Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wine
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 20:03 
lazy eye patch

Would rioja be any good with spicy fish?

Post subject: Re: Wine
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 20:37 
Isn't that lovely?

CUS wrote:
Would rioja be any good with spicy fish?

I don't like spicy fish, and I'm not keen on Red Wine.

My advice would be "Suck it and see"

Malc

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 20:47 
lazy eye patch

Heh. Well, I know white wine is preferred with fish, but it's not a Hard & Fast rule. I've had some absolutely gorgeous fish n' red wine servings before, but when I wasn't of a mind to ask what I was eating.

I have some company (nothing sexy/exciting) on Tuesday. I'm thinking of a spicy chili salmon fillet, herby new potatoes, baby carrots, green beans, and some appropriate wine. I'm not really much for salmon, but ah well.

I thought I'd try some Rioja 'cos I'm sick of Dimrill and now Curiosity going on about it, but I have no idea if it'd be at all appropriate. I imagine not, but it was a decent pretext on which to start a nice middle-class thread.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 20:50 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Rioja is apparently okay with paella, including fish/prawn flavours. You can use this as an excuse if you need to.

Or you could chang half the bottle and then it won't seem to matter!

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 21:03 
lazy eye patch

Ah, well, my company won't know either probably. I just don't want it to taste awful.

I know cheerfully nothing about wine. I know just enough to say that this is my favourite grape variety.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 21:20 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

A strong meaty fish with Chili would be able to be served with a Rioja. The important thing is to be able to taste the fish with the Rioja coating your palette. An oily fish would be preferred too, and salmon just about fulfills both of those prerequisites. I reckon it's worth a go.

If you're not a big fan of salmon, find something else. There's a huge variety of fish out there, and most big supermarkets carry a decent range on their fish counter. I had some lovely kingklip once. I had no idea what it was until after I'd cooked and eaten it, then hit up the internet and found out it was a large South American eel.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 21:29 
lazy eye patch

Thanks Craster. It's going to be salmon because I had promised a 'free meal' to someone, and they insisted on salmon and steamed veg. I don't hate salmon though, and I'm hopeful that with the various spices (chili particularly) it will be tasty.

It's supposed to be oven baked - it's a whole salmon fillet. I'd appreciate if anyone has any suggestions for tasty things to do with a baking tray full of gently roasting salmon, and what juices there may be. I don't really 'do' fish, though I do like it a lot.

Also, wine. *puts on 'Dummy' by Portishead*

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 21:32 
EvilTrousers

I find the best wine with fish, or indeed any dish, is that which is at or around £4/5 in Tescos/Moggies etc having been reduced from £8 or £10.

Tonight for instance tonight I am slurping South Africa's First Cape Shiraz 2006 vintage which was half price in Tescos and tastes fucking great with erm Doritos and Transform-a-Snacks.

I'm reet cultured me.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 21:39 

Trousers wrote:
Tonight for instance tonight I am slurping South Africa's First Cape Shiraz 2006 vintage which was half price in Tescos and tastes fucking great with erm Doritos and Transform-a-Snacks.

I'm reet cultured me.

"And what would you have with this wine?"

"I'd have a fag."

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 21:42 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Hmm. I'd say lay the fish out on a big bit of tinfoil, finely slice fresh chillies and a bit of ginger and spread over the top of the fish. Dot over some butter, drizzle with soy, and pour over a glass of the rioja, trying not to wash the chili and ginger off the top of the fish. Wrap it up, and cook it in the oven for about 15 minutes so it pretty mich steams. Open up the parcel and pour the juices into the pan. Put the fish back into the oven uncovered for about 10 more minutes to colour up while you reduce the fuck out of the juices. You may want to add a bit more soy and butter to the juices.

For the potatoes, I'd say wash them off, then cook them in the oven in their skins in a tray with butter and a few relevant chopped herbs for about 20 minutes. Transfer them to a bowl, add salt & pepper and a good glug of olive oil, then bash them up. Don't mash them, just break them up,

That's what I'd do, anyway.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 22:45 
Best
Board Mother

Trousers wrote:

I'm reet cultured me.

:luv: :luv: :luv:

*swigs wine*

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:00 
Sleepyhead

Trousers wrote:
I find the best wine with fish, or indeed any dish, is that which is at or around £4/5 in Tescos/Moggies etc having been reduced from £8 or £10.

Amusingly, the Rioja thing spawned from the current Tesco offer of a 14 quid bottle down to 7 quid. I've not tasted it yet, but I can TASTE THE BARGAIN!

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]