Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose UK TV thread
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 18:17 

Just watched the first episode of BBC2's gritty reboot of Lord Clarke's famous 'Civilisation'.

The photography was stunning and the artifacts were fascinating, but the opening episode just didn't really hang together for me. It was more like an extended show-and-tell of cool stuff from history rather than an attempt to put them into wider argument about the nature of things.

I'll probably keep watching, especially as episode two has Mary Beard in it, but it's not as promising an opening as I was expecting.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 18:46 

It’s been absolutely panned in every review I’ve read. We watched the first episode last night, and though, yes, it does weave about quite a bit, and I think we jumped about 40,000 years forwards at one point, it is full of pretty things, and I like pretty things. I saw a whole collection of the fertility goddesses at the British Museum once and they absolutely hit me hard as just something so POWERFUL. I can’t explsin it, but I think it must have been a similar surge of feeling something meaningful that people sense when they think they e had a religious experience.

We’ll stick with it too, despite the clumsiness. I don’t think it deserves the absolute panning it’s getting. I love the Kenneth Clarke original, but it’s certsinly problematic from its single western male viewpoint, especially in light of being a colonial power through much of the history it was covering in art.

I do miss the long wandering shots of nothing whilst Clarke gets completely comfortable in his seat or adjusts his trousers in silence like an old school teacher expecting you to wait in silent reverence that he has arrived.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 22:34 

I missed it when it was first shown last year, but BBC4's 'Timewatch Guide' to the British Empire is a good look at how attitudes to imperalism as portrayed on TV have changed over the years.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:40 

Mimi wrote:
It’s been absolutely panned in every review I’ve read. We watched the first episode last night, and though, yes, it does weave about quite a bit, and I think we jumped about 40,000 years forwards at one point, it is full of pretty things, and I like pretty things.

I watched the second one yesterday over the Iplayer and really enjoyed it. Unlike the opener there was definitely more of an argument and thread to the 'essay'. Mary Beard does poke a little bit of fun at Lord Clarke in it, but that's good. Discussions about art should be a conversation.

Quote:
I saw a whole collection of the fertility goddesses at the British Museum once and they absolutely hit me hard as just something so POWERFUL. I can’t explsin it, but I think it must have been a similar surge of feeling something meaningful that people sense when they think they e had a religious experience.

I love it when that happens. My guilty secret is that I tend to find galleries boring (music and architecture are always more my thing), but once I realised it was better to go around aimlessly and find something that grabs you, rather than dutifully looking at each picture in each room and reading all the labels, I started to get a heck of a lot more out of these trips.

I remember being really grabbed in the Louvre by a large mosaic from the court of King Darius. Saw the Mona Lisa from a distance, as the crowds were more interesting than the portrait. Wasn't expecting to be so blown away by the 'Raft of the Medusa', given that I've seen it in prints many times and it's a key part of a Julian Barnes book, but hey, I was.

I must dig out my 'Ascent of Man' DVDs and re-watch that, thinking about it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:12 
Excellent Painter

Kern wrote:
Mimi wrote:
It’s been absolutely panned in every review I’ve read. We watched the first episode last night, and though, yes, it does weave about quite a bit, and I think we jumped about 40,000 years forwards at one point, it is full of pretty things, and I like pretty things.

I watched the second one yesterday over the Iplayer and really enjoyed it. Unlike the opener there was definitely more of an argument and thread to the 'essay'. Mary Beard does poke a little bit of fun at Lord Clarke in it, but that's good. Discussions about art should be a conversation.

Quote:
I saw a whole collection of the fertility goddesses at the British Museum once and they absolutely hit me hard as just something so POWERFUL. I can’t explsin it, but I think it must have been a similar surge of feeling something meaningful that people sense when they think they e had a religious experience.

I love it when that happens. My guilty secret is that I tend to find galleries boring (music and architecture are always more my thing), but once I realised it was better to go around aimlessly and find something that grabs you, rather than dutifully looking at each picture in each room and reading all the labels, I started to get a heck of a lot more out of these trips.

I remember being really grabbed in the Louvre by a large mosaic from the court of King Darius. Saw the Mona Lisa from a distance, as the crowds were more interesting than the portrait. Wasn't expecting to be so blown away by the 'Raft of the Medusa', given that I've seen it in prints many times and it's a key part of a Julian Barnes book, but hey, I was.

I must dig out my 'Ascent of Man' DVDs and re-watch that, thinking about it.

I agree with your sensibility. Good art should have a visceral reaction and I mosey around most exhibitions waiting for something to chime in this way. I go to a lot of exhibitions and I'm a member of the Tate. A lot of exhibitions in my view are ruined by tenuous, sometimes nebulous curation. Though some fun can be had reading between the lines of what the curator notes say and what I think.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:26 
Unpossible!

DBSnappa wrote:
Good art should have a visceral reaction

Indeed. I was with the kids in Port Sunlight over half-term and this sculpture entranced me...
Attachment:
IMG_20180219_142623.jpg

It was stunning. I think I stood in front of her for about 10 minutes.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:26 
Unpossible!

