Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2981 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: BITS AND BOBS 26
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:04 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Zio wrote:
Does anyone know if there's some kind of free advice line or some thing like that for chaps with debt issues?

Have a look at Dealing With Debt page on the Money Made Clear website. Some useful advice there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:08 

DBSnappa wrote:
sinister agent wrote:
Citizenses Advice Bureau should be able to point you in the right direction.

If you can get through.

Also worth a shot are Consumer Credit Services which are a charitable debt advice service. I think you might be able to find their number on one of your credit card statements.

I'll give both a crack. From doing a quick Google, it looks like you mean the CCCS, DB. I'll give them a go a bit later as it looks like they might possibly be able to help.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:13 
baron of techno

Zio wrote:
Does anyone know if there's some kind of free advice line or some thing like that for chaps with debt issues?

I'm about as far as you can get from an expert on this, but..

Quote:
but plan A of getting a relatively low-interest, long-term loan to pay everything off

Isn't that the thing they always say *not* to do?

Combining it all in to one thing might make it seem more manageable but you are likely prolonging the paying-off period.

Quote:
whilst simultaneously cutting out every unnecessary expenditure from my life

Because I think if you really genuinely do that and pay off the most expensive debts first you'd be clear in no time.

What's the scale of debt to monthly pay minus rent?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:29 

Apparently Firefox has overtaken IE in Europe. Blimey.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:33 
Gogmagog

MrsA on train to London.

I'M FREE!

Time for a beer.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:34 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Blucey wrote:

"Overtaken" how? Downloads? Usage?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:34 
Gogmagog

Parcel sent by amazon sent on 17th December arrived yesterday. LOLs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:36 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Grim... wrote:
Blucey wrote:

Perhaps they're having a London to Prague race like they do on Top Gear.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:43 

The addictive flapjacks sold in the canteen have risen in price to 52p. Bloody Tory governments...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:57 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Grim... wrote:
Blucey wrote:

It's usage, but it'll be ignoring every single machine behind a NATted firewall.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:07 
Hibernating Druid

And those not connected to the internet too.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:17 
INFINITE POWAH

Quote:
And those not connected to the internet too.

They're all using AOL.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:20 

Advice time!

Went on a date with a lovely gal towards the start of December. Was looking good for a second date but then she changed her mind, as she'd met another guy who she clearly thought was a better match. No biggie. We stayed friends, and although we've not met up since we've texted fairly regularly.

She texted me when she officially became "in a relationship" with this dude, as she thought I'd rather know direct than find out from Facebook. Wouldn't have bothered me either way (we only saw each other once after all :P) but what the hell.

Yesterday she texted me to tell me she'd broken up with him over Christmas because they realised they weren't as compatible as they first thought. Again, she texted me as she "just should she should let me know."

Is she trying to get me to invite her out on another date? I'd be interested in another one, y'see, but I'm terrible at reading this kinda shit.

(hey, if posting this stuff in BNB worked for sinister agent... :P)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:20 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Craster wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Blucey wrote:

It's usage, but it'll be ignoring every single machine behind a NATted firewall.

Christ, really?
Beex leads with Firefox at 36% to IEs 16%, but everything else I do has IE way out in front, normally around 60% to FF and Chrome's 30% each.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:21 
INFINITE POWAH

Haaang on, Gaz - is she Polish? ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:22 
Gogmagog

I'd not want to be the second best option.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:27 
Master of dodgy spelling....

But then, she might have realised she has made a mistake...

Always worth asking her out for a drink/etc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:27 

Grim, someone posted it on another forum but the link was to the Daily Mail website and, y'know, fuck clicking that shit.

I guess it's usage they mean but it might also mean that immigrants are lowering house prices by stealing your wi-fi and using it to make nazi slurs about Diana.

Gaz, she might have been hedging her bets all along. Personally I'd be a little scared off by it but in the words of Marsellus Wallace, that's just pride fucking wit ya. Probably worth keeping your options open but I'd be wary of trying to make the first move.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:28 
Hibernating Druid

If you're still keen, ask her out.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Then dump her.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:28 

Yeah, I don't see the problem with being "second choice" as it were. Given the timeframes involved, it's not like they'd have been massively in love with each other or anything, it'd be the same as me dating someone for a while before realising we weren't compatible.

In fact, if anything, the only concern I have is that they did the whole "in a relationship" thing in such a short timeframe. Seems a bit odd to me, that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:30 
Hibernating Druid

I've been married for years now and I'm still waiting for this 'relationship' thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:33 

kalmar wrote:
What's the scale of debt to monthly pay minus rent?

