Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1076 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Students protesting outside Con HQ
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:26 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

DavPaz wrote:
You have to be an artist to be a designer. I trained in design, but have no artistic flair so I ultimately failed. Look are Zardoz! He's an artist! Admittedly I haven't seen any of your work, but I doubt it's just black text on white backgrounds.

Pah, I'm not an artist in the slightest, but I know the function of colours, shapes, lines, contrast etc. to balance them into something that guides the eyes to the important bits. That's all psychology and function riding on the back of form; making things look pretty doesn't factor into my work at all, but the end product is often beautiful.

Give me a blank canvas without a specific problem to solve and I'm fucked. That's not art.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:27 
INFINITE POWAH

MaliA wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
The fiduciary duty bit is important here - it's not something that third parties can rely on. And note 174 is excluded even from that - IIRC 174 is a wishy washy statement of "wouldn't it be nice if companies were nice".

s174 is due care, skill and dillgence.

I really can't remember, to be honest. I've a feeling I should know, though.

Ha - so the basics of what a fiduciary duty is are excluded from being enforced as a fiduciary duty. Genius.

Which is the wishy washy one, about taking the environment and baby seals into account?
Grim... wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
You have to be an artist to be a designer.

Rubbish. Rubbish rubbish rubbish.

Very true - you can design stuff that works but that's pug ugly and has no aesthetic value at all. A good designer, on the other hand...

On my aero eng course the aerodynamics lecturer told us that if you design something that looks right (which with planes includes the aesthetics, as streamlined shapes are aesthetically pleasing), then it tends to work.
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
The fiduciary duty bit is important here - it's not something that third parties can rely on. And note 174 is excluded even from that - IIRC 174 is a wishy washy statement of "wouldn't it be nice if companies were nice".

I've seen it done before.
Company was running out of cash - director/shareholder kept taking dividends out. When the company went bust, creditors went after him personally under s174 (or 85 equivalent) and he lost his house. Liquidators can look back at actions over a two year period prior to insolvency iirc.

Interetsing. Would it have been enforceable by third parties but for the insovlency, though? I really need to refresh my memory on this stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:28 

Malaboob wrote:
Pah, I'm not an artist in the slightest, but I know the function of colours, shapes, lines, contrast etc. to balance them into something that guides the eyes to the important bits. That's all psychology and function riding on the back of form; making things look pretty doesn't factor into my work at all, but the end product is often beautiful.

Give me a blank canvas without a specific problem to solve and I'm fucked. That's not art.
The "problem to solve" aspect is the important bit. I'd say artists and designers work with the same tools (a sense of aesthetic, really), but to different ends, and with different mindsets.

I hearby dub this thread "The Quick And The Unable To Post".

baron of techno

Grim... wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
You have to be an artist to be a designer.

Rubbish. Rubbish rubbish rubbish.

Have to say, I don't agree with that either.
I'm an engineer. I also like to think I have an eye for design.

I particularly like the architecture of Alvar Aalto, of Finland.

But I'm not an artist and haven't learned anything about art beyond basic classes in school (which I didn't do well in, and were mutually exclusive with the techy classes I wanted to take anyway).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:30 
Hibernating Druid

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I'd say artists and designers work with the same tools (a sense of aesthetic, really), but to different ends, and with different mindsets.

We should all compare our ends. Open-mindedly.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:31 
Unpossible!

Malaboob wrote:

Don't sell yourself short. People with no creative flair look upon any creative type and see art. Whether that's in an oil painting, sculpture, electrical diagram, OS map or coffee mug. If you make a living from creative practice, you're a lucky guy.

*looks at pathetic doodles on diary*

*cries*

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:32 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Quote:
Interetsing. Would it have been enforceable by third parties but for the insovlency, though? I really need to refresh my memory on this stuff.

Creditors can force administration outside of insolvency, so the company could have assets but just not be paying its bills due to cashflow, so say a big fucking loan to the director. But yes, in reality there needs to be a 'problem' for action. Saying that though, the number of times people put in winding up petitions just to be cunts rather than solve a problem is phenomenal, and the hassle factor of that is huge.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:33 
INFINITE POWAH

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

I've seen it done before.
Company was running out of cash - director/shareholder kept taking dividends out. When the company went bust, creditors went after him personally under s174 (or 85 equivalent) and he lost his house. Liquidators can look back at actions over a two year period prior to insolvency iirc.

Ah ha - it's because the liquidator steps into the shoes of the shareholders, or something, and is enforcing the company's rights under 174 against the director.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

DavPaz wrote:
Malaboob wrote:

Don't sell yourself short. People with no creative flair look upon any creative type and see art. Whether that's in an oil painting, sculpture, electrical diagram, OS map or coffee mug.

That suggests that a computer could be an artist.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:36 
INFINITE POWAH

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Quote:

Creditors can force administration outside of insolvency, so the company could have assets but just not be paying its bills due to cashflow, so say a big fucking loan to the director. But yes, in reality there needs to be a 'problem' for action.

