Hibernating Druid

Mr Dave is my Super Meat Boy.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

Post subject: Re: Super Meat Boy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 16:17 
Bad Girl

Wullie wrote:
So nothing like Mario then

Meat Boy's got another trick up his sleeve of course, his wall jump. No hang on, Mario's got that too.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that in terms of control SMB and SMB are virtually indistinguishable. Christ, even the initials are the same!

So there you go, exactly like Mario, if Mario had just snorted a bag of speed off the smooth back of filipino boy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 16:38 

Gouken, Ryu & Ken pretty much do the same moves, but... [pissing into the wind].

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 16:56 
Bad Girl

Don't be facetious. It's entirely legitimate to compare how two platforming characters RUN and JUMP. You were saying that the controls were "responisve enough" but "coarse" (for some reason) and twitchy and I'm telling you they're no less coarse than old Mario games. If you don't agree, then fine, I ain't interested.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 17:10 
Rude Belittler

Super Meat Boy is easily the worst game I have ever played in my life. Worse than frickin' Hugo.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 17:21 

Facetious? It's a shite debate about hee haw nanty :DD

ME: I don't like the controls.
IA: They're exactly like Mario's, but...
ME: But...?
IA: They ARE exactly like Mario's, but...
ME: Those subtle differences make a huge difference, but fuck it.
IA: IS THE SAME! >:( PS Here's a spelling mistake you made earlier.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 17:31 

WARNING: This game makes people angry.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 18:02 
SavyGamer

It's totally intentional that it has the same initials as SMB.

The trick that meat boy has that mario doesn't is the wall slide. Once you get used to it, you can slide really far up walls.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 23:58 
Kvnt

Just completed the demo at my uncle's house. He gave up after a few levels, and insisted I was possessed (partly because I am currently bereft of spectacles). The first two worlds aren't that hard! :P

Impressed with it, though! Think I'll buy it while it's going for 800. Will be using my SFIV Fightpad, of course. I'm pretty certain the standard d-pad was making things ten times harder this evening.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 0:51 
SavyGamer

I'm at:
Deaths: 7886,
Light World completion: 100%
Dark World completion: 94%
Total completion: 92%

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:00 

After being incredibly good fun up to this point, the level 4 boss is a long and tedious memory test and the person responsible wants shooting.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:05 
SavyGamer

I completely agree. That is the low point of the entire game for me. I called them out on it in my review.

It's a shame, but that is the only part of the game (I have found so far) that is like that, and it's not too hard, but kind of tedious.

Which is a shame, because it looks very cool.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:19 

I really hoped you were going to tell me I'm an idiot and there are visual indicators for what's about to happen. Oh well, back to it I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:26 
SavyGamer

The only thing I could possibly suggest (and I wasn't able to do it), I thought that one alternative strategy could be to just wall jump constantly off the side of platform, but I just died every time I tried that.

It's just trial and error, and learn the pattern.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:38 

I did wonder if you could keep jumping off the side, but I never tried it. I've done it now, it's not really that long, just annoying.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:04 

A fun little game but it is suicidally wobbling on the precipice of Rick Dangerous style frustration. Trails, anyone?

Cheer yourself up
Amiga Power Scans.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 19:34 

Pretty much all of world 5 is no fun at all as the game just does everything possible to try and kill you and leaves me with no desire to try again.
After the first four worlds I'm really disappointed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 20:12 

I'm still loving it muchly. HOWEVER, it's SEVERELY, SEVERELY marred by the bosses. They're a total game ruiner. You're not timed on them, they're Rick Dangerous unforeseen death bollocks and they're not even remotely fun. Why did they include them? Everything about this game is good barring the bosses.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 20:33 

I enjoyed the bosses up to the fourth one as they didn't make you feel like you were learning, and theoretically, you could do them first go. The fourth boss just makes you sit there and remember what it's going to do so you can be out of the way.
The introduction of
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
various homing things
in world 5 has taken a lot of the fun out of it for me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 20:40 
I forgot about this - how vain

Yeah I hope this boss is the nadir of the game. Cos it feels like it.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 21:11 
Bad Girl

It didn't take me that long to finish the chapter 4 boss, and probably less time than it took to do the stinking chapter 3 boss. I seemed to be lucky enough to find a spot where you could stand to avoid him smashing his hand down, and the multiple hand smashes and the head butt. Once you find that, all you need to do is avoid his swiping his hand across the screen.