Heh, it's a hell of a lot. The good news is that I've never missed a payment on anything and I am able to make the minimum payments on stuff, but last night I worked out that after paying all my bills and stuff every month, I'm left with about £150 - £200 a month to myself. Until now, that has also been with making only the minimum payments on my two credit cards, which is obviously pretty fucking disastrous - I mean, I worked out last night that, of the £95 MBNA have off me every month for my Virgin card, only £1.50 goes towards paying the balance, all the rest is interest!

At the very least, I discovered that my other credit card, the one I have with my bank, is offering 0% interest for 6 months on balance transfers and due to the obscene credit limit they've given me on that card, I was able to move all but £300 quid from the Virgin card onto that. Now there's absolutely no way I can pay off the balance in 6 months, but hopefully I'll be able to knock a chunk of it off.

I've seen the same model car as mine with similar mileage sell for anything between £6k - £8k, so the plan at the moment is to sell that soon and get something really cheap, no more than £1k and use the change to go towards that credit card balance. I've never sold a car before so I'm not entirely sure how best to go about that - was thinking of waiting till around March time when the weather improves and maybe people have gotten over the typical post-Christmas skint period. I need to sort out some of the minor scrapes to the paintwork, clean up the upholstery and it needs a new front tyre, but it's got a full dealer service history (sadly, it'll need another before I come to sell it), so maybe I'll get a decent-ish amount for that by selling privately.

Then whatever is left I'll try and transfer to another 0% deal.

Debt problems are a bit embarrassing, and I've made a lifetime's worth of embarrassing posts here in the past, so I'll spoiler the details of it all:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I'm about £26,000 in debt and my salary is only £21,500, so I owe more than I earn in a year even before tax and I fucking hate my job and need something else. Half of it is in the form of a personal bank loan which I used to buy my car from the finance company and pay off one of my credit cards, that's currently at £13,500. After the balance transfer last night, I owe a little under £10,000 on one credit card (thankfully the vast majority is at 0% interest for the next 6 months), plus I'm £2,500 overdrawn (though still within the limit, and I get paid in a week's time).

It's frightening. Part of how it's got so bad is that I have an amazing ability for simply ignoring it, because thinking about it makes me feel very sick and really quite distressed - in fact last night was the first time I was able to bring myself to tell my own mother about it. The stupid thing is is that I used to be fairly careful with money. Four and a half years ago, the only debt I had was a £2,000 credit card bill. Then breaking up with my ex and leaving the home we mutually owned cost me a huge amount of money, particularly as she wanted to keep the place and, out of guilt, I continued paying my share of the mortgage and bills for about 9 months until she was able to sort it out for herself. Plus I'd had to move back in with my parents and pay them rent. Plus, they wouldn't speak to me for months over the whole thing, so I'd go out all the while and eat all my meals out to avoid them.

I got a new job that paid more, but I needed to learn to drive. That took 44 lessons at £22 each, plus I had to take my theory test twice. I needed my own transport, so rather than doing the sensible thing and chucking a couple of hundred quid at an old banger, I bought a £13,100 Honda Civic so as not to look a complete twat parking up next to all the cunts in their BMWs and Audis in the work car park.

You all know about the pregnancy saga and how I came down with a proper dose of the mentals then, so I got properly stuck in with retail and alcohol therapy for a good while too. I wince everytime I read about JC buying yet another computer part because I too used to just buy shit all the time for no good reason and now I have to deal with the consequences.

Anyway, I like to think now that those mental days are behind me. The last stupid purchase I made was probably around June time last year and I'm now very much wanting to sort this problem out once and for all. If nothing else, I have a daughter now, unquestionably the most important thing in my life bar none, and I want to make sure she doesn't suffer too much from her father being a bell-end.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:34 
INFINITE POWAH

MaliA wrote:
I'd not want to be the second best option.

Soz, Mali.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:35 
ugvm'er at heart...

She wants you to ask her out.
Simple question, do you like her? If so, ask her out, if not don't.

Everything else is just incidental.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:39 
baron of techno

Zio, I just read your spoilered bit going "faaaack!" at every paragraph, so I'm sorry I'm not going to be any help :) Best of luck with it all though matey, sounds like you've turned the corner so you will get there in the end, but it looks like it's going to take a little while...

Master of dodgy spelling....

Trooper wrote:
She wants you to ask her out.
Simple question, do you like her? If so, ask her out, if not don't.

Everything else is just incidental.

:this:

Why not, what have you got to lose?

