Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose UK TV thread
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:16 

Yeah, it's been brilliant. Not seen the latest one yet.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:21 
Unpossible!

markg wrote:
Yeah, it's been brilliant. Not seen the latest one yet.

Neither have I, but they've all been good. The Karaoke one was a bit of a departure though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:33 

The crossword one was just wonderful.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:37 
Unpossible!

markg wrote:
The crossword one was just wonderful.

Agreed. One of the best. Apparently it was a real Guardian crossword and they wrote the episode to fit the clues

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:42 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

I thought the Sheridan Smith one from an earlier series was genuinely brilliant.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 18:13 
Sleepyhead

Zardoz wrote:
We watched the first series of Cuckoo recently, comedy with the headteacher from The Inbetweeners, it was mostly hit over miss so pretty good overall (some actual lols in the Ecstasy/Dexys Midnight Runners episode). Last night we watched episode one of season two, the character Cuckoo isn't in it and his wife is now a different actress...

Whack-whack-oops.

Weirdly we watched the second series first, enjoyed it, but couldn't really get into the first one as much and ended up not watching all of it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 22:02 

Watched the first episode of Ben Zand's 'Dictatorland' just now, on Kazakhstan. It's only 23 minutes or so, but gives a short introduction to the country and life under its ruler, Nursultan Nazarbayev ('Naz'). Ben Zand is a charming host, and I'll watch the other two.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Perhaps being sent away to a mountain resort by the authorities on their national day to avoid covering any possible protests against the regime means it's not as in-depth as it could be.

Episodes via Iplayer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:45 
Excellent Member

A new series of that Dara O'Brian gaming show 'Go 8 Bit' starts next month. I enjoyed the couple of episodes I watched but didn't catch all of it. Potentially more interesting though is that this time around each episode will be followed by 'Go 8 Bit DLC' which will be a separate review show hosted by ex-Eurogamer person Ellie Gibson (who's in the main show) and various guests. I like Ellie Gibson's writing a lot and hopefully she'll be entertaining enough to carry that segment even though actually reviewing games on a TV show is generally pretty pointless.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 21:40 

Timeshift's episode on the fire service is a well-presented piece of social history, with a good mix of vintage footage and interviews. I was surprised by how late the municipal system began, and painfully reminded that progress usually only comes after a disaster. An enjoyable hour.

I was frusturated by the episode on the telephone system because despite some swizzy graphics and the dolcet tones of Victoria Coren-Mitchell it felt too bitty and trying to cram too much in rather than expand on the various segments in the detail they probably needed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:25 
Hello Hello Hello

PH33R my insanely up-to-date TV reporting, for I have recently started watching 'The Thick Of It' on Netflix, which I have never seen before at all.

Only done the first two seasons up to now and trying to watch an episode or two per night.

I have no explanation for why it's taken me so long to get round to watching it as I've been 'aware' of it pretty much since it first broadcast, and love the people behind it.

Obviously it's fantastic, although it is quite odd to see Chris Langham in there, especially when they start doing some of the 'nonce' routines. (I appreciate the situation with Langham is quite a complex one, BTW.)

'Come the fuck in or fuck the fuck off.'

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:56 
Excellent Member

I realise I'm pretty late to the party here but Elementary (the US TV version of Sherlock with Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu) is very good. Well, I've watched the first season and a few eps of the second so it could go to shit but for the moment at least I'm really enjoying it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:00 
Unpossible!

Bamba wrote:
I realise I'm pretty late to the party here but Elementary (the US TV version of Sherlock with Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu) is very good. Well, I've watched the first season and a few eps of the second so it could go to shit but for the moment at least I'm really enjoying it.

I enjoy it. It's reasonably formulaic, but that's US network TV for you.

