Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1507 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose UK TV thread
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 23:04 
Bad Girl

I get it but I’m not happy with it. If you don’t know Big Narstie has a TV programme on channel 4 which he hosts with Mo Gilligan. Big Narstie on Quiz of Everything and Mo Gilligan was on Quiz of 2018.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 23:10 
Bad Girl

Grim... wrote:
Satsuma wrote:
Didn’t you see him on Britain’s Got More Talent when that gay comedian went to dance with him for the lulz?

Yup.

Didn't you see that the gay comedian's opinion of the event?

I saw his Tweet. Tweet? I’m think it was or maybe it was a paper reporting the Tweet.

As far as I know he’s never spoke about it again. And why would he when he’s starting his career? He wouldn’t wanted it mired in controversy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 21:22 

BBC 4:America's Biggest Fibs with Lucy Worsley

Enjoyable look at the mythology of US history. The first one is about the Revolution. No doubt I'll be picking holes in next week's episode on the American Civil War.

Also, Worsley looks strangely alluring in an NFL helmet. Ahem.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 21:37 
Gogmagog

Kern wrote:
BBC 4:America's Biggest Fibs with Lucy Worsley

Enjoyable look at the mythology of US history. The first one is about the Revolution. No doubt I'll be picking holes in next week's episode on the American Civil War.

Also, Worsley looks strangely alluring in an NFL helmet. Ahem.

I have a lot of time for her

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 22:08 

Kern wrote:
Just watched the first episode of BBC Northern Ireland's 'Soft Border Patrol', a fly-on-the-wall documentary about the brave men and women protecting the border between the UK and the EU in our happy Brexit future.

It's a very charming show in the tradition of highlighting the absurdities of petty officials' working lives. The cast are very likeable, and portrayed as believing they are making a difference. In the one I saw, there were several very good scenarioes, of which my favourite being the lady worried about Ebola entering Ulster. Definitely going to keep watching.

This amiable show has returned for a second series . As with the first series, some bits work better than others but it's all so charming I feel I can overlook the weaker material in favour of the belly laughs such as the woman protesting the 'Ks' or the massive and inexplicable spike for July on a pedometer's readout.

And if it's what our future will contain, we ought to be very afraid.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:07 
Excellent Member

Mrs B and I smashed through The Umbrella Academy over the weekend; a Netflix production based on the Eisner Award winning comic series of the same name. The basic pitch is:

Quote:
On October 1, 1989, 43 women around the world give birth simultaneously, despite none of them showing any sign of pregnancy until labour began. These children are gifted with superpowers and abilities and seven of these children, Klaus, Luther, Diego, Allison, Ben, Vanya, and an unnamed Number Five, are adopted by eccentric billionaire Sir Reginald Hargreeves. Hargreeves creates "The Umbrella Academy", a superhero team using numbers to protect their identities. While six of his children work to save the world, Reginald keeps Vanya apart from her siblings' activities, as she has no powers of her own.

In the present day, Luther is an astronaut, Allison is a famous actress, Vanya is playing violin on stage, Klaus is a party animal with a drug addiction, Ben is a ghost only able to converse with Klaus while Diego has become a vigilante with a penchant for trouble. The estranged siblings learn that Reginald has died and gather for his funeral. Number Five returns from the future, revealing that a global apocalypse is imminent. Meanwhile, the reunited siblings try to uncover the secret of their dysfunctional family while beginning to come apart due to their divergent personalities and abilities.

So, it's pretty fucking weird basically. It's a story of mysteries essentially and the first few episodes are spent setting up a load of questions; some of which are known to the characters and just aren't explained to the audience initially, and others which are more central to the plot and the family are actively investigating as we go. This structure gives it all an instant hook and you're very quickly invested in finding out just what in the fuck is going on. Obviously there's a risk there because if the answers aren't forthcoming or satisfying then you're going to feel cheated, but the show nimbly avoids that trap to my mind simply by being well written and internally consistent. The latter is it's real strength because, although the setup is pretty weird, it plays out in such a natural way that you quickly becoming very accepting of it all and nothing is jarringly stupid or odd about it. It also doesn't make that classic fuck up of modern shows by sagging massively in the middle, there's maybe like one episode that isn't 100% essential and the rest of it's pretty trim with very little in the way of exposition dumps or badly introduced plot jumps. It's perhaps not quite as stylish and funny as the trailer would have you believe (there's no real moments to compare to the Tiffany number in the opening episode) but the actual show it becomes is more compelling for it's subtlety to my mind. Certainly I've enjoyed this more than a lot of things I've watched in the last year and it's the first thing in a long time that's been so compelling from episode to episode that it absolutely demanded a shotgunning. Very good stuff indeed that I reckon would be enjoyed by most people on here.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:26 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'm up to episode 8 I think, I'm enjoying it and really like the style. It's a mildly fresh take on the superhero trope, and definitely worth watching.

Reply to topic  [ 1507 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31