Zio: You sound like you've got your head screwed on re. your debt, so keep your chin up and stick at it, and you'll get there.

You can clear this debt, and if you do it intelligently by pushing the balances on to other 0% cards when the free interest periods expire, you can probably do it fairly cheaply too, interest-wise.

Don't fall into the trap that I did, where I'd buy stupid shit (even if it was cheap shit) because "I'm already £16,000 in debt, another £10 won't matter."

Get yourself on the Money Saving Expert forums, they have Debt Free Wannabe forums on there and they can be very, very helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:40 
baron of techno

Make sure to google her and see if she's on any forums first though ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:42 

Grim... wrote:
Craster wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Blucey wrote:

Christ, really?
Beex leads with Firefox at 36% to IEs 16%, but everything else I do has IE way out in front, normally around 60% to FF and Chrome's 30% each.

My knitting website has a browser spread like so:

Attachment:
Picture 1.jpg

Which is perhaps interesting.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:44 
ugvm'er at heart...

Zio wrote:
I've never sold a car before so I'm not entirely sure how best to go about that - was thinking of waiting till around March time when the weather improves and maybe people have gotten over the typical post-Christmas skint period. I need to sort out some of the minor scrapes to the paintwork, clean up the upholstery and it needs a new front tyre, but it's got a full dealer service history (sadly, it'll need another before I come to sell it), so maybe I'll get a decent-ish amount for that by selling privately.

There is never the right time to sell a car, so today is as right as any other.

There are 3 places you'll want to advertise.
http://www.pistonheads.com classifieds section.
Ebay
Autotrader

Personally I just do the first 2, as they are much cheaper, PH is free, but I'm not sure if that is just for forum members or not? Only moving on to AT if it hasn't sold after a week or so.

Don't spend any money on fixing it up, just make sure it is clean and tidy, make your advert as honest as possible, put the price up as slightly undercutting the cars that are similar to yours and wait for the phone to ring. You will get haggled down, and the money you spend to put the car back into perfect condition you won't get back in the sale, so might as well let them use that as their haggle room and then everyone is happy :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:45 

kalmar wrote:
Make sure to google her and see if she's on any forums first though ;)

Damn, I knew I'd forgotten something.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:49 

GazChap wrote:
Don't fall into the trap that I did, where I'd buy stupid shit (even if it was cheap shit) because "I'm already £16,000 in debt, another £10 won't matter."

Amazing how that happens, isn't it? Last month I went through a period of writing down every single tiny thing I purchased, right down to my morning can of Coke and the amount of money I saw myself piss down the drain on silly little things was staggering.

I'll get myself on those forums you suggest too. I think selling the car is going to be a pretty major boost as I could be looking at 5-6 grand in change there for paying off stuff with. I love that fucking car though, will be hard to have to part with it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:49 
Sleepyhead

Gaz,

Definitely go for it. Something similar happened to me when I first hooked up with a girl, and then she went off with someone else for a bit, but they soon split up and she again initiated contact.

Seven and a bit years later we're married and about to have a baby!

Actually, on second thought... RUN FOR THE HILLS!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:55 

Trooper wrote:
There is never the right time to sell a car, so today is as right as any other...

Wow, thanks for the advice! I was wondering if it was worth spending any more on the car or not and I'd just presumed that there were better times for selling, but I guess cars aren't affected greatly by seasons being as they're not the kind of thing one buys on impulse.

In that case, I'll get looking at advertising it in the next week or so as it's taxed till March and the service will be due around the same time (1,000 miles and 2.5 months to go, essentially). It's MOT'd till November at least, so I'd imagine that'd be fairly attractive to potential buyers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:57 
Honey Boo Boo

GazChap wrote:
Advice time!

Punch her in the tits and do her up the gary.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:58 

Yeah, worst that she can say is "No, fuck off you bell-end" or something I suppose. Cheers all!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:58 
INFINITE POWAH

metalangel wrote:
GazChap wrote:
Advice time!

Punch her in the tits and do her up the gary.

I love you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:59 
ugvm'er at heart...

Zio wrote:
GazChap wrote:

Amazing how that happens, isn't it? Last month I went through a period of writing down every single tiny thing I purchased, right down to my morning can of Coke and the amount of money I saw myself piss down the drain on silly little things was staggering.

I'll get myself on those forums you suggest too. I think selling the car is going to be a pretty major boost as I could be looking at 5-6 grand in change there for paying off stuff with. I love that fucking car though, will be hard to have to part with it.

