Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 372 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: The big wikileaks, er, leak!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 18:17 
Gogmagog

There was a "good" comment by Aaronovitch about it, saying something along the lines of "Actually, I'd prefere it if our diplomats could say stuff confidentially to others" which is what I agree with.

The rest of it, I am considering my opinion. Part of me thinks "LOL", the other part thinks "Shit, this could seriously damage relations with other states". I suppose it is like bridesmaids whispering at a wedding.

As a final thought, any "Human Rights, Freedom of Expression" argument falls on dead ears to me.

To conclude, it's quite interesting, I can see why some are upset and some are reacting the way they do, but, frankly, we've got more shit to worry about than whores in the Middle East.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 18:19 

GoodKingWrongceslas wrote:
Christmas Tsara wrote:
Sarah palin is fit, as as far as I am concerned can say what she wants because all I hear is "I love you MaliA" when she speaks.

Between her and Stiles you're properly mentally ill, Mali.

It's kind of like that bit in Goldfinger, where Connery single-handedly ruins Bond by not liking The Beatles. You build these people up in your mind and they end up just letting you down.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 18:19 
Hibernating Druid

Christmas Tsara wrote:
I suppose it is like bridesmaids whispering at a wedding.

"There's that cunt with the red shirt again."

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 19:30 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Christmas Tsara wrote:
we've got more shit to worry about than whores in the Middle East.

When it's US companies turning local ten year old boys into whores in the Middle East, I'm not convinced we do have more to worry about. It demonstrates the world's greatest power is completely under the thumb of the major corporate entities it hosts, and shows a complete attitude of contempt towards the very idea of ever working with Middle Eastern nations as equals. It's fucking disgusting.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 19:34 
Rude Belittler

Personally, I go with 'hey, politician type dudes, if one Private can supply Wikileaks with all this information, imagine what the moles you have higher up are supplying to their handlers.'

As much as Anonymous are a bunch of pricks, sometimes you just have to applaud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 19:50 

Crasmas Pudding wrote:
When it's US companies turning local ten year old boys into whores in the Middle East, I'm not convinced we do have more to worry about.
Wait, what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 19:56 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

http://morallowground.com/2010/12/03/wi ... ncing-boy/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 19:58 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Another example of the success of making Assange the story rather than the content of the leaks.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:12 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Crasmas Pudding wrote:
Another example of the success of making Assange the story rather than the content of the leaks.

:this:

I agree that diplomats etc. need to be able to speak their minds, but, y'know, the people holding the data should have been more bloody careful, and secondly, the reaction of a lot of government figures to this is fucking pathetic. Both in terms of trying to deflect attention onto this one person (as though nobody will pop up to replace him now that it's clear that the US government hates it - just like with flag burning, their massively childish reaction has merely guaranteed that there will now be ten times as much interest in doing what people might otherwise have got bored of doing), and in terms of sheer childish whining. How about holding your hands up and admitting you were caught, guys? Every other politician in the world knows they have their embarassing secrets too,a nd you can't deny what's already out there. Might as well take the hit and learn a lesson instead of invoking TRRRRRSM laws and calling for executions.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 15:26 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

This is all getting extremely weird. The primary accuser in the rape case has now apparently completely stopped co-operating with the Swedish authorities and gone off to help out relations in the Middle East, decamping to the Palestinian Territories. Recent tweets suggest she in fact is supporting Assange and Wikileaks in all this.

Quote:
"MasterCard, Visa and PayPal -- belt them now!"

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/12/assa ... ng-police/

So the Swedish have brought no charges, and if the above is true are unlikely to. The US are pursuing extradition on unspecified charges (I suspect they've not written them yet), against an Australian citizen who wasn't in the US when these activities occurred. And Assange is sitting in Wandsworth prison after being denied bail. What on earth is going on?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 15:28 
INFINITE POWAH

Fucking students.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 15:31 
Unpossible!

Wait, hang on. Thousands of people have downloaded an encrypted file with more stuffs in it, but no-one can yet open it, because the decryption key hasn't been found, right?

Does this remind anyone of anything that happened recently?

And this Swedish fella... hasn't broken any laws at all? And even if he was a perv, so what? I'm not entirely sure why anyone can hold him at all. Is he now classed as a TRRZT?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 15:32 
INFINITE POWAH

DavPaz wrote:
Wait, hang on. Thousands of people have downloaded an encrypted file with more stuffs in it, but no-one can yet open it, because the decryption key hasn't been found, right?

Does this remind anyone of anything that happened recently?

You're not talking about me and that fake episode 6 of Walking Dead, are you?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 15:33 
Unpossible!

I haven't read the Walking Dead thread so as to avoid spoilz, but did I miss a belmer?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 15:33 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It's not that it hasn't been found, it hasn't been released. The encryption is effectively unbreakable, and people at Wikileaks have the key to release as and when they wish.

