Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Walking Dead
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 21:47 
Excellent Painter

Atrocity Exhibition wrote:
After a slightly shaky start with the conversation in the cop car, I thought the main protagonist panned out pretty well.

He didn't do anything massively stupid (setting off down the pitch black stairs with just a book of matches when the zombies were trapped behind a padlocked door wasn't genius though), he came round to a grim acceptance of the situation in a reasonably believable fashion, and whilst they put in some suspect super-healing of his gunshot wound going on we don't really want to watch weeks of rehabilitation when there are zombies around.

We also have to assume that some stuff happens off screen, it goes without saying that as his day and night with the dude and his son progressed, they talked a lot and he was convinced that it was all real, especially considering what he'd seen with his own eyes prior to that.

I know nothing about the comics and indeed have never laid eyes on a single one, but I do like my zombie films and The Walking Dead got more right in its first episodes than most 'proper' films manage in their entire running length.

By the end of it I felt emotionally invested in the main character, his former partner and their friends, and also the dude and his son - it wasn't perfect by any means, but I'm interested to see what happens next and where the story goes.

My biggest complaint was CGI blood, which never, ever, looks convincing. Can it really be better/cheaper to use CGI blood over a $10 squib?

It might be worth spoilering some of that.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Anyway, my concerns were the fact that a trained law officer, regardless of his daze after coming out of a coma (we don't know how long he was out, but quite a few weeks I would imagine, which would negate the worst of the gunshot wound healing problem), proceeded to walk through a fucked hospital with all the sharps over the floor, through a war torn environ to his house, for ten minutes of episode time, without feeling the need to put anything on his feet or put any clothes on. This felt simply like an art direction choice rather than a logical one — marvel at our set dressing, while a too buff for his condition Andrew Lincoln moseys around in a pair of Jockey shorts and a hospital robe. He then encountered Lennie James and after being attacked and recuperating, proceeds to ask no questions. Then we have to deal with the clunking scene with his patrol partner and the scene where they do three things, two of which are simply plot mechanisms which are patronising. They establish that Atlanta is a bad place to go, which is where our hero is going, they establish that patrol partner and principal character's wife are getting it on, which leads us to flimsily surmise that is why principal character was abandoned to his fate in the hospital when the town was evacuated. Then we have to deal with a trained law officer blithely riding past a few zombies, noting that it's only a few but having witnessed already their ability to congregate is then shocked by the mob he encounters. I slapped my head at this point as I knew this was coming a mile off.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 22:07 
Hello Hello Hello

DBSnappa wrote:
Atrocity Exhibition wrote:
After a slightly shaky start with the conversation in the cop car, I thought the main protagonist panned out pretty well.

He didn't do anything massively stupid (setting off down the pitch black stairs with just a book of matches when the zombies were trapped behind a padlocked door wasn't genius though), he came round to a grim acceptance of the situation in a reasonably believable fashion, and whilst they put in some suspect super-healing of his gunshot wound going on we don't really want to watch weeks of rehabilitation when there are zombies around.

We also have to assume that some stuff happens off screen, it goes without saying that as his day and night with the dude and his son progressed, they talked a lot and he was convinced that it was all real, especially considering what he'd seen with his own eyes prior to that.

I know nothing about the comics and indeed have never laid eyes on a single one, but I do like my zombie films and The Walking Dead got more right in its first episodes than most 'proper' films manage in their entire running length.

By the end of it I felt emotionally invested in the main character, his former partner and their friends, and also the dude and his son - it wasn't perfect by any means, but I'm interested to see what happens next and where the story goes.

My biggest complaint was CGI blood, which never, ever, looks convincing. Can it really be better/cheaper to use CGI blood over a $10 squib?

It might be worth spoilering some of that.

