Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Walking Dead
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 17:38 
INFINITE POWAH

DBSnappa wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Malaboob wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
What?!

He's EGG FROM THIS LIFE, malaboob. How could you not know he's a brit?

God, kids today etc.

I haven't seen that, obviously ;)

I find it a lot more difficult to spot Brits acting as Americans than the other way around.

Lee Adama in Battlestar Galactica is British.

You just reminded me that I saw this last week. Remind me again who it is that thinks Katee Sackhoff is sexy?

I'll post the link as I'm not sure if some people might find a shot of three actresses in bikinis NSFW

http://blog.photos2view.com/2009/01/15/ ... bikini.htm

That'd be me.

I will be clicking on that link as soon as I get home. Hummana hummana.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 17:39 
ugvm'er at heart...

DBSnappa wrote:
You just reminded me that I saw this last week. Remind me again who it is that thinks Katee Sackhoff is sexy?

I have seen her in real life, she is definitely sexy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 17:43 
Excellent Painter

Oh, I don't doubt that, but in that photo she's sat with Tricia Helfer and Grace Park. There is no competition IMO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 17:50 
ugvm'er at heart...

She was sat next to Jolene Blalock at the time, which she should have come off worse after watching the respective shows. Yet Sackhoff was much much more attractive in person...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 18:37 
Excellent Painter

Trooper wrote:
She was sat next to Jolene Blalock at the time, which she should have come off worse after watching the respective shows. Yet Sackhoff was much much more attractive in person...

She has charisma in spades, that's evident watching her on TV.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 19:40 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Shame all those spades hit her in the mush.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 19:41 
Excellent Painter

You're on quite good form today!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 19:42 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

:kiss:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 19:45 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Craster wrote:

:DD

I'm sorry, guys, but I shan't stand by while you lot affirm Chris's freakish crushes ?:|

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 20:06 
Excellent Painter

I was being polite. I think Katee Sackhoff is too masculine for my taste. Each to their own.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 22:30 
INFINITE POWAH

Blimey - episode one was good. Best zombieage I've seen in a good long while. Hell, best TV I've seen in a while.

Now, if only there were some way of watching episode 2... ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 23:15 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Craster wrote:

Racist.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:00 
Ready for action

We watched episode one last night (after locking all the doors obviously). Really enjoyed it and looking forward to the next one!
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
During the first ten minutes or so when the coma guy was wandering around his house and stuff Jen and I kept furiously whispering shhhh! to the TV because he seemed to be being very loud. I really liked the bit with the dad trying to find his wife once he had the sniper rifle :'( and the cop going to find that first zombie he'd encountered.
Was a bit frustrated by the lack of questions he was asking because I was desperate to know what had happened but they did seem to be trying to make out he thought he was dreaming.
I didn't think that his wife and partner had abandoned him due to an affair, I assumed they had left him there because he was in a coma and couldn't leave and they couldn't make themselves kill him to protect him. I'm nt even sure I think they were having an affair prior to the zombie outbreak.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:42 
Goth

I liked Katee more in Bionic Woman where she was a crazy psychopath.

The only thing that impressed me with this show was the production quality. The storyline and scenario are as tired as a very tired thing. Seen one Zombie/series film you've seen them all.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 13:03 
Excellent Painter

Ep 2 was much better until it got to the

"oh noes, the rain will wash the smell off" bit. 8) :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 13:14 
Hello Hello Hello

I thought Episode 2 was pretty solid all around, some really tense moments.

You have to suspend disbelief with zombie fare and as long as things remain fairly consistent within the world I don't have a problem with what happens.

I was a bit less inclined to believe that the zombies would fall for the disguise in the first place than I was with the rain washing the smell away.

Definitely panning out to be a really good series, and Series 2 has already been commissioned. I prefer it to most of the utter fucking dross that passes for mainstream US film fare these days.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:28 
baron of techno

Nirejhenge wrote:
I liked Katee more in Bionic Woman where she was a crazy psychopath.