Indeed, but the directors' duties under the CA are (if I've just read something on PLC correctly) only enforceable by or on behalf of the company against the director. So it's part and parcel of the risks attendant on going insolvent, which include the "knowingly trading whilst insolvent" one.

Quote:
Saying that though, the number of times people put in winding up petitions just to be cunts rather than solve a problem is phenomenal, and the hassle factor of that is huge.

Yeah, we did that all the time when I was a litigation trainee. Stat dec and then winding up petition as part of a litigation strategy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:36 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Malaboob wrote:

Don't sell yourself short. People with no creative flair look upon any creative type and see art. Whether that's in an oil painting, sculpture, electrical diagram, OS map or coffee mug.

There was something on Today a few months back about a computer that is composing music...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:37 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

DavPaz wrote:
Malaboob wrote:

Don't sell yourself short. People with no creative flair look upon any creative type and see art. Whether that's in an oil painting, sculpture, electrical diagram, OS map or coffee mug. If you make a living from creative practice, you're a lucky guy.

*looks at pathetic doodles on diary*

*cries*

Heh.

I can see beauty, but that doesn't make me an artist. It's the process I'm trying to get at here, not the result.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:38 
Gogmagog

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Ah ha - it's because the liquidator steps into the shoes of the shareholders, or something, and is enforcing the company's rights under 174 against the director.

Yeah, that's it, as ApplePie said. Saved me getting the books out of the loft.

I was talking to someone who said that as long as he ran the pub through his limited company, the brewery couldn't chase him for the cost of the beer he didn't buy from them, as he'd just declare the company bankrupt. I thought under s174 they could, as he wan't doing things in accordance with the lease, so not running the company diligently, and they could recover personally.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:39 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Indeed, but the directors' duties under the CA are (if I've just read something on PLC correctly) only enforceable by or on behalf of the company against the director. So it's part and parcel of the risks attendant on going insovlent, which include the "knowingly trading whilst insovlent" one.

You're not wrong. Which is why I continued the conversation - there is no way I would encourage your window cleaner to incorporate without proper, ongoing advice, and suddenly the £3k tax saving doesn't look so pretty.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:41 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Malaboob wrote:

I suggest that some computer generated art is beautiful. Art can come from fractals after all and that's just maths :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:41 
INFINITE POWAH

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Indeed, but the directors' duties under the CA are (if I've just read something on PLC correctly) only enforceable by or on behalf of the company against the director. So it's part and parcel of the risks attendant on going insovlent, which include the "knowingly trading whilst insovlent" one.

You're not wrong.

Sig!

Quote:
Which is why I continued the conversation - there is no way I would encourage your window cleaner to incorporate without proper, ongoing advice, and suddenly the £3k tax saving doesn't look so pretty.

Well, maybe. But you'd have those same risks on insolvency severalfold if you were trading in your own name - the creditors are much more able to come after your house if you're a sole trader than a liquidator or administrator bringing a claim for breach of fiduciary duty.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:42 
INFINITE POWAH

DavPaz wrote:
Grim... wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Malaboob wrote:

I suggest that some computer generated art is beautiful. Art can come from fractals after all and that's just maths :)

Didn't someone once say that maths is the purest form of art?

SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
There was something on Today a few months back about a computer that is composing music...

This isn't a new thing - I remember seeing something about it on Tomorrow's World. If a human ear hears a particular set of chords for a certain amount of time, science can figure out what it would like to hear next.

Here's some - have a listen: http://blog.miller-mccune.com.s72010.gr ... Track2.mp3

[edit]I like this one more: http://blog.miller-mccune.com.s72010.gr ... well_1.mp3

Grim... wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
And my point, distilled to the minimum is 'Engineers are artists'
That's tricky to define - isn't anyone with any skill an artist?
I dunno, look at Gimp. Built by code monkeys & presumably designed by them as well. It sure as hell wasn't designed by an artist :DD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:43 
Unpossible!

Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Now your're getting it. Art is everywhere!

*watches video of plastic bag blowing in the wind*

*masturbates*

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:43 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Kissyfur wrote:

See, I disagree with that entirely. You can get maths wrong, but you can't get a painting wrong. It can be bad, but not wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:44 
Gogmagog

Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Painting by numbers must be the bestest ever, then.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:45 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

DavPaz wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

That's what I said: viewtopic.php?p=483913#p483913

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:45 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

See, I disagree with that entirely. You can get maths wrong, but you can't get a painting wrong. It can be bad, but not wrong.

I respectfully disagree. A painting of Craster bumming his mum in a badger costume would be wrong, for instance.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:47 

If maths and art are separate disciplines, I'd invite you to explain which one M C Escher was.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:47 
INFINITE POWAH

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
If maths and art are separate disciplines, I'd invite you to explain which one M C Escher was.

A polymath.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:48 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

That's what I said: viewtopic.php?p=483913#p483913

Ah, yes. Sorry, thread rolled on pretty quickly there.

I take your point about skill. That's essentially what I've been saying. You don't necessarily have to sit down and think 'Right! Let's make something beautiful!'. Look at the waste paper bins in any artist's studio and see how that works. Sometimes art just appears. Like my comment about the leaves in B&B this morning.