Anyway, my concerns were the fact that a trained law officer, regardless of his daze after coming out of a coma (we don't know how long he was out, but quite a few weeks I would imagine, which would negate the worst of the gunshot wound healing problem), proceeded to walk through a fucked hospital with all the sharps over the floor, through a war torn environ to his house, for ten minutes of episode time, without feeling the need to put anything on his feet or put any clothes on. This felt simply like an art direction choice rather than a logical one — marvel at our set dressing, while a too buff for his condition Andrew Lincoln moseys around in a pair of Jockey shorts and a hospital robe. He then encountered Lennie James and after being attacked and recuperating, proceeds to ask no questions. Then we have to deal with the clunking scene with his patrol partner and the scene where they do three things, two of which are simply plot mechanisms which are patronising. They establish that Atlanta is a bad place to go, which is where our hero is going, they establish that patrol partner and principal character's wife are getting it on, which leads us to flimsily surmise that is why principal character was abandoned to his fate in the hospital when the town was evacuated. Then we have to deal with a trained law officer blithely riding past a few zombies, noting that it's only a few but having witnessed already their ability to congregate is then shocked by the mob he encounters. I slapped my head at this point as I knew this was coming a mile off.

Oops yes spoilers done.

I'm not fundamentally disagreeing with your points, they're all valid, but I came to this from the perspective of knowing I was watching the start of a series, and that there are going to be bits of it that are a shade on the clunky side.

More importantly, I'm painfully aware that a good chunk of mainstream cinema and TV output is utter fucking shite these days, and has been for years, which is partly why I've got far more interested in world cinema recently, although I can't say I've done the same for telly.

On its own, The Walking Dead got off to a pretty strong start IMO, and considering the competition its up against, it's head and shoulders above much of the rest.

They set a lot of stuff off in motion (and you have to remember the evilness of the US syndication system, they'll cancel shows without blinking), and they had to get a lot in to make a 'strong' first episode (i.e. enough actions and zombies and 'easy wins' if you will), I still say this is going to settle down into a really great series - Darabont's cinema work shows how he likes to tell a tale the long way but has been limited by the 2 to 3 hours format of film.

You only need to look at the likes of 28 Weeks Later to see how much they can fuck things up in true studio fashion, following the brilliance of 28 Days Later.

Post subject: The Walking Dead
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 0:36 
baron of techno

Well, I thought it was excellent. The protagonist Egg isn't the sharpest tool in the box, and yes the setups are obvious but it's a refreshing change to see someone realistically use machinery and technology to their advantage instead of running about like a headless chicken.
It should go awesome from here.

Yes, I was vexed with the bare feet in the hospital too but I actually think they do stuff like that on purpose to make you invest in it. As long as it's not overdone, that's OK.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:33 

DBSnappa wrote:

I think that made perfect sense that he just staggered around for a while and never stopped to consider shoes, he was convinced he was dreaming, as you would be really.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:32 

DBSnappa wrote:
they establish that patrol partner and principal character's wife are getting it on, which leads us to flimsily surmise that is why principal character was abandoned to his fate in the hospital when the town was evacuated
Your surmising is wrong, incidentally. Keep watching.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:38 

Did anyone else think they've changed this from the comics (spoiler to volume 4 of the comic, I think; be careful with this one)
That you become a zombie when you die regardless of how you die? And that whilst zombie bites kill you, they aren't responsible for zombification, which is inevitable? It was all the dead bodies outside the hospital, without obvious headshots, that suggested this to me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:44 
baron of techno

but lots of those bodies had half bricks lying beside their heads, I noticed.

I'm assuming you only turn into a zombie from being bitten by one, anything else would be crazy!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:47 

From Robert Kirkman himself (again, spoilers to quite late in the comics)
Quote:
...the rule is: WHATEVER it is that causes the zombies, is something everyone already has. If you stub your toe, get an infection and die ... you turn into a zombie. UNLESS your brain is damaged. If someone shoots you in the head and you die ...you're dead. A zombie bite kills you because of infection, or blood loss ... not because of the zombie "virus."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:34 
Excellent Painter

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:
they establish that patrol partner and principal character's wife are getting it on, which leads us to flimsily surmise that is why principal character was abandoned to his fate in the hospital when the town was evacuated
Your surmising is wrong, incidentally. Keep watching.

I am. My argument is that I think it's very risky if not downright misguided of the producers/writers/directors to assume everyone else will keep watching when the opening episode requires so much legacy knowledge for it make sense. I hope I'm wrong and there's a good chance I will be.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:37 
baron of techno

What legacy knowledge? It's basic zombie rules so far. No problems here.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:40 

DBSnappa wrote:
My argument is that I think it's very risky if not downright misguided of the producers/writers/directors to assume everyone else will keep watching when the opening episode requires so much legacy knowledge for it make sense.

