Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2981 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: BITS AND BOBS 26
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 23:40 
Honey Boo Boo

Grim... wrote:
Are trains that size told to drive through situations like that? I know it's impossible to stop one, but looking closely at that video and others, they don't appear to even have their brakes on.

Having watched it a few times (even though you know what's going the happen, the first time I saw the impact I jumped as I didn't realize how sudden and fast it was going to be) I think you can see it's slowed down quite a bit by the time the last car is going over the crossing.

I'm not sure what the standard procedure is, I'll ask the former driver chap when I see him next. I'd note that one of the reasons North American trains have a 'nose' while many European trains don't is to improve crew survivability in crashes like this. Back when they first started introducing 'modern' electric trains back in the early 20th century, there were many traincrew killed when their cab-forward trains hit something as there was no crumple zone so to speak.

sinister agent wrote:
What's with the wailling? They got clear a good minute in advance, and it's not like her babies were still in there.

I think she's hysterical both with panic and with realizing that could have been her that just got creamed by an 80mph express train. It looks like she accidentally drove off the boards onto the tracks and the body of her car was stuck on the rails, holding the tires off the ground.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 23:41 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
TheVision wrote:
Next doors dog has been left on his own outside all day since about 9am this morning. He's been in my garden and various others with his tail inbetween his legs. He looks really scared... and he's very thin. I can see his ribs!

I've called the RSPCA but will they do anything? The person I spoke to on the phone seemed :shrug:

What sort of dog is it? Some dogs are always thin, no matter how well you look after them.
And the RSPCA are crap.

9am in this weather is just wrong, one of my dogs gets pissed off after about 20 mins of running around, the other starts whimpering after about 30 seconds - both give me a what did you do that to me for look when they come in that can only be countered with some cheese.

If they don't do anything this time then the next time it happens take a photo every hour with a time stamp on it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 23:46 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

metalangel wrote:
Holy shit!

Am I being dense, or is that set of coordinates in China?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 23:46 
Gogmagog

DBSnappa wrote:
Grim... wrote:
metalangel wrote:
Holy shit!

Are trains that size told to drive through situations like that? I know it's impossible to stop one, but looking closely at that video and others, they don't appear to even have their brakes on.

Someone smarter than me could probably explain the physics, but I always assumed that if something that size, with that momentum and that little traction, would actually be momentarily traveling faster if it was "skidding" into a stationary vehicle.

No. Some of the forward energy would be turned into heat by the application of the brakes against the turny bits and then the wheels against the rails.

A flyhitting the windscreen of an Intercity 125 travelling at top whack momentarily stops them, though, which is why the Aberden-London train in the summer is always late.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 23:55 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

GazChap wrote:
sinister agent wrote:
What's with the wailling? They got clear a good minute in advance, and it's not like her babies were still in there.

Probably the shock of realising that, had she still been in the car, she would now be very, very dead.

Or maybe she really liked her car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 0:29 

MaliA wrote:
A flyhitting the windscreen of an Intercity 125 travelling at top whack momentarily stops them, though, which is why the Aberden-London train in the summer is always late.
In other Theoretical Physics World news, all cows are hollow and spherical.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 0:34 

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 0:44 
Excellent Painter

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:

:DD This was one of the reasons I stopped paying attention in O' level physics.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 0:46 
Excellent Painter

MaliA wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:
Grim... wrote:
metalangel wrote:
Holy shit!

Someone smarter than me could probably explain the physics, but I always assumed that if something that size, with that momentum and that little traction, would actually be momentarily traveling faster if it was "skidding" into a stationary vehicle.

No. Some of the forward energy would be turned into heat by the application of the brakes against the turny bits and then the wheels against the rails.

Sorry. What part of "smarter than me" did you fail to recognise? :kiss:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:58 

DBSnappa wrote:
Hey, if we put dynamos on the train to harness the speed up from it applying the brakes whilst also forcing all the passengers to lie on armed hand grenades, we could invent a perpetual motion machine!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:10 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

You've over-engineered that. It wouldn't be a perpetual motion machine, it would be an infinitely accelerating motion machine. It will also save the human race when the universe begins to contract again in the far future because centripetal force will counteract the universe's attempts to shrink.

You're welcome, humanity.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:17 

Well, I've just watched the programme about the fat man, and felt the need to sit here at 3AM and moan about it.

