Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose UK TV thread
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 13:02 
Prince of Fops

MaliA wrote:
Downloaded 100 Greatest Wanks to watch JB get blown off Hellvellyn. Should be ace.

Title.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 13:04 
Prince of Fops

This article from the New Statesman reminds me Brasseye is long overdue a rewatch.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 13:05 
Hibernating Druid

MaliA wrote:
Downloaded 100 Greatest Wanks to watch JB get blown off Hellvellyn. Should be ace.

8)

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 21:27 
Noob as of 6/8/10

This is disgusting. And it's before the watershed.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:13 
Prince of Fops

Warhead wrote:
This is disgusting. And it's before the watershed.

Not one of my greatest wanks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:46 
Noob as of 6/8/10

I couldn’t believe what I was seeing, i.e. bats mating, but it was worse when Martin Hughes-Games started describing the relative size of the male’s penis (huge) and then how a second one came along for sloppy seconds when the female may still have been in torpor. He just went on and on about it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 19:28 
Noob as of 6/8/10

McMafia got better when they stopped trying to go into the details of all the financial stuff and had quite a satisfying ending.

Collateral (new Beeb thing started last night) must be really difficult for John Simm as he was also on Trauma on ITV at the same time. But it started well, with a murder of possibly the wrong person, and a couple of intertwining plots and a good twist at the end of the first episode that already has me guessing how they all link together. Looks very promising.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 20:53 

Got a 5 pointer on this week's 'Only Connect'. Yay!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 21:13 

Ooh, which one?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 22:03 

A round one question, so not as impressive as getting the final part of the sequence, but a minor acheivement that I celebrated with some cheap Riesling nonetheless.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
2016 referendums

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 22:06 

BBC 1: Julius Ceaser Revealed with Mary Beard.

Pop history as it should be done.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 22:07 

Nice spot!

I think I’ve twice got the final sequence part from the first clue, over the the entirety of all the past seasons. Sometimes you have just the right type of niche knowledge.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 22:26 
Comfortably Dumb

If you didn't know already, you can play a lot of the Only Connect walls here, although Chrome and Edge seem to block something that's stopping it working, but it worked in Firefox for me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 22:35 

Brilliant. They REALLY need to make that into an app!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 22:48 

There goes my evening...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:26 

There’s one bit of ‘junk’ TV I like to watch, and there’s a new series on at the moment. It’s called ‘24 Hours In Police Custody’ and follows Bedfordshire police. Each episode centres on a different case. It starts with the call coming in for a crime (or someone coming into the station to report a crime) moves through to the arrest and then covers the 24 hours between arrest and decision whether to charge or release.

The most recent episode is called Sex & Corruption. You MUST watch it. It’s amazing. DO NOT read the synopsis or any of the stories about it. Just watch it because OH MY GOODNESS. It is just amazing.

Here’s a link to the episode and you can watch online or on the All 4 app, but avoid the synopsis because spoilers...

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/24-h ... ce-custody

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:16 

Anyone seen the trailer for the new Derren Brown thing on Netflix? It looks fucking brutal! He gets a load of actors to railroad some poor sod into feeling that he's left with no choice but to murder someone by pushing them off a building. Lol.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:21 
Excellent Member

markg wrote:
Anyone seen the trailer for the new Derren Brown thing on Netflix? It looks fucking brutal! He gets a load of actors to railroad some poor sod into feeling that he's left with no choice but to murder someone by pushing them off a building. Lol.

Aye, I saw the trailer yesterday and was pretty surprised by how fucked up it looked and my first thought was how they get consent for something like this. I know he's done stuff in the past where they railroad someone but it was a lot less fucked up than this and the people signed up for it in advance knowing something weird would subsequently happen to them. You couldn't do that for this thing though because it would give the game away.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:24 
Hibernating Druid

markg wrote:

Something something Brexit.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:26 

I’ve not seen this trailer, but I have a weird memory if this being done before, with someone being brainwashed to push someone off a roof. I think there may have been two or three people given the choice to do it and at least one did.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:31 

Mimi wrote:
I’ve not seen this trailer, but I have a weird memory if this being done before, with someone being brainwashed to push someone off a roof. I think there may have been two or three people given the choice to do it and at least one did.

That's what I was thinking. Unless that just Derren Brown being Derren Brown on us.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:31 
Awesome
Yes

Mimi wrote:

Yes, it was on Channel 4 and they started with smaller compliances like getting them to pretend the meat sausage rolls were vegetarian to test compliance.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:34 

Ah yes, back in early 2016 or so. Looks like past me wasn't impressed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 23:25 

Not sure what to make of that. I can't help feeling that some of the participants could end up being quite badly affected by it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 0:24 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Yeah but don't forget that because it's on TV, you can believe about 15% of it is real and not some jazzed up rubbish for the camera.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:58 

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Oh sure, there must have been some question in their minds as to whether this completely unreal situation was in fact unreal but the dead body looked like it was scarily convincing. But regardless of that and assuming that the whole thing wasn't just complete rubbish and the participants actors I reckon that this could affect them in all sorts of ways.