The only thing that impressed me with this show was the production quality. The storyline and scenario are as tired as a very tired thing. Seen one Zombie/series film you've seen them all.

I don't think the Zombie storyline is worn out, if anything it's the "generic survivor story" which lets it down. The politics and group dynamics of the people in the camp is the focus and it's all very predictable.
The bit where our guys abandon the loudmouth redneck on the roof, for example, classic moral dilemma, throw some racial tension in as well but it was all rather signposted.

I felt the the zombie stuff was a plot device as much as anything, in episode 2.

That said, it's still watchable and enjoyable.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:32 
Hibernating Druid

So is everyone saying Zombie fiction needs more brains?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 22:43 
Gogmagog

Episode two is one of the better bits of TV I have seen in a while.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:16 
Sleepyhead

Again, most things were signposted well in advance, but it's a fun ride so far.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:18 
INFINITE POWAH

I haven't seen it... *sniff*

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:49 
Ready for action

Watched episode two last night. I am easily pleased with television I think. I don't mind if something is signposted as long as there is still tension, or suspense, or just enjoyment from watching it. I'm sure if I'd read all the comics I would still watch this despite knowing what was going to happen.

I thought the bit with the guy on the roof was good. Surely the expected outcome there was that someone would free him before they left, or at least leave the saw or key within reach of him. I didn't expect that he would just be left there, despite in survival terms that being the best solution. The bit with the walking through the horde was tense enough and again even though it was obvious what was going to happen I was still hiding behind my cushion. I liked the bit with the sports car although he really should have done something about that alarm before he went speeding off, I do hope that he cuts it out soon. I know all about dramatic effect amd yadda yadda yadda but as someone who takes the potwential zombie apocaplypse very seriously, scenes like that bother me because I worry so much!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:54 

Interesting how far they are diverging from the comics - we already have, what, half a dozen more surviviors I think? Given how hard it is to develop characters in limited screen time I do wonder how many of them are going to make it out of series one!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:56 
INFINITE POWAH

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Interesting how far they are diverging from the comics - we already have, what, half a dozen more surviviors I think? Given how hard it is to develop characters in limited screen time I do wonder how many of them are going to make it out of series one!

That may well be exactly the reason there are extras - traditional zombie fare requires a fairly high body count, and the protagonist death rate in the WD comics probably isn't high enough for the TV's target demographic.

The bit
with the tank
in Ep1 was a brilliant divergence from the original though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:58 
Decapodian

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

I was wondering about that, as I've never read any of them.
I was tempted to buy the first few sets but didn't want to spoil everything for myself. If it's taking a very different path from the same basic premise I may give them a go.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:11 
Ready for action

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

I was tempted to buy the first few sets but didn't want to spoil everything for myself. If it's taking a very different path from the same basic premise I may give them a go.

:this:
I was considering adding the compendium to my Christmas list but didn't want to spoil the series too much for myself. Would those of you who have read it recommend it despite the series being aired?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:31 
baron of techno

superdupergill wrote:
I thought the bit with the guy on the roof was good. Surely the expected outcome there was that someone would free him before they left, or at least leave the saw or key within reach of him. I didn't expect that he would just be left there, despite in survival terms that being the best solution.

I suppose that wasn't totally obvious.
BUT -
I noticed the black guy spilled some tools from his bag as his tripped. Including a hacksaw, and I didn't see him pick it up again.

So, redneck is going to saw himself free, and cause trouble for them later. I reckons.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:36 
Ready for action

kalmar wrote:
superdupergill wrote:
I thought the bit with the guy on the roof was good. Surely the expected outcome there was that someone would free him before they left, or at least leave the saw or key within reach of him. I didn't expect that he would just be left there, despite in survival terms that being the best solution.

I suppose that wasn't totally obvious.
BUT -
I noticed the black guy spilled some tools from his bag as his tripped. Including a hacksaw, and I didn't see him pick it up again.

So, redneck is going to saw himself free, and cause trouble for them later. I reckons.