Does it though?

Again, I've not seen it yet, but from the sounds of it, the plot very closely follows the comic book. In which case, maybe you're meant to think that maybe Rick was abandoned in the hospital so his wife could run off with his partner?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:52 

Zio -
the book, IIRC, doesn't reveal that Lori and Shane are at it until quite a bit later. They moved that forward.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:55 
Excellent Painter

Zio wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:
My argument is that I think it's very risky if not downright misguided of the producers/writers/directors to assume everyone else will keep watching when the opening episode requires so much legacy knowledge for it make sense.

Does it though?

Again, I've not seen it yet, but from the sounds of it, the plot very closely follows the comic book. In which case, maybe you're meant to think that maybe Rick was abandoned in the hospital so his wife could run off with his partner?

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I was referring to the fact that an awful lot was left unexplained or inexplicable, the characters were barely formed and the principal came across as a dumbass. The pacing was probably slightly too slow and the story needed to progress a bit further in that opening episode. I get the fact that it gets better, my argument is that that's a bit of a reach when you view the opening episode in isolation of any knowledge of the story from the comics. In other words, if you know nothing about the story then the first episode wasn't as good as it could have been, which is why I think it's risky to assume it'll run and run. American network TV is bloody ruthless and if this halves it's viewing figures after the first episode and doesn't recover it probably won't get recommissioned, regardless of how good you think it is or how much you love the comics.

I am going to watch the next couple of episodes, but that's down to you lot more than the opening episode if I'm honest, and I don't think my opinion on this is so wrongheaded to not be a possibility just because you lot love it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:01 

I think basically though it's zombies and there aren't any there zombie series. There's a huge appetite for it and it's already much better than it needs to be. Imagine if there was only one series about vampires, you could churn out any old shite and it would run and run.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:05 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Zio -
the book, IIRC, doesn't reveal that Lori and Shane are at it until quite a bit later. They moved that forward.

Ah, I believe you may be correct, now I think about it. Haven't read the first few issues in a long time now and I really should, as I always slightly preferred Tony Moore's artwork to Charlie Adlard's.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 0:43 
Hibernating Druid

Just finished watching episode 1. Fucking brilliant.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:37 
Excellent Member

I agree with the Zardominator.

I enjoyed that a whole lot.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:42 
Hibernating Druid

You're absolutely right.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:26 

I concur with this sense of enjoyment - t' was very good! I wonder how much they'll cover in these six episodes and whether or not the TV series story will deviate from the comics?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:37 
Gogmagog

Watched it, thought it was good. Don't care about comics.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:50 
ugvm'er at heart...

Watched it, thought it was good but very slow. Picked up at the end though.
Comics shmomics.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 19:39 
Ready for action

Sky+d it, not home'til Monday night. Can't wait to watch it. Also got two episodes of The Event to catch up on, anyone else been watching that?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:19 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

So last week on holiday I read the first 66 issues of the comic (for some reason issue 67 didn't transfer so I have a few issues still to read) and I caught up with the first episode of this and have the 2nd 'waiting'.

On the whole very impressive , a few twists from the comic but nothing much

The radio being given to his 'neighbours' being the one i spotted but thats probably because i've only recently seen their future

Mentski wrote:
Watched it, and twas awesome.

I also noticed...
...What sounded like an "Achievement unlocked pop" when rick blew the brains out of the cop at the chain link fence, Other people heard it too. I'm not mad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4JD7Cliu7g

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: 20g - Headshotted zombified former work colleague

Sure it could just be a happy aural accident, but it made me play it back multiple times when I first heard it to see if i was mad or not.

I spotted (heard) this as well and had a double take of - did that really happen ?

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Did anyone else think they've changed this from the comics (spoiler to volume 4 of the comic, I think; be careful with this one)
That you become a zombie when you die regardless of how you die? And that whilst zombie bites kill you, they aren't responsible for zombification, which is inevitable? It was all the dead bodies outside the hospital, without obvious headshots, that suggested this to me.