The one thing that winds me up about Elementary is the mumbling. Everyone seems to talk in a... natural tone, like you would in a normal conversation. Which on TV can be really hard to pick up on, especially if there's background music to contend with

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:02 
Gogmagog

Bamba wrote:

I really lke it. It makes me feel clever. And has pretty laydeez in it.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 19:06 

Dan Snow on Lloyd George (BBC 4 yesterday)

Overview of one of the most fascinating prime ministers. Although it's only an hour so gives the key events in brief rather than the detail all of them deserve, it's worth catching for an understanding of the great man. Dan Snow's continual references to his family connection got irritating at the end, but other than that his presentation is compelling.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:50 
Hello Hello Hello

Finished the last episode of the last season of THE THICK OF IT last night. I now feel bereft.

Quite possibly one of the finest things I've ever watched on telly.

I might rewatch all of The Day Today and Brasseye.

Quote:
You know, I've spent ten years detoxifying this party. It's been a bit like renovating an old, old house, yeah? You can take out a sexist beam here, a callous window there, replace the odd homophobic roof tile. But after a while you realise that this renovation is doomed. Because the foundations are built on what I can only describe as a solid bed of cunts.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:13 
Prince of Fops

Hearthly wrote:
Finished the last episode of the last season of THE THICK OF IT last night. I now feel bereft.

Quote:
You know, I've spent ten years detoxifying this party. It's been a bit like renovating an old, old house, yeah? You can take out a sexist beam here, a callous window there, replace the odd homophobic roof tile. But after a while you realise that this renovation is doomed. Because the foundations are built on what I can only describe as a solid bed of cunts.

:DD

Coincidentally I started rewatching TTOI on Wednesday too. Capaldi seems so young in it. His attack-dog Jamie so vicious (unlike the wet characters he's been showing up as in Utopia and Line of Duty.)

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:21 

I don't know if this goes in the UK or US thread as it's a US show but currently on Channel 4, but you should watch The Handmaid's Tale because it's brilliant.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:45 
UltraMod

Mimi wrote:
I don't know if this goes in the UK or US thread as it's a US show but currently on Channel 4, but you should watch The Handmaid's Tale because it's brilliant.

It's good, but quite harrowing though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:41 
Excellent Member

For fans of the Inbetweeners, BBC2 have a new comedy called White Gold.

Its got "Jay and Simon" in it. They play double glazing salesman in the 1980's

Its funny in places, and worth a watch.

You can watch in weekly on BBC2 or pig out on all of it on IPlayer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:54 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

"It's funny in places" isn't the most resounding endorsement for a sitcom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:59 
Prince of Fops

asfish wrote:

Not seen it, but it's a segue into ANECDOTE TIME.

I took a summer job with a friend selling double glazing. Was a nation-wide firm. They dazzled us on the first day with promises of Rolexes and speedboats if we met our targets (what every second-year university student dreams of). We were sat in a grotty basement underneath a shop in Sheffield city centre with a gaggle of other hopefuls.

On the first day me and my friend were taken out on the road by a cocky man in a short-sleeve shirt and tie. He came hooning up to us in a Peugeot 208. On the way to the part of town we'd be doing our round in, he laid down the rules of the game while passing a spliff around the car.

The rules were thus:

- There are a lot of old people round here. When you see them, tell them about a spate of burglaries and break-ins. Then offer to do them a favour to come round and check their windows are safe. Frighten the shit out of them, get them to sign-up for a fitter to come round and cost things up.

If you knock on a door and a Pakistani (in vulgar terms) family answer, then just move on, because they're all cheap and they'll try and bargain you down.

Then he parked up, whipped out some coke and offered it around the car.

We declined, walked around some housing estates until lunchtime and then fucked it off and went home. Never went back. Horrendous.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:06 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:
"It's funny in places" isn't the most resounding endorsement for a sitcom

That's just my opinion, friends who recommended it all love it.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
What I don't like is the lead character (Vince) sometimes, he plays a wide boy salesman and the character is funny, but can also be quite a nasty to his family. Where as in Derek the serious stuff was separated out and the crass laughs were done by Kev being a pig. There is once scene where Vince goes on his sons school trip and he wants to shag his teacher, so he totally blanks his son who has saved a seat next to him to sit next to the teacher, I thought it was a shitty thing to do and was out of context with everything else going on which was mostly comedy. That said speaking with most of my friends they didn't see it like this so maybe I'm being too precious:)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:09 
Excellent Member

Findus Fop wrote:
asfish wrote:

Not seen it, but it's a segue into ANECDOTE TIME.

