too. Oh, and the forced religious theme was a wet fart.

Best part of The Avengers was
Hulk going at Loki like a dog with a dead squirrel. Have to agree that "mewling quim" was a bit dodgy, though. I'm told Whedon was just seeing if he could get it past the censors, but as an insult it's still deeply misogynistic (essentially standing in for "cunt").

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 23:56 
Excellent Member

WTB wrote:

The Avengers is an enjoyable romp, but to me didn't match the hype.

As for Prometheus ......... for me (as a massive fan of Alien) it was a complete and utter disaster. I truly hated it. What a bloody mess. I honestly wish that I hadn't wasted my money on it.

2/10

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 0:16 
Rude Belittler

Pundabaya wrote:
Anyway, I feel the Prometheus is on a hiding to nothing going the 'prequel of Alien' route. Every person who goes to see it will expect xenomorphs out of the wazoo, and if it doesn't happen, the film will get slated.

hmmm?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:25 

Because one person just said they hated it? Everyone else in this thread has been pretty positive!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:04 
UltraMod

Alien was always my favourite, so overall I was pleased with this. Very slow-paced, but picked up towards the end. It also felt like Bladerunner, in a way.

Dialogue was piss-weak, but I'd give it a 7.5/10. More questions than answers, though, and Rapace was a bit too much like a young Weaver, visually.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:28 
Kvnt

More questions than answers, though, and Rapace was a bit too much like a young Weaver, visually.

Heh, when I first saw her waking up from the hypersleep thingy near the start, I thought it was Weaver for a second.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 14:23 
Skillmeister

This film sounds like Footloose. Sounds similar.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 14:24 
Unpossible!

Dimrill wrote:
This film sounds like Footloose. Sounds similar.

John Lithgow makes everything better.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 14:30 
Excellent Painter

I enjoyed this. I don't think the script was weak, or the dialogue, to be more precise, I just think it was pared back too much in the editing. Scott, in an interview on Kermode and Mayo's film show (on iTunes if you fancy a listen) pretty much confirmed that there will be a director's cut in the future.
Hopefully, this would pad out and resolve some of the questions raised about some of the characters behaviour, moreso than addressing questions about the engineers, which I think are better left to speculation for now and resolved in later films.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 17:25 
ugvm'er at heart...

:D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 17:30 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

:DD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 18:37 
Kvnt

The hybrid one? Because it's half human, duh. :p

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 21:54 
Comfortably Dumb

Seeing Prometheus tomorrow. I've got a feeling I'm not going to like it judging by the bits I've read, but I'm hoping to be proven wrong. I'm only really a fan of the first Alien film and I've not even seen Resurrection yet, so I'm not overly precious about how it ties in with the rest.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:44 
UltraMod

devilman wrote:
I'm only really a fan of the first Alien film

It's much more like Alien than any of the other films. More suspense horror than all-out action film.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:32 
Excellent Member

devilman wrote:

It's much more like Alien than any of the other films. More suspense horror than all-out action film.

Quite a few of the plot points are certainly very similar to those seen in Alien, but in terms of script and overall execution Prometheus is bloody lousy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:33 
UltraMod

Four_Candles wrote:
devilman wrote:

Quite a few of the plot points are certainly very similar to those seen in Alien, but in terms of script and overall execution Prometheus is bloody lousy.

The script wasn't good, I'll admit, but I enjoyed the pacing and overall thought it was pretty good. I'm looking forward to a director's cut.

Reply to topic  [ 1045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 21  Next