He may have broken Swedish rape laws. He may have broken some laws the US are hurredly writing. But no charges have been filed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 15:34 

Crasmas Pudding wrote:
It's not that it hasn't been found, it hasn't been released. The encryption is effectively unbreakable, and people at Wikileaks have the key to release as and when they wish.
Note to mention the file is intriguingly called "insurance.aes256" and big enough to store all the leaks we know wikileaks have about twice over.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 15:35 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Yep. Could be incredibly damaging and juicy stuff, could be a massive fuck-off bluff. If the latter, it's exceedingly clever.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 15:36 
INFINITE POWAH

Crasmas Pudding wrote:
But no charges have been filed.

I think they have been - you can't issue a valid EAW without charges having been made in the requesting jurisdiction.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 15:37 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

According to his lawyer:

Quote:
Assange's lawyer, renowned British advocate Mark Stephens, told CBS News Thursday that prosecutor Marianne Ny is staging a "show trial," in reference to the politically motivated prosecutions of the Stalin-era Soviet Union.

Stephens said not only have formal charges not been filed against Assange, but the prosecution has failed to provide him with any documentation relating to the investigation. As a result, he says it's impossible for him to begin crafting a defense.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 15:40 
INFINITE POWAH

Crasmas Pudding wrote:
According to his lawyer:

Quote:
Assange's lawyer, renowned British advocate Mark Stephens, told CBS News Thursday that prosecutor Marianne Ny is staging a "show trial," in reference to the politically motivated prosecutions of the Stalin-era Soviet Union.

Stephens said not only have formal charges not been filed against Assange, but the prosecution has failed to provide him with any documentation relating to the investigation. As a result, he says it's impossible for him to begin crafting a defense.

Presuming that quote is not from before the day he got arrested - I had thought they'd issued charges and the EAW that day?

Hang on - I'm pretty sure I'm right. The reports on the court day talk about the EAW referring to four charges the Swedish prosecutor had made. I'm very sure I heard that Stephens quote from a few days beforehand.

If it was an invalid EAW (which it would be were there no formal charges made in Sweden) the judge would have chucked it out.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 15:41 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

I read a few US pundits claim he broke same US WWI Espionage Act, but that looked pretty flaky, to be honest. The guy that passed the details to him almost certainly broke some laws, but he was in the army and is probably under laws and regulations. A US colonel was recently convicted of "unauthorized disclosure of classified information" which might be roughly parallel, and eneded up with 10 months house arrest.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 15:45 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

The article dates that quote as yesterday, so he was most certainly arrested at that point. I can't really tell from the sources available.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 15:46 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Squirt wrote:
A US colonel was recently convicted of "unauthorized disclosure of classified information" which might be roughly parallel, and eneded up with 10 months house arrest.

That US Colonel would have signed an agreement covering his access to that information though and covering penalties for disclosure. Wikileaks never did, and Assange isn't even a US citizen, let alone a member of the US military.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 15:49 
INFINITE POWAH

Crasmas Pudding wrote:
The article dates that quote as yesterday, so he was most certainly arrested at that point. I can't really tell from the sources available.

It sounds as if youre right.

If that's the case, what the fuck was the judge doing remanding him in custody when there's no valid EAW and therefore no basis for an extradition hearing?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 15:50 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

True! So Assange isn't even as guilty as a guy who got 10 months house arrest, assuming he's guilty at all! He should probably just go to the US and let them charge him - I'd be astounded if they could get anything to stick.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 15:51 
INFINITE POWAH

Squirt wrote:
True! So Assange isn't even as guilty as a guy who got 10 months house arrest, assuming he's guilty at all! He should probably just go to the US and let them charge him - I'd be astounded if they could get anything to stick.

If he steps foot in the US he'll end up in Gitmo, real laws bedamned.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 15:51 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

If that's the case, what the fuck was the judge doing remanding him in custody when there's no valid EAW and therefore no basis for an extradition hearing?

Running around trying to work out how quadri-partite internation law works, I suspect.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 15:53 
INFINITE POWAH

Crasmas Pudding wrote:

Running around trying to work out how quadri-partite internation law works, I suspect.

It wasn't, though. It was a straight request from Sweden to UK for an extradition under an EAW.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 15:54 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

But he's not being extradited. They asked him if he would consent to extradition, and he said no.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 15:54 

Squirt wrote:
He should probably just go to the US and let them charge him
I initially rejected this as a daft idea, but then if you think about the last six weeks it's more or less proven that Assange has the biggest pair of balls on the planet. So, maybe he will.

