Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose UK TV thread
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 13:28 
UltraMod

DavPaz wrote:
Lister fell in love with a vending machine

Sounds like quality content

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 14:07 
Unpossible!

That was the last straw for me

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 14:43 
Soopah red DS

It was the last, um, can for me.

See? No comedy in the vending machine connection.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:24 

As part of their morale-boosting efforts in this time of need, starting on Monday BBC4 are showing Bob Ross at 19:00 daily.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 23:28 
Sleepyhead

Mr Chonks wrote:
I’ve not watched any since the fourth-wall-breaking Dave special. Have I missed anything good?

That was my stopping off point too. Any time the writer(s) of something write themselves into the show, even if it’s not actually ‘them’, it just doesn’t work for me at all and is clearly just a massive ego trip. Even when one of my favourite authors did it (Douglas Coupland) it came off as crap.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:06 

BBC 4: Museums in Quarantine

A simple idea, done well. With everything shut, send a camera crew and a knowledgeable presenter around a deserted gallery to show us what we're missing. Episode 1 is Alastair Sooke's look round a Warhol exhibition at the Tate. I've liked Sooke's earlier work, and he presents a fresh take on some classic images that to be honest I'd always found rather humdrum. He also plays up to the moment we're in, for who would have thought that shots of consumer goods in an empty gallery would be so evocatively timely! And the choice of final work, even though he places it in the context of its own time, is more or less completely appropriate and powerful.

A minor criticism is that there might be too many shots of the presenter rather than the art, which in a half-hour show feels frustrating especially as it could be done in voiceover whilst showing us the picture, but this is something that annoys me in all art shows.

The show works because it's knowingly of its moment, with specific framing of the gallery bookending it and even a date stamp. Unlike 'Civilisation' it isn't going to be as effective in say 50 years, but for now, at this strange point in time, it's the first proper reflection of what we're going through I've come across.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:39 

Thought the Tate episode has been the weakest so far. Not for the choice of art or length of time the camera spent on each piece, but the commentary was a little bit too "Britain can take this" rather than the more personal take and response of the previous two episodes. Also loses marks for continued merging of England and Britain. Watch this one with an alternative choice of soundtrack, perhaps Haydn. Final one of the four tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 13:35 
Noob as of 6/8/10

I'm addicted to Normal People, old romantic softy that I am. I thought it was a bit slow at first, and struggled a bit with the Irish accents, but subtitles solved that. But then I got caught up in 'what happens next' and well meaning actions backfiring, to which I can relate, so I've had to dip into iPlayer and am already up to episode 5. Beautifully shot, well acted and surprising.

Plenty of drama already, but no noisy disagreements yet, the teen angst has been very quiet. I'm wondering if we'll ever find out why Marianne is continually referred to as 'vulnerable,' but after 5 episodes it's still unclear.

I'm going to have to binge a bit more tonight.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 13:43 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Warhead wrote:
I'm addicted to Normal People, old romantic softy that I am. I thought it was a bit slow at first, and struggled a bit with the Irish accents, but subtitles solved that. But then I got caught up in 'what happens next' and well meaning actions backfiring, to which I can relate, so I've had to dip into iPlayer and am already up to episode 5. Beautifully shot, well acted and surprising.

Plenty of drama already, but no noisy disagreements yet, the teen angst has been very quiet. I'm wondering if we'll ever find out why Marianne is continually referred to as 'vulnerable,' but after 5 episodes it's still unclear.

I'm going to have to binge a bit more tonight.

Well, that was brilliant. I ended up going through all 12 episodes over 3 nights, although that's not as difficult as it sounds, because they're only 30 minutes long.

I got completely drawn in to the on/off relationship between the two main characters, and at times wanted to bang their heads together and tell them to JUST FUCKING TELL EACH OTHER WHAT YOU'RE ACTUALLY THINKING. TAKE A RISK, FOR FUCK'S SAKE, THE OUTCOME COULDN'T BE WORSE THAN WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU PUSSYFOOT AROUND EACH OTHER. And that's because I found them to be very credible characters, each with their flaws and fears.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 16:32 
Bad Girl

Season 3 of Killing Eve is much betterer than the meh season 2. Much. Problem is, they always fluff the last couple of episodes which put a dampener on the series. Let’s see if they fuck this up.

Mind you, I like killing off key characters but this feels much less gruesome than the first series. I demand my serial killer kills to shock me, or at least make a bit of a mess.

