Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Walking Dead
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:35 
Sleepyhead

I think the people who don't like this are just a bit slow in the head.

The show has its flaws, and I'll write more about that when I'm not at work, but it's probably the best thing on telly at the moment, and having watched eps 3,4 and 5 all yesterday, I was climbing the walls wanting to watch #6.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:40 

It's alright, not bad but not great. It's not the best thing on telly. For example Boardwalk Empire and The Trip are two things that I've been looking forward to each week with far more anticipation.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:02 
Hibernating Druid

I'm still enjoying it. Pretty good having this, The Trip and Misfits all on at the moment.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:08 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Curiositree wrote:

The show has its flaws, and I'll write more about that when I'm not at work, but it's probably the best thing on telly at the moment, and having watched eps 3,4 and 5 all yesterday, I was climbing the walls wanting to watch #6.

You love all the shite on telly though :kiss:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:11 
INFINITE POWAH

Nemmi - yep, it was a fake that needed a password which could only be unlocked after going through a load of marketing stuff and signing up to X Y and Z (which I didn't do, of course, and it was this that made me realise it was a fake, checked the US showing date and then got annoyed I'd stayed up to 1am to watch a dummy file).

Will be off to TPB in a day or two for the real ep6.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:59 
baron of techno

I've got 6, just haven't bothered to watch it yet :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:03 
INFINITE POWAH

kalmyrrh wrote:
I've got 6, just haven't bothered to watch it yet :)

Why, hello there! Could I please bother you for a lendsies again? :luv: :luv:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 0:32 

Episode six was an improvement, but I'm not sure I can see myself continuing with this.

Also:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I'm seriously bored of people escaping colossal explosions by running a few metres and hiding behind some sandbags.

Post subject: The Walking Dead
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 0:45 
baron of techno

Yeah it was a bit of a letdown.

They could have done some interesting stuff with the CDC place, but chose to make some tedious character development before a boring and obvious conclusion

Just IMO, others will rave about it no doubt.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:15 

Yeah I thought matey boy was going to try and use one of them for his experiments or some such, as it was the whole thing was pointless.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:15 
SavyGamer

Definitely enjoyed this series all the way through. I'd say it did feel a little rushed in parts, and there was maybe not quite enough zombies. The CDC thing was pretty wierd, and I'm not quite sure the timeline for everything quite adds up.

I guess I'll watch the next series too. Hopefully it is as good or better.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:37 
Meh

I enjoyed episode six and like a lot of TV its good fun as long as you don't think about it too much. When you do that its easy to find plot holes and inconsistencies that can ruin the whole experience.

I thought the MRI scene was particularly good

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:35 

Started off really good first episode was excellent but the last episode reminded me of survivors (bbc tv). 6 Episodes is all there is for Season 1. Season 2 is 13 episodes so lets see what they can do with that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:41 

Ep6 disappointed me, to be fair.
I don't need pseudoscience half-explanations for the zombies; that only makes it weaker because it calls attention to how little sense they make. I did like TS-19 being Jenner's wife, but that was awfully telepgraphed. The entire standoff between Jenner and our gang felt rather contrived; one minute Jenner is welcoming them, the next second he's potentially a multiple murderer. It didn't sit right for me. I can buy his willingness to commit suicide, but not the requirement that people go with him.

I liked the bit with Shane and Lori though. They've really slowed down the pace of Shane's unhinging compared to the comic, but I think they are going to the same place with it.

I could have done with ropey explosion CGI too.

People who haven't read the comic might be interested to know that not one single bit of ep6 was in it. I am interested in what season 2 will bring though. I wonder if they'll have the cojones to keep it as harrowing as the comic, though, such as (spoilers for comic, not show):
that town of survivors they find where they feed people to zombies for sport and that nutbag leader; or the colossal death count in principal characters.

I also wonder if series two will focus on
the prison.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 13:05 

Doctor Nadolig wrote:
Ep6 disappointed me, to be fair.

People who haven't read the comic might be interested to know that not one single bit of ep6 was in it. I am interested in what season 2 will bring though. I wonder if they'll have the cojones to keep it as harrowing as the comic, though, such as (spoilers for comic, not show):

I think I may have to have a look at the comics then.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 13:05 
INFINITE POWAH

The comics are brilliant - I'm two volumes in and can't wait to pick up the next one.

The last epiosode of this was a bit pointless, I thought. Did they get told at the last minute they only had 6 episodes? Seemed rushed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 13:08 

GoodKingWrongceslas wrote:
The comics are brilliant - I'm two volumes in and can't wait to pick up the next one.

The last epiosode of this was a bit pointless, I thought. Did they get told at the last minute they only had 6 episodes? Seemed rushed.

I think the initial order was for 6 episodes, they did not know if it would take off. But the 2nd season should hopefully be better.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 13:16 

Further to one of DocG's spoilers up there, I'm too wondering if they have the stones to show
Michonne's rape and the revenge she later takes out on her attacker.