Yeah I noticed that as well but wondered if they were too far away. I don't disagree that it seems he'll survive though. Maybe someone else will bust the door down and save him by sawing through the cuffs after killing some zombs?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:12 

superdupergill wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

:this:
I was considering adding the compendium to my Christmas list but didn't want to spoil the series too much for myself. Would those of you who have read it recommend it despite the series being aired?

I'd definitely recommend the comics. 78 issues in and The Walking Dead is still the best comic series out there IMO. I recently read an interview with Robert Kirkman that suggested that, at the very least, the survivors and casualties will be different in the TV series to provide some surprise for those who are up-to-date with the comics and Episode 2 did deviate quite a bit from the comics.

Correct me if I'm wrong people, but Glenn was the only survivor Rick encounters in Atlanta in the comics, right? It's been a while, so my memory of those first few issues is a little on the hazy side.

One of the key elements to The Walking Dead comics is that Kirkman has never had a problem with killing off his characters. It's certainly not the typical Star Trek redshirt style of picking off the people in the background while the main characters always live to fight another day.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:13 

Zio -- yes, you're right.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 0:07 

Episode 3 was properly excellent BTW. I'm really enjoying the TV series so far and it's sufficiently different so far from the comics that it's no problem enjoying both separate of each other.

Edit: stupid auto-correct on my iPad.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 0:09 
INFINITE POWAH

Woe, woe, woe is me. I am bereft of episodes 2 and 3.

:'(

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:30 
Hello Hello Hello

Got Episode 3 lined up for tonight after the usual Saturday night Bad Company 2 blastathon.

For things such as this (The Walking Dead, that is), an Easynews account is the way to go. I never fuck about with P2P stuff to be quite honest, $10 per month to Easynews seems like a decent deal for the convenience and awesome search facility and guaranteed download speeds and being able to do it all in a web browser.

I'll buy the DVD boxset as soon as it's available so my conscience is clear.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 13:02 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Atrocity Exhibition wrote:
I never fuck about with P2P stuff to be quite honest, $10 per month to Easynews seems like a decent deal for the convenience and awesome search facility and guaranteed download speeds and being able to do it all in a web browser.

You should look at the Sickbeard/Sabnzbd+ stuff - automates the whole thing, effectively it's 'series record' for newsgroups. There's a thread on it somewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 0:47 
Hello Hello Hello

Didn't see Ep03 last night after all, but just watched it now, another cracker - in some ways I wish I'd have waited until the DVD boxset was out 'cause I don't want to wait another week to find out what happens next.

The zombies are becoming increasingly secondary to the story of the human condition, which in many ways is true to the origins of zombie tales in the first place, and certainly Romero's films - so it suits me fine. (But the presence of the zombies is consistent, gruesome, and always well handled.)

It's all a bit 'obvious' in some regards, and you can very well see what's coming a lot of the time, although I can't deny
seeing the fucking hillbilly wife-beater get splatted into a pulp was somewhat satisfying, even if it was the dude taking out his frustrations from elsewhere in some regards.

Roll on Ep04.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:29 
Gogmagog

Episode 3 was really good. it's everso well done.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:25 
Hibernating Druid

Yep. Loving it.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:20 
SavyGamer

4 was a bit good too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:28 
INFINITE POWAH

Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Poor, poor man.

Right - I'll take the jump - how do I, simply and easily, acquire an "evaluation copy" of this? Sorry for being such a retard about internetty things, but there we are. It's the cardigan.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 19:23 
Gogmagog

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Poor, poor man.

Right - I'll take the jump - how do I, simply and easily, acquire an "evaluation copy" of this? Sorry for being such a retard about internetty things, but there we are. It's the cardigan.

You can come to mine on a friday or sunday night and sit on the sofa and watch it with me. Bring beer.