I took a summer job with a friend selling double glazing. Was a nation-wide firm. They dazzled us on the first day with promises of Rolexes and speedboats if we met our targets (what every second-year university student dreams of). We were sat in a grotty basement underneath a shop in Sheffield city centre with a gaggle of other hopefuls.

On the first day me and my friend were taken out on the road by a cocky man in a short-sleeve shirt and tie. He came hooning up to us in a Peugeot 208. On the way to the part of town we'd be doing our round in, he laid down the rules of the game while passing a spliff around the car.

The rules were thus:

- There are a lot of old people round here. When you see them, tell them about a spate of burglaries and break-ins. Then offer to do them a favour to come round and check their windows are safe. Frighten the shit out of them, get them to sign-up for a fitter to come round and cost things up.

If you knock on a door and a Pakistani (in vulgar terms) family answer, then just move on, because they're all cheap and they'll try and bargain you down.

Then he parked up, whipped out some coke and offered it around the car.

We declined, walked around some housing estates until lunchtime and then fucked it off and went home. Never went back. Horrendous.

They do say in the show that the mark up on Windows is 600% not sure if that true, but when we get ours done soon I will be keeping that in mind for the pricing!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:17 

The passengers that took on the train line, BBC2 last night.
This had the potential to be a really informative discussion of the complexities of the railway network, the franchising system, and the practicality or otherwise of solving problems without a major upheaval.

Sadly it wasn't. Despite repeated criticisms of the existing set-up and statements that they would improve things, the programme seldom bothered examining why things were they way they are or how feasible the suggested improvements are. The contrast with the Swiss system, whilst interesting, was never used as a starting point to discuss why Britain's system isn't like that. It was just a case of 'we can do things better', all the time.

Not worth wasting your time with, even if you are stuck at signals.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I just got invited to be in the audience for "TIM VINE TRAVELS IN TIME".

Here's the blurb:
Quote:
Master of the pun Tim Vine journeys back in time to the days of Robin Hood in a quest to mend a golden arrow and a broken heart. Tim runs an antique shop and owns a special Grandfather clock which can transport him back in time. His very first customer is a surprise celebrity guest, who asks for help in mending an ancient golden arrow. In order to help, Tim steps inside his Grandfather clock and travels back to the days of Robin Hood where he meets Maid Marion and his soon to be arch enemy, the Sheriff of Nottingham. Robin bears an uncanny resemblance to the celebrity guest and Tim soon discovers Robin’s archery skills are failing and Marion has turned her romantic attentions to Tim himself. Can Tim find out why Robin has lost his skills and reunite Robin and Marion? And will he repair the broken arrow?

Dear fucking Christ.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:44 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Interestingly, the blurb on the BBC website is this:
Quote:
Master of the pun Tim Vine journeys back in time to the days of Robin Hood in a quest to mend a golden arrow and a broken heart. Tim runs an antique shop and owns a special Grandfather clock which can transport him back in time. His very first customer is celebrity adventurer Ben Fogle who asks for help in mending an ancient golden arrow. In order to help, Tim steps inside his Grandfather clock and travels back to the days of Robin Hood where he meets the Merry Men, Maid Marion and his soon to be arch enemy, the Sheriff of Nottingham. Robin bears an uncanny resemblance to Ben Fogle and Tim soon discovers Robin's archery skills are failing and Marion has turned her romantic attentions to Tim himself. Can Tim find out why Robin has lost his skills and reunite Robin and Marion? And will he repair the broken arrow?

Obviously Ben Fogle is more of a draw if he's a secret.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:09 
Unpossible!