The first four chapters were brilliant time attack levels but I'm just glad to be completing them on chapter 5. 5-4 has a real cunty jump up to the end of level right at the end, where you have to avoid a spinny blade that doesn't quite disappear into one side of the wall. It really fucked me off having to endlessly repeat a difficult middle section over two of those reverse magnet things just to die repeatidly to find the right technique.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 23:29 
Bad Girl

As of right now, I am officially No.60 in the universe at level 6-4! Yay me. Carry on.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 0:12 
Paws for thought

I think that chapter 5 is proving to be sufficiently not fun that I will not be challenging that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 0:14 
SavyGamer

Ian Fairies wrote:
As of right now, I am officially No.60 in the universe at level 6-4! Yay me. Carry on.

I'm down to just 51 overall now, down from no. 3 :(

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:24 
Hibernating Druid

The demo didn't grab me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:43 
Bad Girl

They should clean up the leaderboards. The amount of cheaty fucking 'zero' best-times is ruining my enjoyment of actually being good at this. Getting into the world ranks is surprisingly enjoyable though, even if my times will be crushed within a day or two.

I think if I was playing it as a single player game I'd be underwhelmed but the online leaderboards are just as compulsive as, say, Geo Wars.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:53 
SavyGamer

They already have a fix for the bug that lets you get 0.0 times, and will be clearing them all from the leaderboards shortly.

Edit: To clarify, it is a bug that some people are getting unintentionally, but other people know how to trigger it and have been exploiting it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:01 

Joans wrote:
I really hoped you were going to tell me I'm an idiot and there are visual indicators for what's about to happen. Oh well, back to it I guess.

There are. A guide to beating the shitty boss of chapter 4:
1) His expression changes before every attack. Looks sidesways for slides, sighs for head pounds and screams for multiple punches.
2) When he does the multiple punches attack he never hits the same space twice. So jump to wherever he first hits.
3) Survive till he hits his head three times.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:16 

Dr Lave wrote:
Joans wrote:

There are. A guide to beating the shitty boss of chapter 4:
1) His expression changes before every attack. Looks sidesways for slides, sighs for head pounds and screams for multiple punches.
2) When he does the multiple punches attack he never hits the same space twice. So jump to wherever he first hits.
3) Survive till he hits his head three times.

He looks before he swipes, but if you were standing in the place where he first stamps his fist then you're fucked.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:20 

Indeed. Shitty boss.

The game picked back up in chapter 5 though, so it's worth sticking with.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 14:03 

Dr Lave wrote:
Indeed. Shitty boss.

The game picked back up in chapter 5 though, so it's worth sticking with.

I thought chapter 5 was an abomination compared to the first four.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 14:30 
Honey Boo Boo

Played the demo, while it's fun and so charming I find there's a limit to how much of one of these indie puzzle platform games I can take. So in that respect I fear I shall have to file it with N+ and Gish as games I like the idea of but wouldn't enjoy playing enough.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 14:57 
Paws for thought

The boss of Ch5 is somewhat utterly hateful.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 15:46 
Bad Girl

This worked a treat for me:

Worm 1: From the start stand by the far right and wait as one worm jumps into the blades by himself. The other worms don't touch you at all when you're standing there.

Worm 2: Continue to stand on the right but jump up the vertical platform a few times, eventually another worm will jump right into the blades again (but be careful cause he'll throw those white things out when he does). If you land on the floor, the worms won't appear underneath you but you do have to jump occassionally as now one might dash across the screen which can kill you.

Using this technique you'll get rid of the first two in seconds (and probably after a couple of go's) and then have only the worry about the third.

Worm 3: When you're waiting for the third worm to pop up, run back and forth from the middle to the left/right edge (doesn't matter which) as you attempt to get the worm to appear in the middle when you're standing between the worm and the blades. A couple of attempts should see him eventually pop up and jump into the blades.

After playing this for an hour last night I imagine my death count now rivals The Deficit(tm) by now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 16:02 
Paws for thought

Ian Fairies wrote:
This worked a treat for me:

Worm 1: From the start stand by the far right and wait as one worm jumps into the blades by himself. The other worms don't touch you at all when you're standing there.

Worm 2: Continue to stand on the right but jump up the vertical platform a few times, eventually another worm will jump right into the blades again (but be careful cause he'll throw those white things out when he does). If you land on the floor, the worms won't appear underneath you but you do have to jump occassionally as now one might dash across the screen which can kill you.

Using this technique you'll get rid of the first two in seconds (and probably after a couple of go's) and then have only the worry about the third.

Worm 3: When you're waiting for the third worm to pop up, run back and forth from the middle to the left/right edge (doesn't matter which) as you attempt to get the worm to appear in the middle when you're standing between the worm and the blades. A couple of attempts should see him eventually pop up and jump into the blades.