That whole bit was easily the most harrowing part of the comic so far. A female friend of mine had to skip the actual pages where the first part of that unfolded.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 13:22 
PC Gamer

Curiositree wrote:

The show has its flaws, and I'll write more about that when I'm not at work, but it's probably the best thing on telly at the moment

Well, much as it stings to have my taste questioned by a fan of Lie To Me, I'll somehow find the strength to struggle on. :p

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 14:34 

If this thing didn't have zombies in it then nobody would give it the time of day.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 14:40 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Well, it'd just be a bloke walking around in America.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 14:42 

Say it was the same cast of wandering dullards only instead of being chased by zombies they were just in some other sort of peril, it wouldn't even have got commissioned.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 14:44 
baron of techno

There is a very similar looking series on Sky at the moment (or recently) about survivors of some sort of disease outbreak, in the USA. I don't think we've mentioned that at all...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 14:45 

I mean don't get me wrong I'm watching it too but really only because it's zombies and for some reason like most people I like zombies and the zombies in this are pretty fucking good. But all the other aspects of the show seem to be only exactly as good as they need to be and precisely no better than that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 14:48 
baron of techno

Man's got a point. It's generic drama with added Zombies.

I mean, the characters in L4D are more memorable than this bunch. And it has better zombies!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 14:48 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

markg wrote:
Say it was the same cast of wandering dullards only instead of being chased by zombies they were just in some other sort of peril, it wouldn't even have got commissioned.

I have to say, I somewhat agree with Mark on this. None of the cast are shining out to me as putting in a real quality performance. The setting and direction are great, but the casting isn't thrilling me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 14:49 
INFINITE POWAH

Crasmas Pudding wrote:
markg wrote:

I have to say, I somewhat agree with Mark on this. None of the cast are shining out to me as putting in a real quality performance. The setting and direction are great, but the casting isn't thrilling me.

Then you're a broken headed wrongaloid.

The atmosphere, tension etc has been very well done (except perhaps ep 6). And Egg is brilliant.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 14:52 
baron of techno

Egg is just Egg.
Best actor was probably the redneck they left up on the roof. And wtf happened to him? I was expecting a vengeance call at any minute.
They should have at least left him as a gnawed skellington on the roof, just disappearing is a complete cop-out.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 14:56 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It is a little astonishing that we never saw him again. Especially considering they're now some distance from Atlanta, so would be a bit of a fiddle bringing him back in next series.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 14:57 
INFINITE POWAH

kalmyrrh wrote:
Egg is just Egg.

That's what I said.

Quote:
Best actor was probably the redneck they left up on the roof. And wtf happened to him? I was expecting a vengeance call at any minute.

yeah, me too. another thing pointing towards teh 6 episodes being a surprise to the writers.

The bits in episode 1 with the black chap and his son were brilliantly well done. I also liked the bits in the camp by the pool with the wimmins vs the redneck. Others also. My point, so far as it goes beyond abusing Craster, is that the series did do a number of things well beyond just having zombies in it. Much more so than a lot of other US TV knocking aobut, e.g. The Event

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 14:58 

kalmyrrh wrote:
Egg is just Egg.
They should have at least left him as a gnawed skellington on the roof, just disappearing is a complete cop-out.

I have suspicions about what they're intending to do with him. I get the feeling that he may be used in place of a different character from the comics later on in order to give him some kind of background.

In other words...
I think they might use him as the batshit mental leader of that town.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 14:59 

Zio: oooooh!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 15:08 

Crasmas Pudding wrote:
It is a little astonishing that we never saw him again. Especially considering they're now some distance from Atlanta, so would be a bit of a fiddle bringing him back in next series.

He appeared to leave Atlanta long before the others though.

I don't think it's as good as I was hoping it would be. I haven't seen Ep. 6 yet, so I'll reserve judgement on that though. For me, the biggest problem has been having a larger number of survivors than the group from the comics, simply as that then sets some of them up into obvious redshirt-esque zombie fodder. Whereas you never quite know who will and who won't survive in the comics. It also means you don't get the time to invest as much emotionally into the characters that are there, so they become harder to care about. I genuinely found some of the deaths in the comics to be a real blow - I liked that character! I didn't want him/her to die!

If anyone here is considering trying the comics, get them in book form. Don't be an idiot and buy them in monthly issues like I do - waiting a month for the next small morsel is murder.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:45 
Sleepyhead

You see, it's weird, but I think this is the best paced and most interesting dramatic series since The Wire.

I love that it gives you some things and doesn't necessarily finish them off. Were this a regular TV show, then the guy and his son from ep1 would have showed up to save the day already. The redneck with one hand would have wreaked his revenge already (though I did think maybe he shipped a load of zombs in the back of the truck to the camp... that would have been awesome).