Still, very good so far though, so if you loved S1 but struggled with S2 yet still enjoyed the characters then S3 might pull you back in.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 18:32 
Excellent Member

Conversely I'm struggling with S3 because it just seems to be a load of unconnected fluff. Well, 'unconnected' is perhaps a bit harsh; but it certainly doesn't feel very coherent with too many characters and not enough time spent fleshing out plot points. Villanelle herself is still endlessly entertaining of course and Caroline's bone-dry brusqueness ensures she steals every scene she's in but I'd struggle to tell you why half the rest of the cast were there or what they were even attempting to do at any given point. There's a
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Flash drive
with some
bank accounts
and somehow one of them spells out
something about a panda
(assuming no one had at any point
made even a slight casual change to a nearby fucking Rubik's cube
)? Or something? I just can't find it in myself to give a shit.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 20:05 
Bad Girl

Not to be glib but everything you’ve separated into individual spoilers relates to one thing: young lad was investigating the 12.

His investigation is on his flash drive and it’s contents leads to the accountant.

It’s not exactly hard to follow and the cube stuff was “solved” in a single (thankfully) brief scene where they basically go “here’s what he’s been looking at.” Yeah it’s a maguffin and has it been poured over like a Dan Brown novel I’d have been annoyed but it’s basically over and done in 60 seconds.

The “other characters” are basically Eve and Boris (or whatever his name is). Not sure who else you’re keeping track of? Eve is following the investigation while Boris’ motivations have yet to be revealed, as is the fashion.

The actor who plays Eve has been utterly tremendous as usual and the obsessive serial killer love story has been ditched, at least on her side. Her view of the roof thing and her failed marriage story has been heartbreaking to watch, especially how the latest episode ended. I really felt for her. Actually the following of characters in the latest episode was done really well. I thought it was time they tried something new and the back and forth in time and perspective kept it fresh and interesting.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 21:41 
Hibernating Druid

Should have left it. This season is just fluff to me so far.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 21:55 

Been watching Gangs of London this week. Some pretty ropey acting but its a lot of fun. Punch-ups, shoot-outs and other gory, OFCOM-baiting violence.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:44 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Zardoz wrote:
Should have left it. This season is just fluff to me so far.

I don't know what to do now. I gave up on S2 after episode 1 was such a mess, but I guess I'll have to watch it all so I have continuity for S3.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:52 
Noob as of 6/8/10

I'm enjoying the new Van Der Valk more than the ancient one. I always thought Barry Foster was an irritating twat with no redeeming features, both in the series and IRL, but I still did watch al the episodes back in the 70s. But I like Mark Warren in the new one, he's got a great Paddington Hard Stare he inflicts on suspects when he knows they're bullshitting him.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 7:16 

I came across a whole stash of Louis Theroux documentaries whilst flicking through IPlayer last night. I decided to watch one from 1997 on survivalists for nostaligic purposes. I'll probably be dipping in and out of the others over the next few weeks.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 7:38 

His autobiography is worth a read/listen if you like his films. Lots of interesting background to the documentaries.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:20 

The rumour mill is buzzing with threats to BBC 4.

Althought I tend to rely on Iplayer, most of my linear viewing is on BBC 4 , and often it's by seeing a programme in the listings that I become aware of them. Going online only like BBC3 will only hide it. I don't like the idea that it's just for old people. It's one of the most electic channels in what it puts out. I've never thought of it as a niche channel, but as the televisual accompaniment to Radios 3 and 4. Real shame that its budget and level of new programming has been tumbling in recent years.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:56 

Charlie Brooker's Antiviral Wipe

This was the tonic we needed. So great to see him, Cunk, and Shitpeas back on the screen. Laughed my head off. Real shame it'll take another world crisis for the next one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 23:17 
Bad Girl

Turns out season 3 of Killing Eve was actually a bit crap. A shit finale and a lack of...chemistry between the lead ladies. The finale was so bad that after it had ended I was sat there thinking “what was the point of that season?” It seemed to be going somewhere and then the shock revelation just falls completely fucking flat. Flat as that lad who “fell” off the roof. Ole whatsherface was tore up at Kenny’s death and the failure of her marriage; then the episode where whatshisface get stabbed in the neck was fucking ace but a mere couple of episodes later and he’s completely forgotten and she’s fawning over villianbeau. Like season 2 it was a bag of steaming shit in a nice package. They really dropped the ball - no more of Killing Eve thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 0:57 
Hibernating Druid

Yeah, shite. Shame.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 15:52 
Noob as of 6/8/10

That's a relief. I won't have to watch S2 now in order to follow the plot of S3 .... If I ever got around to it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 16:26 
Prince of Fops

My thoughts on Killing Eve:

- The show has lacked a purpose since the end of S1.
- At its worst it feels like vignettes strung together by a barely comprehensible plot.
- Eve has always been a weak character whose behaviour is more likely to annoy than build empathy.