Ooh, just remembered where I stole that from, this piece by Scott Adams from a few days ago: http://dilbert.com/blog/entry/sweden/
Quote:
Here's a list of three things that you are unlikely to do, at least in this order:

1. Watch a Swedish movie called The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
2. Read about the Swedish sex charges against Julian Assange
3. Book a vacation to Sweden

I am always amused by the strange impact of unintended consequences. Julian Assange simply wanted to release some embarrassing information, have hot sex with a Swedish babe then have hot sex with an acquaintance of that same babe one day later. That's just one example of why the Swedish language has 400 words that all mean "and your cute friend is next."

But things didn't turn out as Assange hoped. The unintended consequence of his actions is that he managed to make Sweden look like a country that's governed by congenital idiots and populated with nothing but crazy sluts and lawyers. And don't get me started about the quality of their condoms.

To be fair, I don't know if Assange's alleged broken condom is because the product was defective. We have good evidence that Assange has the world's biggest set of nuts, so assuming some degree of proportionality, he'd put a strain on any brand of condom that didn't have rebar ribs.

Assange had a lot of help making Sweden look like the last place on Earth that you would want to take your penis. The aforementioned megahit movie, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, makes the place look like a snow-filled ass cave that Jeffrey Dahmer lived in before he got a raise. (It's a good movie otherwise.)

If you haven't read any background about the so-called rape charges against Assange, you really should. Apparently Swedish laws are unique. If you have a penis, you're half a rapist before you even get through customs. And if your condom breaks, that's jail time. What I'm saying is that the Club Med in Sweden is a nervous place.

I was having a hard time making up my mind about Assange. On one hand, he might be hurting the interests of my country and putting people in danger. Death to him! On the other hand, a little extra government transparency might prevent more problems than it causes. Hero! It was a toss-up. Then Sweden turned Assange from a man-whore publicity hound into Gandhi. Advantage: Assange.

The one thing I know for sure is that I'm a fan of the hackers who are dispensing vigilante justice. Here's another unintended consequence: The hackers could end up organizing over this issue and ultimately forming a shadow government of their own, if they haven't already. I welcome my hacker overlords.

Prediction: The governments of the world can't let Assange become a martyr. He would be too powerful. They'll pressure Sweden to release him on some sort of technicality.

(I started out quoting just part of it, but dammit, it's all fried gold.)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 15:56 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Quote:
We have good evidence that Assange has the world's biggest set of nuts, so assuming some degree of proportionality, he'd put a strain on any brand of condom that didn't have rebar ribs

:DD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 15:58 

Crasmas Pudding wrote:
:DD
I KNO RITE?!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 16:02 
INFINITE POWAH

Crasmas Pudding wrote:
But he's not being extradited.

Not yet, no - the hearing was in relation to an extradition. They don't get to ask him to turn up at court for no reason. The reason is the EAW. If the EAW is invalid the result of the hearing should be "fuck off Sweden"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 16:03 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Ah right - so they asked him to go voluntarily to save bothering with a hearing. Gotcha.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 16:05 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Maybe we can arrange some sort of swap with them - We send over Assange, they send back the Swedish Bikini Team.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 16:05 
INFINITE POWAH

Crasmas Pudding wrote:
Ah right - so they asked him to go voluntarily to save bothering with a hearing. Gotcha.

Yup. As if anyone ever says "yeah, ok".

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 16:32 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Crasmas Pudding wrote:

So if he hasn't been charged with anything in the UK, does that mean if the extradition request is rejected, he's free to go?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 16:37 
INFINITE POWAH

Squirt wrote:
Crasmas Pudding wrote:

So if he hasn't been charged with anything in the UK, does that mean if the extradition request is rejected, he's free to go?

Yup. He's not accused of anything here.

It's not immediately obvious on what basis the judge has had him remanded in custody, under the circumstances. I'm sure legal keyboard warrior MaliA may be able to tell us.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 16:57 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

ALSO!

Fit Sarah Beeny?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 16:59 
Unpossible!

Crasmas Pudding wrote:
Fit Sarah Beeny?

Nah, she takes a bigger collar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 16:59 

I'd leak her wiki.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 17:04 
INFINITE POWAH

I'm not sure she's hot enough to put up with being prosecuted for rape afterwards.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 17:06 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Don't shag her mate the next day then.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 17:06 

Crasmas Pudding wrote:
Wise words for all Beexers currently living in Sweden, there.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 17:07 
baron of techno

Crasmas Pudding wrote:
her mate

Pic pls.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 18:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Nadolig wrote:
Crasmas Pudding wrote:
Wise words for all Beexers currently living in Sweden, there.

Like who?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 18:15 
INFINITE POWAH

"when she said did I fancy joining her for some midnight fishing I thought she meant something else, officer"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 18:28 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

"Everything was going fine until the hook wen't through the condom..."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 18:56 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Heh.

http://www.ding.net/wikileaks/234867.txt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 18:59 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Also, looks like the US are going for Espionage as the charge. Interesting choice, as it's not covered under their extradition treaties with either us or Sweden.

Reply to topic  [ 372 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next