It's a show that has thus far taken a very slow road in development of characters, and whilst the actions of episode 6 were compressed into too short a time for my liking, it was still really good, and tied in with what had gone before (Jenner having said he was going to kill himself, and wishing to spare the others the grisly fate potentially awaiting them).

What also interests me, especially, is them opening up potential plotlines and then closing them off. Fer chrissakes, they had a character who was psychic! And he died almost immediately (or so we think). To be able to open up a whole new world and avenue of possibilities and then shut them down... that's brave.

Also, when leaving camp, one family chose to go away from the main group. Was I the only one who saw the head of that family get bitten during the zombie attack? If he did, then what a marvellous way of showing it! Now maybe I'm overestimating the show and he didn't get bitten and I'm an idiot, but if he did then it's the most subtle and sinister character death going in years!

Anyway. In terms of the whole setting, tension, involvement and whatnot, I declare it the best dramatic series of the year.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:47 
Sleepyhead

Rodafowa wrote:
Curiositree wrote:

The show has its flaws, and I'll write more about that when I'm not at work, but it's probably the best thing on telly at the moment

Well, much as it stings to have my taste questioned by a fan of Lie To Me, I'll somehow find the strength to struggle on. :p

Lie To Me, whilst sometimes slightly formulaic, is excellently written and superbly acted.

Please name me many better episodic television shows so I can learn!

:)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:51 
baron of techno

Curiositree wrote:

Anyway. In terms of the whole setting, tension, involvement and whatnot, I declare it the best dramatic series of the year.

8)
Not even close for me. Comparing it to The Wire?! I'm sure you're projecting more sophistication into it than the writers have!

Watch 'Breaking Bad' and then tell me this has even one tenth of the tension and character involvement.

I don't mean to slag it off, it's OK, just think it's pretty bland considering.

Each to their own though :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:42 
Bad Girl

Curiositree wrote:
(though I did think maybe he shipped a load of zombs in the back of the truck to the camp... that would have been awesome).

I thought that he was going to do that. Shame, it turned out to just be a few passing zombs.

I watched the entire season over the weekend and it's the best telly since The Shield. I don't care it it's a load of so-called hackneyed zombie scenarios - I’m not aware of, or have seen, any Zombie TV series, so it remained fresh in my eyes. We don’t bemoan any sci-fi series simply because there we’ve all seen Star Wars or Star Trek dealing with the same subject do we. Plus I'm sick to death of series after series of Vampire bollocks capitalising on the success of Twylight, so its been a pleasant surprise to have a series dealing with something a bit more gritty than angsty teen emos.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:56 
Hibernating Druid

Finally watched the last of the series last night. Yeah, I can see why some of you aren't hitting your vinegar strokes with it but I think it was fucking brilliant.

More please.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:59 
Goth

I watched one and a half episode of this before finding it intolerably dull. I don't much care for Breaking Bad either though.

My favourite series are things like Leverage and Chuck.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:00 
INFINITE POWAH

I agree with zardoz, but without the wanking.

And also - nirjehenge has just proved us absolutely, incontrovertibly right.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:01 
Hibernating Druid

Yep.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 21:57 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I enjoyed the whole series (well, apart from episode 1 which I didn't get to see but will resolve at one point).

I also like Lori Grimes. Current favourite MIL..(Cuddle - Ed)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 22:02 

Episode one was the best. It showed promise, had nice pacing, and some good characters.

Lori is too thin and can only act out one emotion: flared eyes of death. She was crap in Prison Break, too.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 22:10 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It looks like below where the image cuts off, her body has been entirely replaced by that of a giant insect.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 22:14 
baron of techno

AND STILL THEY COME.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:21 
Hibernating Druid

*stands up and applauds half way through Kalmars post*

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:40 
Gogmagog

Well, that last episode was a bit of a let down, wasn't it?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:45 
Meh

Christmas Tsara wrote:

No.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:56 
Gogmagog

SnowNemmien wrote:
Christmas Tsara wrote:

No.

And they find the GOVERNMENT FACITILITY but it is empty apart from a man in there who wants to die and he tries to lock them in but he changes his mind, letting them go as MAYBE HE STILL BELIEVES IN HOPE apart from some who want to stay but change their mind and they run away and it blows up. THE END

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 14:33 
Meh

Christmas Tsara wrote:
SnowNemmien wrote:
Christmas Tsara wrote:

No.

And they find the GOVERNMENT FACITILITY but it is empty apart from a man in there who wants to die and he gives them more information about the state of things and explains more about the infection in detail[story development]. The guy who has been shagging his best friends wife nearly rapes her leaving her emotionally traumatised and angry[character development].Then the scientist tries to lock them in as he believes there is no hope for anyone but he changes his mind, letting them go as MAYBE HE STILL BELIEVES IN HOPE apart from some who want to stay but changes their mind when she realises that somebody cares enough about her to sacrifice themselves (character development) but one stays because she has completely given up and they run away and it blows up. THE END[to be continued]

Reply to topic  [ 1659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 34  Next