I feel like I'm completely unable to feel any sympathy for people who are victims of their own wrongdoing in such a monstrous way. But my main issue here isn't with the fact he's fat, or even with him begrudging the NHS for refusing his operation in the past, but with the way the show—and even the surgeon—reported his problems and obesity in general.

The surgeon/consultant had mentioned how at this chap's particular weight it was almost impossible for him, without mobility, to burn off any calories. Yet the operation was nothing more than a gastric band which does nothing for the condition itself, but simply restricts the amount of food one can eat and the amount of energy one can absorb from that food. It's essentially a forced diet, but without the grumpiness involved. The entire point of the operation is to reduce the calorific intake and allow a natural loss of weight to occur, yet it was portrayed as the only solution to the problem by both the media and surgeon/consultant involved, and that without it there was absolutely no way in the world this chap could lose any weight at all.

Yet here the guy was, a few months later and many stone lighter, after reducing his calorific intake by a factor of sixteen. His weight was lost naturally due to the simple principle of ‘If you want to lose weight, take in less energy than you expend’. No doubt the operation helped him, but there's no fucking way that it was entirely impossible without medical intervention.

Gah. Fucking sob stories spun into shifting the blame and feigning futility.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:18 

Did his neck look like a vagina?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:20 

Wogan'sTrouserBulge wrote:
Did his neck look like a vagina?

No. His face and neck were surprisingly slim. That said, he spent the entire show naked, and there wasn't even a hint of showing any cock and/or balls, such were the size of his legs and belly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:16 

Malaboob wrote:
Well, I've just watched the programme about the fat man, and felt the need to sit here at 3AM and moan about it.

I feel like I'm completely unable to feel any sympathy for people who are victims of their own wrongdoing in such a monstrous way. But my main issue here isn't with the fact he's fat, or even with him begrudging the NHS for refusing his operation in the past, but with the way the show—and even the surgeon—reported his problems and obesity in general.

The surgeon/consultant had mentioned how at this chap's particular weight it was almost impossible for him, without mobility, to burn off any calories. Yet the operation was nothing more than a gastric band which does nothing for the condition itself, but simply restricts the amount of food one can eat and the amount of energy one can absorb from that food. It's essentially a forced diet, but without the grumpiness involved. The entire point of the operation is to reduce the calorific intake and allow a natural loss of weight to occur, yet it was portrayed as the only solution to the problem by both the media and surgeon/consultant involved, and that without it there was absolutely no way in the world this chap could lose any weight at all.

Yet here the guy was, a few months later and many stone lighter, after reducing his calorific intake by a factor of sixteen. His weight was lost naturally due to the simple principle of ‘If you want to lose weight, take in less energy than you expend’. No doubt the operation helped him, but there's no fucking way that it was entirely impossible without medical intervention.

Gah. Fucking sob stories spun into shifting the blame and feigning futility.

I think anyone who is so extremely fat is clearly suffering some sort of case of the mentals and in terms of NHS spending it's probably more expedient to deal with it by getting the weight off through surgery and then dealing with the mentals than by just continually shouting at him to stop eating so much.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:40 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:

There is, of course, every chance that I wasn't being entirely serious.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:41 
Unpossible!

If everyone in the world jumped at the same time, the sun would turn inside out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:44 
Gogmagog

When someone comes to the front door and says "Could I ask you a few questions for a survey?" do you:

a) Ask how much you're going to get paid for answering the questions, given that such data is a resource they use to make a profit from, then shut the door when they say 'we don't pay you'

OR

b) List all the high value electrical items in the house and which room they are in before saying "I'm never usually in during the day, I work full time"

Guess which option mrsA chose...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:30 
Gogmagog

Homeopathy banned for pets for not working

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:33 
Hibernating Druid

MaliA wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Science is always serious.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:35 
Unpossible!

Zardoz wrote:

Filthy Junkie Bitch

Nearly 5 years I've lived in London now and today, possibly for the first time, I forgot to touch in at Lewisham with my Oyster. Then got ticket checked on train for the first time in the month, and I have a lovely £25 penalty fare as I don't use a travelcard as it is cheaper not to :(

To compound my error, I now realise that I still touched out at Canary Wharf, so I'll get a penalty max fare charge as well. Boo-urns.

I then nearly got ran over on the way across the wharf as I was too busy laughing at collings and herrin.

Today, things are not coming up Milhouse quite so much.