Now without reading the thread I was looking very closely for this and on a lot of the bodies that it showed you outside the hospital there was either a red smudge on the head or some dark markings on one side (i wonder if they managed to condense it down a little into something more clinical for them ?) , I also waited for the very first body he saw - that dismembered woman to start moving since her head was intact

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:54 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Who first came up with the old "Wake up from a coma and the world's gone to pot" plot device? My puny human brain thinks it was Wyndham in "Day of the Triffids" but I'd be happy to be corrected. It seems a slightly lazy way to skip all that "World is falling to shit" story and jump straight to "World has fallen to shit". But I liked Episode 1 a lot, mainly because I like zombies I think. Although the wife did spend much of the time shouting "Watch out Egg!" at the TV.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:56 

Squirt wrote:
It seems a slightly lazy way to skip all that "World is falling to shit" story and jump straight to "World has fallen to shit".
Well, it is. But also it allows them to shorthand through the "ZOMG I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING" stuff which (let's be honest) we've seen hundreds of times and into the more novel "we need to find a way to survive in this hostile new world" territory.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:27 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Squirt wrote:
It seems a slightly lazy way to skip all that "World is falling to shit" story and jump straight to "World has fallen to shit".
Well, it is. But also it allows them to shorthand through the "ZOMG I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING" stuff which (let's be honest) we've seen hundreds of times and into the more novel "we need to find a way to survive in this hostile new world" territory.

I always think the "surviving in a post-zombie world" bit is more interesting, and I guess having a protagonist who is as new to the situation as the viewer allows for back-story explanation by other characters without it sounding odd. They've been fairly good with that so far - haven't laid it on too thick. Courtyards full of corpses tell you pretty much everything without having to spell it out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:33 
baron of techno

superdupergill wrote:
Sky+d it, not home'til Monday night. Can't wait to watch it. Also got two episodes of The Event to catch up on, anyone else been watching that?

Yeah, I've watched the first two and it seems OK so far.
It does stand a high chance of going the way of Flash Forward, i.e. completely stagnating once the basic plot device is established,
but there's probably enough new about these Aliens to keep things interesting.

The head Alien - what was she in? I just can't think of it.

(edit, oops, thought this was general purpose TV!)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:34 
INFINITE POWAH

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
the more novel "we need to find a way to survive in this hostile new world" territory.

Novel?

Mad Max 2 and 3, Land Of The Dead, Book of Eli, The Road, etc etc.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:37 

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
the more novel "we need to find a way to survive in this hostile new world" territory.
Novel?
Within the zombie subgenre, yes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:39 
INFINITE POWAH

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Novel?

Hmmm. Well, Land and Dawn would cover that, I'd say. Land moreso, admittedly, but the original Dawn was very much about getting on with things with zombies wandering around. Hell, come to that, so was Day.

EDIT - also, Resident Evil: Apocolypse.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:44 
ugvm'er at heart...

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Novel?

Hmmm. Well, Land and Dawn would cover that, I'd say. Land moreso, admittedly, but the original Dawn was very much about getting on with things with zombies wandering around. Hell, come to that, so was Day.

Zombieland
28 days later

I'd say it is rarer to see the zombie apocalypse actually starting up these days!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:47 
INFINITE POWAH

Trooper wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Novel?

Zombieland
28 days later

I'd say it is rarer to see the zombie apocalypse actually starting up these days!

OBJECTION! I'll give you Zombieland, but 28 Days Later is so soon after the Rage outbreak as to effectively be during it.

Also, I think the Doc is getting at things showing how society continues long-term after the zombie-lypse, rather than individuals, necessarily. Zombieland, for instance, is really about individual survival. I think the only film that's done a proper "what happens to human society after the zombies, what replaces capitalism and government and nations" is Land of the Dead. And that was shite.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:49 
baron of techno

I was going to say "28 weeks". Sean of the Dead also has that section at the end about life after it's all calmed down again (everything basically back to normal) but this is probably scraping the bottom of the barrel.

If only Dimrill were here ;(

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:51 

zaphod79 wrote:
I spotted (heard) this as well and had a double take of - did that really happen ?

Bugger, forgot to listen out for that! I recorded it though, so I'll have another look when I get home.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:51 
INFINITE POWAH

kalmar wrote:
I was going to say "28 weeks".

That's after the zombies have all died out, though, and so it's more of an "oh noes! it's another outbreak!"