Their own knowledge of what they did could cause some turmoil but then they might have known that something was up and tell themselves that they never believed that they were killing someone. But the reactions of people they know or even don't know to seeing them, at least as far as they knew, straight up murder someone could alter relationships surely. I know he waved it away by saying that most people would have done the same but I think that probably most people imagine that they would have been the one who refused and think quite a lot less of the ones who did it.

The speech bit was absolutely brilliant though. If that guy was just acting then he was doing a much better job than all the other hams in there.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:24 

Did they keep the timer telling you how long to go before the moneyshot?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:54 
Prince of Fops

Finished S1 of Britannia last night. I really enjoyed it.

It details the Roman invasion of Britain when the country was nowt but fields, drugged-up druids and warring tribes.

It looks excellent, features stand-out performances from David Morrissey, MacKenzie Crook and a host of formidably bad-ass female leads including Zoe Wanamaker.

The tone is at times jarring, shifting between grubby bawdiness and gruesome disembowellings.

But on the whole it was fascinating to watch, telling a fantastical story in an authentic-feeling historical setting.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 18:47 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I got bored about ep6. I'll try and go back to it. They're trying to make the girl be Arya Stark when in fact she's just irritating and dull.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 18:49 
Prince of Fops

Cras wrote:
I got bored about ep6. I'll try and go back to it. They're trying to make the girl be Arya Stark when in fact she's just irritating and dull.

Tek that back yer fooking bastard.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 18:17 

Just watched the first episode of BBC2's gritty reboot of Lord Clarke's famous 'Civilisation'.

The photography was stunning and the artifacts were fascinating, but the opening episode just didn't really hang together for me. It was more like an extended show-and-tell of cool stuff from history rather than an attempt to put them into wider argument about the nature of things.

I'll probably keep watching, especially as episode two has Mary Beard in it, but it's not as promising an opening as I was expecting.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 18:46 

It’s been absolutely panned in every review I’ve read. We watched the first episode last night, and though, yes, it does weave about quite a bit, and I think we jumped about 40,000 years forwards at one point, it is full of pretty things, and I like pretty things. I saw a whole collection of the fertility goddesses at the British Museum once and they absolutely hit me hard as just something so POWERFUL. I can’t explsin it, but I think it must have been a similar surge of feeling something meaningful that people sense when they think they e had a religious experience.

We’ll stick with it too, despite the clumsiness. I don’t think it deserves the absolute panning it’s getting. I love the Kenneth Clarke original, but it’s certsinly problematic from its single western male viewpoint, especially in light of being a colonial power through much of the history it was covering in art.

I do miss the long wandering shots of nothing whilst Clarke gets completely comfortable in his seat or adjusts his trousers in silence like an old school teacher expecting you to wait in silent reverence that he has arrived.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 22:34 

I missed it when it was first shown last year, but BBC4's 'Timewatch Guide' to the British Empire is a good look at how attitudes to imperalism as portrayed on TV have changed over the years.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:40 

Mimi wrote:
It’s been absolutely panned in every review I’ve read. We watched the first episode last night, and though, yes, it does weave about quite a bit, and I think we jumped about 40,000 years forwards at one point, it is full of pretty things, and I like pretty things.

I watched the second one yesterday over the Iplayer and really enjoyed it. Unlike the opener there was definitely more of an argument and thread to the 'essay'. Mary Beard does poke a little bit of fun at Lord Clarke in it, but that's good. Discussions about art should be a conversation.

Quote:
I saw a whole collection of the fertility goddesses at the British Museum once and they absolutely hit me hard as just something so POWERFUL. I can’t explsin it, but I think it must have been a similar surge of feeling something meaningful that people sense when they think they e had a religious experience.

I love it when that happens. My guilty secret is that I tend to find galleries boring (music and architecture are always more my thing), but once I realised it was better to go around aimlessly and find something that grabs you, rather than dutifully looking at each picture in each room and reading all the labels, I started to get a heck of a lot more out of these trips.

I remember being really grabbed in the Louvre by a large mosaic from the court of King Darius. Saw the Mona Lisa from a distance, as the crowds were more interesting than the portrait. Wasn't expecting to be so blown away by the 'Raft of the Medusa', given that I've seen it in prints many times and it's a key part of a Julian Barnes book, but hey, I was.