Gogmagog

Zardoz wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Explain penguins, then.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:36 
Hibernating Druid

MaliA wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Explain penguins, then.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:38 
baron of techno

"Was Jo Yeates strangled by her own ski sock?" - Scottish Daily Record, 1 hr ago

Seriously, Scottish Daily Record? Strangled by?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:44 
Hibernating Druid

Pulled up too high?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:46 
baron of techno

It was DavPaz wot dun it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:47 
Unpossible!

kalmar wrote:
It was DavPaz wot dun it.

Getting her up the ladder was the worst part

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:16 

markg wrote:
I think anyone who is so extremely fat is clearly suffering some sort of case of the mentals and in terms of NHS spending it's probably more expedient to deal with it by getting the weight off through surgery and then dealing with the mentals than by just continually shouting at him to stop eating so much.

I know that, and I don't necessarily disagree with the operation being performed; they clearly have a disorder. What I do disagree with is the media and supposed professionals telling us that it's absolutely the only way for this man to physically lose weight, that he's past the point of dieting, even though that's exactly how this operation functions; it simply removes the chance of him continuing to stuff himself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:16 

markg wrote:

I know that, and I don't necessarily disagree with the operation being performed; they clearly have a disorder. What I do disagree with is the media and supposed professionals telling us that it's absolutely the only way for this man to physically lose weight, that he's past the point of dieting, even though that's exactly how this operation functions; it simply removes the chance of him continuing to stuff himself.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:17 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Quote:
Dozens of dead birds have been found lying in a residential street in Sweden

I blame Nikachu.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:18 
Kvnt

Grief:
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
My auntie's just succumbed to a one-two punch of pneumonia and swine flu at 41, leaving behind two teenaged boys. I can't even imagine their devastation. Even my mum has the thousand-yard stare.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:21 
Gogmagog

Klatrymadon wrote:
Grief:
My auntie's just succumbed to a one-two punch of pneumonia and swine flu at 41, leaving behind two teenaged boys. I can't even imagine their devastation. Even my mum has the thousand-yard stare.

Sorry to hear that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:24 
Gogmagog

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Quote:

I blame Nikachu.

There were some in the US of late, too.

Just like Flash Forward.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:34 

Klatrymadon wrote:
Grief:

Very sorry to hear that, sir.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:36 
Hibernating Druid

That's terrible. So sorry to hear that Klatrymadon.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:36 

Yeah, my condolences. That's awful and it must be quite a shock.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:44 

Bloody hell Klatrymadon, I'm very sorry to hear about that. Hope you and everyone involved are alright.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:44 
Excellent Painter

Klatrymadon wrote:
Grief:

Fuck me that's awful. Sorry to hear that Klatyrmadon.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:49 
Unpossible!

That's awful dude. Thoughts are with you and your family.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:12 

So sorry to hear that, Klatrymadon.

My thoughts to you and the family, especially her two boys.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:17 
ugvm'er at heart...

Awful news :(

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:21 
ugvm'er at heart...

GazChap wrote:

I can't believe no-one has commented on that, that was awesome! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:36 
INFINITE POWAH

MaliA wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Quote:

I blame Nikachu.

Just like Flash Forward.

Or Jericho...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:37 
Gogmagog

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
MaliA wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Quote:

I blame Nikachu.

Just like Flash Forward.

Or Jericho...

Not seen that. It any good?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:40 

Very sorry to hear that Klatrymadon, how awful. 41...? :(

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:45 
INFINITE POWAH

MaliA wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
MaliA wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Quote:

I blame Nikachu.

Just like Flash Forward.

Or Jericho...

Not seen that. It any good?

Very. Nuclear bomb goes off near small Kansas town, no contact with outside world, chaos ensues. Very good indeed. Series 2 is a little less good, but still watchable.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:46 
ugvm'er at heart...

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Very. Nuclear bomb goes off near small Kansas town, no contact with outside world, chaos ensues. Very good indeed. Series 2 is a little less good, but still watchable.

I watched it.

My verdict = Meh.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:52 
Gogmagog

Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Worth £12, then, for series 1+2?

EDIT: I@m going to wait as I still need to watch:

The Pacific
The Wire Series 1
The Wire Series 2
BSG Series 1
BSG Series 2

Before anything else...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:53 
Those birds were in southern Sweden. Do we know what caused the American birds to fall outta the sky yet?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2981 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 60  Next