[/quote]but this is probably scraping the bottom of the barrel.[/quote]

Indeed. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:53 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

I'm going to refer back to Day of the Triffids again ( contentious idea : Triffids ARE zombies ). That went on for years and years after everything went to pot. Society was almost back on it's feet again, albeit only on the Isle of Wight.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:56 
INFINITE POWAH

Squirt wrote:
I'm going to refer back to Day of the Triffids again ( contentious idea : Triffids ARE zombies ). That went on for years and years after everything went to pot. Society was almost back on it's feet again, albeit only on the Isle of Wight.

Very true, but they weren't zombies. Having lost the argument, Doc has moved the goalposts. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:04 
Excellent Member

kalmar wrote:
ISean of the Dead also has that section at the end of life after it's all calmed down again (everything basically back to normal)

Hehe! That's the first thing I thought of.

Yeah, I think the survivalist stuff is more interesting than being caught up in the initial outbreak, that's more of a horror fest isn't it? Being chased by zombz and running round like a dick without a game plan and being all sentimental about shit. I wouldn't trust anyone, you never know if they're going to get you killed by doing something retarded and the survivors in this so far aren't paranoid or selfish enough for my liking.

That's what I liked about Zombieland, I thought that was ace. There was a fair bit of paranoia in that too, every man for himself thinking, which is probably what it would be like. I want to know what to do in the face of zombie apocalypse because it's only a matter of time....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:07 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Trooper wrote:

OBJECTION! I'll give you Zombieland, but 28 Days Later is so soon after the Rage outbreak as to effectively be during it.

I object to that objection. It's a month on, and almost everyone is dead or nuts.
He wakes up, and he's on his own.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:10 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Trooper wrote:

I object to that objection. It's a month on, and almost everyone is dead or nuts.

One month? Hardly enough for mankind (or at least Britain) to have settled into a new paradigm of society.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:12 
Hibernating Druid

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
One month? Hardly enough for mankind (or at least Britain) to have settled into a new paradigm of society.

You wouldn't understand. You weren't at the Lakes meet, man.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:12 
INFINITE POWAH

Zardoz wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

You wouldn't understand. You weren't at the Lakes meet, man.

I said mankind, Z.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:14 
baron of techno

flis wrote:
I want to know what to do in the face of zombie apocalypse because it's only a matter of time....

Living on the IoM probably helps!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:15 
INFINITE POWAH

kalmar wrote:
flis wrote:
I want to know what to do in the face of zombie apocalypse because it's only a matter of time....

What, for practice?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:16 
baron of techno

:DD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:25 
Excellent Member

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
kalmar wrote:
flis wrote:

What, for practice?

Shut it west country boy.

We'd be fucked if they don't close the ports at the very first sign of anything being wrong (they were pretty on the ball with foot and mouth disease a few years ago though) as there is literally nowhere to go that the zombies wouldn't find you eventually, although I'd be more worried about survivors in the long term.

I think I'd prefer a zombie apocalypse to any other tbh, at least there'd be something outside keeping all the other people in....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Isn't that what the film was about, though?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:30 
INFINITE POWAH

flis wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
kalmar wrote:
flis wrote:

What, for practice?

Shut it west country boy.

:kiss:

Quote:
We'd be fucked if they don't close the ports at the very first sign of anything being wrong (they were pretty on the ball with foot and mouth disease a few years ago though) as there is literally nowhere to go that the zombies wouldn't find you eventually, although I'd be more worried about survivors in the long term.

I think I'd prefer a zombie apocalypse to any other tbh, at least there'd be something outside keeping all the other people in....

It depends what sort of zombies you have - if you have the Land of the Dead ones, then anyone who dies turns into a zombie, whether they've been bitten or not*, so you'd be fucked regardless.

Grim... wrote:
Isn't that what the film was about, though?

Eh? Sorry, I'm being dense. Is it about the fact society hadn't had enough time to absorb the effect of teh Rage virus and settle into whatever long term pattern was going to emerge?

*Which is also another reason why that film's fucking stupid.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:43 
baron of techno

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
It depends what sort of zombies you have - if you have the Land of the Dead ones, then anyone who dies turns into a zombie, whether they've been bitten or not*, so you'd be fucked regardless.

*Which is also another reason why that film's fucking stupid.

See also, appositely:
The Walking Dead

, according to Doc.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:43 

Spoilers!

Reply to topic  [ 1659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34  Next