Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Facebook
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 18:41 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

This is a long, dull story.

When I got my iPhone last september, the first thing I did was link contacts with Gmail. This was a mistake. It filled my contacts list on my iPhone with literally everyone I had ever emailed. So what I did was purge my Gmail contacts list back to relevant people, and relinked the two. Better.

Today I'm on facebook, and in the right hand bar was a friend suggestion for my ex-girlfriend. This was odd, as it wasn't a 'Someone says you should be friends with...'. It was Facebook generated. Only a search of my friends and review of her profile reveals she only has one friend, and it isn't anyone I know.

This confused me. So I clicked on the other suggestions link. In there, was the manager of the Big Chill Bar, a client, and the writers of The Guardian minute by minute Olympics coverage from last summer. The only link between these people is that I have emailed them from Gmail at some point in the past. However, they were cleared in the Purge from my Gmail contacts last september.

As an added detail, should you care, all emails to/from my ex went to a folder on Gmail. That folder was deleted and all emails trashed 2 years ago. So you can conclude that my Ex does not feature in my Gmail in any form, nor has she done.

The only reason that Facebook is making this link between me and these other people is that when I did a 'Search your email contacts for friends who may be on facebook' it has saved the contacts information. Incidentally, the Ex did not, and does not now appear in those results when I do a search, so it is not tracing that information from Gmail today.

Now, if I look on the page on that email search on Facebook, it very very clearly says 'Facebook will not store your data or contacts without your permission'. You lying fucking cunts.

In reality, I don't actually care that much, other than the complete and utter blatant lie. I'm not going to leave facebook out of principal because I actually like it for seeing photos and stuff. Thats the only reason, but reason enough. Nor can I be arsed going to the Information Commissioner. And I know that Facebook are legend for this abuse through their Ts&Cs, but I felt like a rant. And some of you may actually care enough, if you weren't already aware of it.

Rant ends.

Edit. It actually reads 'We will not store your password or contact anyone without your permission' Although I'm sure the old note read differently, I take back the allegation of 'Blatant Lie'. Although I am sure there is a data protection issue here.

Post subject: Re: Facebook
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 21:46 

If there is a data protection issue, one could argue that it's around whoever is in your Contacts List, not you. They've already got all your data, it's the people in your Contacts that should be annoyed ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:01 
Isn't that lovely?

Well I'm a little spooked, it's picked up a friend of the family as "someone I may know"

and yes, I do know them. But how does it know that I know them? we have no mutual friends. I'm not on anything like hotmail, gmail etc.

Could it be that they are on one of those, and they have my email, and that's what's linked me to them?

Malc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:07 

Malc wrote:
Well I'm a little spooked, it's picked up a friend of the family as "someone I may know"

and yes, I do know them. But how does it know that I know them? we have no mutual friends. I'm not on anything like hotmail, gmail etc.

Could it be that they are on one of those, and they have my email, and that's what's linked me to them?

Malc

I had a similar thing when it suggested my (soon to be ex-) step mother. No friends in common, and I've only ever added people manually. I must be on her hotmail contacts.

At that point, I really wished Facebook had a "fuck off" button.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:10 
there was a notice saying that people can have usernames which makes it easier to find friends and contacts... how is something easier than THE PERSONS FUCKING NAME to identify them?
I hate the way it's trying to be twitter.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:12 

nickachu wrote:
there was a notice saying that people can have usernames which makes it easier to find friends and contacts... how is something easier than THE PERSONS FUCKING NAME to identify them?
I hate the way it's trying to be twitter.

Do you have any friends called John Smith?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:13 
no.

But when you type in john or whatever in the search bit, it gives you the list of people called john/have john in their name with a little picture.. it's simple enough.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:15 
Skillmeister

Four of them . They all wear green jackets and have a strange plastic collar on.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:16 
They all have smithy as a nickname.... it doesnt help

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:17 

nickachu wrote:
no.

But when you type in john or whatever in the search bit, it gives you the list of people called john/have john in their name with a little picture.. it's simple enough.

But sometimes the list can be pretty long - surely it would be quicker if you knew your friend John had the username BumWangler5000 it would speed things up a bit?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:19 
I dont see the point of it personally.