That sounds like utter shit. How will Tim Vine get his 4 billion one liners into a script of rowing puns?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:11 

I'd forgotten that Radio 2 occasionally does comedy. Other than the Jeremy Vine show, obviously.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:17 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Speaking of Radio shows, my little brother wrote a play that's going to be on The Afternoon Play on R4 soon.

I should find out when.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:02 

BBC 3's 'Queer Britain'. Excellent look at contemporary LGBTQ+ life in Britain today, taking in some issues and realities that often get ignored or considered too tricky to mention. The one on religion with the JW's parents disowning him was heartbreaking and the one on racism ('preference') was uncomfortable but necessary viewing.

Watching it also made me feel very old...I''m clearly not in my mid-twenties any more.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:33 
Unpossible!

Kern wrote:
BBC 3's 'Queer Britain'. Excellent look at contemporary LGBTQ+ life in Britain today, taking in some issues and realities that often get ignored or considered too tricky to mention. The one on religion with the JW's parents disowning him was heartbreaking and the one on racism ('preference') was uncomfortable but necessary viewing.

Watching it also made me feel very old...I''m clearly not in my mid-twenties any more.

If you don't mind me asking, when did you come out, Kern?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:34 
Excellent Member

Kern wrote:

Dude, you're a politics geek who re-enacts historical battles for fun. I think you've always been old.

;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:43 

DavPaz wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, when did you come out, Kern?

In Myp's manly hug thread back in November 2015 :)

But seriously (and probably worth a longer post on its own in the members' only area), other than some awkward experiments at university in the early 2000s, in early 2013 I realised that some feelings and issues I'd put in a box and locked away couldn't stay there for ever and had to be dealt with. I don't really like labels or believe that one's sexuality can be categorised or is fixed for all time but I do know that I like the male form (especially certain Scottish rugby captains) in ways I don't with the female form.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:44 

Bamba wrote:
I think you've always been old.

Hey, I had a teenage rebellion and shaved all my hair off once. When I was 32.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:51 
Unpossible!

Those Scottish Rugby captains have turned many a head, so I've heard :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:52 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Kern wrote:
Bamba wrote:
I think you've always been old.

Hey, I had a teenage rebellion and shaved all my hair off once. When I was 32.

:DD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:57 

Nothing to do with TV or sexuality, or rugby, but Kern, you're genuinely one of the funniest, cleverest and most likeable people I've ever met, and one of the main reasons I still read on here. I keep meaning to say that, and never do. But today I did!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:40 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Grim... wrote:
Speaking of Radio shows, my little brother-in-law wrote a play that's going to be on The Afternoon Play on R4 soon.

I should find out when.

Turns out it's on Monday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08y016m

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:50 
Hibernating Druid

Mimi wrote:
Nothing to do with TV or sexuality, or rugby, but Kern, you're genuinely one of the funniest, cleverest and most likeable people I've ever met, and one of the main reasons I still read on here. I keep meaning to say that, and never do. But today I did!

:this:

You're an entertaining voice of reason in this purile escape pod.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:08 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Zardoz wrote:
Mimi wrote:

:this:

You're an entertaining voice of reason in this purile escape pod.

My favourite Kern moment was at the Cottage last year when he had to ignore Malia and Lonewolves during the card game. Brilliantly done!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:24 

Never quite sure if radio should go into the podcast thread as most things are available that way these days or on this thread, but I don't really care.

Anyway, I had the radio on last night whilst reading, drinking, and generally avoiding housework, when that evening's Prom came on. Unusually, the first half hour or so was a short and accessible dissection of Beethoven's 'Eroica' symphony, pulling out key themes and showing how the melodies and rhythm etc are all spun together. I certainly found that there was much I'd never picked up on before and when they played the symphony in the second half it was fun picking out the things discussed in this. It ended by showing the overlaps between Richard Strauss's 'Metamorphosen' (one of my favourite pieces of work; more or less his reaction to the destruction of Germany at the end of WW2) and the symphony, playing an excerpt from both at the same time that worked really well. They then played 'Metamorphosen' in full.

