Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Walking Dead
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 15:14 
Sleepyhead

DBSnappa wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
People are allowed to think anything about it that they want.

I thought this series was good and Negan coming in was ace. Carol's story throughout the season was excellent, as was her acting.

I also think that there are plenty of very likeable characters in it too. Darryl, Abraham, Morgan, Carol, Maggie, etc. It's a criticism that was aimed at it about four seasons ago, since which there's been a tremendous amount of character development and growth.

But you're more than allowed to disagree.

Are they still collectively stupid though?

Oh god yes.

Apart from when they're cunning geniuses.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 15:14 
Gogmagog

DBSnappa wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
People are allowed to think anything about it that they want.

I thought this series was good and Negan coming in was ace. Carol's story throughout the season was excellent, as was her acting.

I also think that there are plenty of very likeable characters in it too. Darryl, Abraham, Morgan, Carol, Maggie, etc. It's a criticism that was aimed at it about four seasons ago, since which there's been a tremendous amount of character development and growth.

But you're more than allowed to disagree.

Are they still collectively stupid though?

Imagine a University Challenge. Walking Dead vs The 100

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 15:30 
Isn't that lovely?

I think

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
It was Aarron, as they seem to like to get rid of the newer characters, and he was the only newer one there.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 16:07 
Hibernating Druid

It's RuySan.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 16:09 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

MaliA wrote:

Yes! That was the comparison I should have made. Every single time there's a choice to be made you can absolutely guarantee they'll choose the glaringly obviously stupid one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 16:16 
Sleepyhead

Malc wrote:
I think

It was Aarron, as they seem to like to get rid of the newer characters, and he was the only newer one there.

Apart from
Abraham, Sasha, Rosita and Eugene, unless you count them as veterans.

Losing Aaron would be ridiculously anticlimactic, and also he's a good actor. His nano-impressions are ace.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 16:19 
Gogmagog

Cras wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Yes! That was the comparison I should have made. Every single time there's a choice to be made you can absolutely guarantee they'll choose the glaringly obviously stupid one.

Or the xtal maze

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 17:08 
Excellent Member

It was either a zombie or a badger that was walking by, or next season starts like nothing happened and no one died. That's usually how they solve the cliffhangers in the show.

And every character is more annoying than the other, except for Michonne, she's still fine.

And what's up with Carol? "Buhhh, i don't want to love people any more, because then i would have to kill more people". Then she kills all those men without any issues. Incredibly stupid scene btw. This show has the subtlety of a roundhouse kick to the face.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 17:19 
Isn't that lovely?

Curiosity wrote:
Malc wrote:
I think

Apart from
Abraham, Sasha, Rosita and Eugene, unless you count them as veterans.

Losing Aaron would be ridiculously anticlimactic, and also he's a good actor. His nano-impressions are ace.

I think they are more established than Aaron, I think it could be anyone (other than Rick or Karl because of the mention of feeding Karl's eye to Rick) but if I had to bet, it would be Aaron

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 17:21 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

If it's Myp doing the kicking, a roundhouse kick can be extremely subtle.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 17:35 
Gogmagog

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
If it's Myp doing the kicking, a roundhouse kick can be extremely subtle.

He's a lad that struggles to get his leg over

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 18:14 
Sleepyhead

RuySan wrote:
It was either a zombie or a badger that was walking by, or next season starts like nothing happened and no one died. That's usually how they solve the cliffhangers in the show.

And every character is more annoying than the other, except for Michonne, she's still fine.

And what's up with Carol? "Buhhh, i don't want to love people any more, because then i would have to kill more people". Then she kills all those men without any issues. Incredibly stupid scene btw. This show has the subtlety of a roundhouse kick to the face.

Without any issues?

Other than the complete mental breakdown she had?

Yeah, cutting herself off from those she loves and walking off to die so she doesn't have to be a killer. No issues at all.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:06 
Hello Hello Hello

Anyone watching Season 2 of FEAR THE WALKING DEAD?

I'm up to date with it now (five episodes so far) and after a fucking appalling first episode it's been..... not too bad I suppose.

It's clearly not got the budget of TWD and it does show with occasionally shonky CGI and a general paucity of SFX, although the actual zombies and gore are up to scratch. (When there are any....)

It's alright, worth the time it takes to watch is about as far as I'd go though.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:17 
Gogmagog

I am surprised that you haven't yet complained that the Zombies don't all have their trousers around their ankles in the quest for realism.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:47 
Decapodian

I thought the first season was excellent showing the start of the breakdown of civilisation, but the second seems to have rushed too far into total anarchy. Rather than doing something difference you've got more of the same show.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 19:25 
Hello Hello Hello

TBH I just don't think they've got the budget to do the premise justice. Even Season One very quickly got everyone holed up in the military guarded safe zone so that we could have a load of soap opera stuff instead of VERY EXPENSIVE witnessing the collapse of civilisation.

I mean, they've now got them out on the sea with bad CGI boats. There's a cheap way to do a zombie apocalypse story, put the protagonists in a place where there are no actual zombies.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 19:44 
Isn't that lovely?