I wont have a clue what half of them change their nickname to, it'll just add more confusion.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:27 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Nik wrote:
nickachu wrote:
no.

But sometimes the list can be pretty long - surely it would be quicker if you knew your friend John had the username BumWangler5000 it would speed things up a bit?

but that is a fault with their search engine, it has no advanced features to the extent that you can't even narrow down by country.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:33 
Unpossible!

Facebook usernames... sigh.

Cue endless hawtGurl1993 and buffman666 shenanigans.

I wonder is Crasty Craster is taken?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:33 

Bobbyaro wrote:
Nik wrote:
nickachu wrote:
no.

but that is a fault with their search engine, it has no advanced features to the extent that you can't even narrow down by country.

True, there are better ways.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:36 
but riles' point still stands.

I signed up with my uni email account and it's saying I should be friends with my former landlord, we have no friends in common, I presume it's from the emails Ive sent from that account or something, which is strange.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:37 

nickachu wrote:
but riles' point still stands.

I signed up with my uni email account and it's saying I should be friends with my former landlord, we have no friends in common, I presume it's from the emails Ive sent from that account or something, which is strange.

Or (see above) your landlord has let Facebook rifle through his contacts, one of which is you, and it's remembered you despite him not adding you as a friend. The cheeky so-and-so!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:44 
UltraMod

I'd delete my Facebook account if I weren't so reliant on it for seeing my friends' photos.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:53 

I hit the wrong button last night and inadvertantly became a 'fan' of Vimto. I don't even like the stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:01 

Kern wrote:
I hit the wrong button last night and inadvertantly became a 'fan' of Vimto. I don't even like the stuff.

Maybe you do now, and you don't realise it yet? Could be another example of Facebook knowing things it shouldn't.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:09 
Comfortably Dumb

Bobbyaro wrote:
Nik wrote:
nickachu wrote:
no.

I think it automatically shows the people nearest to you higher up the list which helps if you're looking for someone local but obviously isn't an awful lot of use if you want to add someone from further afield.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:11 
devilman wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:
Nik wrote:
nickachu wrote:
no.

I think it automatically shows the people nearest to you higher up the list which helps if you're looking for someone local but obviously isn't an awful lot of use if you want to add someone from further afield.

isnt it nearest/in the same networks?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:22 

I thought the idea of Facebook usernames was primarily so you could share your profile link with other people easier, i.e. http://www.facebook.com/BummerTriedToATree rather than http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?u=282u94823845234

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:23 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Riles wrote:
'Facebook will not store your data or contacts without your permission'. You lying fucking cunts.

I'd imagine you gave it permission when you told it to hunt through your contact book (in the small print, like).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:26 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
I'd imagine you gave it permission when you told it to hunt through your contact book (in the small print, like).

Don't let your fancy-schmancy facts get in the way of a RilesRantTM.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:27 

nickachu wrote:
no.

Unless they've got privacy settings that prevent them being in those searches.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:34 
Dudley wrote:
nickachu wrote:
no.

But surely those same privacy settings would be the same for the usernames aswell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:41 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

myp wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Don't let your fancy-schmancy facts get in the way of a RilesRantTM.

Hush now.

I don't doubt it is in the small print, what with their smart lawyers. I'm amazed that they keep it for over nine months though. If anything, it means I'll ignore their helpful suggestions in future, as if they consider sending one email to one person 3 years ago, which they last heard of a year ago, means that they might be a friend, then I suggest they reconsider their concept of friendship.

On the flipside, it'll well piss off the ex if she gets the reciprocal suggestion. Every cloud and all that...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:45 
Unpossible!

Who owns Facebook?
Who owns Twitter?
Who owns Myspace?

Imagine if they MERGED. (shudder)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:45 

nickachu wrote:
Dudley wrote:
nickachu wrote:
no.

But surely those same privacy settings would be the same for the usernames aswell

Probably but I was referring to the alternative being the "suggest a friend" stuff, which could suggest to you people you couldn't otherwise find if you tried. To get my mum to be able to add her friend with those settings I had to open up my mum's account briefly and send them a link to the public page, there was no other visible way for two people set private to find each other, even if I had the uid.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:07 
baron of techno

DavPaz wrote:
Who owns Facebook?
Who owns Twitter?
Who owns Myspace?
(shudder)

Gmail. Aaaah!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:39 
Comfortably Dumb

DavPaz wrote:
Who owns Facebook?
Who owns Twitter?
Who owns Myspace?