The interval programme was a short selection of readings from people alive at the time of Napoleon (who Beethoven originally dedicated the symphony to, before expunging him in rage after Boney thought 'what the hell' and crowned himself Emperor), taking in Wordsworth, Lord Byron, and Goethe amongst others. It complemented the programme very well, like a good port with cheese.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 18:17 

'The Mash Report': or, 'The Daily Show with Nish Kumar'.

I like Nish Kumar. His appearances on the revamped 'Bugle' are always very funny and he has an infectious laugh. His bits behind the desk are as good as on that renowned audio newspaper, although the 'funny picture behind him of him doing a funny facial expression' gets old fast, and I didn't care much for the poo gag. He's good at doing a monologue, and seldom did a joke fall flat.

I didn't care much for the recurring mock newsdesk segments, which, other than a bit about a Megabus, were generally going for the too obvious jokes and falling for the 'Now Show' problem of someone saying something funny before cutting to a clip where the exact same funny thing is said again. Also, the sexy lady newsreader and gruff male newsreader doubleact has only ever been done well by Globelink and ought to be laid to rest. Better was the social media correspondent reading out viewers' tweets that was far funnier and a modern revamp of 'Speak your Brains'.

The standout segments were the interview with the token Tory and the piece by Andrew Hunter-Murray (of 'No such thing as a fish' fame) on religion, both of which had me laughing out loud and worth the admission fee.

Will I watch again? Probably, if there's nothing else on, and I remember about it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 20:50 
Comfortably Dumb

Kern wrote:

Will I watch again? Probably, if there's nothing else on, and I remember about it.

That about sums it up for me too. I don't think it works as well as the website, but it was watchable enough.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 22:47 
Excellent Member

I've only experienced Nish Kumar doing guest spots on other shows (like The Now Show) during which he's utterly insufferable and about as funny as cancer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 22:50 
Noob as of 6/8/10

I thought it was dreadful, weak and amateurish. It looked like the audience had been told they'd be whipped if they didn't vigorously applaud and /or laugh hysterically at every utterance.

I definitely WON'T be watching it again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:49 
EvilTrousers

I watched half of The Mash report last night and had to turn it off because it appeared to be Nish Kumar trying as hard as he possibly could to be John Oliver.

The mannerisms, the inflections and the construction of the monologues was like watching Last Week Tonight, only nowhere near as good.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:08 
Hello Hello Hello

I had it on at the hotel last week, gave up after about 15 minutes, if that, and played Hearthstone on my Shield instead.

It might have worked better without the constant hysterical laughter, and maybe no studio audience.

I like Nish Kumar well enough in other things, but this was just bad.

The programme seems to me like an answer to a question no one was asking. Ever.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 18:08 

'Two Types: The Faces of Britain'

A look at the history and future of two popular sans-serif fonts typefaces: Johnston (of Underground fame) and Gill Sans (of BBC logo and notorious kiddy-fiddling fame).

Perhaps 10 minutes too long, but full of retro-Tube porn and other archive clips, as well as being open about Eric Gill's life, and enjoyable enough.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:19 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Secrets of Silicon Valley on the Beeb tonight. Fascinating to see how the likes of Uber and Airbnb started out with best intentions, only to find the very people they're trying to help can end up poorer or even suicidal owing to the way their businesses develop.

Then you have Sam Altman saying we'll be able to afford to pay people not to work when automation takes over all jobs, and believing that we'll be happy to live that way, and Jeremy Howard who thinks that we are heading for a dystopian future if we don't address the issues raised by the development of Artificial Intelligence.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:33 
Prince of Fops

Hearthly wrote:

Quote:

Was reminded of this excellent Pooh Tucker thing today. And was subsequently reminded of the excellent quote above.

Good times.

Reply to topic  [ 2345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 47  Next