Woah, that's big.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:28 
Paws for thought

DavPaz wrote:
Woah, that's big.

Now you know how other people feel.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:02 

Mr Dave wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Woah, that's big.

Now you know how other people feel.

:D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 23:34 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

https://twitter.com/LegionFX/status/971 ... 48/video/1

April 3rd for the new season - cannot wait !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:47 
Excellent Member

zaphod79 wrote:
https://twitter.com/LegionFX/status/971085523329589248/video/1

April 3rd for the new season - cannot wait !

Yeeeessssssss!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 16:25 
Unpossible!

Did anyone see that Geordie fella serve up a fucking Chicken Parmo on Masterchef last night? Ballsy move!

The parmos I used to have in my uni days were the size of pizza box and covered in chips and garlic sauce. A long, long way from the fancy fare normally served up on Masterchef. Fucking delicious when drunk and possibly deadly for those with weak constitutions.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 16:45 

I don’t know what a chicken parmigiana is, so I googled it. I still can’t tell from Hoohle image search, but look at this weird little suggested image search doodah! I have never seen that.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 16:50 
Unpossible!

Take a chicken breast, hammer it flat, coat it in breadcrumbs and deep fry. Serve with bechamel sauce and lashings of cheddar cheese. Sides include 'chippy' chips, 'chippy' salad and kebab meat.

Best served at 3am on Linthorpe Road, Middlesbrough.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 16:59 

It's schnitzel, but with chicken instead of the more Germanic veal or pork. It's not like "thin cutlet of meat, breaded and fried" is a particularly obscure culinary concept. I've made chicken parmigiana (usually served with spaghetti and marinara sauce, it's an Italian-American staple) a number of times. BBC Good Food has recipes: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/126 ... parmigiana

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 17:03 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

If parmo is always with bechamel that suggests it's distinct from the US version

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 17:07 

Cras wrote:
If parmo is always with bechamel that suggests it's distinct from the US version

I'd argue that's only a minor variation, given the Americans melt mozzarella over it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 17:07 
Unpossible!

Yeah, it was introduced to the North East by an Italian immigrant. The elegant origins have been hammered and deep fried out of it long, long ago.

I was very surprised that none of the chef judges or hosts had heard of it, even in it's original form.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 17:14 

DavPaz wrote:
I was very surprised that none of the chef judges or hosts had heard of it, even in it's original form.

Strongly suspect they were pretending to be shocked because they thought it would make better TV.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 17:17 
Unpossible!

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Strongly suspect they were pretending to be shocked because they thought it would make better TV.

You really think someone would do that? Go on TV and lie to the British public? Shame on you

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 17:23 
Gogmagog

DavPaz wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

You really think someone would do that? Go on TV and lie to the British public? Shame on you

NOT FORGIVING THEY SWAPPED THE DOGS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 17:46 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Cras wrote:

I'd argue that's only a minor variation, given the Americans melt mozzarella over it.

Minor variation? Serve me a lasagne made with ricotta instead of bechamel and let's see how minor the damage is.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 17:50 
Hibernating Druid

I reckon you'd damage both. Heavily.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 17:54 

Cras wrote:
Minor variation? Serve me a lasagne made with ricotta instead of bechamel and let's see how minor the damage is.

Mozzarella > ricotta though.

I recently discovered that ricotta in lasagne is an Italian thing, and not an American blasphemy as I thought.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 18:57 
Excellent Painter

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Cras wrote:

Mozzarella > ricotta though.

I recently discovered that ricotta in lasagne is an Italian thing, and not an American blasphemy as I thought.

I’d like to imagine there are varieties of ricotta, some of which are far creamier than the so tart all it’s missing is a vicar as a partner in crime stuff you normally come across. Also, imagine Lasagne with cucina mozzarella!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:14 

We watched the first two episodes of The End Of The F***ing World on Netflix. 20 minutes long because it’s channel 4, so were probably an hour long with adverts. It’s a bit like Bates Motel and Skins mashed together. I think the 20 minute episodes could be about 7-8 minutes long if you took out all of the long shots of James and Alyssa sitting awkwardly side by side staring straight ahead. The rest is 100% swearing. The Vision is in it as James’ dad. This concludes my review.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:20 
UltraMod

Mimi wrote:
We watched the first two episodes of The End Of The F***ing World on Netflix. 20 minutes long because it’s channel 4, so were probably an hour long with adverts. It’s a bit like Bates Motel and Skins mashed together. I think the 20 minute episodes could be about 7-8 minutes long if you took out all of the long shots of James and Alyssa sitting awkwardly side by side staring straight ahead. The rest is 100% swearing. The Vision is in it as James’ dad. This concludes my review.

It's brilliant.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 16:23 
Sleepyhead

I have loved the first two episodes of the show but not got round to watching the rest.

Great soundtrack too.

And the lead character looks just like Declan McKenna.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 21:10 

I was enjoying the third episode of 'Civilisations' with Simon Schama talking about landscape painting, but obviously there was something annoying about his odd pronunciation of certain words because about halfway through my TV set went bang, the house lights dimmed, and it's now buggered. Gah.