Cani. Request fear the walking dead talk goes in the thread I have just posted please?

I have Amazon prime, so I can read about season 1, but don't want to read about season -anthem omens. (Anthem omens = at the moment )

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 20:36 
Decapodian

Well, I think that came very close (and probably has) to crossing a line for me. Zombie/human violence can be as gross as you like, but I don't want to watch realistic depictions of humans killing each other as entertainment.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 20:55 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Zombies are humans too, though. Just very ill ones.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 21:38 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

So much squelching

Title

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 21:57 
Excellent Member

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Well, I think that came very close (and probably has) to crossing a line for me. Zombie/human violence can be as gross as you like, but I don't want to watch realistic depictions of humans killing each other as entertainment.

I agree with you, but also Grim makes a good point as well. One of the harder ones to watch!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 22:18 
Hello Hello Hello

Fairly harsh stuff but I didn't find it any worse than the throat-slitting capers at Sanctuary.

The whole thing is pretty fucking grim though now, I know not everything one watches has to be 'entertaining' in the traditional sense but I do wonder if there's a point at which an ongoing saga like TWD crosses a line into being gruelling and masochistic.

See where the rest of the season goes I suppose.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 22:40 
Bad Girl

Hearthly wrote:
Fairly harsh stuff but I didn't find it any worse than the throat-slitting capers at Sanctuary.

Terminus.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 22:44 
Hello Hello Hello

Saturnalian wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

Terminus.

Oh yes, where did I get Sanctuary from I wonder.

The days of having nice chats with Hershel on the porch of the farmhouse seem a long time ago.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 22:45 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

The whole thing is a series of safe places that end up not being safe places that are pretty much interchangeable and just have different names?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 22:47 
Bad Girl

The episode was called No Sanctuary.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 23:16 
Hello Hello Hello

Cras wrote:
The whole thing is a series of safe places that end up not being safe places that are pretty much interchangeable and just have different names?

Well yes there is that of course.

I'm trying to get my head around the fundamental issue with TWD as it grinds on, and I'm wondering if it is just that it's basically telling the same story every season, with slightly different characters.

Post-apocalyptic yarns are as old as the hills, but generally speaking they have a defined arc, a beginning, a middle, and an end.

So you have the disaster itself, you have the rebuilding phase, probably some sort of showdown between good and evil, and then some form of closure. I think Stephen King's 'The Stand' is a classic of the genre, and I think the rebuilding phase is the most interesting, but what do we have as our premise for S07 of TWD given how it's just started? Just more of a gratuitous mess of horrendous human-on-human violence and revenge, really.

Season One of TWD was driven forward by them trying to get to the government facility thingy, there was a purpose. Since then we've had the same thing how many times? The farm, the prison, that place where the governor was, heading for Terminus, Alexandria (have I missed any?).

The zombies are almost irrelevant at this point, they chuck a few of them in periodically but they don't pose much of a threat, so we're left with a decaying world where humans do increasingly horrible things to each other with scarcely a chink of light in the darkness, and no promise or realistic hope that things are ever really going to get better.

Maybe the basic premise of the post-apocalyptic tale is a bad fit for season after season of telly, and is instead a better fit for a film, or a book, or a story that gets wrapped up in a season or two, rather than ending season six on the cliffhanger of 'who got beaten to death with a baseball bat', so we know that going into season seven that's what we'll be presented with.

When was the last time anything really hopeful happened? Even when they found Alexandria Rick was basically plotting a hostile coup right from the off because they were too nice to each other and baked cakes, and then they infiltrated one of Negan's outposts and killed the occupants in cold blood.

Having said all that I will clearly watch S07, but most likely with my jauntiest 'I'M NOT REALLY ENJOYING THIS' hat on. It's no Bojack Horseman, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:12 
Hibernating Druid

RuySan wrote:
It was either a zombie or a badger that was walking by, or next season starts like nothing happened and no one died.

Not quite.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:50 
Excellent Member

Ah! Indeed. I'd rather it was a badger. That was awful. To late to back now on this show.

And all that cruelty was just to show that negan is even more evil than the governor? This starts to feel like dragon ball z. All the seasons are the same except with stronger/more evil characters

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:53 
Excellent Member

Doesn't this forum supports Tapatalk? I got eye aids just from writing the previous post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:55 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

RuySan wrote:
Doesn't this forum supports Tapatalk? I got eye aids just from writing the previous post

It did, but we got rid of it because it was shit, and a load of stuff didn't work.

Describe your Eye AIDS and I'll see what I could prescribe.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:00 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
Cras wrote:

Well yes there is that of course.

I'm trying to get my head around the fundamental issue with TWD as it grinds on, and I'm wondering if it is just that it's basically telling the same story every season, with slightly different characters.

Post-apocalyptic yarns are as old as the hills, but generally speaking they have a defined arc, a beginning, a middle, and an end.