I must dig out my 'Ascent of Man' DVDs and re-watch that, thinking about it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:12 
Excellent Painter

Kern wrote:
Mimi wrote:
It’s been absolutely panned in every review I’ve read. We watched the first episode last night, and though, yes, it does weave about quite a bit, and I think we jumped about 40,000 years forwards at one point, it is full of pretty things, and I like pretty things.

I watched the second one yesterday over the Iplayer and really enjoyed it. Unlike the opener there was definitely more of an argument and thread to the 'essay'. Mary Beard does poke a little bit of fun at Lord Clarke in it, but that's good. Discussions about art should be a conversation.

Quote:
I saw a whole collection of the fertility goddesses at the British Museum once and they absolutely hit me hard as just something so POWERFUL. I can’t explsin it, but I think it must have been a similar surge of feeling something meaningful that people sense when they think they e had a religious experience.

I love it when that happens. My guilty secret is that I tend to find galleries boring (music and architecture are always more my thing), but once I realised it was better to go around aimlessly and find something that grabs you, rather than dutifully looking at each picture in each room and reading all the labels, I started to get a heck of a lot more out of these trips.

I remember being really grabbed in the Louvre by a large mosaic from the court of King Darius. Saw the Mona Lisa from a distance, as the crowds were more interesting than the portrait. Wasn't expecting to be so blown away by the 'Raft of the Medusa', given that I've seen it in prints many times and it's a key part of a Julian Barnes book, but hey, I was.

I must dig out my 'Ascent of Man' DVDs and re-watch that, thinking about it.

I agree with your sensibility. Good art should have a visceral reaction and I mosey around most exhibitions waiting for something to chime in this way. I go to a lot of exhibitions and I'm a member of the Tate. A lot of exhibitions in my view are ruined by tenuous, sometimes nebulous curation. Though some fun can be had reading between the lines of what the curator notes say and what I think.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:26 
Unpossible!

DBSnappa wrote:
Good art should have a visceral reaction

Indeed. I was with the kids in Port Sunlight over half-term and this sculpture entranced me...
Attachment:
IMG_20180219_142623.jpg

It was stunning. I think I stood in front of her for about 10 minutes.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:26 
Unpossible!

Woah, that's big.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:28 
Paws for thought

DavPaz wrote:
Woah, that's big.

Now you know how other people feel.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:02 

Mr Dave wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Woah, that's big.

Now you know how other people feel.

:D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 23:34 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

https://twitter.com/LegionFX/status/971 ... 48/video/1

April 3rd for the new season - cannot wait !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:47 
Excellent Member

zaphod79 wrote:
https://twitter.com/LegionFX/status/971085523329589248/video/1

April 3rd for the new season - cannot wait !

Yeeeessssssss!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 16:25 
Unpossible!

Did anyone see that Geordie fella serve up a fucking Chicken Parmo on Masterchef last night? Ballsy move!

The parmos I used to have in my uni days were the size of pizza box and covered in chips and garlic sauce. A long, long way from the fancy fare normally served up on Masterchef. Fucking delicious when drunk and possibly deadly for those with weak constitutions.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 16:45 

I don’t know what a chicken parmigiana is, so I googled it. I still can’t tell from Hoohle image search, but look at this weird little suggested image search doodah! I have never seen that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 16:50 
Unpossible!

Take a chicken breast, hammer it flat, coat it in breadcrumbs and deep fry. Serve with bechamel sauce and lashings of cheddar cheese. Sides include 'chippy' chips, 'chippy' salad and kebab meat.

Best served at 3am on Linthorpe Road, Middlesbrough.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 16:59 

It's schnitzel, but with chicken instead of the more Germanic veal or pork. It's not like "thin cutlet of meat, breaded and fried" is a particularly obscure culinary concept. I've made chicken parmigiana (usually served with spaghetti and marinara sauce, it's an Italian-American staple) a number of times. BBC Good Food has recipes: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/126 ... parmigiana

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 17:03 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

If parmo is always with bechamel that suggests it's distinct from the US version

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 17:07 

Cras wrote:
If parmo is always with bechamel that suggests it's distinct from the US version

I'd argue that's only a minor variation, given the Americans melt mozzarella over it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 17:07 
Unpossible!

Yeah, it was introduced to the North East by an Italian immigrant. The elegant origins have been hammered and deep fried out of it long, long ago.

I was very surprised that none of the chef judges or hosts had heard of it, even in it's original form.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 17:14 

DavPaz wrote:
I was very surprised that none of the chef judges or hosts had heard of it, even in it's original form.

Strongly suspect they were pretending to be shocked because they thought it would make better TV.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 17:17 
Unpossible!

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Strongly suspect they were pretending to be shocked because they thought it would make better TV.

You really think someone would do that? Go on TV and lie to the British public? Shame on you

Reply to topic  [ 2345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 47  Next