After playing this for an hour last night I imagine my death count now rivals The Deficit(tm) by now.

Having spent ages

Killing the first worm by jumping to the left and getting it on it's first jump, then trying to get a second and failing

I eventually found a really cheap method:

Jump through the gap in the lower left blades, so the worms are on the other side of the blades and can't reach you, and so jump through the blades to try to get to you. The only thing that can get you is the shrapnel that flies out when they jump, but that's easily avoided

Fortunately, World 6 seems to be alot fairer than world 5. Very hard, but no cheap homing enemies, and I'm enjoying it much more than world 5.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 17:07 

Mr Dave wrote:
Fortunately, World 6 seems to be alot fairer than world 5. Very hard, but no cheap homing enemies, and I'm enjoying it much more than world 5.

Good, I'll persist on getting through world 5 then.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 17:39 
Paws for thought

I've also managed to unlock levels I1-20 somehow. They're also rather hard. But (at least of the ones I played) also more fun that Ch5.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 20:02 
Paws for thought

Final boss (light world, at least) Done complete.

More fun than the previous ones.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 20:50 

Mr Dave wrote:
I've also managed to unlock levels I1-20 somehow. They're also rather hard. But (at least of the ones I played) also more fun that Ch5.

Teh Internets? I think that was for 20 bandages (unless I did something at the same time to unlock it). I unlocked it a few days ago, but only just found them tonight. :facepalm:
In other news, I'm finally free of world 5 (apart from bandages, warps, A+ grades, the 3 other levels I haven't done, oh, and the dark zone :'( ).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 20:55 
Paws for thought

Chapter 7 is quite mean.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 22:42 
Bad Girl

I've done the first four levels of Chapter 7 and have virtually no desire to play on. Three out of four were pixel-perfect-jumpathons that almost gave me a nervous breakdown.

Total Deaths: 3889
Total Progress: 41% (WTF?)
Light World: 88%
Dark World: 28%
World Rank: 2650

But on the plus side, I've got a Super Meat Boy pet! Finally, a worthy successor to my weird Limbo thingy. Avatar awards are aces. Paying for them: not so much.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 0:43 

6-5. Argggh!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 0:58 
Paws for thought

Pah. T'is easy. 6-5X, on the other hand...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:22 
Best
Board Mother

proxy10 wrote:
somehow, it's raining meatballs?

Well it has been rather cloudy...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:10 

Mr Dave wrote:

How do you fall down after getting the key then?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:45 
Paws for thought

Dr Lave wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

How do you fall down after getting the key then?

You can either make very small jumps from wall to wall (Tricky, but a required technique for later dark worlds) or fall down the middle with very small adjustments.

It iis the hardest part of the level. Get past that and you may well be able to complete the rest first time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:56 
Hibernating Druid

Searching for some cock
Feel the rhythm in my socks
Them meat boy blues seem out of place
Now they want to party in my face
Dance dance on the floor dance dance move some more
Dance dance feel the heat
Hit that perfect meat boy, hit that perfect meat meat boy
I've got that feeling them meat boy feelings
I've got them feelings the perfect meat meat boy
I've got that feeling that perfect feeling
Jizzers all over me
Meat boy meat boy hit that perfect meat boy
Hit that perfect hit that perfect hit that perfect meat boy
Come on my moobs I want this to be
That perfect feeling all over me
Come on my gooch I want this to be
That meat boy feeling all over me
Too close for comfort too dry for joy
Boys in the back room their arses destroyed
Touch and kiss my colostomy gash if all else fails
Hiding from the dagger that's bent as hell
I've got them feeling the perfect meat
I've got that feeling that perfect feeling
Filthy custard all over me
Hit that perfect hit that perfect hit that perfect meat boy
Meat meat meat meat
Meat meat meat meat boy
Shit shit shit shit
Meat meat meat meat meat meat meat meat meat meat boy
I've got that feeling that perfect meat (meat boy meat boy)
I've got that feeling (that perfect feeling)
That perfect feeling all over me (like I'm a plasterers radio)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:13 
SavyGamer

Soundtrack

Pay what you want (£2.60/$3.99 minimum).

Or just get the (free) remixes. They're pretty cool.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:21 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

LewieP wrote:
Pay what you want (£2.60/$3.99 minimum).

That's clearly not 'pay what you want'.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:38 
Bad Girl

I was just thinking yesterday how great the music is for Chapter 7. It reminds me of standing idly in a smokey arcade many many years ago. It's still a shit chapter though and I've only done the first 6 levels now before rage quitting.

I might go back and do the dark worlds if Mr Dave's score creeps anywhere near mine.

Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next