The inclusion of the sphinx in the opening sequence makes me think of Cunk's 'Moments of Wonder', which probably wasn't the intention.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 14:44 

Just watched the first episode of BBC Northern Ireland's 'Soft Border Patrol', a fly-on-the-wall documentary about the brave men and women protecting the border between the UK and the EU in our happy Brexit future.

It's a very charming show in the tradition of highlighting the absurdities of petty officials' working lives. The cast are very likeable, and portrayed as believing they are making a difference. In the one I saw, there were several very good scenarioes, of which my favourite being the lady worried about Ebola entering Ulster. Definitely going to keep watching.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 21:55 

Two thirds of the way through 'Civilisations' and I'm now painfully aware that I was so wrong about it in my initial post. It's been some of the best and most thought-provoking telly I've seen this year.

I've just finished David Olusoga's episode on what happens to art when cultures meet. He picks up on details which are, now they're explained, so obvious but I wouldn't have noticed had I just seen the pieces myself.

I still have some gripes: there's an overuse of clever-clever soft-focus for all but the main feature of an establishing shot, and the camera isn't lingering on the works nearly half as long enough to enjoy them fully, but yeah, it's a worthy sequel.

I'm watching it in parallel with a rewatch of the original and it's also quite fun to see where the programmes deliberately collide with Timelord Clark's original, such as over iconclasm in Ely Catherdal which Mary Beard has a very different take on.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 22:22 

I completely forgot we were about four episodes into this!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 22:49 

I'm now taking the opening episode as an extended trailer. I've not rewatched it yet - I'll wait until I've finished and let things simmer, but I don't think it's as good a start as the scary Viking ship in the original which is still horrifying when you're not expecting it (and always reminds me of 'The Curse of Fenric' with the 7th Doctor).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:40 

Russell watched the opening of the original about seven times and fell asleep every single viewing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:42 
Awesome
Yes

Mimi wrote:
Russell watched the opening of the original about seven times and fell asleep every single viewing.

His voice is so soothing. I do know all about the mother hanging out the window as the ship goes down the Seine though, as it's now emblazoned on my subconsciousness.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 21:21 

This guy is my new hero. His eyebrows should have their own show. Today he sung a three minute song about diarrhoea and was so happy throughout that it made you want to have a tummy bug just so you could catch that vibe.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 22:25 
Unpossible!

Be happy! Be healthy! And get well soon!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:28 

He’s awesome. I’ve only just seen it yesterday, but I am already in love with the happiest Doctor Eyebrows ever.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:12 
Hibernating Druid

I miss Throughsilver.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:14 

Zardoz wrote:
I miss Throughsilver.

I almost said I thought Throughsilver had a new gig but wasn’t entirely sure I wasn’t misremembering what he looked like.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:18 
Unpossible!

Stupid Sexy Thrusilver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 22:55 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Watch ‘Kiss me first.’

It might be dead good.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 14:29 
Gogmagog

Vikings is really good. Sort of. It is a bit rubbish, but I keep watching it. There is a lady who the other ladies call Slagatha so she ignores them and their pettiness because she is right fit and likes to have a tear up with the lads braining monks and lootin' gold. A man builds boats and bops priests on the noggin because taking your only shipwright to war is fine. They shout "Shield wall!". A lot. Having a ruck? SHIELD WALL! bit outnumbered? SHIELD WALL! Don't fancy cooking and want a cheeky Nandos? SHIELD WALL! Nobody ages, but the kids, and fjords are warm enough to swum naked in. Brilliant. On amazon prome. SHIELD WALL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 14:46 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

MaliA wrote:
Vikings is really good. Sort of. It is a bit rubbish, but I keep watching it.

:this:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 14:55 
Gogmagog

TheVision wrote:
MaliA wrote:

SHIELD WALL!
EXCHANGE HOSTAGES!
SHIELD WALL!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 15:10 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Like Two Broke Girls?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 15:14 
Noob as of 6/8/10

MaliA wrote:
TheVision wrote:
MaliA wrote:

SHIELD WALL!
EXCHANGE HOSTAGES!
SHIELD WALL!

QUERY CAR INSURANCE RENEWAL QUOTE! (Q.V. GAS GUZZLING MONEY PITS)
SHEILD WALL!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 19:55 

Cunk on Britain has started. I am in awe of (a) the writing (b) Diane Morgan’s performance and (c) the guests who somehow make it through far enough without cracking up that they get usable footage.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 20:35 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Cunk on Britain has started. I am in awe of (a) the writing (b) Diane Morgan’s performance and (c) the guests who somehow make it through far enough without cracking up that they get usable footage.

Indeed. It’s a bit like Morecambe and Wise getting all those respected actors to have the piss taken out of them, only this is co-written by Charlie Brooker, which can only be a good thing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 21:52 

I found the interviews to be the weakest part of Cunk. The specialists just weren’t adequate straight men/women, leaving Cunk to carry the burden of the skits.

The rest was pretty funny however.

Reply to topic  [ 2346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 47  Next