Damn, I'm a friggin hippy today. *strokes beard*

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:48 
Isn't art just getting people to believe bullshit about something shit?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:49 
INFINITE POWAH

nickachu wrote:

Okay, I take it back Cavey - Nickachu's the definition of philistine.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:50 
Unpossible!

nickachu wrote:

Welcome to Dadaism.

It's anti-art. Sadly, a lot of modern artists didn't get it and just copied the theme, but not the idea. That's why most modern art is utter shit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:53 
Gogmagog

DavPaz wrote:
. That's why most modern art is utter shit.

O tempora, o mores.

I think that, at the point of creation, no art is good, but, over time, it becomes great, as the stuff that is shit fades away from the consciousness.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:55 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Someone who did a bit of both?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:55 

Grim... wrote:
Wrong perspective. The argument is along these lines: if art is the communication of complex concepts via abstractions that only work because of the links between the abstractions and the concepts that exist in people's minds, then the equation of gravitation is itself art.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:56 
Gogmagog

Dust.

Wind.

Dude.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:56 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Well, maybe. But you'd have those same risks on insolvency severalfold if you were trading in your own name - the creditors are much more able to come after your house if you're a sole trader than a liquidator or administrator bringing a claim for breach of fiduciary duty.

Another real life example ;)

Guy was a builder. Bloke down the pub told him that incorporating would save him shit loads in tax and he didn't really need an advisor because its easy. Builder enquires what 'Limited Liability' is and is told by his mate that if things go tits up, he only loses the company.

Builder duly incorporates himself, remembering the limited liability part. So at this point, he decides that the company doesn't need public liability insurance and as he is working for the company, he is protected too, so he cancels the policy that he held in his own name. Scaffold falls down...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:57 
1 mistake and it's a mistake.
2 and you're a bad musician.
3 it's jazz.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Wrong perspective. The argument is along these lines: if art is the communication of complex concepts via abstractions that only work because of the links between the abstractions and the concepts that exist in people's minds, then the equation of gravitation is itself art.

But the equation would still be correct, whether we wanted it to be or not.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:58 
Unpossible!

nickachu wrote:
3 it's jazz.

4 PROFIT!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:59 
Gogmagog

nickachu wrote:
3 it's jazz.

Bach invented Jazz.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:00 

Grim... wrote:
We don't know whether maths is discovered or invented. Once you get beyond trivial stuff like Pythagoras and pi, it's a matter of perspective whether calculus, say, is an artefact of the universe or an artefact of how we look at the universe. And now we're in Plato's Cave super-metaphor world.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:00 
Hibernating Druid

Wullie wrote:
Grim... wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
And my point, distilled to the minimum is 'Engineers are artists'
That's tricky to define - isn't anyone with any skill an artist?
I dunno, look at Gimp.

It's rude to stare!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:01 
INFINITE POWAH

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Another real life example ;)

Guy was a builder. Bloke down the pub told him that incorporating would save him shit loads in tax and he didn't really need an advisor because its easy. Builder enquires what 'Limited Liability' is and is told by his mate that if things go tits up, he only loses the company.

Builder duly incorporates himself, remembering the limited liability part. So at this point, he decides that the company doesn't need public liability insurance and as he is working for the company, he is protected too, so he cancels the policy that he held in his own name. Scaffold falls down...

Fucking. Moron.

Dear christ.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:02 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
We don't know whether maths is discovered or invented. Once you get beyond trivial stuff like Pythagoras and pi, it's a matter of perspective whether calculus, say, is an artefact of the universe or an artefact of how we look at the universe. And now we're in Plato's Cave super-metaphor world.

Alice in Wonderland is actually about the new mathematics that was coming into play at the time.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:07 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:

I'm pretty sure that we aren't going to define what art is and is not here in this thread given that such a thing has long defied people far cleverer than any of us plebs on here. So my own definition of art is unsatisfactory and always subject to change but it's never going to include maths, or engineering, or fractals even if some other person's might. I still view them all as creative endeavours but not as art, no way.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:09 
Unpossible!

Really?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:10 
INFINITE POWAH

DavPaz wrote:

Really?

Aesthetically pleasing does not necessarily equal art.

Otherwise the Lake District is art.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:11 
Gogmagog

markg wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:

I'm pretty sure that we aren't going to define what art is and is not here in this thread given that such a thing has long defied people far cleverer than any of us plebs on here. So my own definition of art is unsatisfactory and always subject to change but it's never going to include maths, or engineering, or fractals even if some other person's might. I still view them all as creative endeavours but not as art, no way.

I consider the polymerase chain reaction to be art.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:11 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

markg wrote:
So my own definition of art is unsatisfactory and always subject to change but it's never going to include maths, or engineering, or fractals even if some other person's might. I still view them all as creative endeavours but not as art, no way.

http://blog.miller-mccune.com.s72010.gr ... well_1.mp3
Really?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:42 
Hibernating Druid

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Reply to topic  [ 1076 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 22  Next