That said, it's still colossally entertaining and I've enjoyed S3 a huge amount. There's just a huge energy that carries the whole thing, even if it's not carrying it somewhere terribly meaningful.

As such: recommended*.

*Disclaimer: I haven't watched the final episode of S3 yet, still have that one to go.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 23:03 
Prince of Fops

Finished killing eve tonight.

Last episode was poor, the ending entirely unsatisfactory. Sat is right, zero chemistry between the leading ladies, on which the ending lives or dies. There's still mxuh to love, from the stern MI6 lady to villanelle and her outfits, but would happy if it went no further.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 23:11 
Prince of Fops

Finally, in conclusion. Killing Eve: I wish they did.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 15:36 
Excellent Painter

That Dispatches on C4 last night is quite the thing. Give it a watch. It's worth it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 13:32 
Prince of Fops

It's been posted about here before, but this week I've been watching Giri/Haji, a crime drama spanning London and Tokyo.

Started watching it months ago, and ditched it after two episodes. I recall finding it relatively incomprehensible.

Which, as it turns out, is partly the point, as the full picture reveals itself a few episodes in. In terms of cinematography it's one of the most striking things I've seen in a while, definitely up there with Better Call Saul or Mr Robot.

It also features Will Sharpe, writer, director and actor of the immense Flowers. Highly recommended. It's no longer on iPlayer now, but can be found on Netflix.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:00 
Unpossible!

Staged is worth a watch on the iPlayer. David Tennant and Michael Sheen trying to rehearse a play over Skype. It's gentle comedy, really funny and doesn't stick around too long with 6 episodes of about 20 minutes each. Give it a go.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:57 

BBC 4:Art of Persia

Some stunning shots of ancient building and artifacts. I particuarly liked the mix of myth and history and how they are related in Iranian self-identity. Perhaps a little too much repetition of what's coming up but not as bad as some. An occasional use of soft-focus to blur out most of an artificat other than what's being discussed was irritating. - I want to see the stuff!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 22:35 

BBC 4: The Hidden Wilds of the Motorway

Charming and sometimes poetical look at the wildlife lurking beside or beneath the M25. It's one of those documentaries that makes me think about how much I don't really know about life's most familiar things.
Pour a nice glass of your favourite tipple, sit back, and enjoy an alternative circumnavigation of the metropolis.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 22:05 

BBC 2: Horizon: Pluto - back from the dead

Absolutely stunning review of findings from the New Horizons probe and what it's discovered about everyone's famous ex-planet .

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 22:09 

Kern wrote:
BBC 2: Horizon: Pluto - back from the dead

Absolutely stunning review of findings from the New Horizons probe and what it's discovered about everyone's famous ex-planet .

Oh cool, I'll get on that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:43 
Hello Hello Hello

I note this has been mentioned earlier in the thread (over a year ago), but WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS is flipping fantastic.

Me and Mrs Hearthly (Abeille) are piling through Season One and finding it highly amusing.

It's one of those programmes where even just the premise is funny. The mere idea of slightly rubbish vampires living in Staten Island and they can't be bothered to try and take over the world like they were told to 200 years ago when they travelled over to the States, and then their boss turns up and asks them why they haven't made more progress with dominion.

It's on iPlayer so dead easy to give it a go, and the episodes are super compact as well, 23 minutes each or thereabouts.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:32 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
I note this has been mentioned earlier in the thread (over a year ago), but WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS is flipping fantastic.

Me and Mrs Hearthly (Abeille) are piling through Season One and finding it highly amusing.

It's one of those programmes where even just the premise is funny. The mere idea of slightly rubbish vampires living in Staten Island and they can't be bothered to try and take over the world like they were told to 200 years ago when they travelled over to the States, and then their boss turns up and asks them why they haven't made more progress with dominion.

It's on iPlayer so dead easy to give it a go, and the episodes are super compact as well, 23 minutes each or thereabouts.