Post subject: The Walking Dead
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 20:30 
baron of techno

I can't be bothered to explain how to set up the whole newsbin thing, as it's frankly not that simple and easy, but if you want to download them from my server again, just ask ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 22:12 
Hello Hello Hello

Just sign up at Easynews and use the global search here:

http://members.easynews.com/global4/search.html

Search for:

Code:
the walking dead s01e01

(Change the e01 bit to e02 or e03 depending on the episode you want.)

You'll get a load of results, click on 'ParViewer' next to a segment of a likely looking description, then click the auto-unrar and zip it into your download manager, hey ho, one DIVX ready to watch once it's downloaded, job done.

Easynews is awesome 'cause you can do everything in your web browser.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 22:24 

1x04 == awesome. That is all.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 23:37 
baron of techno

Yeah, pretty good.

I tell you what annoyed me a lot at the end of ep 3 though.

The guy is handcuffed to a duct and he has a hacksaw. He's got the choice of sawing through:
A) The 1/2" mild steel all-thread upright that the cuffs are attached to (would take a couple of minutes even with a blunt hacksaw),
B) The cuffs themselves (extremely difficult if not impossible since they're hardened) or
C) HIS FUCKING WRIST FOR FUCKS SAKE WRITERS, WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK???

Yeah I know it was just a plot device but seriously, that kind of thing annoys me, it's just lazy "movie science" bullshit.

Also they could be doing with stealing cars a bit more often. "Oh, our van's gone, let's walk until nightfall while the camp gets deadies all over"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 0:12 
Hello Hello Hello

kalmar wrote:
The guy is handcuffed to a duct and he has a hacksaw. He's got the choice of sawing through:
A) The 1/2" mild steel all-thread upright that the cuffs are attached to (would take a couple of minutes even with a blunt hacksaw),
B) The cuffs themselves (extremely difficult if not impossible since they're hardened) or
C) HIS FUCKING WRIST FOR FUCKS SAKE WRITERS, WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK???

Yeah I know it was just a plot device but seriously, that kind of thing annoys me, it's just lazy "movie science" bullshit.

I can't disagree with you there, the guy was up there for a day or more with a tool set including a hacksaw, I'm thinking he could have taken out the handcuffs instead of his own arm. Yeah it made for a nice dramatic shot and all with the music and the human drama, but I was still thinking WHY THE FUCK DIDN'T HE JUST TAKE OUT THE HANDCUFFS? They could have at least just left him with a penknife of some description so that he had to properly sever all the arteries and flesh and then break his own arm and disintegrate the bones to get out of there (i.e. destroying the handcuffs was impossible) - like has actually happened in real life, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aron_Ralston

I do love this series, it's quality viewing, but seriously, there's no need to just fucking drop the ball like that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:36 
INFINITE POWAH

kalmar wrote:
I can't be bothered to explain how to set up the whole newsbin thing, as it's frankly not that simple and easy, but if you want to download them from my server again, just ask ;)

That would be beyond kind of you, Kalmar - I didn't want to impose on you again, but if you'd be happy to do that I'd be very happy indeed!

Isn't Easynews a subscription thingy?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:39 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Right - I'll take the jump - how do I, simply and easily, acquire an "evaluation copy" of this?

Finally.

Click this: http://www.utorrent.com/downloads
Download the top one. Install.

Click this: http://bit.ly/fn0vKL
Open with uTorrent.
Wait.
Watch.

That's it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:43 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Right - I'll take the jump - how do I, simply and easily, acquire an "evaluation copy" of this?

Finally.

Click this: http://www.utorrent.com/downloads
Download the top one. Install.

Click this: http://bit.ly/fn0vKL
Open with uTorrent.
Wait.
Watch.

That's it.

Thanks chappy.

However, the problem with torrents, I've just realised by trying to do that, is that at that download speed I'd need to leave the laptop on for a day and a half. I may need to set up the desktop again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:44 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
I'd need to leave the laptop on for a day and a half.

So?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:45 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
I'd need to leave the laptop on for a day and a half.

So?

Well, you know, the environment and that. Kids.

Reavers!

Reply to topic  [ 1659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 34  Next