Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: essay ahoy
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 13:22 
Time Out for Fun

So I've got another essay for university and this time it isn't lame and based on someone elses case study, so I can write a decent essay on videogames for once. The question is a bit meh as its trying to relate many fields but Im only concentrating on gaming. The question:

Discuss the applications, benefits and limitations of virtual reality in one of the following – medicine, entertainment, communications or gaming.

Im probably going to base the essay on bioshock, as theres absolutely loads of analysis of it, and the whole 'revelation' of giving the player a morale choice. I'm going to put stuff like this in the limitations part of it, stuff like choice, technology, interaction and game mechanics with the game, and compare it to other older games where technology and narrative havent hindered their appeal to today.
I'll also bring up far cry 2, that is speaking a good game in that it will have several choices and will contain multiple storylines and endings depending on how you play it, although it sounds like a great premise will it have a strong narrative and gaming world like bioshock, I doubt it. Surely the more quantity a game needs to include more storylines and characters there not as going to be as effective as a linear story like bioshock. Also RPG's as a counter point.
Theres apparently a whole 50/50 argument between narrative versus game mechanics between video game writers, which i find hard to believe but was brought up a bit in lecture and seminar so ill have to write about.

Ive had a shit nights sleep and Ill be suprised if that paragraph is coherent but anything you'd think would be good to add, remove, maybe a different game to focus on, even just to add your 2 pence to the topic is fine.

Post subject: Re: essay ahoy
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 13:24 
lazy eye patch

GTA IV. Virtual city, virtual people, virtual mobile phone, virtual internet... you get the idea.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 13:25 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Runcle wrote:
Im probably going to base the essay on bioshock, as theres absolutely loads of analysis of it, and the whole 'revelation' of giving the player a morale choice.

Even though it's the lamest, most consequence-free moral choice ever? Even KOTOR did morality better than Bioshock.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 13:26 
Gogmagog

EvE online as it's full of dysfunctional 'tards.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 13:31 
Time Out for Fun

Craster wrote:
Runcle wrote:
Im probably going to base the essay on bioshock, as theres absolutely loads of analysis of it, and the whole 'revelation' of giving the player a morale choice.

Even though it's the lamest, most consequence-free moral choice ever? Even KOTOR did morality better than Bioshock.

Yeah I'll be bringing that up, was the only narrative change the ending?
and the change in game mechanics was pretty much you gained more red stuff for killing them but in the end kind of evened out if you were consistently 'good'. so yeah not as revolutionary and some reviews spout on, ill be hunting for a quote like that to rip apart.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 13:33 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

As Mali said, Eve's a good one, as it's personal choice the whole way through. There's loads of online resource material, too.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 13:35 
Time Out for Fun

CUS wrote:
GTA IV. Virtual city, virtual people, virtual mobile phone, virtual internet... you get the idea.

yeah, I've been thinking of that maybe as a possibility, but I wouldn't know how I'd feel doing a game I hadnt fully played through or experienced yet. Also there is a small choice to the narrative in GTA IV aswell, so it would kind of equal out.

about that choice in GTA IV

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I wish I fucking killed Dwayne now, Im sick of the fucking whining about his hard knock life, cheer up you fucking miserable bastard.

also on the basis of eve, I know nothing about it, whereas I played Bioshock quite alot.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 13:51 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Runcle wrote:
Craster wrote:
Runcle wrote:

Yeah I'll be bringing that up, was the only narrative change the ending?

Um, if you're you're doing most of your essay on Bioshock, isn't this something that you should know?

Don't forget Black & White, a game so focused on providing choice it used the tagline 'Find out who you really are' and came in a black and a white box.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 13:53 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Grim... wrote:
Don't forget Black & White, a game so focused on providing choice it was over ambitious to the point of not doing anything very well, most of all the animal which was it's USP and came in a black and a white box.

FTFY.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 14:35 
What-ho, chaps!

The only way the animal would have a USP was if it were Solid Snake.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 14:41 
lazy eye patch

Or a Cafeinitstummy Rex.

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]