Season 2 was fucking incredible as well. Also: the original film, if you haven't seen it yet. Also: the spin-off series 'Wellington Paranormal'.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 13:56 
Noob as of 6/8/10

As there was bog all on of interest last night I watched Once Upon a Time in Iraq, episode 2, Insurgency on Beeb 2.

A lot if it was Lt. Col. Nate Sassaman's recollections of his role in causing the rise of the insurgents by his heavy handed and violent actions, particularly after the first of his own men was killed, effectively turning the whole of the country against the US. He openly admits that he lost the plot and that his actions were totally inappropriate, causing many deaths, injuries and physical and mental suffering for the civilian population. He knew perfectly well that they were not bringing peace and democracy to Iraq, while at the same time the politicians back home talked about the great success the US forces were having.

I think you could see how he regretted losing control of what was potentially an opportunity to do good.

I'm going to have to watch the whole series now.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:59 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Had an email from Prime, saying they are pulling Supernatural from 20th August. I am only on season 9 out of 15.. :( I don't think I can watch 60+ episodes on 10 days.

I can't seem to find where it is moving to, it is on Netfix in the US, is there a way to watch US Netflix in the UK, or is there an option like IPTV. It is not something I have looked at before

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:02 
Isn't that lovely?

A VPN will allow you to do to change your apparent location, but it's technically against the TOS of most VOD services and may be against the law too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:47 
Unpossible!

You can use a VPN to get US netflix, but they're servers are pretty clever. If you stream from the UK at 6pm then start streaming from the US at 7pm, a red flag pops and you get blocked until you're 'back in the UK'.

I think if you flipped to US and only streamed US stuff for a few weeks, you'd be ok.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 16:06 
Master of dodgy spelling....

DavPaz wrote:
You can use a VPN to get US netflix, but they're servers are pretty clever. If you stream from the UK at 6pm then start streaming from the US at 7pm, a red flag pops and you get blocked until you're 'back in the UK'.

I think if you flipped to US and only streamed US stuff for a few weeks, you'd be ok.

Good Advice. thanks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:40 
Prince of Fops

Lee Mack has not always been my taste, though he often does a good turn on Would I Lie to You.

But his new sitcom, Semi-Detached, is a thing of teeth-grinding beauty. It leans in hard to cringe comedy, and calamity after calamity is laid upon the increasingly down-trodden and shattered Lee Mack, throughout each episode.

He manages to summon a very sympathetic character, and there are plenty of other strong parts in the form of his neighbours (Patrick Baladi and that gloriously demented chap out of Back), plus Frances Barber as his mother-in-law and Phoenix Nights' Neil Fitzmaurice as his brother.

It's on iPlayer, very much recommended.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:55 

Not Going Out was brilliant for the first few series but it’s dragged on for far too long.

Might give this a go, as I’m a fan of his quick wit on WILTY. Assuming it is quick and not just edited to be quick ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 13:58 
Noob as of 6/8/10

GazChap wrote:
Not Going Out was brilliant for the first few series but it’s dragged on for far too long.

:this:

Mrs. W and I watched the first episode of "Manctopia: Billion Pound Property Boom." A combination views of :

Those building high rise apartment apartment blocks (some apartments cost £8k a month to rent!!!) and theere are people queuing up for them. You can't buy one of these places, only rent.

One of the estate agents with these places on their books,

A low earning single mum being evicted from her small house in Salford because her landlord's "circumstances have changed," not because she's ever been in rent arrears, and the difficulty of finding anything she can afford to rent in the area without downsizing

A "fashion stylist" who's moved back to Manchester after living rurally for several years and needing an apartment in the city centre with at least two bedrooms just for her clothes.

Homeless people living in hostels and waiting years for council properties, and the plight of single men who find it almost impossible to move up the waiting lists.

Recorded before Corona virus kicked in, of course, so it'll be interesting to see whether any of the developers lose their shirts in the end.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:14 

Only Connect starts again tonight! Yay!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 14:24 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Fuck off is it Season 16. How is that possible?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 14:38 
Unpossible!

Multiple seasons per year

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 14:49 
ugvm'er at heart...

They count seasons in 2n+1 prime base

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 16:21 
Isn't that lovely?

It Started in 2008, and had 2 seasons in 2010, 1013 and 2014.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 16:26 
Unpossible!

Malc wrote:
It Started in 2008, and had 2 seasons in 2010, 1013 and 2014.

I loved the pre-norman invasion episodes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 16:44 
Awesome
Yes

It all went downhill when they switched from Greek to hieroglyphs

Reply to topic  [ 2345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 47  Next