There is a proper classifieds section on PH, which turns out is free regardless of forum activity :)
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/

You can get some really great cars for under a grand, I used to do that all the time via ebay. I've had a BMW 520i, BMW530i, Lexus LS400, Jaguar XJ6 3.2 all for under £1k, some for under £500. All of them lasted more than a year with no maintenance, and I only sold them if they failed an MOT.
Bangernomics, the best way to motor on a budget :D Buy it cheap, don't spend anything on it, sell it if it breaks and buy another :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:59 

Zio wrote:
Wow, thanks for the advice! I was wondering if it was worth spending any more on the car or not and I'd just presumed that there were better times for selling, but I guess cars aren't affected greatly by seasons being as they're not the kind of thing one buys on impulse.

Convertibles apparently sell for slightly more money in general in the summer, and less in the winter. That's the only example I know of though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 13:00 

GazChap wrote:
Yeah, I don't see the problem with being "second choice" as it were. Given the timeframes involved, it's not like they'd have been massively in love with each other or anything, it'd be the same as me dating someone for a while before realising we weren't compatible.

In fact, if anything, the only concern I have is that they did the whole "in a relationship" thing in such a short timeframe. Seems a bit odd to me, that.

Just go for it mate; you obviously like her and she likes you - even I know enough about the mysterious, roundabout ways of women to gather that much - so, pick up the phone, ask her for a meet in a nice cosy pub or restaurant, and press <COLLECT>. :D

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 13:01 
ugvm'er at heart...

GazChap wrote:
Zio wrote:

Convertibles apparently sell for slightly more money in general in the summer, and less in the winter. That's the only example I know of though.

Agreed. How is the MX5 anyway? Mine has been mothballed over the winter, might go see if she starts this weekend!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 13:04 
ugvm'er at heart...

Captain Caveman wrote:
GazChap wrote:

Just go for it mate; you obviously like her and she likes you - even I know enough about the mysterious, roundabout ways of women to gather that much - so, pick up the phone, ask her for a meet in a nice cosy pub or restaurant, and press <COLLECT>. :D

Get with the times grandad!

Gaz, get on facebook, poke her, then tweet her a DM saying "lolz FNCY A SHG!!" and then buy her some hot wings from Nandos.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 13:06 

Trooper wrote:
Get with the times grandad!

Gaz, get on facebook, poke her, then tweet her a DM saying "lolz FNCY A SHG!!" and then buy her some hot wings from Nandos.

Listen mate, last time I asked a gal out on a date, it was the Roaring Twenties and I had to find a speak easy bar first. :D

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 13:07 

Trooper wrote:
Agreed. How is the MX5 anyway? Mine has been mothballed over the winter, might go see if she starts this weekend!

It's been sitting on my parents' driveway since October, really. My Dad takes it out for a spin every so often to keep it used.

To be fair to it, it's not once failed to start even in this ultra-cold weather - starts first time, every time. I'm amazed, I'd heard stories of the battery dying within weeks, but not on mine!

Only problem I've got with it is that the (almost brand new) alternator belt is squealing when it's very cold.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 13:09 

Also, score. I sent her a text saying that I didn't want to seem like I was pouncing on her recent break up, but would she like to go out for a drink. Got a reply back fairly quickly with "I think you're pouncing. Only joking! That would be really nice, yes :)"

Lovely jubbly. Cheers for the advice, sometimes I can be a right dimwit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 13:10 
INFINITE POWAH

GazChap wrote:
Also, score. I sent her a text saying that I didn't want to seem like I was pouncing on her recent break up, but would she like to go out for a drink. Got a reply back fairly quickly with "I think you're pouncing. Only joking! That would be really nice, yes :)"

Lovely jubbly. Cheers for the advice, sometimes I can be a right dimwit.

Translation: She totally wants to be pounced, the saucy minx.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 13:10 
baron of techno

And now, the pouncing :hat:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 13:11 

Sort-ed, job's a good 'un! Get pouncing, you'll be 'conkers deep' in no time. :D

Fortune favours the brave, especially where women are concerned. Whatever they say, they all love a bloke who's assertive and has bottle. :)

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 13:12 
INFINITE POWAH

Captain Caveman wrote:
Sort-ed, job's a good 'un! Get pouncing, you'll be 'conkers deep' in no time. :D

You charmer, you. :)

Quote:
Fortune favours the brave, especially where women are concerned. :)

Very, very true. No prizes for second place.

Unless it's a threesome.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 13:12 
Unpossible!

Captain Caveman wrote:

Fortune favours the brave, especially where women are concerned. :)

Did you ever meet Gaz's ex....

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2981 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 60  Next