Imagine if they MERGED. (shudder)

MyTwitFace?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 14:43 

GazChap wrote:
I thought the idea of Facebook usernames was primarily so you could share your profile link with other people easier, i.e. http://www.facebook.com/BummerTriedToATree rather than http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?u=282u94823845234
Yes, it is.

DavPaz wrote:
Who owns Facebook?
Mostly privately owned by the founders, Microsoft have a small stake.

Quote:
Who owns Twitter?
Privately owned. The core team were also the team who founded Blogger and then sold it to Google for megabucks.

Quote:
Who owns Myspace?
News International.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 14:44 
baron of techno

devilman wrote:
MyTwitFace?

TwitMyFace
/partridge

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 15:01 
Skillmeister

MTFywaSicpteatBceoeeork actually.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:55 
UltraMod

I'm assuming everyone who still uses this has turned off the search indexing they've just opted everyone into? If not, it's in Settings -> Privacy -> Search.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:53 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

mypsletoe wrote:
I'm assuming everyone who still uses this has turned off the search indexing they've just opted everyone into? If not, it's in Settings -> Privacy -> Search.

Didn't they turn on search engine indexing a few years ago? Or have they made it more worser?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:41 
Comfortably Dumb

Grim... wrote:
mypsletoe wrote:

Didn't they turn on search engine indexing a few years ago? Or have they made it more worser?

They've brought in revised privacy settings to encourage users to share more of their data. When I logged in last week or so, I was presented with the options of what I wanted to share. However, if I chose their defaults, it would share status updates and a lot more, whereas in the past you'd have had to be a friend to see that. So I imagine there's a fair few people who haven't realised their status updates are now public.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:46 
Unpossible!

I've just checked through my picture albums and pretty much all of them were set to 'Everyone'. I did not set them up like that, apart from the Kitchen pictures that I shared on here. Flipping cheek.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

devilsnowman wrote:
Grim... wrote:
mypsletoe wrote:

They've brought in revised privacy settings to encourage users to share more of their data. When I logged in last week or so, I was presented with the options of what I wanted to share. However, if I chose their defaults, it would share status updates and a lot more, whereas in the past you'd have had to be a friend to see that. So I imagine there's a fair few people who haven't realised their status updates are now public.

Yes, I did all that too. But I think they turned on search engine indexing some time ago.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Yeah, here we go - 2007: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/face ... xing/5590/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:03 
Paws for thought

Grim... wrote:
mypsletoe wrote:

Didn't they turn on search engine indexing a few years ago?

Since 2007
Quote:
Or have they made it more worser?

No

Quote:
I've just checked through my picture albums and pretty much all of them were set to 'Everyone'.

Realistically who is going to see them other than friends of friends?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:11 
Unpossible!

Mr Dave wrote:
Quote:
I've just checked through my picture albums and pretty much all of them were set to 'Everyone'.

Realistically who is going to see them other than friends of friends?

EVERYONE! DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND? THEY'RE WATCHING ME RIGHT NOW!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:33 
Master of dodgy spelling....

*watches dave on his spare monitor*

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:34 
Paws for thought

Do not care.

Most of my photos are not of me anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:37 
Gogmagog

Mr Dave wrote:
Do not care.

Most of my photos are not of me anyway.

I thank the good Lord for small mercies.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:55 
SavyGamer

This is my new profile pic:

Edit: By default, anyone can see that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 13:00 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Bless Lewie, i did not know you were 12.. but don't you look cute :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 14:15 
Pyrotechnician!!!1

Kovaxmas wrote:
Bless Lewie, i did not know you were 12.. but don't you look cute :)

I actually thought he'd used a picture of me for a joke for a few seconds :S

Nice specs though.

WARNING!!! DO NOT CLICK THIS UNLESS YOU CAN HANDLE THE SIGHT OF MAXIMUM PWNAGE!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 14:18 
Unpossible!

Should have a comma after 'you', surely?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 0:45 
SavyGamer

I look a lot younger without facial hair.

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next