So you have the disaster itself, you have the rebuilding phase, probably some sort of showdown between good and evil, and then some form of closure. I think Stephen King's 'The Stand' is a classic of the genre, and I think the rebuilding phase is the most interesting, but what do we have as our premise for S07 of TWD given how it's just started? Just more of a gratuitous mess of horrendous human-on-human violence and revenge, really.

Season One of TWD was driven forward by them trying to get to the government facility thingy, there was a purpose. Since then we've had the same thing how many times? The farm, the prison, that place where the governor was, heading for Terminus, Alexandria (have I missed any?).

The zombies are almost irrelevant at this point, they chuck a few of them in periodically but they don't pose much of a threat, so we're left with a decaying world where humans do increasingly horrible things to each other with scarcely a chink of light in the darkness, and no promise or realistic hope that things are ever really going to get better.

Maybe the basic premise of the post-apocalyptic tale is a bad fit for season after season of telly, and is instead a better fit for a film, or a book, or a story that gets wrapped up in a season or two, rather than ending season six on the cliffhanger of 'who got beaten to death with a baseball bat', so we know that going into season seven that's what we'll be presented with.

When was the last time anything really hopeful happened? Even when they found Alexandria Rick was basically plotting a hostile coup right from the off because they were too nice to each other and baked cakes, and then they infiltrated one of Negan's outposts and killed the occupants in cold blood.

Having said all that I will clearly watch S07, but most likely with my jauntiest 'I'M NOT REALLY ENJOYING THIS' hat on. It's no Bojack Horseman, that's for sure.

I think S07 should be quite good, I can't see Rik and co becoming long term slaves of Negan. although they will have to play along for now as they are completely out numbered.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:05 
Bad Girl

Hearthly wrote:

Like most american television drama, y'mean? New season; new end of level baddie.

One of the reasons that TWD is so popular is that it subverts these tropes somewhat. Season 2 didn't have a main baddie at all; season 3 introduced the Gov only to have him rock up again in season 4 and have two entire episodes devoted to just him. Seasons 2 and 3 had the group attempting to fortify a safe place; seasons 1 and 4 had them looking for a safe place; season 5 had them travelling to Washington on a false hope, having that hope dashed before they were found and brought into Alexandria and season 6 had them fortifying Alexandria and coping with the zombie mass and rival groups.

Quote:

You've just summarised every season so far. You must be enjoying the TWD as it fits with your template for good story telling. Season 7 has started with The Disaster. You can't have the zombie apocalypse start every season so we have the main stars facing a disaster on an epic scale. I imagine we'll get some rebuilding next but it won't be putting up boards on windows; obviously.

I'm not sure exactly what you want from TWD. It's following the comics while still trying to present it in an original way that's interesting for those who know the fiction and those that don't. As I understand, while Negan is the main antagonist for this season his arc won't get resolved over the course of a single season (or half season) so this may satisfy your complaints.

Quote:
It's no Bojack Horseman, that's for sure.

It's hardly comparable but let's just see if that's just as compelling after 7 seasons/umpteen episodes. It already got flat towards the end of season 3.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:08 
Bad Girl

RuySan wrote:
All the seasons are the same except with stronger/more evil characters

You're wrong, of course, although recent seasons do have clear half-season change of direction.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:54 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Half way through season 6.... I have not read this thread so far, other than Hearthly torturing himself by watching :)

I am enjoying it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 20:28 
Gogmagog

Good example of man management and leadership, that Kevin.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 23:45 
Sleepyhead

Christ, that was harrowing.

I'm with Sat on this. Hard watching but I really 'enjoyed' it. Negan is a superbly entertaining evil bastard (Jeffrey Dean Morgan is one of my favourite actors).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:50 
Gogmagog

Morgan is superb. He brought real malice to it. As scary as the Governor? Maybe. Not quite as high ranking as Joffy B in the evil stakes, though. We live in a golden time for villains.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:07 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

MaliA wrote:
Morgan is superb. He brought real malice to it. As scary as the Governor? Maybe. Not quite as high ranking as Joffy B in the evil stakes, though. We live in a golden time for villains.

No Rickman, no deal.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:10 
Gogmagog

Cras wrote:
MaliA wrote:

No Rickman, no deal.

He was pretty evil in Love, Actually

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:47 

wow..... Caught up now.

Negan, is great

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 14:29 
Hibernating Druid

Quite a shift from Lovejoy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 16:19 

Made me chuckle

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 21:39 
INFINITE POWAH

This is just needlessly horrible. Even more than the comics. I'm bordering on giving up about 35 minutes in.

And "Parental discretion"? Who the fuck let's a non adult kid watch this?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 19:36 
Hibernating Druid

Non adult kid?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 19:51 
INFINITE POWAH

When my kids turn 19 they can watch what they like. I was thinking if I said "who lets their kids watch this" some smart arse would say "my dad doesn't mind" or something.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 20:01 
Isn't that lovely?

I watch this with my 15 year old son.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 20:01 
Isn't that lovely?

I watch this with my 15 year old son.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 20:41 
Sleepyhead

Twice?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 21:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

He spends half of it hiding behind the sofa.

Reply to topic  [ 1659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 34  Next